PDA

View Full Version : Photos of my carburetors

Slingshot
3rd February 2004, 22:33
I thought I'd post a new thread about this but it kinda follows on from my "starting problems" thread.

What you are about to see are real life photos of a carburetor, it's normal habitat is mounted between the air box and the engine of my '89 Suzuki GSXR250R.

I'll explain the photos in the next post (so I can see them and describe them accurately).

I've also found this (http://www.cyclemaintenance.com/fuel/fuel_trouble.htm) link which talks about how carburetors work and how to strip them down and clean them.

Slingshot
3rd February 2004, 22:39
The first photo is of the air box side.
The second photo is of the engine side, those brass things are the butterfly valves.
The thrid photo is of me holding the throttle open and looking the past the butterfly valves
The forth photo the shows the floats (the orange things).
The fifth & sixth are similar to the forth.

If anyone has any little gems of information, please feel free to enlighten me. I'm interested in tips on cleaning them out.

Ciao

Motu
4th February 2004, 07:11
Only one float for 4 carbs? cheap pricks - but it does remove 3 potential problems.

Slingshot
4th February 2004, 07:12
No, there are four floats, I just wasn't to keen to have em all hanging out at the same time in case I screwed something up.

merv
4th February 2004, 07:24
If anyone has any little gems of information, please feel free to enlighten me. I'm interested in tips on cleaning them out.
Ciao

I think its CRC brand but I have a can of stuff called Clean R Carb or some such name that is fairly viscious stuff that removes any old crusty fuel deposits - squirt it down your jets and stuff like that. Keep it off your hands and away from your paint work. Follow on by flushing it with water and then make sure you dry the carbs before putting them together again.

Main thing is check your needle valves (operated by the floats) to make sure they don't look worn and won't pass too much fuel. Its the same thing as the ball valve in your loo - if its buggered you get a dripping toilet - so don't want too much fuel dripping into your carbs.

merv
4th February 2004, 07:26
Also were the carb diaprhagms on top of the carbs in good nick and not split or perished looking at all? Can't tell from your pics.

Slingshot
4th February 2004, 07:37
I had a look at a couple of them and they seem to be fine. I'll be looking at the other two diaphrams tonight.

Jackrat
4th February 2004, 09:10
Slingshot I have been holding off saying anything because I am usualy wrong
but this time??.Anyway I doubt the diaphrams will be shot as you are making rev's.A holed or split diaphram will idle ok but will not make rev's.
When I clean my Carb's I use compressed air an blow them out.I seldom remove a jet.From what you said earlyer I think your air filters are way over due a clean as well.CV Carb's are bastard things,Good luck an thanks for the link.

merv
4th February 2004, 11:21
Split diaprhagms I've experienced do idle OK as Jackrat says but I have found they rev OK too but just pick up bloody slowly in the middle - I guess it depends on the size of the split.

Slingshot
4th February 2004, 12:45
I don't think any of the diaphrams will be split, the problem I'm having is at idle, I'll check any and clean it all out anyway.

juddnz
21st November 2008, 20:47
Hey slingshot, can you please tell me where in photo 1 the two hoses on the swivel nipples between carbs 1 & 2 and 3& 4 go?

Max Preload
26th November 2008, 21:17
Hey slingshot, can you please tell me where in photo 1 the two hoses on the swivel nipples between carbs 1 & 2 and 3& 4 go?

Presuming you mean the small ones at the bottom - that's the fuel inlet - so to the tank or, if you have one, the fuel pump.

The bigger ones at the top go to the airbox or if that's been removed to a filter.

Paul in NZ
26th November 2008, 22:03
Oh fuck I'm tireded than jesus after he hauled the cross up the hill but I have an old book here on fixing carbs in jappers if you wanna borrow it - its easier than me killing you...

juddnz
27th November 2008, 14:26
The ones with the question mark.

The vaccum hose to the fuel tank comes from between the carbs and the head.