PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning chain

Jack85
26th June 2017, 15:22
I'm trying to find something to clean the chain with. I've got an o-ring and was advised that a metal brush (brass or something) wouldn't be suitable and I'd need a nylon one? I've tried bunnings and super cheap but can't find a nylon one.

Any ideas where I can get one?

I was thinking of using a toothbrush but figured it it was soft enough to be used on my teeth, it wouldn't be hard enough to be used in a chain?

Thanks

Mike.Gayner
26th June 2017, 15:28
I clean my chains with WD40/CRC and a rag. Honestly I think people overthink chains - if you want to scrub if then just scrub it with something - use your best judgement.

Honest Andy
26th June 2017, 15:35
Yep toothbrush. Use a soft one and plenty of toothpaste

merv
26th June 2017, 15:40
I use my old toothbrushes for the job - effectively they cost nothing. Remember you are trying not to wreck the O-rings. WD40/CRC has been mentioned and I happily use kerosene with a toothbrush to clean chains and the gunge that gets on the other parts of the bike as well.

caspernz
26th June 2017, 15:58
Kero for the solvent, old toothbrush or paint brush to lather on the kero. Give it a few minutes, then repeat brushing with some more kero. Rinse off with garden hose, done. Wash rest of bike and lube chain at end of it all. Just make sure you wash any crud/kero off your tyres along the way.

You could get all fancy and buy a proper chain cleaning brush, they're neat but I wore mine out and never got another one.

T.W.R
26th June 2017, 15:59
Toothbrush is the ideal tool....ones designed for dentures are the best for chains :yes:
Biggest thing with chains is lubing and doing it properly......clean the chain thoroughly then go for a short ride and lube the chain when you get home so it absorbs the lube into the seals and doesn't just surface coat everything to start acting like grinding paste

Moise
26th June 2017, 19:55
Paintbrush and kero with an oil drain pan under the pan and lots of newspaper under that. But whatever you use, don't scrub the O-rings too hard as you don't want to force dirt past the seals.

Sent from my SM-G9208 using Tapatalk

AllanB
26th June 2017, 20:02
Kero and ya mummas toothbrush. Or sisters. I don't care.

HenryDorsetCase
26th June 2017, 21:49
I've got a Braun Oral B one I got from the dentist. It is electric and makes a much better job of chain cleaning than your common or garden variety manual toothbrush.

I find Colgate whitening toothpaste the best for getting into the hard to reach crevices.

Dont forget to floss after you brush!

mrchips
27th June 2017, 06:31
One word..... Scottoiler

Never need to clean or lube your chain again.

Less time cleaning, more time riding... + your chain life will last forever

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk

Mike.Gayner
27th June 2017, 08:07
Less time cleaning, more time riding...

Who are these people spending so much time cleaning that they're putting off their riding? Cleaning a chain is a 5 minute job I can do after dinner.

Luckylegs
27th June 2017, 13:01
Kero and ya mummas toothbrush. Or sisters. I don't care.

You better chuck a couple of new ones in with the wifes new oven eh???

Luckylegs
27th June 2017, 13:02
...and remember its always easier to clean on a stand with the bike running in gear so you dont have to spin the tyre by hand

EJK
27th June 2017, 13:06
Yep toothbrush. Use a soft one and plenty of toothpaste

Colgate with whitening formula works well. Gets all the black stuff. Don't forget to floss in between chains too.

tigertim20
27th June 2017, 13:06
use a tooth brush.

I use the wife's one...

Jeeper
27th June 2017, 13:31
Torpedo 7 sell one, fairly reasonably priced.

https://m.torpedo7.co.nz/products/T7TO4N0MC/title/torpedo7-motorcycle-chain-brush

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

EJK
27th June 2017, 14:05
...and remember its always easier to clean on a stand with the bike running in gear so you dont have to spin the tyre by hand

Easy way to lose fingers.

Heard plenty of stories guy trying to clean the chain with a rag. Then rag got caught in sticky lube and dragged into sprockets taking his fingers with it.

Edit: Oh that was you :pinch:

T.W.R
27th June 2017, 14:26

Many a word spoken in jest :laugh: remember a few years ago when someone here on KB did that exact thing :facepalm: even posted up the pics taken in A&E of the results :doh:

caspernz
27th June 2017, 14:28
I've got a Braun Oral B one I got from the dentist. It is electric and makes a much better job of chain cleaning than your common or garden variety manual toothbrush.

I find Colgate whitening toothpaste the best for getting into the hard to reach crevices.

Dont forget to floss after you brush!

Never mind the floss, rinse with mouthwash :2thumbsup

EJK
27th June 2017, 14:28
Or get a dog...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/1QkPr4o6ATI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Or a very large hamster?

Honest Andy
27th June 2017, 14:35
Many a word spoken in jest :laugh: remember a few years ago when someone here on KB did that exact thing :facepalm: even posted up the pics taken in A&E of the results :doh:

evolution in action...

T.W.R
27th June 2017, 14:39
evolution in action...

Yeah, I can't remember who it was now but they were quiet proud of their efforts :facepalm:
Probably the worst one was sniper and his spark plug incident :laugh: looked like someone had taken to his lip with a coring knife :clap:

Mike.Gayner
27th June 2017, 15:27
evolution in action...

Unless someone was cleaning their chain with their testicles I'm not sure this would affect natural selection.

Luckylegs
27th June 2017, 16:01
Yeah, I can't remember who it was now but they were quiet proud of their efforts :facepalm:
Probably the worst one was sniper and his spark plug incident :laugh: looked like someone had taken to his lip with a coring knife :clap:

Funny... it was me

T.W.R
27th June 2017, 16:04
Funny... it was me

:laugh: It was meaty, the thumb was a beaut :niceone:....were you trying to beat that guy in the states who took fingers off?

HenryDorsetCase
27th June 2017, 19:27
evolution in action...

not unless he is flossing his chain with his penis... you dont need fingers to breed

Luckylegs
27th June 2017, 19:46
not unless he is flossing his chain with his penis... you dont need fingers to breed

Meh, if id used my dick instead of my finger id have been buying a new chain and sprocket instead of visting the a&e.

Honest Andy
27th June 2017, 20:22
you dont need fingers to breed

well, sorta. You can ride better if you still have your fingers, and if you can't ride then how will you attract all the best sheilas :Punk:

mrchips
28th June 2017, 05:40
Who are these people spending so much time cleaning that they're putting off their riding? Cleaning a chain is a 5 minute job I can do after dinner.
Maybe, but I can think of better things to do after dinner.... a cup of tea & a nap on my lazy boy before coro street

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk

HenryDorsetCase
28th June 2017, 08:32

when I was a kid one of my schoolmates did exactly that too. Not pretty.

T.W.R
28th June 2017, 10:29
when I was a kid one of my schoolmates did exactly that too. Not pretty.

A guy I worked with held a xmas party at his home for friends & family, he was gunsmith along with few other other qualifications so had access to some interesting stuff to play with.
During the party he got rather pickled and some one had mentioned fireworks would have been good to entertain the kids :yes: he thought he'd go one better & some explosives detonators made an appearance....first couple went off without issue....the third one went off in his hand :facepalm: blew his index finger, ring finger, & most of his thumb off :sick: sort of killed the party in a big way :laugh:

Moise
29th June 2017, 22:17
Perfect way to lose a few fingers or even worse. Just don't do it. Ever.

AllanB
29th June 2017, 22:33
Perfect way to lose a few fingers or even worse. Just don't do it. Ever.

At least not naked.

GazzaH
29th June 2017, 22:48
Or you'll get the sack

Moise
30th June 2017, 03:35
At least not naked.
Agreed!