PDA

View Full Version : 600,000 hour service

Old Steve
10th July 2017, 18:37
I've been in to the workshop for my 600,000 hour service, and had the swing arm repaired.

Actually I had my shoulder reconstruction on Friday. In an interaction with a taxi pulling through traffic, I had 3 of the 4 rotator cuff tendons torn. After the operation, the surgeon told me that one tendon had been completely torn and pulled back behind the shoulder joint. He had been able to pull it out and join it completely and join the tears in the other two tendons. It's reassuring to see your surgeon beaming at his own ability.

So I'm off work for 8 weeks and at the moment have my arm in a sling strapped to my waist and a small bag of anaesthetic and an automatic pump in a pouch which feeds 0.05 mL of painkiller through a fine tube into a bunch of nerves in my shoulder every minute and a half. It works great, just a whir every 90 seconds and no pain at all. I have to remove it tomorrow, but apparently if you have good pain control for the first 3 to 4 days after the operation then the result will be better.

However, all I want to do is sleep, it's awkward sleeping with your arm in a bulky padded sling but I am getting over 12 hours per day. In act it's time for a little nap right now.

caspernz
10th July 2017, 18:43
Best wishes for a speedy recovery Steve!

Hope you're feeling well for your 69th birthday that's coming up then...:shutup:

pritch
11th July 2017, 15:51
Shoulders can be seriously painful. Here's hoping the recovery goes according to plan. or faster.

flashg
11th July 2017, 20:47
I've been in to the workshop for my 600,000 hour service, and had the swing arm repaired.

Actually I had my shoulder reconstruction on Friday. In an interaction with a taxi pulling through traffic, I had 3 of the 4 rotator cuff tendons torn. After the operation, the surgeon told me that one tendon had been completely torn and pulled back behind the shoulder joint. He had been able to pull it out and join it completely and join the tears in the other two tendons. It's reassuring to see your surgeon beaming at his own ability.

So I'm off work for 8 weeks and at the moment have my arm in a sling strapped to my waist and a small bag of anaesthetic and an automatic pump in a pouch which feeds 0.05 mL of painkiller through a fine tube into a bunch of nerves in my shoulder every minute and a half. It works great, just a whir every 90 seconds and no pain at all. I have to remove it tomorrow, but apparently if you have good pain control for the first 3 to 4 days after the operation then the result will be better.

However, all I want to do is sleep, it's awkward sleeping with your arm in a bulky padded sling but I am getting over 12 hours per day. In act it's time for a little nap right now.

I'm a bit jealous you'll be back at work in eight weeks.
I had the same operation on the 6th of june, plus repaired torn bicep. Sling off today (5 weeks)physio starts @ 7 weeks. I'll be off work for four months the surgeon says.
As for the pain pump, I woke up after surgery with one that I could manually use. But I didn't use it ( I was saving it for when the pain was really bad) and they took it off me that morning because I hadn't used it. Used tramadol for a week, then no more pain killers since. All appears to be going well. Still not really allowed to use it yet. My repair was the right shoulder, I'm left handed, so it hasn't been too difficult to cope.
Heres hoping your recovery goes well [emoji4]

YellowDog
12th July 2017, 09:36
Faaaark. I guess that some of us need to be more appreciative of our guardian angels :yes:

Heal up soon, to the both of you :yes: