PDA

View Full Version : Rimutaka Users Beware

LB
4th February 2004, 05:51
Just a reminder that this Saturday (7th Feb) is the Martinborough Fair, so the Rimutakas/Martinborough area will be chocka with cars, from very early on.

riffer
4th February 2004, 07:49
Yeah, good call Lynda.

Tell me, I quite often go over the 'takas on a Sunday morning if I can. What's the road likely to be like the next day (assuming we get two fine days on the weekend?)

I'm mindful of wikd's experience after a few buses had been over the hill (diesel).

Does there tend to be a lot of stuff left on the road after such busy traffic?

franco
4th February 2004, 08:09
Good point.

Well, it's the Rugby Sevens / Red Zone festivities down at the caketin for me this weekend anyway...:apint: :apint: :apint: :apint: :apint:

I expect Sunday will be recovery day... :puke:

merv
4th February 2004, 11:30
Yeah, good call Lynda.

I'm mindful of wikd's experience after a few buses had been over the hill (diesel).

The 'takas are always bad for diesel because of the sharp curves and trucks (and I suppose buses) swinging round and some of them can't have very good fuel caps or something because the stuff gets sprayed all over the place. Worst time I saw it was after some road maintenance machinery had been up there and they must have had a fuel trailer or something and there was a great strip of diesel all the way from the side of the road where they ahd been working down to the bottom. As they swing round the curves that damn strip of diesel swing across our riding line. Look out for the rainbow colours when its wet.

wkid_one
4th February 2004, 11:39
Yeah man - killer road with diesel.......problem is they bring out all the old party buses etc which spew diesel all over the show.........

Mine was just an arse of an accident - more annoying than anything tho. Had the engine cover not been ground through the bike was entirely rideable and I coulda ridden home (if my head stopped spinning)

Just be careful......wouldn't stop me going tho.

Ms Piggy
4th February 2004, 13:38
It's also Waitangi W/E so there will be also be lots of frantic holiday makers around! :eek5:

wkid_one
4th February 2004, 15:11
It's also Waitangi W/E so there will be also be lots of frantic holiday makers around! :eek5:
They will only be a problem coming back over the hill - Wellington isn't a destination for holidays