PDA

View Full Version : 6 things nobody tells you about being a biker

GazzaH
20th August 2017, 22:10
This is what it really means to be a biker (http://www.cracked.com/article_19217_6-things-nobody-tells-you-about-owning-motorcycle.html/):

"We stink, we stupidly risk our lives just to exchange platitudes, people try to murder us constantly (and that's only when we're not trying to do it ourselves by riding between cars and running lights) and all while constantly, constantly covered in screaming spiders -- and we all still ride."

Ghost Lemur
21st August 2017, 12:42
Very true. And we do it all with massive grins on our faces.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

slofox
21st August 2017, 16:04
I rather enjoyed reading that...

dinosaur
21st August 2017, 16:44
Good post

we are nuts, and riding a motorbike doesn't stack up on the logic calculation table
After 37 or something years riding; I can't be bothered commuting on one any more - it's all for weekend fun and the occasional touring
Takes too long to get togged up, commuting puts you in peak traffic, on busy roads - increasing the risk
You tend to be out in the morning getting all fogged up in winter and ...cold and wet - tooo F**king old for that shit now

I still love to drop into corners and power out, setting up for the next corner, give it a bit of a squirt down the odd straight, just love the feeling .......
As I get older and less able I'm damned if I'm going to buy a trike, or worse: a Harley and wear Harley wanna be gangsta apparel - I'll leave that for the posers

Honest Andy
21st August 2017, 17:16
I still love to drop into corners and power out, setting up for the next corner, give it a bit of a squirt down the odd straight, just love the feeling .......
As I get older and less able I'm damned if I'm going to buy a trike, or worse: a Harley and wear Harley wanna be gangsta apparel - I'll leave that for the posers

fuck yes :2thumbsup

Rowan
21st August 2017, 17:43
"There's only one possible explanation for it:

It's just really, really cool. You guys, seriously. They make this noise that's like BRAAMM and they go superfast"

100% true :laugh: the sound and power frees my soul, grin factor is everything for me!

Got to agree with you there dinosaur, commuting on them really does suck, I only take mine into work occasionally on a nice day.

GrayWolf
21st August 2017, 18:47
"There's only one possible explanation for it:

It's just really, really cool. You guys, seriously. They make this noise that's like BRAAMM and they go superfast"

100% true :laugh: the sound and power frees my soul, grin factor is everything for me!

Got to agree with you there dinosaur, commuting on them really does suck, I only take mine into work occasionally on a nice day.

Well what can I say? 43 years riding , spring, summer, autumn, winter. Don't own a car, and commute every day. I'm a Sucker?? :nya:

My only 'concession'?? I mostly ride a Spyder to and from work now, but then, I very rarely ride at rush hour times. You get wet sometimes, you get sweaty sometimes.

Sit in a tin top ? Nah thanks.

Weekends and touring? still have the CB1300s sitting in the garage :lol::lol:

GazzaH
21st August 2017, 19:04
Commuting by bike can be less fun, yes, but not zero. I used to enjoy commuting from Surrey to the City of London with a free ferry crossing of the Thames being just long enough to stretch my legs and clamber back aboard for more grins! The docklands/city tunnel made even my bike sound loud.

Only once was it nearly all too much - got stuck in gridlocked London traffic for over 2+ hours (v the usual 20 mins) on a hot summer's day, in full leathers. Cages were literally bumper-to-bumper in places. Still, it was better for me than the cagers, trapped and cooking!

Now, I don't commute. Plenty of excuses to get out for a ride without the pressure to be somewhere by a specific time. Problem solved.

awayatc
21st August 2017, 19:15

You owned a few Harley's have you?

Or have at least ridden roughly how many..?

Bet you the truthfull answer is a big fat zero.....

According to you I am a poser,

It does however beat being a tosser....

GrayWolf
22nd August 2017, 14:21

Even YOU have admitted at times, the HD world IS full of weekend 1%r's.

and to answer your questions...
none {but almost bought the XR1200, got an MT-01 instead}
most types since the 1970's 1000cc sportster, only versions I have yet to ride is a V-rod and the twin cam onwards.
NO but do have a big fat arse ;)

see reference to weekend 1% brigade. I do know a few HD 'RIDERS'! and they are generally nothing like the weekend warriors.

dinosaur
24th August 2017, 17:05
I mostly ride a Spyder to and from work now, but then,

That's a concession? a Spyder - strikes me as the worst of both worlds rather than the best of both
you get all the disadvantages of a car - can't get thru gaps in traffic
all the disadvantages of a bike - out in the weather

dinosaur
24th August 2017, 17:22
No - why would I
I have had a couple of Triumph cruisers, but thought the same about them as well. Thy're fun to ride, great around town - but just don't really do corners or stop as well as other bikes (mainly comparing them to sport tourers, and the other bikes you own) . I guess they're made for the great American open road

Actually you'd be a big fat wrong
I've ridden a few in my time on bikes, the last one was four years ago - took one from NP to Hamilton via the forgotten highway
I have test ridden a turbo'd Harley which they promised would stack up .... but it didn't
I took a Vrod to whangamata once - that got a bit closer to a real bike
hired one in the States for a bit of tour years ago - not bad for cruising

Its kind of the same thing don't you think?

I do struggle to understand people who pay more money for a bike that has less
sure lots of bling and bragging rights
but if you're into riding you would know that a Jap cruiser is by far; superior to a Harley when it comes to performance (and that's not just going from specifications but also riding them) and you know that.... you own other bikes, I'd genuinely be interested in how the Harley stack up to the Valkyrie

which leaves me with the conclusion; there's just something about a Harley that some people find appealing - and it's wrapped up in the image of the 'road worrier', the mid life crisis look or the wanna be gangsta dudes with replica patches and tassels - almost like a lifestyle choice that's a kin to wearing spedo's at the beach and going to swinger clubs

Any way; we're all free to express ourselves as we wish with what we ride

granstar
24th August 2017, 21:48
Good story and the truth :scooter:

awayatc
24th August 2017, 22:06
Why does a Harley appeal....?

Exactly because it isn't smooth and perfect.
It's primitive and rough.
I got to work it very hard to go at a decent pace.
And people I used to ride with had to begrudgingly admit that they didn't think Harleys could do that....
I miss my Harley. We were evenly matched.
Those superfast sports bikes are way better then I am as a rider...therefor I feel lacking in ability and will kill myself.
Because I can't help but finding out the limits.

My Valkyrie is a way quicker and "better" bike.....

BUT I reckon I be quicker in the twisties on my Harley
(Done admittedly a fair few things to it to make it perform for me...)

BMW is a very civilised performing bit of German Engineering....
But I can't warm up to it.

Also I am not a small fella and can't fit properly on neither BMW nor Valkyrie... (bought aftermarket footpeg lowering sets...made seats higher etc...)
Would get another Harely if they would get rid of their bloody drive belt set up.... ( takes 6-8 hours to replace belt ,and broke one to many...)
And also would love it if they would make whole thing a bit bigger....

Jap cruisers don't work for me...
Why get a Harley look alike?
Will always go for the original.

And gangs?
Nah don't need to.

GazzaH
24th August 2017, 22:12
Liked the bit about worrying the road.

caspernz
25th August 2017, 00:27
That article is somewhat annoying to read, although it does fit in some ways.

One of the funny things I've always found with stereotypes is when I tell someone I've just met that I ride a motorcycle, there's often this same weird response: "But you don't look like a biker?!" To me this is just funny, for we come in all shapes and sizes. Hygiene varies too of course... The same goes for when I then share that I'm a trucker, for the stereotype of a trucker I don't fit either :innocent::facepalm::shutup: other than in telling judgmental folks to sod off in plain English :angry2::brick:

There's a certain appeal in HD's. Have never owned one, but have ridden a few over the years. The Road King appeals to me, almost bought one a few years back. Just a shame that so many weekend warriors buy them, you know the guys who can't ride properly to start with, and with a bike like a Harley it needs a bit of finesse to get it to move along at a swift clip. Kinda cool to see one being hustled along with skill I'll admit :woohoo::2thumbsup

Ole8991
27th January 2018, 09:04
Maybe its just my point of view but even the older riders must admit to go faster than it was planned from time to time or am i wrong ?;)

slofox
27th January 2018, 14:58
Maybe its just my point of view but even the older riders must admit to go faster than it was planned from time to time or am i wrong ?;)

No. You are not wrong.

GazzaH
17th May 2018, 19:01
When stopping on the track and dismounting to open the farm gate, save a few milliseconds by not checking that the side stand is all the way down. Just lay the bike down, leaping gracefully out of the way and cursing gently.

GazzaH
17th May 2018, 19:04
Pick up a fallen bike by facing away from the bike, grabbing the middle of the handlebars and a convenient grab handle at the rear, using your legs to lift it gracefully ... slowing to a complete stop before it topples the other way behind you.

GazzaH
17th May 2018, 19:10
Having righted and remounted a fallen bike, don't bother checking things over before setting off at pace along the remainder of the track.

One possible reason for not stopping smartly, stalling and flashing the passing truck drivers as you reach the main road is that the clutch lever has twisted on the bars, so the lever is fouling the headlamp flasher switch.

Either that or you're a complete idiot.

ellipsis
17th May 2018, 19:19
...with age, a bikers length and girth, recede, relative to the truth...wisdom may or may not follow...

GazzaH
20th May 2018, 19:31
Hair maybe but not girth :thud: