PDA

View Full Version : Drum brake conumdrum

lukefrompalmy
9th April 2017, 10:30
Hey guys, recently had a total system failure on my rear drum brake. The bolt that anchors the drum brake to the bike came out unbeknownst to me and when the rear brake was used going under 20km the anchor came away from the bar and rotated causing the cable a duster to bend and pop out of its arm that connects to the brake which in turn twsited and got jammed against the swing arm. Lucky I was getting a wof at the time and strangely it didn't pass! So I've managed to get the cable adjuster and the arm that it connects to which was jammed against the swing arm off and straightend both up the issue now is the brake is stuck spun around. The anchor point normally sits at about 7 o'clock but it's stuck at 2 o'clock. Any idea how to fix this so I can bolt it back together? I'm thinking I will have to loosen the rear axle to get it to spin back around. Thoughts?

HenryDorsetCase
9th April 2017, 10:45
yes - or give it a smack with a bit of wood to roll it round if you can reach it. But probably easiest to just undo the axle nut 1/2 a turn, rotate the drum and bolt it back up.

Grumph
9th April 2017, 11:41
I do hope you've replaced the missing bolt with the proper piece - which should have a hole for a splitpin - which you WILL replace....

lukefrompalmy
9th April 2017, 12:20
I do hope you've replaced the missing bolt with the proper piece - which should have a hole for a splitpin - which you WILL replace....

Oh I certainly will be replacing it with the right bolt haha I don't need this happening again while I'm out on the road!

BMWST?
9th April 2017, 16:10
the brake may be jammed open and wedged in place. The axle alone shouldnt prevent the drum from turning.Does the wheel turn,and the brake turn with it?You may be able to release the brake by pushing the lever backwards ,if not i cant think how you will release it

ellipsis
9th April 2017, 17:00
...taking wheel off, dismantling, doing a bit of servicing on the way and making sure it works like it did when new would be a place to start...but hey, it's only a back brake and who the fuck needs brakes?...

lukefrompalmy
9th April 2017, 17:59
...taking wheel off, dismantling, doing a bit of servicing on the way and making sure it works like it did when new would be a place to start...but hey, it's only a back brake and who the fuck needs brakes?...

It's recently been serviced luckily and depending how it goes when I have a gander I might have to take it back in. But yeah fuck brakes! Who needs em!

sidecar bob
9th April 2017, 18:43
Id like to know who the idiot was that thought it was ok to paint the swingarm & the corresponding part of the wheel at the same time. I'm guessing the same moron that left the anchor bolt loose.
Can some people not even find a scrap of old paper? I fuckin despair.
Here's a clue, try loosening the axle just to see what happens.

lukefrompalmy
9th April 2017, 18:53
Id like to know who the idiot was that thought it was ok to paint the swingarm & the corresponding part of the wheel at the same time. I'm guessing the same moron that left the anchor bolt loose.
Can some people not even find a scrap of old paper? I fuckin despair.
Here's a clue, try loosening the axle just to see what happens.

I bought it chopped from a chap in Auckland. It wasn't even prepped before it was painted and it just rubs off in some spots. A rough job I know but I'm concentrating on getting it roadworks before I worry about the over spray on the wheels. One of the many reasons I was auckland be to snatched it up for 800$

Banditbandit
11th April 2017, 14:07

Yes. What may have happened is that the lever that pushes the brake pads apart (and makes the brakes work) has turned too far the other way and the pads are pressing on the drum - take the wheel out - if you can't turn the brake plate, turn the activating lever slightly until it is free, then pull out he plate and check everything before you put it back together again. .

lukefrompalmy
21st April 2017, 19:27
Just a follow up if anyone's interested, I managed to loosen the rear wheel nut enough to get the brake turned back around. After straightening all the bent bits I fashioned another pin for the anchor and it appeared to work fine. To be safe though I got the brake looked at and its still sound. suppose I'm lucky that it happened at a really low speed rather than in town or out of town for that matter. Thanks for the advice guys, its helpful chaps like you that will get more people into building/tinkering with their bikes.