PDA

View Full Version : Warming up the Beast

Black
6th October 2005, 12:58
I was wondering how everyone warms up their beasties in the mornings/before you ride.

Do you just start it and let it idle for 5mins while you get the rest of your gears on?
Do you rev it up while stationary?

Also, approx how long does it take for your bike to warm up?

My approach (which maybe/probably is wrong) is to start the bike up & leave it idling whilst I put on my gear - usually takes about 5 mins.

Is this a good approach or is there a better method for warming it up?

Oh yeah, my bike is a TZR250 (2 Stroke), do these require a different warm-up to the 4 strokers?

Thanks
Kevin

Jamiepo
6th October 2005, 13:00
Most guys I've talked to said it was better to just ride it. The bike tends to warm up faster which means less wear time.

Matt Bleck
6th October 2005, 13:04
I like to let it idle till the temp registers on the lcd display. But thats a four stroke.

Two strokes can carbon up the plugs if left idling to long.....

WRT
6th October 2005, 13:08
I always warm it up while putting on my gear, and wont ride off till there is something - anything - registering on the LCD temp gauge. Would not like to put load on it while fully cold, I would have thought that would cause a LOT more wear than just letting it idle? One of the mechanics here might like to confirm or deny?

With the two stroke, I do the same, always warm it up before riding. The manual (good lord, did I just admit to reading it?? Damn . . .) says to warm up for several minutes before riding, and to not "blip" the throttle while doing so. I figure the person who wrote that probably knows a thing or two about the engine, so I take their advice ;)

James Deuce
6th October 2005, 13:10
30 seconds is all it takes to get lubricant moving in a four stroke engine. I used to warm my two strokes up for a couple of minutes.

bugjuice
6th October 2005, 13:10
I usually fire the bike up, then continue zipping up my jacket, putting my lid on and gloves. By that time, it should have started to get lubed and warm. I have a digital read out, which kicks off at 40°c, so until that reads, I just ride real easy, changing around 2500, then as the temp builds up to normal running (around 65+ (74-80 is the norm)), I start riding how I normally do. The other bikes I've had, I've done the same thing, but instead of a digital readout, it's just watching the needle move..

Winter and summer will obvisouly affect different warm up periods, and each bike will warm up itself too.. and where you live..

skelstar
6th October 2005, 13:15
I dont have to use the choke (barely) and my driveway/road/exit route from my house is all down hill so its very little strain. Bit of an issue when I was learning to ride though..

manuboy
6th October 2005, 13:21
The lads at the zook shop told me never to ride it until she was at least 75 degrees. So i usually wait until 45-50 .... normally that takes about 1-2 minutes for a cold start.....

Paul in NZ
6th October 2005, 13:26
30 seconds is all it takes to get lubricant moving in a four stroke engine. I used to warm my two strokes up for a couple of minutes.

Um.... Might be true for your highly efficient modern stuff.... You know, the stuff with little soul...

The Moto Guzzi requires written notification, in advance AND on official note paper, of any attempt at starting or idling. Being generously equipped with proper lubricant (think swamp like stuff more akin to honey that the water you use) fins and not having a shred of atificial cooling it takes more than 30 seconds to reach anything like operating temp, even in the sahara on a hot day...

A gentle canter around the block of 10km or so does the job....

Even then....

The Stranger
6th October 2005, 13:30
Start it and ride it straight away, no warm up required. Just don't cane it until the motor is at running temp. I figure this also lets tyres warm a bit too.

GR81
6th October 2005, 14:24
i start mine up, leave it running while i pull on the gloves and helmet then nana it for a while till i feel that its warmed up...

... also, does anyone know whats involved as far as installing a temp gauge on a bike is concerned?

Motu
6th October 2005, 14:47
Start and ride off after 30sec - idling is not good for engines,cold idling is worse.But the 2 stroke pings something fearful when cold,feels like it's going to come apart,so will have to experiment some on that one....

