PDA

View Full Version : Driving an automatic car - do you use one foot or both?

cruxis
20th September 2017, 20:14
This question was also posted on geekzone.

I first learnt to ride before driving a car, and have always driven a automatic car. Been doing this for 25 years. I got me wondering if motorcyclists are more likely to be two foot automatic drivers who do this "bad habit" . As you all know its good practice to hover your fingers over the brake lever when going through a intersection, heavy traffic etc. So I thought the same would apply to automatic car.

I do not rest my left foot on the brake pedal. I have it side and move it when needed. I have resat my license doing this and the instruction mentioned it was fine as I never rested my foot on the brake.

F5 Dave
20th September 2017, 20:28
Very rarely drive an auto.

Just push my left foot hard into the footwell and pretend its not working till I get out.

Super bad if you ever want to drive manual, and really, c`mon. But when people panic they can push down on both feet.

I see people following up hills and they are jerky and erratic and braking into uphill corners you just know they are driving both feet and not able to coordinate. Scary stuff.

Gremlin
20th September 2017, 20:50
Rode before driving, only drive autos. Only use one foot...

Jeeper
20th September 2017, 20:51
Starting driving manual and autos long long ago before I started riding. Left foot braking on an auto comes very handy in a 4x4 in offroad situations, particularly going downhill to control speed and ability to keep momentum going.

In city situations, I do sometimes use left foot braking but it depends on the situation.

Swoop
20th September 2017, 20:52
I learnt on manual transmission years ago. Stuck with it for over 30yrs.
Got an auto and drove that for many years too.

After having knee surgery there was only one option and that was leaning how to left foot brake and I've continued ever since. Right for the accelerator and left for the brake. I hover over, rather than touch the brake pedal unless actually braking.

Reaction time is less with the foot already in position, as a lot of cars can attest when I'm parked on their bumper waiting for the cunts to get the fuck out of the way...:ar15:

Woodman
20th September 2017, 21:15
Do both usually both feet when driving in slow going. One trick slightly related I do is when I am in traffic jam type traffic I push the "icy driving" button. It makes the stop/start driving less jerky as you slowly move along.

haydes55
20th September 2017, 21:29
I'm a 1 foot man. But my mrs will attest to the fact I'm horrible at driving autos though.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Oakie
20th September 2017, 22:22
To be honest, I don't know. I think I'm a one-footer though.

Moi
20th September 2017, 22:23
Normal driving, right foot does it all...

Left foot on brake when manoeuvring on a grade and you need a few revs...

Wondering... if you use your left foot, is it a religious thing?

gsxr
20th September 2017, 22:49
Interesting question.Given that I have raced both bikes and cars it now explains why after transgressing to an automatic I tend to left foot brake.
Rally cars its right foot hard on the go pedal and hard on the stop pedal coming into corners utilizing left foot for clutch and brake. Right foot hardly moves whereas the left foot does all the work .

EJK
20th September 2017, 22:57
When I first started driving I used my left foot for braking, since I rode before I drove I thought left foot had a purpose? I was pretty good at it and was smooth.

Now I drive with one foot only (right). Few weeks ago I tried left foot breaking and I nearly hit my head on the steering wheel.

HenryDorsetCase
20th September 2017, 23:06
Just use my right foot and feel perfectly safe despite having driven manuals for 19 years. I was however driven once by a woman who had only experience with manuals and she forgot it did not have a clutch and locked up the brakes with her left foot. We were lucky the road was dry and were traveling in town as I am sure the car would have gone into a slide/rollover if it was wet.

So, I learnt to drive in my Dad's HQ Holden (trimatic) but I learnt to DRIVE in Post Office cars. all manual. If you lock up by panic braking on a wet road, what happens is you tend to feel as if you are speeding up (you arent, just not slowing down) and go in the same direction you are travelling - you can thank Mr Newton and his Lors of Motion for that. You would be really unlucky to roll a car. Cars are quite difficult to roll over in my experience. Closest I have come was sliding sideways off the road (thankfully on a cut grass country road verge, and feeling the inside wheels come off the ground... then bump down again. That was 3 of us in on of our Mum's cars. And we had to work out how to get the grass out from between the wheel rim and tyre (both tyres on the passenger side). You just tend to slide off the road. If you are unlucky you will hit something solid. like a parked car, or a lamp post or a fence or something.

Anyway, driving like a lunatic is fun - it feels so safe, doncha think? Lend us your car? I need to practice my handbrake turns.

As for OP I used to be really sniffy about manual cars - till I realised that cars are appliances and what really matters is how good the stereo, heater, and warranty are. I have tried the left foot braking thing especially if I want to keep the revs up so the thing will pick up more quickly (car is glacially slow)... but hardly ever.

F5 Dave
20th September 2017, 23:33
Actually on some mornings the Van's autochoke is a bit Ricky and I'm right foot braking on ball of foot and touching the accelerator with heel carefully.

Left is operating clutch of course. Fortunately it doesn't need to be doubleDClutched down to 1st like the old mini. But you can get a dirtbike in the back so far more practical than a poxy car.

WNJ
21st September 2017, 03:19
Never driven a auto i since I got my licence 30 years ago,

PeterNZ
21st September 2017, 06:52
Driving manual - right foot is for accelerating and braking. Why would you change this when driving automatic?

Cheers

Peter

Sent from my LG-K220 using Tapatalk

Voltaire
21st September 2017, 07:08
So, I learnt to drive in my Dad's HQ Holden (trimatic) but I learnt to DRIVE in Post Office cars. all manual. If you lock up by panic braking on a wet road, what happens is you tend to feel as if you are speeding up (you arent, just not slowing down) and go in the same direction you are travelling - you can thank Mr Newton and his Lors of Motion for that. You would be really unlucky to roll a car. Cars are quite difficult to roll over in my experience. Closest I have come was sliding sideways off the road (thankfully on a cut grass country road verge, and feeling the inside wheels come off the ground... then bump down again. That was 3 of us in on of our Mum's cars. And we had to work out how to get the grass out from between the wheel rim and tyre (both tyres on the passenger side). You just tend to slide off the road. If you are unlucky you will hit something solid. like a parked car, or a lamp post or a fence or something.

Anyway, driving like a lunatic is fun - it feels so safe, doncha think? Lend us your car? I need to practice my handbrake turns.

As for OP I used to be really sniffy about manual cars - till I realised that cars are appliances and what really matters is how good the stereo, heater, and warranty are. I have tried the left foot braking thing especially if I want to keep the revs up so the thing will pick up more quickly (car is glacially slow)... but hardly ever.

I remember hooning around in my Mums purple Holden Premier V8 Trimatic. At the time lots of fun but they were pretty awful handling. Used to do the left foot on the brake at lights for quick take off.

Had a ball driving Post Office cars too, only good Brit ones were the Mini and the Chevette. Can't say I liked the manual Falcons with column change and a truck clutch.

Had an Auto Legacy for a while.....Auto = boring.

Electric cars will be even more just A to B. Can you see anyone buying Electric Car Magazines?

" and this week we compare fast chargers"

"

F5 Dave
21st September 2017, 07:15
How to overcharge your car batteries so you can win the next stoplight GP

(Bit like the PC geeks over-clocking malarky of the 90s)

caspernz
21st September 2017, 07:26
The main problem I have in cars is with my knees. Left handers wreak havoc with my latte in the cup holder when I go to lean into the bend...:laugh::drinknsin

An even bigger distraction is how I can't get the same voice on my car and bike GPS. Or maybe the problem is that I like stern instructions :devil2::love::innocent:

The feet topic raised by OP is no worries to me, right foot only in auto. Maybe a bit of heel and toe in a manual car, oh and remembering not to use the cup holder nearest me :whistle::killingme

Grumph
21st September 2017, 07:28
Always left foot brake in autos, myself. Learned in manuals, rode bikes for years before that, in the era when you found the foot controls could be either side for the brake.
If you ever get an auto onto the track, left foot braking is the only way to preload the driveline for good drive off corners....

Paul in NZ
21st September 2017, 09:40
Right foot only...

Modern 5+ speed autos with tipronic are so damn good I don't feel the need to a manual anymore (although Vickis car is a manual) and manuals are a pia in town..

Swoop
21st September 2017, 09:59
Driving manual - right foot is for accelerating and braking.

For the average steering-wheel-turner on NZ's roads that works fine.

Get serious in a manual and the right foot is glued to the noise pedal and the left foot works clutch and brake.

With the skills demonstrated by NZ's s-w-t's (certainly can't call them "drivers" at all) getting more into autos would be good. Getting them into slot-cars or dodgem ride cars would be even better.

EJK
21st September 2017, 10:00
Right foot only...

Modern 5+ speed autos with tipronic are so damn good I don't feel the need to a manual anymore (although Vickis car is a manual) and manuals are a pia in town..

True. Also modern "manual" cars are so user friendly it kinda defeats the purpose of having a stick. I test drove a brand new Ford Focus RS couple of weeks ago and I find that transmission hardly a manual. It auto blips on downshifts, raises revs when you engage the clutch, auto-start in case you stall it... Too easy.

Akzle
21st September 2017, 12:18
Driving manual - right foot is for accelerating and braking. Why would you change this when driving automatic?

well, yeah. unless of course: nah.
left foot braking is way easier than heel-toe, and if you can't clutchless shift it you're a pussy.

manuals are a pia in town..

i see your problem.

Akzle
21st September 2017, 12:23
Now I drive with one foot only (right). Few weeks ago I tried left foot breaking and I nearly hit my head on the steering wheel.

like many things, it's a perishable skill, and if you don't practice while you don't need it, you'll be fucked when you do...

Jeeper
21st September 2017, 13:45
Left foot braking is different to left foot breaking. Just saying.

I do tend to use my left for brake control and right foot for throttle control offroad in tricky situations.

And I have never needed to use left foot braking to avoid any dogs.

Cosmik de Bris
21st September 2017, 13:49
I'm a left foot braker, in a manual as well, go karts did it.

Cheers

Maha
21st September 2017, 14:08
There was a time when a certain three topics would be consigned to 'unseen land' ...Golf/Coro Street and Cars

But anyway, I use to drive to Golf while using both feet eagerly awaiting to watch the previous nights Coro street episode later in the day.

slofox
21st September 2017, 16:18
Never driven a auto i since I got my licence 30 years ago,

54 years ago. Always drove manuals. Then my daughter got pony fever and I found that much easier with an auto (towing fucking horse floats etc etc etc...):Oi: SO have used them for maybe the last 20 years.

Oh and I use only one foot.

roogazza
21st September 2017, 18:06
In the olden days of Police Driver training we use to threaten to tie their left leg to the ancient old radio bolted up under the dash.

But in a case of do as I say and not as I do. I have always used both feet,depending on what I was doing.
It is a bit of an art and should be practiced.

pritch
21st September 2017, 18:31
The only guy I know who regularly used left foot braking in a manual was a stock car driver and probably in private, a frustrated rally driver..
My current horseless carriage is auto and although there are other options for control freaks I just let the auto do its thing.

Akzle
21st September 2017, 18:52
The only guy I know who regularly used left foot braking in a manual was a stock car driver and probably in private, a frustrated rally driver..
My current horseless carriage is auto and although there are other options for control freaks I just let the auto do its thing.

i find "sport mode" acceptable in most autos. hangs onto the gears until torque runs out, and when i give it toes it...y'know, goes faster.

tippytronic - depends on the implementation. side by side i can shift as fast in a manual, faster in some cases.

still fucking hate slushboxes though. and fly-by-wire gives me the shits.

Swoop
21st September 2017, 21:03
Some of the earlier computer equipped cars threw hissy-fits if it thought brake and accelerator pedals were being pushed at the same time.

"Computer says NO!" and HAL would not open the door, as it were...

awayatc
21st September 2017, 21:07
People who drive automatics with both feet should get their fuckin left leg chopped of....

When things go south people tend to tense up.....
And one leg will seize up on the brake...
While the other will keep pushing the accelerator through the floor. ....

Poor driving skills.

AllanB
21st September 2017, 21:29
Right only.

Jeeper
21st September 2017, 21:33
People who drive automatics with both feet should get their fuckin left leg chopped of....

When things go south people tend to tense up.....
And one leg will seize up on the brake...
While the other will keep pushing the accelerator through the floor. ....

Poor driving skills.You've obviously only driven automatics on road only.

awayatc
21st September 2017, 21:35
We are talking about on road driving. ...?

Not racing.....

Pretty fuckin bad being behind some nitwit with his/her brake lights on all the bloody time.

GazzaH
21st September 2017, 21:39
Some of the earlier computer equipped cars threw hissy-fits if it thought brake and accelerator pedals were being pushed at the same time.

'Earlier computers'?? Wot, the abacus-equipped Holden? The Ford Psion? Loadabollox.

Jeeper
21st September 2017, 21:53
We are talking about on road driving. ...?

Not racing.....

Pretty fuckin bad being behind some nitwit with his/her brake lights on all the bloody time.How does using your left foot for braking keep the brake lights on all the bloody time? Its no different than using your right foot or even a stick for operating the brake pedal.

BMWST?
21st September 2017, 22:03
only had an auto for the last year or so.Learnt to ride a bike first,had all manual cars.Only got an auto cos cant get a manual.Still use only one foot Even when i 4x4 i only use 1 foot.The modern auto in "sports mode" dosnt really need the two foot method of downhill driving,the autos lock up much earlier

awayatc
22nd September 2017, 06:41
How does using your left foot for braking keep the brake lights on all the bloody time? Its no different than using your right foot or even a stick for operating the brake pedal.

Because if you drive properly...I. e with your right foot for both pedals.., then you will have to remove your foot from the brake I order to move ahead. Thus you are not braking.
Resting your left foot on the brake pedal while you drive on the other hand......

Voltaire
22nd September 2017, 08:07
We are only a couple of years away from discussing the best mobility scooter.....Automatics :facepalm:

Ocean1
22nd September 2017, 08:33
We are only a couple of years away from discussing the best mobility scooter.....Automatics :facepalm:

Working on it...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/7KdGLMzrc2Q" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Jeeper
22nd September 2017, 09:03
Because if you drive properly...I. e with your right foot for both pedals.., then you will have to remove your foot from the brake I order to move ahead. Thus you are not braking.
Resting your left foot on the brake pedal while you drive on the other hand......I never said I rest my foot on the pedal..... I just use the left foot for braking. Also, not all 'modern' automatics have a sports mode.

Jeeper
22nd September 2017, 09:05
Should we next discuss indicator stalk on left or right of the steering?

Scuba_Steve
22nd September 2017, 09:35

right, the lefts just a stupid place for it & should be banned; no-one can find the fucking thing when it's on the left that's why BMW's, Audi's, Mercs etc have so much trouble indicating

Swoop
22nd September 2017, 12:38
'Earlier computers'??
The (ex)boss used to race jappers and complained about it.

right, the lefts just a stupid place for it & should be banned; no-one can find the fucking thing when it's on the left that's why BMW's, Audi's, Mercs etc have so much trouble indicating
Gotta look for the "one sweep of the wipers = turning left, 2 sweeps = turning right"...:rolleyes:

Maha
22nd September 2017, 14:39

Normally on the left in Ford's....idiots. My current work vehicle has a foot brake instead of a hand brake which is unusual. The Torana Sunbird had the same thing, I guess there were other cars that had a foot brake ..can't think of any off hand.

Drew
22nd September 2017, 15:04
Come sidecar racing. Only brake there is gets operated by the left foot.

Honest Andy
22nd September 2017, 15:45
Or the Eastman Transport forklift champs back in the 90s :first:

Jeeper
22nd September 2017, 16:21
Normally on the left in Ford's....idiots. My current work vehicle has a foot brake instead of a hand brake which is unusual. The Torana Sunbird had the same thing, I guess there were other cars that had a foot brake ..can't think of any off hand.Jeeps have indicator stalks on the left. Seems like only Japanese cars have them on the right.

A lot of the American cars till the 80s and 90s had foot operated emergency brakes (not hand operated parking brakes).

I guess the next question could be whether one uses the parking brake with automatics?

Honest Andy
22nd September 2017, 16:31
The indicator switch on my MOTORCYCLE is on the left...

Sorry, did I shout?

My apologies. It must be the beer talking :drinkup:

Moi
22nd September 2017, 16:55
Jeeps have indicator stalks on the left. Seems like only Japanese cars have them on the right.

A lot of the American cars till the 80s and 90s had foot operated emergency brakes (not hand operated parking brakes).

I guess the next question could be whether one uses the parking brake with automatics?

Many American vehicles built now have foot operated emergency brakes - BTW, the Yanks have tended to always called it an "emergency" brake rather than the English expression of "handbrake" - or quite a few seem to have electric parking brake operation...

As for parking brake with automatics - depends where the vehicle is parked... if flat then Park is often sufficient to prevent the vehicle from moving. If you need to use the parking brake, do you set that then release the foot brake then put transmission into Park or do you set parking brake, put transmission into Park and then release footbrake?

Kickaha
22nd September 2017, 19:42
Come sidecar racing. Only brake there is gets operated by the left foot.

Unless you're riding the AGIP

Drew
22nd September 2017, 20:15
Unless you're riding the AGIP
Leanne's chair was right foot too from memory. We swapped to the left on the red chair.

Swoop
24th September 2017, 15:39
Normally on the left in Ford's....idiots. My current work vehicle has a foot brake instead of a hand brake which is unusual. The Torana Sunbird had the same thing, I guess there were other cars that had a foot brake ..can't think of any off hand.

My rental in Europe last year was a japper and had a fucking weird foot-handbrake thingy.
Fucking people-movers...

rok-the-boat
9th October 2017, 10:49
I only use one foot on autos, but I find it helps to use two in snow or mud. Putting the brake on stops the wheel spinning - a bit - or so I feel. I hate autos. I sometimes do that in manuals too - accelerator and gentle brake when the wheel slips. Not tried it on a dirt bike - might give it a go ... next time out.

GazzaH
9th October 2017, 19:05
Japs, Aussies and Brits drive on the left, so drivers sit on the right (correct) side of the car like us. We can indicate with the right hand while changing gear with the left.

Everyone else drives on the wrong side while holding their knob with the right hand.