PDA

View Full Version : Waitangi Day Ride

Motoracer
4th February 2004, 13:36
Going for a blast this friday to Wahi via clevedon, hunua, kopu, whangamata and probably the same way back. Meet at Shell Clevedon at 0930 and leave by 0950.

For thoes of us leaving from Auckland, meet at 0850 and leave by 0900 from the bakery next to the KFC, Mc Donalds and the AA center at Quay Street in town.

I think the last time I did it, it was approximatly 500kms if you were to leave and come back to Auckland city.

Anyone intrested can PM me with their name and cell phone #s.

:2thumbsup

Note: Route and times can be changed depending on conditions and choice of the majority of interested parites.

Firefight
4th February 2004, 15:30
Yep I'll be into that, got to work night shift that night :disapint: , so will have to finish early, or may have to throw a :sick: y again.

Firefight :crazy:

Motoracer
4th February 2004, 15:40
Sicky sounds much better :D

Andrew
4th February 2004, 19:35
Yep I'm up for a bit of that, depending on weather the bike is up for it!!! CYA there!

Andrew
4th February 2004, 19:42
Yep I'll be into that, got to work night shift that night :disapint: , so will have to finish early, or may have to throw a :sick: y again.

Yea man throw a sickie. You'll only get sick if you have to cut a ride short to go to work!! :2thumbsup

130wide
4th February 2004, 20:01
What time will you be in Waihi? May meet up with you there.

Andrew
4th February 2004, 20:03
What time will you be in Waihi? May meet up with you there.
About this far on the map!! Perahps we can ring you when we get near Waihi!

Lord Pac
4th February 2004, 20:03
bump-weather pending- ill tag along!

sAsLEX
4th February 2004, 22:11
As long as the weather looks good I will be keen.

Firefight
5th February 2004, 05:02
Yea man throw a sickie. You'll only get sick if you have to cut a ride short to go to work!! :2thumbsup

Yes, of course, who better to comment on takin sickes too ride, than Physics :innocent: Boy.

firefight. :wacko:

angle
5th February 2004, 16:19
If wether permits, I'll tag along too (From Quay St.).

duckman
5th February 2004, 16:22
I'm heading for Vegas on Friday but might be able to join in for while. :lol:

Draco
5th February 2004, 16:51
Count Death & I in, and it's lookin good for 3 others to come with us. Will PM with numbers as requested. Just heard the weather for 2moro, it's lookin good for a twist of the wrist.

Firefight
6th February 2004, 05:55
About this far on the map!! Perahps we can ring you when we get near Waihi!

Stick to Physics, seems you lost your ability to anwser a simple question :confused2

Andrew
6th February 2004, 06:38
Stick to Physics, seems you lost your ability to anwser a simple question :confused2

By modelling the trajetory of the sun on a sine wave. We see that in order to intergrate the differential between pie and zero we must first find when the positive maximum will be displaced.

:stupid: :bash:

What?
6th February 2004, 06:47
Bluddy weather man!!!
Supposed to be fine today. Glorious bike riding weather.
And it's pissing down. :bash:

Firefight
6th February 2004, 07:27
Bluddy weather man!!!

Its fine here Alec :scooter: , you keep it there, and well ride up here

Firefight :innocent:

Lord Pac
6th February 2004, 12:28
yes that was me! first time on cleve/hunua road, lost concentration wasnt sure if it was a left or right- so went with straight!

All good- no damage- only broken f.brake lever.will be back there tomorrow. Just a little disappointed :argh:

Thx motoracer/draco/count death and rest of the peeps.catch up with all on the next one...

Hope you had a good one!

130wide
6th February 2004, 13:19
To wet, the kid is crook, ok I wasn't allowed. :no:

bluninja
6th February 2004, 13:33
To wet, the kid is crook, ok I wasn't allowed. :no:
I had a serious back problem....it was stuck to the mattress:msn-wink: actually it's a bit knacked at the moment, but hope to be out an about over the next 2 weekends.

Hitcher
6th February 2004, 15:39
By modelling the trajetory of the sun on a sine wave. We see that in order to intergrate the differential between pie and zero we must first find when the positive maximum will be displaced.

:stupid: :bash:

And what sort of pie would that be? Apple or bacon and egg?

Motoracer
6th February 2004, 15:44
Interesting day. lol

Finally for once I got there on time (Well, kinda anyway). I had to, cause I was the one who set up the times! Met up with more new faces.

A few corners after clevdon, Paco had a little misshap but I am really glad that it was nothing serious.

Carried on to Kopu, only to find out that the weather was absolutly shit down there. All the hills were completly covered in rain clouds. Half the parties went on their seperate ways to Themes and the other half of us decided to continue on to Whanga. After a few close calls in the wet with the back tire being a real bitch, we had a little group meeting. All of us decided to head back cause the rain looked like it was there to stay.

Came back to Kaiua fish and chips, had a feed and the weather also became a bit drier. We then came back to Clevedon and went to Maratai beach then went our seperate ways after reaching howick.

Not exactly the awesome blasting ride that I had planed but it turned out ok anyway. Thanx to all the people who came along. It was great meeting you lot.

Have a good one and stay safe!

Ms Piggy
6th February 2004, 15:53
Bluddy weather man!!!

It's a stunning day here in Welly. :beer: I've just been at the Waitangi Day reggae concert - well it's actually in honour of Bob Marleys b'day. Yeah mon.

Marmoot
6th February 2004, 16:04
Good ride 4 me, Mracer. Thanx for setting up.

Didn't know y'all waited at Shell Cleve. We (me and that 250 with me....who was that?) thought yous all blasted all the way and waited at kopu, so when I turned back (had to work) I said to that poor li'l bugger "they may be waiting at kopu. It's THAT way (pointing fingers all around the place)".
So, off the li'l guy saying "Ok, Kopu is That way" (fingers all around the place again). Ok, hands up, who was that guy that don't even know where the famous bike hangout Kopu is?

Anyway, that's why I was a bit surprised seeing u guys in Shell Hunua on my way back.

I went back through Bombay hills to M'way btw. A bit tired with Hunua after going back-n-fro in just 1 hours. Wow, mates.....on my way back I saw Southbound Mway was bustling with total traffic jam with 2 accidents (bumpers up) and about more than a dozen cop cars along the way!

Side note: there is always the feeling of how you are much slower than what u're used to be before a crash, but it feels much more frightening.

Shade
6th February 2004, 16:47
AGH damn it, I was keen for this ride, but Since i only have a computer at work (not at home), I didnt know this was on till now (had some days off). Damn.

Next time eh!

XRNR
6th February 2004, 20:38
Splintered off from the main group at the shell & had lunch in Thames, (a little damp I must say). Splintered again after leaving the pub (scared firefight away by talking about what could happen to his licence), & a couple of us went over from the wet east coast to the sunny west coast. :niceone:

Riding over there turned out great. Was taken to Port Waikato for the first time nice scenery. Then we decided to have a go at the loop road back down the coast from Port Waikato through the back way to Glenn Murray.

Motu, you would have been proud!
We did about 30 - 50km of gravel road, a nice intro to gravel for the others, Fantastic scenery (least I thought so!). We should have bought along a couple of the R1 riders (paco, vladi maybe even wickid), they would have felt right at home. Everyone, would have been off-roading not just them. :lol:

Mike may even post some pictures.

MikeL
6th February 2004, 20:59
Well it was an interesting day. "Scattered showers"?? It had well and truly closed in at Kopu - looking miserable, so Dave, Andrew, Craig, Anton and I decided to give Waihi a miss and went to have lunch in Thames and wait for the rain to stop. Enjoyable meal at our regular place the Goldmine and then Dave and Andrew went off one way while Craig, Anton and I headed back to Akl. Stopped for coffee at Mangatawhiri, had a look at the map and decided to detour via Port Waikato. Great roads, fine weather, interesting scenery, but Port Waikato is the end of the line, right? You have to go back the way you came, right? Wrong. Have a look at the map: see all those little roads filling in the empty space south of Port Waikato? Well, Craig said "Let's find out where this one leads". Of course the seal stopped a few kms along, and for the next hour we bumped and bounced and slid along some of the most, er, interesting gravel roads I've come across. All right for some who spend half their riding time on dirt bikes, but after what seemed like 50 km I was starting to get a little weary... Finally emerged onto SH22 somewhere near Glen Murray and the subsequent blast northwards made up for the preceding gravel endurance test. Coffee at the Autobahn Papakura and then home by 6. A great end to a day which didn't start off too promising.

Marmoot
6th February 2004, 21:02
Well.....sounds like the movie Torque :)

Andrew
6th February 2004, 22:37
I get the fairing back and the bike cleaned and into what I consider a mint condition. I go on my ride thats all sweet.

Afterward after dinner I cruise into town. Park up and the bike fell over. Not 24 hours after getting it up together its fuct up again :mad: :mad:

The side fairing, front fairing, rear fairing, mirror and visor all have deep scratches and cracked. Man this just isn't my day. Why me :spudwhat:

MikeL
7th February 2004, 06:45
Sorry to hear about the latest incident Andrew. You didn't look too happy yesterday morning - perhaps a premonition?? What an end to the day. But just think - it could have been worse. At least when the bike fell over it was doing 0 km/h and you weren't on it. Cracks and scratches and dents are only painful to the wallet.

