PDA

View Full Version : M109R Boulevard

zadok
6th October 2005, 10:12
Suzuki are releasing a new cruiser for next year.
M109R Boulevard. 1783cc; Liquid cooled; Fuel Injection.
Not bad, but I've seen better. My gripe with most of these bikes is the exhausts. I know they are big motors and you have to get rid of the gasses, but they are so BIG.

skelstar
6th October 2005, 10:15
Article here Z. Good piccies too:
http://www.motorcycledaily.com/03october05_2006suzuki_m109r.htm

TonyB
6th October 2005, 10:18
I read in a mag article about the original RSV Millie that the big pipes are needed to allow a decent flow whilst reducing noise. Sounds like a good theory I thought. My FZR has a rather huge can- as pointed out by the highly insensitive Sniper. So I gave the above reason for it being so large. Then Speedy Girl and Rashika said "Well it doesn't work then- I could hear your bike over mine" So much for that theory... I mean one of them was riding a rattly old Buell that vibrates so much that bits keep falling off it...

vifferman
6th October 2005, 10:28
Bear in mind that EU and US noise regulations are being tightened up. Currently in many countries, bikes are allowed to be noisier than cars, possibly because engine noise is not masked as much by substantial bodywork.

F'rinstance, Harley USA have (apparently) dropped drag pipes and so on from their catalogue of standard accessories and bunged them into an "offroad only / competition" category to appease the Greenies or Gummint or whoever.

Hopefully that will trickle down to here, and we'll eventually see fewer Screamin' Eagle piped HDs blatting around the streets with apparent immunity.

I don't mind anything that's a bit louder than stock, if it sounds nice, but there's a difference between pipe music and a barrage of out-and-out noise.

And then there's droney, automatic-transmissioned BoiRacR cars, but let's not go there...

Waylander
6th October 2005, 10:37
And everyone says Yamaha are Harley wannabes? Not alot different in the looks of that thing and the v-rod. Very simaler lines...

skidz
6th October 2005, 10:40
That's nearly as ugly as those big Hondas. I noticed it also is a single seater.

Vifferman, what's wrong with a bit of noise from a Harley? It's music to my ears.

TonyB
6th October 2005, 10:51
Hopefully that will trickle down to here, and we'll eventually see fewer Screamin' Eagle piped HDs blatting around the streets with apparent immunity.

I don't mind anything that's a bit louder than stock, if it sounds nice, but there's a difference between pipe music and a barrage of out-and-out noise.

Going off topic here, but yeh thats something that amuses me too. Some of the Harleys riding around are farking loud, yet they seem to get away with it. A VERY loud Harely came past my house one quiet peaceful night, and headed off down tunnel road. I could still easily hear it when it got to the roundabout at the end- 3.5ks away. I could still hear it every now and again several minutes later.... the rider must be deaf by now...

Rashika
6th October 2005, 10:58
I read in a mag article about the original RSV Millie that the big pipes are needed to allow a decent flow whilst reducing noise. Sounds like a good theory I thought. My FZR has a rather huge can- as pointed out by the highly insensitive Sniper. So I gave the above reason for it being so large. Then Speedy Girl and Rashika said "Well it doesn't work then- I could hear your bike over mine" So much for that theory... I mean one of them was riding a rattly old Buell that vibrates so much that bits keep falling off it...

ooooooo I SAW that! .....and yes I could hear it over mine, most of the time. altho just barely as ya was behind me a fair bit :dodge:

vifferman
6th October 2005, 11:10
Vifferman, what's wrong with a bit of noise from a Harley? It's music to my ears.
Depends how loud it is, and too many 'piped' Harleys are just excessively and objectionably loud. When it's quiet at night or in the early morning, the only traffic noise I can hear is the sound of drag pipe-equipped HDs on the Harbour Bridge and motorway, which must be at least 3 or 4 km away. That means they're louder than any trucks, bOi RacR cars, other bikes or any other traffic.

I guess too it's a bit subjective, but I prefer the sound of 90 degree V-twins (or V4s) anyway. Although I like vegetables, Potato-Potato isn't part of my preferred diet.

Waylander
6th October 2005, 11:14
The Harley sound isn't really that loud though Viffer. Just that it is so much a deeper sound and more solid than anything a car can make so it carries farther.

