PDA

View Full Version : Hog Shootout, Ducati wheelstand demonstrations and a stunt bike display

bungbung
4th February 2004, 13:36
From the www.stuff.co.nz motoring section today:

Petrolheads paradise in capital
04 February 2004

Some of New Zealand's fastest cars will be smoking their tyres on Wellington's waterfront at Easter.

The new motor show concept, 2HOT2 Handle, combines live track action and a huge motor show on the April 10-11 weekend.

Organiser Iain Morrison said the show will also address road safety issues and safe practices when modifying cars.

Straight-line sprinting from European vehicles including Ferrari, Lamborghini, Porsche and Mercedes will be a highlight among the three one-hour street shows each day.

Some big bikes will also put on a show, including a Hog Shootout, Ducati wheelstand demonstrations and a stunt bike display.

Traditional dragsters and mini-dragsters with drivers as young as 10, match-offs between Holden and Ford V8 racing utes, races between Japanese cars and a truck demonstration are also planned.

Temporary stands seating up to 4000 spectators will be erected along one side of Waterloo Quay, while Westpac Stadium's walkway ramps and car parks will form ideal vantage points.

Inside the stadium, the concourse will become a huge exhibition area featuring displays of rare or rarely seen automobiles. Cars would be grouped from late models working back through eras defined as disco, rock and roll, war and pre-war.

"What we're doing is taking a motor show to the streets of Wellington," Mr Morrison said.

Aotea and Waterloo quays from the Interisland Line terminal to platform 9 would be closed to traffic from 9.30am till 7pm on both days

duckman
4th February 2004, 13:46
Go wellington!!!

I'm absolutely positively jealous :sneaky2:

bungbung
4th February 2004, 13:55
I am suprised by the Wellington City Council and/or Transit agreeing to the road closures for (by the sounds of things) drag racing. The Aotea off-ramp from the m/way will need to be closed also.

Hooray for agreeable red tape merchants :2thumbsup

merv
4th February 2004, 14:59
It will give the boy racers some sort of benchmark for the speeds that are attainable on the Quay.

Definitely sounds like it will be worth a look and good to have bikes included.

Better not go away at Easter then eh.

Hitcher
4th February 2004, 18:45
What, in the name of all that is good, is a "hog shootout"?

A lot of fat, bald guys in leathers trying to do burnouts on underpowered American tractors?

Or do they literally attempt to shoot each other?

Would probably be worth the cost of admission either way...

matthewt
11th March 2004, 15:10
This event was called "2 hot 2 handle". The web site www.2hot2handle.co.nz tells you sweet FA about it but I just heard from a car friend that it's been canceled. He belongs to the poor-ish (I mean Porsche) club and they were asked to display some cars. He rang up to find out about it (coz they get free tickets if they display their cars) and was told the event was off.

Apparently the road closure (which was critical to it all) was a verbal agreement and they couldn't get permission in the end.

White trash
11th March 2004, 15:15
I am suprised by the Wellington City Council and/or Transit agreeing to the road closures for (by the sounds of things) drag racing.

That's funny!

It seems the WCC were supprised by that too :bash:

2Hot2 Handle
23rd March 2004, 11:54
The 2Hot2 Handle Motor Show has not been cancelled - only postponed until next year. Wellington City Council is in full support of the show, and road closures are not the problem - just red tape that didn't allow enough time to properly market the show.

Hope to see you all there in 2005!! And meanwhile I'll keep you posted.

LB
24th March 2004, 06:01
The 2Hot2 Handle Motor Show has not been cancelled - only postponed until next year. Wellington City Council is in full support of the show, and road closures are not the problem - just red tape that didn't allow enough time to properly market the show.

Thanks mate - looking fwd to hearing the new date. Let me know if you'd like me to do some demo wheelies/stoppies on my Monster. ( :laugh: )

jimbo600
27th March 2004, 20:29

Hey man, if you want stunts and the like for the 2hot2handle deal in 2005 then PM white trash on this website, he's the stuntmeister in Wellington.

If you want someone who pulls crap stunts, then PM me and I'll be more than happy to make a twat out of myself.

White trash
29th March 2004, 08:05
Hey man, if you want stunts and the like for the 2hot2handle deal in 2005 then PM white trash on this website, he's the stuntmeister in Wellington.

If you want someone who pulls crap stunts, then PM me and I'll be more than happy to make a twat out of myself.

Bullshit! I'm just a larrikin with no mechanical sympathy :bleh:

Wenier
29th March 2004, 18:46
lol yea WT will do anything wont ya. Its a shame about it being postponed to next year thou. Damn long time to wait :(. O well hopefully it will be even better then :)

2Hot2 Handle
30th March 2004, 10:14
Thanks for the offers - we'll keep them in mind!!! And you're right - it will be a better show - in fact, the BEST! And time flies when you're having fun.....