Firefight
7th February 2004, 07:32
After a very late deptarture from Clevedon, we caught up with a few of the riders @ Miranda flats, into Kopu, bit of a chat then split to smaller group, had a great lunch at Thames and then split again, Andrew and I decided to head South looking for more rain, Paeroa, Te Aroha, pissed down, sadly by Morrinsville it was starting to dry out,after a quick drink at Morrinsville, andrew and I decided to play tease the boy racers, by some quirk of faith we had just finsihed makeing dicks of them, when round the corner MR :Police: was waiting, how did he know it was us ? All sweet just WOF & rego check, "thanks boys have a safe ride"' by Matamata it was sunny, Over the Kaimais in search of rain, sure enough it was pissing down again :crazy: , My mate was happy again , (sorry What did not stop in)

turn off @ Bethlehem by pass, and on to Katikati, Wahi for an entertaing Lucnh?early dinner, still pissing down, blah blah blah high.... Nagtea. Bombay for coffee. & home for a shower, great to find it had been fine up this way all day.. still had a good ride.. thanks Andrew sorry to hear about you bike.

Firefight. :crazy:

Andrew
7th February 2004, 07:47
thanks Andrew sorry to hear about you bike.

Firefight. :crazy:

Somebody please come and shoot me in the head. :ar15:

Andrew
7th February 2004, 15:49
A good day to be sad :disapint:...........................

Ms Piggy
7th February 2004, 16:00

Oh dear - you have my sympathies :confused:

Hitcher
7th February 2004, 16:32

Ooh, ouch. What do you look like -- any bruises??

Andrew
7th February 2004, 16:37
Ooh, ouch. What do you look like -- any bruises??

Nah just fell over while parked on the stand. I never knew so much damage could come about from it just falling over.

MikeL
7th February 2004, 18:40
Andrew
If like me you start to make a habit of letting bikes topple over, it may pay to switch to a naked type...
Four "incidents", sum total: broken mirror mount, broken clutch lever, broken brake lever, bent bar end, broken indicator, scratched mirror, scratched engine cover.
Causes of "incidents":
1. ignorance (side stand sinking in to soft ground)
2. stupidity (repeat of number 1: why did I never think it would happen again?)
3. stupidity (leaving bike in neutral on wet concrete on a slope)
4. stupidity (didn't check that centre stand was fully down).
Come to think of it, number 1 was stupidity as well.

What?
7th February 2004, 19:16
(sorry What did not stop in)
Figured that by your lack of presence... Shame you didn't though. I would have joined you for an hour or two.
Sounds like you guys had a good day out - well, maybe not so good for Andrew. At least he didn't crash.

Firefight
7th February 2004, 19:23
Figured that by your lack of presence... Shame you didn't though. I would have joined you for an hour or two.
Sounds like you guys had a good day out - well, maybe not so good for Andrew. At least he didn't crash.

Yeah Next time, we will stop in for sure. :cold:

Firefight

Motu
8th February 2004, 09:17
XRNR and MikeL - dunno if I like the idea of sportsbikes messing up MY road! Of all the roads in there the one from Port Waikato is possibly the worst,as far as condition goes - that must of been hard work on a heavy sportsbike with wide smooth tyres,top marks for taking it on!

XRNR
8th February 2004, 09:54
XRNR and MikeL - dunno if I like the idea of sportsbikes messing up MY road!
...top marks for taking it on!
I can see why it is YOUR road, that road is cool, I would love to do it on the XR. That country is rugged with very picturesque rock formations & lots of good views from multiple lookouts, on a very winedy hilly road (with little to no traffic).

Judging by what you were saying about speed the other day, you would be going faassst, if you could do 120km on that stuff. Other than the straight pieces of gravel.
You would get lots of airtime on the front & lots of speedway on the rear.
Worth a trip for any road legal dirty/adventure bikes.
(The acceleration bumps were a bit of a pain for the roadie).

Hitcher
8th February 2004, 12:27
Nah just fell over while parked on the stand. I never knew so much damage could come about from it just falling over.

It looks worse that mine and I was doing about 50-70kmh...

angle
9th February 2004, 13:52
Riding over there turned out great. Was taken to Port Waikato for the first time nice scenery. Then we decided to have a go at the loop road back down the coast from Port Waikato through the back way to Glenn Murray.

Motu, you would have been proud!
We did about 30 - 50km of gravel road, a nice intro to gravel for the others, Fantastic scenery (least I thought so!).

Yes, the scenery was spectacular.

XRNR and MikeL - dunno if I like the idea of sportsbikes messing up MY road! Of all the roads in there the one from Port Waikato is possibly the worst,as far as condition goes - that must of been hard work on a heavy sportsbike with wide smooth tyres,top marks for taking it on!

XRNR was actually riding at 80 km/h (perhaps even faster) on that road. What do you think of the road to Anawhata beach?

P.S.

MikeL, XRNR thank you for such a great day!