Dadpole
6th October 2005, 15:00
Always just jump on, start and ride off myself. Max idle time of around 10 - 15 seconds and keep in the lower half of the rev range for the first km or so. Over 30 years riding and never had major engine issues, but i am fussy about routine maintenance.

scumdog
6th October 2005, 16:15
When I got my first iron-head sporty a female workmate told me "my boy-friend had one, I use to warm it up for him"

I asked all mechanical-minded "For how long, what sort of revs?"

Her reply? "oh, I dunno, just long enough for the seat to get slippery enough for me to fall off"

What did she mean????? :blip:

ManDownUnder
6th October 2005, 16:17
When I got my first iron-head sporty a female workmate told me "my boy-friend had one, I use to warm it up for him"

I asked all mechanical-minded "For how long, what sort of revs?"

Her reply? "oh, I dunno, just long enough for the seat to get slippery enough for me to fall off"

What did she mean????? :blip:

She means that she wants to meet the legendary ManDownUnder and you need to send me her phone number...

Sheesh - do I have to spell everything out? :whistle:

ManDownUnder
6th October 2005, 16:20
Start it and ride it straight away, no warm up required. Just don't cane it until the motor is at running temp. I figure this also lets tyres warm a bit too.

Yup - what he said
MDU

Black
6th October 2005, 16:27
Hmmm ... Get the missus to warm it/herself up, I like the sound of that :niceone: .

Motorbikes truly are a multipurpose, time saving peice of machinery!

2much
6th October 2005, 16:33
Agree with Motu, I wouldn't allow the engine to idle for more than about 2 mins. At idle there isn't generally enough oil pressure to properly lubricate all areas of the engine, particularily the heads, OHC's, etc. Plus, having the engine running while on an angle (ie:bike sitting on side stand) doesn't help proper lubrication either.
Best to warm up at normal operating speeds, just keep the load down (ie:no full throttle or hard acceleration) and don't rev it too high (normal rpm at 100kms is a good limit to use).

This same procedure should be used for cages as well...... trust me, I've owned mazda rotaries for the last 6 yrs..... nothing kills them quicker than bad/no warm up.

The Stranger
6th October 2005, 16:38
trust me, I've owned mazda rotaries for the last 6 yrs..... nothing kills them quicker than bad/no warm up.

Not exactly your typical motorbike engine though is it?

Zed
6th October 2005, 17:53
I was wondering how everyone warms up their beasties in the mornings/before you ride.30-60 seconds and then I'm "hi-ho Silver (Blackie actually) away"!

Sometimes, if I'm in a rush, I'll start it up and ride away without letting it idle for any length of time.

Mr Black, I think allowing your bike to warm up goes hand in hand with keeping it regularly maintained! :rolleyes:

SlashWylde
6th October 2005, 18:24
Let her idle with the choke on whilst I'm closing the garage door and donning my helmet and gloves, then ease out into traffic. Let the choke out a minute or two later.

Bonez
6th October 2005, 18:39
I was wondering how everyone warms up their beasties in the mornings/before you ride.

Do you just start it and let it idle for 5mins while you get the rest of your gears on?
Do you rev it up while stationary?

Also, approx how long does it take for your bike to warm up?

My approach (which maybe/probably is wrong) is to start the bike up & leave it idling whilst I put on my gear - usually takes about 5 mins.

Is this a good approach or is there a better method for warming it up?

Oh yeah, my bike is a TZR250 (2 Stroke), do these require a different warm-up to the 4 strokers?

Thanks
KevinCan't speak for 2 strokes but I've two air cooled 4 stroke inline 4s that I've used your warm up method with, using a bit of choke. Both have over a 100,000kms up and increasing...................

scooterboynz
7th October 2005, 08:04
me , start up bike , put on helmet , usually by then showing 45 deg , then start riding , dont give it heaps until up to normal operating temp , which is usually another few mins of riding ,,,,

DemonWolf
7th October 2005, 09:24
Start up the bike... wheel it out of the garge, lock garge, sit on bike putting on lid and gloves.. temp showing 40+ degree's on lcd.. ride outta town doing speed limit low revs.. then at open road the bike is at operating temp (78-82 degree) and I'm off doing my normal road speeds....

kerryg
7th October 2005, 09:58

Well personally, I find mine is already warm, and when it comes to riding, no further warming is needed, although it does seem to respond to a little manual encouragement :blip:

Bonez
7th October 2005, 16:04
Well personally, I find mine is already warm, and when it comes to riding, no further warming is needed, although it does seem to respond to a little manual encouragement :blip:Don't thing the thread originator was refering to sheep.......................

Sniper
9th October 2005, 14:09

Exactly, I once had a mechanic whom I wouold have trusted with my mother say to me, "All this crap about warming up bikes and cars are shite. Just get the oil flowing around the engine for 10 seconds and then don't be stupid. Wait for it to warm up if you want to ride hard"

Those were really true words that I obey daily.

Bonez
9th October 2005, 14:57
" Wait for it to warm up if you want to ride hard"

Sniper
9th October 2005, 15:25

Point being??????????

sunhuntin
9th October 2005, 15:29
usually choke out, start bike [make sure headlight is off] gloves on, throw leg over seat, pull out onto the road. ride to the first corner [maybe 3 mins of riding at speed limit] choke part or whole way in, depending how much time i have to stuff around with it. then by the time i get to the bottom of the hill shes ready for whatever [doesnt stop her arsing around though :argh: ] also depends if shes got overly wet since last ride. usually shes under shelter, but sometimes thats not possible

Bonez
9th October 2005, 15:36
Point being??????????Just warming my bike up.................... :drinkup:

Storm
9th October 2005, 20:21
Give it a minute to get warm then tootle off on it. Then again,it is just a GN and not exactly a fire breather :D :bleh:

Bonez
10th October 2005, 20:35
Give it a minute to get warm then tootle off on it. Then again,it is just a GN and not exactly a fire breather :D :bleh:Depends what you comprare it to. A C50 for example. :doobey:

Pixie
10th October 2005, 21:44
I was wondering how everyone warms up their beasties in the mornings
The mammals should already be warm.....If they aren't dig a hole and bury them.
The reptiles need to bask in the sun a while

Wonko
10th October 2005, 23:11
Start the bike, helmet on, shades on, gloves on. All up about a minute. Quiet riding until I'm past the speed camera. When the temp gague starts to move, choke off, and then I'm riding.

FROSTY
10th October 2005, 23:47
MY bike--polish fairings,check air pressures, Check water acidity in radiator,check contaminent level in oil.start and allow to idle as I put lid on
ride gently for 10km then ride briskly.
BORROWED bike --start bike -thrash the shit outa bike

Storm
11th October 2005, 06:05
Its a rental dont be gentle eh Frosty? Wonder how many folk'll lend you their bikes now?:bleh:

Sniper
11th October 2005, 08:44
I work with Rentals and you will be surprised at how many people employ that method of thinking.

SimJen
11th October 2005, 09:49
I always let my NSR warm up till it was registering at least 50+ on the temp gauge. Two strokes must be warmed otherwise the risk of cold seizure is greatly increased.
My gixxer gets warmed up to the same temp before riding, usually start it then put my gear on which by the time I'm finished means its about spot on. I don't ring it out until its fully up to temp.

cowpoos
11th October 2005, 21:20
I start it....let it "fAST IDLE" [because there is better oil pressure than a normal Idle] until the temp reaches 75-85 [operating temp is 81-84] and then short shift and ride slowly [low revs] for five-six mins...the temp on a LCD disply is water temp....it takes about 4-8 times aslong for oil to reach operating temp...

classic zed
24th October 2005, 22:37
I just fire it up and ride it gently until it is up to temperature.

Leaving an engine idling on choke if it is fitted with carbs causes excess fuel in the cylinder, this will wash the oil from the bore and cause greater wear. :argh:

Fuel injection is different because the amount of fuel is precisely metered, readings from air temp, engine temp, air flow meter, throttle potentiometer etc are fed to the ecu which controls the injector duration and, if fitted, a cold start jet. :done:

XP@
25th October 2005, 10:50
Helmet & gloves on.
sit on bike, set off, choke out, clutch in, start engine, left turn, right turn on to main road and into 2nd gear... (gr8 to live at the top of a hill, especially if your battery is dead)

Whilst on the subject, don't forget to warm up your tyres too. when cold they have a lot less grip than after a few km's. You don't need to do the weaving you see the racers do, but it is useful to have a few km's under your rubber before you try crankin it over too far.

fishb8nz
27th October 2005, 05:42
A buddy of mine started off from cold, during winter, and fell off on the first corner when the engine "coughed" half-way round.
Definitely, start engine and put your gear on.

ducatilover
27th October 2005, 06:34
i just broke my clutch lever :crybaby: i turned the gn on all sweet as, went in side to get my bag and my gear, put gear on outside to enjoy sun, walk towards bike thinking of how i am going to cane it this fine day, and as i get close it started to make graunching noises :mellow: so i ran at it to get the kill switch and just before i got it it slipped into second and "rode" 1m orso as i still tried to catch it but this time to put clutch in. it dropped and snapped the clutch lever right where its not ment to break [as close to the bolt as possible ofcourse] so i now cant ride the motherfucking thing, and i really needed to get to my course as i have 2 tests today, oh well. i have tried to adjust the clutch but its broken right where it cant work. :argh:

notme
27th October 2005, 15:17
Winter......remote start......inside with a coffee......niiiiiiice. :tugger:

Korea
27th October 2005, 15:40
CBR600RR Method: Caress lovingly, start by speaking soothingly to it, fondle the rubber and check for pressure, turn it on, then press that button. CBR Purrs to life and doesn't need any further stroking of throttle until hot enough to ride.
<I>Turn off ingnition, go out and find a girlfriend.</I>

Hyosung EXIV method: Jump on without warning and give it a handfulls with the button. If that doesn't work, spank her into 2nd, push from behind and drop the clutch. Big handfull of gas to redline, spanking it, I'm laughing and she's spent...
<i>Are we still talking about bikes?</I>

Cibby
30th October 2005, 01:32
CBR600RR Method: Caress lovingly, start by speaking soothingly to it, fondle the rubber and check for pressure, turn it on, then press that button. CBR Purrs to life and doesn't need any further stroking of throttle until hot enough to ride.
<I>Turn off ingnition, go out and find a girlfriend.</I>

?</I>

I'm almost speechless.. these have to be some of the most beautiful words i have ever heard....

I heard texmo reving the crap out of his brand new cold CBR engine yesterday morning.... I"m gonna tell on him... um um um um ummmm

Indiana_Jones
30th October 2005, 01:38
I walk upto her, turn the key, check that she's in neutral, start her up.
If she goes, I'm a happy chappy with a crappy nappy, get my gear while she warms and ride off.

If she doesn't start, i shout abuse at her, find a tree branch and go "I WANRED YOU!, NOW YOU'RE GONNA GET IT!".....:D

-Indy

Gremlin
30th October 2005, 01:39
I'm of the view of riding slowly to warm it up. Funnily enough, this thread comes up when I had an exam a couple of days ago in Engineering, and couldn't but stop writing when I heard people and their bikes.

1st warmed up sitting there revving it a bit (maybe putting gear on). Slowly the lumpy idle changed to a smooth one.

2nd started it and rode, leaving a wonderful exhaust note behind.

Exam? What? Oh, back to writing for me... buggar. All I wanted to do was go to my bike... <_<

notme
30th October 2005, 08:48
Aside from the technical stuff, we should remember that we are not only warming up the engine, tyres etc - but also adjusting mentally to being on the bike....

It definitley doesn't hurt to take it easy for the first few k's! :calm: