PDA

View Full Version : 1989 Kawasaki ZXR 250 Mystery Part

karter53
21st July 2017, 15:15
Hi all,

Today I was replacing the clutch on my ZXR 250, all was going well, I had the new clutch in and was getting ready to put a fresh gasket on but realized that I needed to take of the crank position sensor to get the gasket on.

Easy enough, I undid the two bolts but then as I pulled the sensor outwards a small crescent shaped cover fell out onto the table (see photos). I've spent an hour looking around with a torch but can't for the life of me see where it goes or what it is.

Any clues?

Thanks.

FJRider
21st July 2017, 16:17
Hi all,

Today I was replacing the clutch on my ZXR 250, all was going well, I had the new clutch in and was getting ready to put a fresh gasket on but realized that I needed to take of the crank position sensor to get the gasket on.

Easy enough, I undid the two bolts but then as I pulled the sensor outwards a small crescent shaped cover fell out onto the table (see photos). I've spent an hour looking around with a torch but can't for the life of me see where it goes or what it is.

Any clues?

Thanks.

Did you need to remove the crank sensor to remove the old gasket ... ???

But a few old KB threads might help ...

https://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php/11478-Free-ZXR250-Workshop-Manual

sidecar bob
21st July 2017, 17:46
I bet it runs ok with that part in the rubbish bin.

jellywrestler
21st July 2017, 18:22
had one of these and the same thing happened to me well before the internaughty was around. Found out it was a piecost in the end.

Honest Andy
21st July 2017, 18:42
Found out it was a piecost in the end.

you mean pieCRUST...?
Cos thats one greeeeasy pie :sick:

:msn-wink:

jellywrestler
21st July 2017, 20:53
you mean pieCRUST...?
Cos thats one greeeeasy pie :sick:

:msn-wink:

No, Piecost, nver heard of a pie crust in relation to bikes but i'm still open to learning.

Grumph
21st July 2017, 22:11
No, Piecost, nver heard of a pie crust in relation to bikes but i'm still open to learning.

Of course you have...The wavy solder line along the bottom seam of vintage tanks is a piecrust....

jellywrestler
22nd July 2017, 10:26
Of course you have...The wavy solder line along the bottom seam of vintage tanks is a piecrust....

indeed, that one had slipped my mind Greg

karter53
22nd July 2017, 10:34
Did you need to remove the crank sensor to remove the old gasket ... ???

But a few old KB threads might help ...

https://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php/11478-Free-ZXR250-Workshop-Manual

No I just ripped the old one off, but to put the new one on I had to take the sensor out to get the new gasket over the wires. Unless I was missing something obvious :laugh:

karter53
22nd July 2017, 10:44
I might have discovered what it is.... The rubber cam cover gasket has 4 semi-circular dips, as they do, 3 outta 4 of them feel quite stiff when I push on them but one feels just like rubber. The scary thing is this one is on the other side of the engine, so if it did come from there then it must have traveled across the head dodging all the moving stuff and dropped down the cam chain hole and stuck onto the magnetic sensor :eek5:

I'll know for sure when I go to change the cam cover gasket, but in the mean time, is that a common thing to have in a rubber gasket like that? A little steel reinforcing thing...

Rhys
22nd July 2017, 10:53
All good machinery comes with spares, normal bolts, washes and nuts, Just put it in an ice-cream container and save it for next time you take it a part.