Like a guy with a very deep grumbling voice can be hear over a large crowed that most peaple would have to shout just to hear themselfs.

zadok
6th October 2005, 11:17
The Harley sound isn't really that loud though Viffer. Just that it is so much a deeper sound and more solid than anything a car can make so it carries farther.

Like a guy with a very deep grumbling voice can be hear over a large crowed that most peaple would have to shout just to hear themselfs.
Yankee spelling? :hitcher:

Waylander
6th October 2005, 11:22
<_<:bleh::hitcher::finger::shifty::whistle:..........

Hitcher
6th October 2005, 12:15
This must be Suzuki's last gasp with a Kawasaki-based cruiser. I don't know whether I like that nosegear or not. The rest looks OK, but not as nice as that big Yamaha...

TonyB
6th October 2005, 12:50
ooooooo I SAW that! .....and yes I could hear it over mine, most of the time. altho just barely as ya was behind me a fair bit :dodge:
There are at least four possible smartarsed responses to this:

Smartarsed Response Number One:
We were racing?? Honey, if that's as fast as ya Buell can go then you've got BIG problems...

Smartarsed Response Number Two:
I was following you for a reason. I was picking up all the bits that fell off!

Smartarsed Response Number Three:
I was following you for a reason. I wanted to make sure you didn't get left out there alone when it broke down!

Smartarsed Response Number Four:
I was following you for a reason. I was checking out your butt! :love: :devil2:

Rashika
6th October 2005, 13:27
There are at least four possible smartarsed responses to this:

Smartarsed Response Number One:
We were racing?? Honey, if that's as fast as ya Buell can go then you've got BIG problems...
oh pleeeeeeeeze.... dont get me going, I was only in third gear....and yup got a couple more up my sleeve :apumpin:

Smartarsed Response Number Two:
I was following you for a reason. I was picking up all the bits that fell off!
@#$^%&*&....the bits had already fallen off at that stage....not that it made any difference whatsoever....prob more important to have all the bits intact on your old beast :devil2:

Smartarsed Response Number Three:
I was following you for a reason. I wanted to make sure you didn't get left out there alone when it broke down!
break down....why would that happen?
:innocent:

Smartarsed Response Number Four:
I was following you for a reason. I was checking out your butt! :love: :devil2:
I'M GONNA TELL M ON YOU!!!!!

TonyB
6th October 2005, 13:42
oh pleeeeeeeeze.... dont get me going, I was only in third gear....and yup got a couple more up my sleeve :apumpin: Yep, and I had about 8000rpm up mine

@#$^%&*&....the bits had already fallen off at that stage....not that it made any difference whatsoever....prob more important to have all the bits intact on your old beast :devil2:
16 years old and nuthins fallen off it yet

break down....why would that happen?
:innocent: Who makes the engine again?...

I'M GONNA TELL M ON YOU!!!!! :lol: :killingme No need. She keeps an eye on me- pops in here to see what I'm doing :o :spudwave: M honey!

Rashika
6th October 2005, 13:49
16 years old and nuthins fallen off it yet

Gee i thought you were older than that TonyB?? Musta started young
maybe time something was removed..... :devil2:

:lol: :killingme No need. She keeps an eye on me- pops in here to see what I'm doing :o :spudwave: M honey!
...and I can SEE that that would be a full-time job too! :dodge:

Lou Girardin
6th October 2005, 16:04

Get the new Micron system we've just fitted to the XB12SS, you won't hear anything else.
Don't even need a horn, 2000 rpm does the trick.

Macktheknife
6th October 2005, 16:32
Depends how loud it is, and too many 'piped' Harleys are just excessively and objectionably loud. When it's quiet at night or in the early morning, the only traffic noise I can hear is the sound of drag pipe-equipped HDs on the Harbour Bridge and motorway, which must be at least 3 or 4 km away. That means they're louder than any trucks, bOi RacR cars, other bikes or any other traffic.

I guess too it's a bit subjective, but I prefer the sound of 90 degree V-twins (or V4s) anyway. Although I like vegetables, Potato-Potato isn't part of my preferred diet.

What I have to add to this is simple
LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES.
There, take that! lol
Seriously though, at least if they can hear you they might
start looking for you, instead of just claiming "I never saw him" after they have flattened you.
Just a foot note, deep thunder pipes do carry over quite a distance, just like a good voice!