PDA

View Full Version : New rider looking for others

SuzyQ
6th March 2017, 14:54
Hi, I've just got my first bike and I'm looking for other people to ride with and learn from. I live in Palmerston North. Would anyone like to meet up?

old slider
6th March 2017, 19:02
Hi, I've just got my first bike and I'm looking for other people to ride with and learn from. I live in Palmerston North. Would anyone like to meet up?

Hey SuzyQ, there is a Harley Davidson chapter in Palmy, if you just purchased your first bike and it is a HD as your profile says.

SuzyQ
7th March 2017, 19:10
Hey SuzyQ, there is a Harley Davidson chapter in Palmy, if you just purchased your first bike and it is a HD as your profile says.

Yeah, I will get involved with that, I'm really shy though and still just learning so I would probably get left for dust going out with them. It would be nice to meet others into riding though.

jellywrestler
7th March 2017, 20:34
Yeah, I will get involved with that, I'm really shy though and still just learning so I would probably get left for dust going out with them. It would be nice to meet others into riding though.

on the contrary a lot of harley riders have started off learning later, i'm sure a club like that will quickly identify your set of skills at whatever your level and take you aside and work with you to improve, they don't want people hurting themselves and probably don't want learners in the midst so it's in their interest to upskill you. there is also the ladies of harley side of their club that you can mix with

SuzyQ
7th March 2017, 20:55
on the contrary a lot of harley riders have started off learning later, i'm sure a club like that will quickly identify your set of skills at whatever your level and take you aside and work with you to improve, they don't want people hurting themselves and probably don't want learners in the midst so it's in their interest to upskill you. there is also the ladies of harley side of their club that you can mix with

Thanks, that is really helpful to know. :-)

eldog
7th March 2017, 21:01
You will find it everywhere.

ride for yourself, ride your own ride.

dont worry about how you ride, it takes time and practise.

enjoy your time

if you ride in a good group they won't worry about your ability, they will encourage you.

ask dumb questions, there are plenty of people on here willing to give advice.

take it easy.:2thumbsup

caspernz
8th March 2017, 19:19
No harm in the RideForever bronze/silver thing either. Good way to meet up with like minded folks. Better than some of the trolls on this site anyway :shit:

eldog
9th March 2017, 06:27
Hi, I've just got my first bike and I'm looking for other people to learn from.

Use the advanced search function.

Maha and FJRider (and others) have very good posts about new riders and group riding - what to watch for and little traps that befall us all.

Happy :scooter:

trufflebutter
10th March 2017, 07:49

Hi SuzyQ I know some wonderful people in the Palmy/Ashhurst area that ride regularly. They use to be on here almost as regular as they they ride but sadly (some may say wisely) like so many others, have chosen to use another way to organised themselves. If you wish I can tee up an introduction to get the ball rolling as it were. There are females in the group. Are you on Facebook?

As a new rider you do not need to ride with a ''Chapter'' what you need in group ride situation is a small group who will assist and look out for you making sure that your ride is as comfortable for you as it can be.

All the best - TB.

SuzyQ
11th March 2017, 14:37
Hi SuzyQ I know some wonderful people in the Palmy/Ashhurst area that ride regularly. They use to be on here almost as regular as they they ride but sadly (some may say wisely) like so many others, have chosen to use another way to organised themselves. If you wish I can tee up an introduction to get the ball rolling as it were. There are females in the group. Are you on Facebook?

As a new rider you do not need to ride with a ''Chapter'' what you need in group ride situation is a small group who will assist and look out for you making sure that your ride is as comfortable for you as it can be.

All the best - TB.

Thank you! Yes, I am on FB -personal details removed - Gremlin-

trufflebutter
12th March 2017, 11:34
Thank you! Yes, I am on FB -personal details removed - Gremlin-

Hi Suzy I have been in contact so I will send you a pm with the details.

jellywrestler
12th March 2017, 12:09
dont worry about how you ride, it takes time and practise.

way off the mark, we need every chance we can get to keep it safe out there.

eldog
12th March 2017, 13:37
way off the mark, we need every chance we can get to keep it safe out there.

Maybe I wasn't clear enough.

when riding with others, don't concern yourself if you can't keep up, are unable to do things other riders can do.

that was what I was referring to:brick:

its upto the individual to make informed decisions about what they do.
If they don't know and get carried away in the moment, that's their choice too.

we aren't all born riders, some of us started late. Getting over confident can lead to disaster.

SuzyQ
12th March 2017, 15:17
Maybe I wasn't clear enough.

when riding with others, don't concern yourself if you can't keep up, are unable to do things other riders can do.

that was what I was referring to:brick:

its upto the individual to make informed decisions about what they do.
If they don't know and get carried away in the moment, that's their choice too.

we aren't all born riders, some of us started late. Getting over confident can lead to disaster.

Keeping up with others is not my concern, at the stage I'm at I just need to be able to get around the corner without drifting into oncoming traffic! I'm not ready for the road yet. I'm finding it hard to turn at slow speed and my confidence isnt high enough to speed up. Riding is bloody hard!

SuzyQ
12th March 2017, 15:19
Hi Suzy I have been in contact so I will send you a pm with the details.

Thank you very much. FB messenger would be better, I find this site tricky to navigate

eldog
12th March 2017, 15:25
Keeping up with others is not my concern, at the stage I'm at I just need to be able to get around the corner without drifting into oncoming traffic! I'm not ready for the road yet. I'm finding it hard to turn at slow speed and my confidence isnt high enough to speed up. Riding is bloody hard!

thats why I said practise and take your time. Things that appear hard now, will become easy.

if you can do some training or find someone to help. Great.

Come back in 6-12 months and tell us about what you think about your comments today.

thats one thing about motorbikes, your ideas change. :scooter::bye:

russd7
14th March 2017, 09:39

do a ride forever bronze course, they are designed for new riders, i am assuming you have at a minimum a learners license.

take it easy and have fun