PDA

View Full Version : Honda VTR 1000 SP

modalx
3rd February 2004, 21:47
2003 VTR SP3

I've done 2000 km on the SP3 from new. I checked out the R1 and 954 just to be sure and settled it once and for all; v-twin power spins my wheels. No question both the multis are great bikes but somehow they are so superbly competent that even the power is kind of unsatisfying. Nope - I want it rough and it has to throb not buzz between my legs to make me smile.

The SP3 is apparently identical to the SP2 but these are quite different to the SP1 and a totally different beast to the VTR1000. The SP3 has noticably more power (and much smoother response) than the SP1 and both are a bit quicker than a basic 916.

Its a bit fatter to sit on than the Ducati and that makes it feel heavier but is about the same weight. The riding position is slightly more relaxed than the Duc but it is still a reach to the bars, the seat is a plank and there is a lot of weight forward. Weight on the wrists is not really an issue once you get going at open road speed but its no tourer. Doing the Coromandel loop from Hamilton is no problem if you have a good chiropracter.

Extremely tall gearing means slipping the clutch to get away. Frankly the SP is a pig around town and the 'Blade is significantly more commuter friendly.

Styling and LCD dash are love it or loathe it items. I love em both.

Thumping torquey power above 3.5k smooths out just over 5k and builds straight and strong to the 10k redline. Fuelling seems well sorted and I've had no problems with snatchiness at low revs. Gobs of pulling power for rollons at any revs in any gear and over about 7k it gets focussed and goes.

The bike is really solid and confidence inspiring at speed and that is backed up by truely excellent brakes. 2 fingers are plenty and the feedback is superb. I put a 180 rear on instead of the stock 190 and it is very agile through the twisties though maybe not as 'flickable' as the 'Blade. You need to be prepared to move around and use your weight a bit more. Power is totally user friendly especially out of corners and that is what this bike is about. A head shake when the front is unloaded under power is all I've had despite 23.5 degrees rake and no damper.

Out of the box though, the suspension is just plain rude - too firm for NZ roads and the front packed down over Coromandel corrugations. The suspension adjustments really work though and 2 clicks less rebound and 1/2 a turn less compression solved it.

The screen gives surprising protection. 6th gear is an overdrive at anything near legal speeds and you use 5th a lot when cruising. The SP3s gearbox is creamy at 2000ks - the SP1 also has a nice box.

Pros:
Engine is a gem
Great brakes
Excellent build quality
Price - compared to Italian

Cons:
Silly in town
Pillion better be light, flexible and tolerant
Fuel economy only slightly better than Concorde
Price - compared to faster inline 4s

Overall: A minimal compromise v-twin sportsbike with personality and performance. Tons of fun.

wari
3rd February 2004, 21:53
Thats a bloody good writeup modalx ... kickass

discodan
3rd February 2004, 21:58
Glad you like it. I am pretty set on a Twin as my next bike and if I have the money I'll be putting it on a VTR1000 SP xx. Those bikes sound great and have performance to match, I never have cared about comfort so thats not an issue.

tlronny
5th February 2004, 06:15
Its a pity they were (or are !) so bloody dear - at around $27k you can factor in almost any big jap bike !
If they had kept to the low $20k they would have sold shed loads of 'em. :Punk:

wkid_one
5th February 2004, 09:18
Its a pity they were (or are !) so bloody dear - at around $27k you can factor in almost any big jap bike !
If they had kept to the low $20k they would have sold shed loads of 'em. :Punk:
Gotta agree.

Take the TLR - more power and shit loads cheaper.

For $20k you can pick up most big bore multis which are quicker, lighter and leave you money in your back pocket.

I like the VTR obviously as I owned its little brother - however I wouldn't be prepared to pay a premium for a bike which is heavier and slower than its counterparts - and has the same technology.

modalx
5th February 2004, 12:02
Gotta agree.
Take the TLR - more power and shit loads cheaper.

Hmmm. Uninformed comment. :sly:

I'm sure the TLR is great but you want to get your facts right wkid. For what its worth the stock TLR is about 5kgs heavier and 5 rear wheel horses short of the stock SP2. The SP2 has been breathed on by HRC (though not the SP1) and is technologically well ahead of the VTR and TLR. Besides all that there are plenty of riders with questions about the TLRs handling so a blanket recommendation based on price is not really helpful.

Comparing to the multis is not comparing apples with apples.

wkid_one
5th February 2004, 20:09
Hmmm. Uninformed comment. :sly:

I'm sure the TLR is great but you want to get your facts right wkid. For what its worth the stock TLR is about 5kgs heavier and 5 rear wheel horses short of the stock SP2. The SP2 has been breathed on by HRC (though not the SP1) and is technologically well ahead of the VTR and TLR. Besides all that there are plenty of riders with questions about the TLRs handling so a blanket recommendation based on price is not really helpful.

Comparing to the multis is not comparing apples with apples.
No it is not comparing apples with apples but it is comparing dollars with dollars.

I have ridden the SP1, SP2 and SP3 and found none of them endearing - even tho loving the VTR as a bike. Mind you I also hated the TLR's desire to want to stand up mid corner.

I am sorry - but for the money (regardless of twin or not) the multis make a much better rider and generally better handling due to better weight characteristics.

The Twins unfortunately will be a dying breed if you look at the trends in MotoGP - with even Ducati investing more money in the Big Bang Four than in the SBK - and Honda largely pulling out of the SBK.

Also - due to the nature of the twin engine they are limited in their power thru their inability to reve to the same level of the multis.

Whilst I can appreciate the allure of the twins - I can't justify $28995 of a VTR SP when I can go and buy a bike shed loads quicker and lighter to boot and still have enuf change in my pocket to buy a Power Commander etc to put salt in the wound.

modalx
5th February 2004, 21:13
[QUOTE=wkid_one]No it is not comparing apples with apples but it is comparing dollars with dollars.

Mate if it was all about dollars and power no-one would ever buy Italian. Some of us think bikes are about more than horsepower per buck and are actually looking for a riding experience rather than a fashion accessory.

V-twins on the way out? Yeah right. Someone better tell Ducati, Aprilia, Harley....

tlronny
9th February 2004, 05:35
Just as a matter of interest - what bikes had you ridden or owned b4 you got the SP ? :apint:

wkid_one
9th February 2004, 07:40
Modalx:

Your bike ISN'T European and therefore doesn't command a premium price? It doesn't have the edge of the 999 (or the horsepower), nor the looks of the stunning MV, or the fantastic sex appear of the Benelli.

It is just an overpriced Jap bike........lauded coz it is the only bike Honda have perservered with in the SBK - which has ended last season and gone entirely now with the multi rule.

Honda are signalled already the discontinuance of the SP with the 04 being the last bike.

Also - isn't Duke now investing more money in the Big Bang 4 than the Twin - I think so.

Again this is opinion - however I am don't feel justified is spending $28995 on a heavy and underpowered Jap bike - esp when all the latest rocketships are under $24000

marty
9th February 2004, 08:24
the bitching threads are over there <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
i thought this was for reviews in here. modalx, i thought your review was very well written. makes for intersting comparison for an rsv/duke/vtr shootout

wkid_one
9th February 2004, 12:27
Marty - do a review on yours, and Blu do one on the RSV before you leave.

A TLR one would be a good comparison also (and TLS)....

modalx
9th February 2004, 20:35
LOL wkid - you don't know when you're in over your head. The simple fact is that my values are different to yours. That seems to be difficult for you and I don't want you to mistake me for someone who gives a shit so I'm done talking about it.

This thread was supposed to be for reviews - thanks for the feedback guys.

FYI I paid nothing like 28k for it and about the same as the expected price on the 2004 'Blade. As I pointed out, it is still more expensive than many faster bikes but it is also hugely cheaper than Italian twins. Check out the review in this month's Performance Bike looking at the Aprilia RSV Factory where it compares very favourably to that and to the 999. The bike is also a bit different - seems to me the roads are littered with red ones these days.

There is a lot of bullshit and half baked opinions out there (hmmm... and in here) so you have to check it out for yourself.

tlronny - I've ridden countless bikes over the years - actually I worked out I was rebuilding the motor on my first sportsbike (Norton Dominator) 3 years before wkid was born so there's a clue!

ching_ching
10th February 2004, 11:28
Yo ModalX,

Good writeup bro, informative, to the point, excellent.

You should be knocking on the door of Motorcycle Trader & News, wirteups like yours wouldn't go amiss in such publications.

ching

duckman
10th February 2004, 13:16
Good writeup Modalx,

I've recently been test ridin a few twins (TL1000r, TL1000S, VTR, 996) and even tho I can see why people like the multi's (hi Wkid :finger: ), I don't think they will ever dominate the market to a point where manufacturers would stop making twins.

If you like a twin -You LOVE a twin. It's the way it rides and I hope they will be around for ever. :eek:

wkid_one
10th February 2004, 18:24
Good writeup Modalx,

I've recently been test ridin a few twins (TL1000r, TL1000S, VTR, 996) and even tho I can see why people like the multi's (hi Wkid :finger: ), I don't think they will ever dominate the market to a point where manufacturers would stop making twins.

If you like a twin -You LOVE a twin. It's the way it rides and I hope they will be around for ever. :eek:
Hey Duckman, before you flash the finger around - check out MY review of my first bike...having had both a multi and a Twin - I am in a position to make an informed choice.......

I will stick by my comments - that for the money - the VTR SP is an overpriced bike....which was the point I was making to begin with.

You get all the price premium of a european bike with none of the pluses.....

I have NEVER said I don't like the VTR SP......I just can't justify in my mind paying the money over and above a similar bike just because it is a race rep bike.

Enuf said

modalx
10th February 2004, 19:05
You get all the price premium of a european bike with none of the pluses.....

This is tedious but lets spell it out in the unlikely event that someone takes wkid seriously...

New prices as of today:
RSV Factory = 35k at AMPS
Plain vanilla 999 = 37k at Hamilton Motorcycles. You will have 10k in your pocket even if you get ripped off on an SP.

Don't get me wrong - I have nothing against these great bikes and may well end up owning one sometime - this is just about being accurate.

In some threads it doesn't matter if you toss around bullshit - in fact it is to be encouraged. If review threads are to be at all useful you really need to stick to the facts.

wkid_one
10th February 2004, 19:19
This is tedious but lets spell it out in the unlikely event that someone takes wkid seriously...

New prices as of today:
RSV Factory = 35k at AMPS
Plain vanilla 999 = 37k at Hamilton Motorcycles. You will have 10k in your pocket even if you get ripped off on an SP.

Don't get me wrong - I have nothing against these great bikes and may well end up owning one sometime - this is just about being accurate.

In some threads it doesn't matter if you toss around bullshit - in fact it is to be encouraged. If review threads are to be at all useful you really need to stick to the facts. Not my point - I am comparing a Jap bike with a Jap bike....but anyway.... I will work on a flowchart so you can understand...nah I can't be fucked......rose tinted glasses and all

tlronny
11th February 2004, 05:34
It would appear to me (Im a bit thick !) that ModelX is trying to compare his SP3 with the european bikes but perhaps he should be doing it with the other "big four" brands instead and unfortunately the SP3 doesnt measure up so well ?? :o (remember Im thick)

Coldkiwi
16th March 2004, 11:43
I'm even thicker ronny... whats an SP3?? I'd pick an SP 1 and SP2 miles off but i've never heard of an SP3! can you post a pick modalx?

bike reviews are always going to be a bit subjective so there's no real point in getting to worked up about preferences.

modalx
17th March 2004, 20:07
I'm even thicker ronny... whats an SP3?? I'd pick an SP 1 and SP2 miles off but i've never heard of an SP3! can you post a pick modalx?

bike reviews are always going to be a bit subjective so there's no real point in getting to worked up about preferences.

Yes the model id for this bike is a trainspotters dream.

It is exactly like the SP2 to look at (white / grey / red / black) but the sticker on the fairing says SP3.
The chassis plate says 'VTR1000SP' The color/trim model id is 'SP3'
You wont find 'Honda SP3' anywhere on the Net and of course in the US it is called the RC51 which has the letters 'RVT' on the fairing and sometimes 'VTR1000R' on the tail.

Go figure. :whocares:

SP3 may even be an NZ phenomenon. I've seen another bike w exactly the same decals here. I know its still the SP2 in the UK cos the Feb 04 SuperBike mag (UK) features a 999 vs RSV-R vs SP2 test (I won't spoil the surprise).

If anyone's interested I can confirm a PCIII is a great mod for this bike. It has smoothed out the emissions related torque dip at 4.5k and sharpens up the response everywhere. If you want one, import it direct from the States. I landed one here in 2 weeks for just under $NZ500 - they retail at around $900 here.

Marknz
17th March 2004, 20:40
Yes the model id for this bike is a trainspotters dream.

It is exactly like the SP2 to look at (white / grey / red / black) but the sticker on the fairing says SP3.
The chassis plate says 'VTR1000SP' The color/trim model id is 'SP3'
You wont find 'Honda SP3' anywhere on the Net and of course in the US it is called the RC51 which has the letters 'RVT' on the fairing and sometimes 'VTR1000R' on the tail.

Go figure. :whocares:

SP3 may even be an NZ phenomenon. I've seen another bike w exactly the same decals here. I know its still the SP2 in the UK cos the Feb 04 SuperBike mag (UK) features a 999 vs RSV-R vs SP2 test (I won't spoil the surprise).

If anyone's interested I can confirm a PCIII is a great mod for this bike. It has smoothed out the emissions related torque dip at 4.5k and sharpens up the response everywhere. If you want one, import it direct from the States. I landed one here in 2 weeks for just under $NZ500 - they retail at around $900 here.

Yes, it is a NZ phenomenon. You won't find a SP3 on the Aussie market and I've been assured that the SP3 is simply a SP2 with the different logo.

Was very keen on a NZ SP3 when I returned here from Oz but when I found out the price I was really put off. To explain, in Oz the 03 VTR1000F3 is AU$14995, in NZ they are NZ$14995. In Oz the brand new SP2 is AU$22995, in NZ the SP3 is NZ$27995(?) If I could get a new SP2/SP3 for NZ$20K, I'd be cheque in hand 2moro.

And I've ridden Duke 916/996/998/999, Aprilia RSVR, Firestorm, SV1000s and now the Gixxer 1000 (and a CBR600RR but they don't count) so me thinks I'm qualified to express my point of view.... I'd take the Honda SP any day if it was closer to the AU price.

riffer
17th March 2004, 21:42
If I could get a new SP2/SP3 for NZ$20K, I'd be cheque in hand 2moro.
Perhaps you might like the one TSS has at the moment - Stew showed me it last Thursday - not brand new - but very nice - two bros pipes - SP2 - $16995.

Definitely worth a look Mark.

Coldkiwi
18th March 2004, 11:21
And I've ridden Duke 916/996/998/999, Aprilia RSVR, Firestorm, SV1000s and now the Gixxer 1000 (and a CBR600RR but they don't count)

you lucky bugger!! :ride:

White trash
18th March 2004, 13:07
And I've ridden Duke 916/996/998/999, Aprilia RSVR, Firestorm, SV1000s and now the Gixxer 1000 (and a CBR600RR but they don't count) so me thinks I'm qualified to express my point of view.... I'd take the Honda SP any day if it was closer to the AU price.

Yes, Mark. You must know one or two very understanding salesmen to let you test those amazing bikes :msn-wink:

Especialy the two Suzukis! You didn't get to ride them both in one day did you? :eek:

Marknz
18th March 2004, 18:03
Yes, Mark. You must know one or two very understanding salesmen to let you test those amazing bikes :msn-wink:

Especialy the two Suzukis! You didn't get to ride them both in one day did you? :eek:

Yea, well the Italian bikes were courtesy of being a member of the Canberra Ducati Club and rides from members. I only tested the 999 brand new off the shop floor.

Yes, there is an understanding bloke at WM that let me ride the SV & Gixxer last weekend... good bloke too, do you know him? And the 600RR was the test bike at Canberra Motorcycle Centre last year and I got such a tank slapper on it that I can't see me rushing to one again any time soon.

Anyway, apropos of nothing at all, I've just spoken to the guys in Oz selling my VTR1000F3 and dropped the ansking price to $11,500 so I would hop eto have such action on it soon. Then I can really start talking cash with some dealers :yeah:

Marknz
18th March 2004, 18:05
Perhaps you might like the one TSS has at the moment - Stew showed me it last Thursday - not brand new - but very nice - two bros pipes - SP2 - $16995.

Definitely worth a look Mark.

TSS... where's that?

riffer
19th March 2004, 07:26
TSS... where's that?
You know Alicetown? Take Cuba Street from Petone towards Lower Hutt. Just down by the Alicetown shopping centre on the left hand side of the road - can't miss it - lots of bikes.

tlronny
23rd March 2004, 06:31
Went on a local ride last Thursday (at least 20 bikes) and an asian bloke turned up on an SP3 with a full Ackripovic Ti system ! - very nice - went quick too.
What a shame the SP1,2,3s were/are so dear - I'd love one but there are far better value bikes out there really (useing your head - not heart !)
Local suzuki dealer has a mint SP1 and the Honda dealer at Bay View has a later one as well I think ? :yes:

Deano
23rd March 2004, 08:39
Went on a local ride last Thursday (at least 20 bikes) and an asian bloke turned up on an SP3 with a full Ackripovic Ti system ! - very nice - went quick too.
What a shame the SP1,2,3s were/are so dear - I'd love one but there are far better value bikes out there really (useing your head - not heart !)
Local suzuki dealer has a mint SP1 and the Honda dealer at Bay View has a later one as well I think ? :yes:

I agree. $28000 for a new one is serious dosh. I hadn't even considered buying one, but when the old 1993 900SS needed a lot of TLC, I traded it for an ex-demo SP-1 with 6,500Kms on the clock for $18,000.

While it doesn't have the power that the multi's do, I think that twins have a certain charm and sound great. :niceone:

cicius
3rd April 2004, 01:13
VTR SP3 ?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello! I write from Palermo. I have read to a your message care one Honda VTR 1000 SP3. In Italy I do not succeed to find null on she. In the official list Honda 1000 SP2 are only the VTR the 04 that is SP2 modified in the colorations (black) and other small details. For case in New Zeland it is already exited a new model? If, I can have one photo of your bike in order to confront it with the SP2?
Thanks, soon. Francesco

tlronny
6th April 2004, 10:52
Golly gosh !![B]