PDA

View Full Version : Oncoming lane, lanesplitting

dave100
21st September 2017, 17:21
Are we allowed to; when lanes are too close together or there is only one lane, allowed to ride on the oncoming lane?

Obviously not through a double yellow, but what about single white line or dotted white line.

Laava
21st September 2017, 18:17
You mean overtaking?

Akzle
21st September 2017, 18:47
what's this "we" whitefulla?

and who do you need to "allow" you to do shit? your mum and dad?

it's illegal to cross a solid line. of any colour, for any reason. except in some circumstances.

more relevantly, lines are slippery and shit.

dave100
21st September 2017, 19:13
what's this "we" whitefulla?

and who do you need to "allow" you to do shit? your mum and dad?

it's illegal to cross a solid line. of any colour, for any reason. except in some circumstances.

more relevantly, lines are slippery and shit.

ure in the law section, use ur 2 brain cells to assume who i need to allow me to do shit

FJRider
21st September 2017, 19:36
ure in the law section, use ur 2 brain cells to assume who i need to allow me to do shit

As I understand ... crossing of the center line is only permitted for the purpose of overtaking, or when you are turning.

The infringement notice for driving onto the wrong side of the road on bends carries a $150 fine plus 20 demerit points.

But it is a free country ... so you choose when ... <_<

Akzle
21st September 2017, 19:42

you're*

that's ok pet. there's plenty of grown men don't feel able to make decisions for themselves either.

GazzaH
21st September 2017, 19:44
If it's not safe, the law is irrelevant. There be dragons.

If it's safe, and if you comply with the laws (as outlined in the road code) overtaking is legal. If not, it's not.

There's a big grey area between safe and not-safe, and the law is not as black-and-white as the road code implies.

Your question mentioned 'lane splitting', specifically, not overtaking, with the implication of driving between traffic on your side and oncoming traffic in the other lane, within their lane. Sounds close to suicidal to me - and there are laws against that. It's also petrifying to the cagers who witness some idiot with a death wish, potentially leading them to respond instinctively (whatever that means under the circumstances), then call the fuzz to report said idiot for endangering everyone involved.

Why the big rush? You'll be dead a long time. Chill bro. Enjoy the ride. Stack the cards in your favour. Hold back, watch like a hawk, line yourself up, and wait patiently for the exact right moment to twist-yer-wrist.

IANAL.

Whynot
21st September 2017, 19:53
Why the big rush?

He's in Auckland, which probably means he has the choice of 'overtaking' or getting to work two hours late.

dave100
21st September 2017, 20:16
you're*

that's ok pet. there's plenty of grown men don't feel able to make decisions for themselves either.

"use 'you are' 2 brain cells"? lol r u ok bro?

As I understand ... crossing of the center line is only permitted for the purpose of overtaking, or when you are turning.

The infringement notice for driving onto the wrong side of the road on bends carries a $150 fine plus 20 demerit points.

But it is a free country ... so you choose when ... <_<

It wasn't a turn, though I doubt a police officer would see it as overtaking when passing 10+ cars in one swoop. Plus the only thing close to a full legislative clause for lane splitting is the article by Ride Forever which calls it dangerous but not illegal.

Akzle
21st September 2017, 20:22
Plus the only thing close to a full legislative clause for lane splitting is the article by Ride Forever which calls it dangerous but not illegal.

i don't think you quite comprehend how the legislature is enacted.

protip: it's nothing to do with Ride Forever articles.

...either that or your using words that you don't know what mean.

dave100
21st September 2017, 20:29

Are you an idiot? I said "close to."

Why you crying irl though? lmfao

PS. You're* + a clause has nothing to do with enactment, do some quick googling before making yourself out a fool.

GazzaH
21st September 2017, 20:37
He's in Auckland, which probably means he has the choice of 'overtaking' or getting to work two hours late.

Two hours is still less than 'a long time dead'.

But if the traffic is static or slow-moving, that does change things a little. Frustrated or idiotic cagers doing silly things are still potentially lethal, plus buses pulling out and pedestrians looking the wrong way, and slippery lines and tarmac, and 'little dogs' (mythical or genuine), and inter-lane marbles, and ...

Leave early if you want to arrive. You can always wait in the car park, revving it up to annoy passers by.

awayatc
21st September 2017, 20:56

PS. You're* + a clause has nothing to do with enactment, do some quick googling before making yourself out a fool.

Calling people idiot and such.....?

From somebody who thinks of riding in an oncoming lane as lane splitting?

Not worth arguing with you....

You won't be around long enough to bother.

Star insurance will be selling a deregistered r6 soon i'd say.....

Maha
21st September 2017, 21:09

you're* :niceone: as in fuck you're a knob. That last sentence makes no sense at all.

Katman
21st September 2017, 21:24
you're* :niceone: as in fuck you're of knob. That last sentence makes no sense at all.

:facepalm:

Akzle
21st September 2017, 21:24

[ATTACH=CONFIG]332663

[ATTACH=CONFIG]332664

irl... on teh internets :killingme

isn't it past you're bedtime?

AllanB
21st September 2017, 21:25
It wasn't a turn, though I doubt a police officer would see it as overtaking when passing 10+ cars in one swoop. Plus the only thing close to a full legislative clause for lane splitting is the article by Ride Forever which calls it dangerous but not illegal.

In your title you use the term lane splitting. Passing 10+ cars on the wrong side of the road is NOT lane splitting - it's overtaking.

Read what you wrote in the original post. Appears to me you are talking about a single lane and you are passing in the oncoming lane.

That shit is not lane splitting. To split lanes you need two or more lanes heading in the same legal direction and you wizz up the middle between a pair of them.

Akzle
21st September 2017, 21:27
:facepalm:

lololololol. jesus fucking fuck that sack of shit still has a poorly articulated wide-on for me.

FJRider
21st September 2017, 21:35
though I doubt a police officer would see it as overtaking when passing 10+ cars in one swoop.

So ... Passing 10+ cars in one swoop is NOT overtaking ... ??? :eek:

Plus the only thing close to a full legislative clause for lane splitting is the article by Ride Forever which calls it dangerous but not illegal.

Lane splitting is when all the traffic is going in ONE direction. NO oncoming traffic ... and only dangerous (and ilegal) if you're doing it wrong .. :doh:

Honest Andy
22nd September 2017, 10:20
I sometimes nip up to the front of a queue, especially at those temporary traffic lights they put at road works. Did it every time when I rode SH1T a few months ago, nobody seemed to mind much, and it shaved off a fair bit of time :niceone:
Gotta watch your timing though, so you're not caught on the wrong side of the cones when the opposing traffic comes through :shit:
Oh and it pays to wait at the front of the queue where you still can see the traffic light... :doh:

Berries
22nd September 2017, 23:57
you're* :niceone: as in fuck you're of knob. That last sentence makes no sense at all.
You two not got a room yet?

rastuscat
2nd October 2017, 10:13
Just to clarify. Our legislation doesn't use the words "lane splitting" or "filtering".

Nor does it talk about "overtaking". It uses the word "passing".

Scroll down to Section 2.6 for details.

http://www.legislation.govt.nz/regulation/public/2004/0427/latest/DLM302188.html?src=qs

Big Dog
3rd October 2017, 10:47
He's in Auckland, which probably means he has the choice of 'overtaking' or getting to work two hours late.Crickey, who can afford to live that close to work at current market rates!