PDA

View Full Version : Rubber covered footpegs in the wet...

Toast
9th October 2005, 19:48
I reckon they're totally shit! I nearly slide off the outside peg when trying to weight it around a corner (in the wet).

My bike is an '02 ZX6R. Has anyone else had problems with rubber footpegs on their 6Rs, or any other sportsbikes?

Seriously thinking about getting some not too expensive aftermarket ones.

Bonez
9th October 2005, 19:51
I reckon they're totally shit! I nearly slide off the outside peg when trying to weight it around a corner (in the wet).

My bike is an '02 ZX6R. Has anyone else had problems with rubber footpegs on their 6Rs, or any other sportsbikes?

Never had any issues with 30 year old rubber CB550 Supersport pegs.

mini_me
9th October 2005, 19:53
i got them on my 400, never had any real trouble from them except when i stood in some oil in a gas station then it was very akin to stand on a round ball covered with ice (or some other slippery matter)
m/m

bugjuice
9th October 2005, 20:10
i had metal stock ones, and I've replaced them with different aftermarket ones, cos one of the stock ones broke. Both equally slippy in the wet. But that's the thing. Anything wet is going to be slippy. Unless you strap your foot to the peg, nothing will offer any real level of grip in the wet, so just go easy

cowpoos
9th October 2005, 20:15
i had metal stock ones, and I've replaced them with different aftermarket ones, cos one of the stock ones broke. Both equally slippy in the wet. But that's the thing. Anything wet is going to be slippy. Unless you strap your foot to the peg, nothing will offer any real level of grip in the wet, so just go easy

aftermarket metal pegs from sato or simalar company will...the sato ones are like cheese graters...mega grippy...

I broke mine on a lowside :cry: now I have shit rubber covered standard one's again... :argh:

justsomeguy
9th October 2005, 20:19
Unless you're trying to get your knee down on a race track, you will find that using the middle of your foot to push your pegs down will stabilise your feet.

I know what you mean by having your feet slip off the pegs, can get a bit :argh: if it happens at the wrong time.

Lou Girardin
10th October 2005, 08:07
Perhaps it's your boots. I've never had a problem with rubber or metal pegs.

Toast
10th October 2005, 16:43
Perhaps it's your boots. I've never had a problem with rubber or metal pegs.

Yeah I was actually thinking about that part of the equation today Lou. I realised that the grip is way better when I've got flexible soled street shoes on, which ofcourse doesn't help the problem of wanting to go harder in the rain.

I think I'll buy new pegs anyway, 'cos the standard ones are too fat and deck out too much at the mo'. Will look out for the jagged Sato ones, cheers for that cowpoos.

I definitely wanna solve this problem, 'cos I've come to love riding in the wet and sliding it around a bit...but shit scary when you nearly fall off the bike doing so.

Back Fire
11th October 2005, 00:16
I find that my bike with stock metal pegs gets more slippery than the stock rubber pegs on my spare bike.... :mellow:

Smorg
11th October 2005, 07:54
:mellow: I've got the best (or worst) of both worlds, ive got a little metal 250 peg on one side and on the other ive got my rubber one thats standard i dont really notice to much of a difference except that the 250 peg tends to be a little small for my boot and it dos slip occasionally, i really must get around to getting a new one :argh:

pritch
11th October 2005, 13:06
http://www.spieglerusa.com/cfm/footbrakets.cfm

Toast
12th October 2005, 10:14
I saw some at Mt Eden M/C yesterday which have little holes through which screws can be placed...so, if you put the screw in from the bottom up and have the tail sticking out...you've got super grip...just gotta be careful that you don't slide your boot around too much 'cos it could tear the sole to bits.

LXS
12th October 2005, 16:57

Yeah I've got the rubber ones on my 250, they can get a bit messy in the wet, I just slide my boot till the edge of the heel hits the peg.

Prob just common sense stuff but thats what I do! :whocares: