PDA

View Full Version : Bike for a Big Boy

Colapop
6th October 2005, 12:44
Short story first; got learners lisence, need own bike, have ridden before. I'm 6'4" and 120kgs so I'd like a bike that physically fits or at least isn't a clown bike on me! I guess the answer is going to be something like "A GN250 will be ok for starters" But I thought I'd ask anyways. Suggestions?

Big Dave
6th October 2005, 12:54
Short story first; got learners lisence, need own bike, have ridden before. I'm 6'4" and 120kgs so I'd like a bike that physically fits or at least isn't a clown bike on me! I guess the answer is going to be something like "A GN250 will be ok for starters" But I thought I'd ask anyways. Suggestions?

Share the pain, I make a Rocket 3 and a road king look clownesque.

If I was starting now I'd get a trail bike. Stick some dual purpose tyres on it. They are tall, heaps more fun to ride than a 250 cruiser and you might even dig the dirt enough to keep it after you are unrestricted.

I like the gasgas pampiera at the mo. Nice all round bike. Some nice Hondas @ 250cc too.

Colapop
6th October 2005, 13:31
I'd thought about a Trail bike - I like the height too but I'd like a tidy road bike. How much cost is it to get duals put on? I spose I could get it done at purchase. I thought about just going straight to a 750, not really legal (or maybe not at all) I know but it'd save me having to buy a new bike in a couple of months. I quite like 'something like a GSX or VFR

WildBoarMouse
6th October 2005, 13:38
The GSX250's are quite a big 250cc bike. I'm 6'3", and about 100kg and it's more than fine. Also has more grunt than the GN's

dawnrazor
6th October 2005, 13:41
trail bike or a supermoto style road bike, you won't have you knees around your ears and you'll be able to see over all the bloody suvs

Colapop
6th October 2005, 13:56
I had a look in Wgtn Motorcycles at a GSX250. They had one parked next to a GN. I like the dirt/supermoto idea. Just had a chat to a lad at work here who's got a savage sitting in the shed doing nothing - 5 hundy might steal it for me! Many thoughts, many thoughts........

Colapop
6th October 2005, 13:57
Sorry a Suzuki Savage - I'll have to google it to know what it looks like

James Deuce
6th October 2005, 14:00
Hyosung GT250 is a full sized bike. Mate who would be 6'2" and 95-100kg fit one without looking like he was on a monkey bike.

Riff Raff
6th October 2005, 15:36
Hyosung GT250 is a full sized bike. Mate who would be 6'2" and 95-100kg fit one without looking like he was on a monkey bike.

A friend of mine from work has just got one of these. He's about the same size as your mate Jim2 and he's having a ball on it. He tried a number of bikes before settling on this as it was best suited to his size.

Smorg
6th October 2005, 15:38
GET A HARLEY :headbang: :headbang:

riffer
6th October 2005, 18:17
GET A HARLEY :headbang: :headbang:

Harley haven't made a 250 since they were owned by AMC.

The Hyusong would be a good option. Are there any second hand ones around yet?

Perhaps skelstar could offer an opinion on it. PM him and ask him about it, I guess.

Hitcher
6th October 2005, 21:15
The Hornet and the Zeal are also "full size" 250s. Buying new, I'd go for the Hyosung.

Colapop
11th October 2005, 10:36
Thanks for all the advice and info. I had a really good look around on the weekend (and tried a couple). The Hyusong is a good size and I liked it, although the seat felt a little too far forward. I suppose that's just something to get used to. The wife is the only thing holding me back from a new bikenow - something about buying a house??? I can't ride a house it'd be like riding a Harley!!
Yeah yeah I'm o fresh and new what would I know........ har har

T.W.R
21st October 2005, 23:59
i'm 6'4" & 105kg know your pain dude, spent plenty of time lookin like a gorilla on a tonka toy. a chook chaser 250 would be fine but if your set on a road bike & have the coin to do it find a yamaha RZ250 & sling a RZ350 motor in it only you'll know the diff or even get a GPZ or ZZR kawasaki 250 and slip a GPZ500 donk in that, easy repowers on both counts & visibly no different to the naked eye plus they make great toys

Thumper
22nd October 2005, 06:48
6'4" and 110kg's.... I managed to find a Kawa KLE250 Adventure style bike which I rode for a year before upgrading to the VL1500. I never felt like an idiot on the KLE, and with the dual purpose tyres, the bike was great on tar, gravel and mud. Good size tank, nice and tall, comfy on the bum after 200km’s. Bought it for $2500, sold it for $2500 16 months later.

luke-g
28th October 2005, 07:43
Just weighing in, I have a Hyosung comet GT250 (sorry, had) and it is (sorry, it was) fantastic. 6'4, and the bike fits (sorry, fit) me like a glove. Until it was stolen, this morning. Am I bitter? i'm not bitter. Great bike, anyway.

Mattyc
29th October 2005, 12:34
The 93 Banana Arm RGV 250 ( M model from memory, fuck i dont know) is a large 250, also it has balls to burn, acceleration and good handling, only thing is = kick start. but its a 2 stroke, not really hard to start, theres a few other 2 stroke 250s around, but that model is quite big and has a 5 inch wide x 17 inch rear rim that can run a 160 rear tyre nicely, usd forks, twin front discs. blah blah blah. about the same as a vfr400 powerwise.

Cibby
30th October 2005, 01:21
well..

Dont get a CBR.. it will be to small i thinks... I'm 5'5" and threee quarters and it is good for me

In saying that hou Texmo (6 footish) got one and he seems allirght.

Good luck,

parsley
30th October 2005, 02:53
The Hornet and the Zeal are also "full size" 250s. Buying new, I'd go for the Hyosung.
I'm 6' and 110 kg (weird mix of Imperial and Metric there) and the Hornet fits me nicely. Plenty of grunt at the low to midrange to get me out of the lights ahead of the cages but I haven't got it over 120-ish (haven't tried that hard, though). Maybe I should eat more beans...

Cibby
30th October 2005, 02:56
watties no less....

or so i heard..

Gremlin
30th October 2005, 03:00
Nobody has really mentioned the ZZR250. Not bad if you want a fairing option. Suspension wise, 100kg is too heavy I have found for the default (having mine stiffened).

Certainly bigger than some of the 250s, probably one of the biggest I have been led to believe. Acceleration off the mark is enough to easily get into trouble (shift into 3rd is at 60 or more), but roll-on acceleration and up hills is umm... non-existant without a lot of gear shifting.

Speed wise, it certainly isn't as quick as a ZXR or CBR, but tippity top speed is 160 (depends slightly on person's size and terrain, wind resistance behind screen is very important to it at that speed)

edit: I'm 6' 3 and 100kg

Cibby
30th October 2005, 03:03
* Insert Bevis and Butt head Laugh Here*

haha ughg ahhahaah

CBR's Rule

*haha.. dude. you said CBR.. haeheh

*like uh huh dude..

hahshfh

*end Bevis and Butthead Laugh

Mattyc
30th October 2005, 07:48
The Rgv250 has oooodles more grunt that any 4 smoke 250, enough for easy wheelies, i am a fat bastard of 100kg, but im a short ass, and the rgv i could tippee toe on it on both legs (on my zx9r its a little higher and wider but thats expected for a big whale of a 900)

the RGV even has a bigger seat, might need to be re-foamed.. GO THE RGV

Colapop
30th October 2005, 17:25
The plan now is to refurbish the Savage and trade it on a newer bike. I'd really like a GSX750 so I might wait 'til my time is up for my lisence and get one when I have my full. I've also investigated CBTA course and I'll do that to reduce the time between my restricted and full. Before anybody gets all jumped about experience etc. I have ridden before. Before being up to about 10 years ago. I had my full lisence but was stupid and we won't discuss that, suffice to say I didn't renew my bike lisence.
The Hyosung Comet GT250 is a good ride for my size. The only thing I found was that the seat seemed along way forward. Oh well watch this space....

Lias
11th November 2005, 10:48
At 6'2 and 135ish (yes that makes me a fat cunt), I make the GN250 look a bit clownesque.

Not as badly as I made my old Streetmagic look thou :2thumbsup

iwilde
11th November 2005, 11:22
Check out what I ride in the new members section, it's perfect for round town riding. I'm 6'3" and 108kg