PDA

View Full Version : The Broken Up Blat.

James Deuce
9th October 2005, 19:54
I had a workmate in the UK called Alex Wylie. I used to call him "Griz" but then you were probably expecting that. He was a very big Rugby fan and no mean player himself. However he suffered from a couple of things that I saw as personality defects, but then he reckoned I had more so I should shut up. He was pretty big, but nonetheless I still gave him a bit of stick, just to get an idea of his world view.

Being a Rugby Union worshiper, a pilgrimage to NZ and Australia was an obvious choice for Griz for his first OE. Griz was profoundly disappointed with both countries, because apart from their obvious worship of oval ball sports, the actual people at home in their actual country, little resembled the standard Shepherd's Bush dwelling, ANZAC pub vomit decorating rootin', tootin', sex machine that inhabited the the country of his birth, albeit in a largely temporary capacity. No, your average Kiwi and Aussie was comparatively quietly content in his/her home environment.

They also had a startling prediliction for revelling in the starkly contrasted landscape and scenery of both countries, and, what's more, actually interacting with an environment lacking dance clubs, vast shopping estates, ancient architecture, and nearby and recently aggressive neighbouring states. Kiwis and Aussies do stuff like swimming at the beach, having family BBQs, and actually having dinner parties and get togethers IN OTHER PEOPLE'S HOUSES. Which aren't tower block apartments, terraced houses, or even semi-detached houses. No, they live in bungalows and villas for the most part.

You see, Griz's world view could be summed up by the statement he used to justify his villification of these two isolated and sparsely populated countries: "You can only take so much fucking scenery." His idea of the perfect time involved tarts, recreational drugs of the snorted, inhaled, imbibed, and swallowed variety, then rinse and repeat. Sexual politics far outweighed quality of life (however you define it) in importance.

Well, Bollocks to that.

Being the lucky, lucky, lucky bastard that I am I went for ride to a family function today. Then I rode back. Unlike all of the rides I've been on this year I was flying solo, and the scope for doing your own thing, stopping where you like and generally not bothering to worry about anything other than riding and looking out for Enid and Alfred out on their Sunday jaunt, is immense.

The weather was fascinating. It looked like a brilliant warm Spring day, but had all the sting of a mid-winter chill, thanks to a recent snowfall on the Tararuas. Which is really the point. In the space of 2 hours you can go from flat plains, through gently rolling lush farmland, and over vertiginous hill roads that sing a siren's song of cornering delight, tempered only by a niggling, vegetarian, abstinence endorsing, Anglican Vicar called Self-Preservation. But sometimes you round a corner, drift to a stop and there, apparently right in front of you, is a Mountain range shrouded in cloud and snow.

I live here, and still don't get enough of it. Griz, you pommy git, you can keep your simple slappers, interested only in a shag, a pint, and a life time of DPB, your drearily repetitive Dance parties in Ibiza, and your cheap package tours to the Aegean Islands, in search of hairy Greek slappers and cheap Ouzo. I get poetry every day.

Nyah.

RantyDave
9th October 2005, 20:04
Dude,

Fabulous. Full marks. Fark the UK.

Dave (ex-Essex boy)

Storm
9th October 2005, 20:12
Once again, you've said it better than I could. Well said that man :D

boomer
9th October 2005, 20:45
Summed up a treat - Im still a Pommie 'Norfern Munkey', but enjoying this beautiful country.

Nice work mate

et al
9th October 2005, 21:26
Good write-up, sounds like you had a great day - and I have learnt a new word: vertiginous. Thank You.

Hitcher
9th October 2005, 21:31
Tops! We had a great day in the Wairarapa too. But not as eloquent, even though the intercoms worked. Finally.

jrandom
10th October 2005, 08:58
broken up BLAT? I prefer mine in one piece.

anyways thank you, jim. Ive often wanted to say something similar, but it always comes out sounding sort of mean and badtempered.

you are the voice of the children of the revolution.

El Dopa
10th October 2005, 19:28
...dance clubs, vast shopping estates, aggressive neighbouring states...tower block apartments, tarts...

...morons whsoe entire existence is recreational drugs of the snorted, inhaled, imbibed, and swallowed variety, then rinse and repeat, who like pushing broken bottles into the faces of people who have no interest in fighting.

....simple slappers, interested only in a shag, a bacardi breezer, and a life time of DPB, your drearily repetitive Dance parties in Ibiza, and your cheap package tours to the Aegean Islands, in search of hairy Greek slappers and cheap Ouzo.

Fuck off you chav twats.

There's a reason we moved out here. And it was to get away from cocks like him.

Mooch
11th October 2005, 02:39
Home sick now :crybaby: ..... But very true. Can't say I'll miss the Pubs here when I leave as much as riding in NZ. Must be at least 500,000 Alex's in town on every Friday and Saturday

2wheels in Red Beach
11th October 2005, 21:40
I am a pommie git been ere five years now.
I do miss the pubs.
But the scenery and the friendly folk this side of the globe I much prefer.
New Zealand you rock (no pun intended):2thumbsup

manuboy
12th October 2005, 07:29
As Split Enz would say ... "(nz) you're a hard act to follow"

Slingshot
12th October 2005, 07:54
Geez...You're sounding more and more like Jeremy Clarkson every day. Rambling on about some totally unrelated shit and then tying it in with a report of your ride.

Nice write-up though.

vifferman
12th October 2005, 07:58
I liked it! Great stuff, JimNumberTwo! :niceone:

eliot-ness
12th October 2005, 09:08
Your mate sounds like one of those beer swilling, P popping creeps that inhabit downtown city centres everywhere in the world, including Auckland and Wellington. Definitely not a biker. However, to classify the UK on his myopic vision of the good things in life is a little bit harsh. I spent the first 35yrs of my life in the Yorkshire Dales, an area where roads were built before the straight line was invented, where a days biking was 300 miles without using the same road twice. No mountains, but scenery as good as anywhere in the world. Winding river valleys followed by steep climbs to moorland where the odd sheep was the only thing you saw on the road. Country towns, no bigger than Warkworth, were the norm. Pubs didn't have juke boxes, maybe background music in some of the rowdier establishments, and an asprin was the strongest drug you could buy outside the chemists. Good times, and still not much different. More traffic now but nothing to attract the city creeps intent on living in their own drug induced dreamworld. If, as happens too often, you base your knowledge of a whole country on "Eastenders' or 'Coronation Street' or the misguided ravings of some brain dead moron with no respect for life, then you can write off the rest of the world and hide away in your own little corner. Or, if you can't make the trip and find out for yourself what other countries have to offer, do a bit of research. Get the AA guide to Great Britain and see just how much there is outside London or the other main centres.
You will be surprised.
Incidentally. I've been in NZ 31 years so I think I can make a fair comparison. Love it here, wouldn't go back, not for any of the reasons stated in Jims post. Simply because I'm quite capable of making my own lifestyle, wherever I live.

James Deuce
12th October 2005, 09:15
Errr - Eliot, if you read the post you'll see that he was a workmnate of mine, while I was in the UK. I do get it. Anywhere North of the Watford Gap is absolutely fine in terms of people, scenery, and attitudes. Living in Southampton highlighted just how bigotry and "racism" isn't about colour, but about the perceived quality of the Country and Culture one originates from, and the preceived place in the world that those looking down their nose have.

Learned to deal with it eventually.

I still like France better than the UK though. They have a wicked sense of humour, and were far more respectful. To most people in the UK I was JAFK. In France we regularly got ushered to the head of queues, got free stuff, and generally had a smiley time.

Mr Wylie's attitude was pretty representative of anyone under 30 in the South of the UK, irrespective of chemical addiction.

eliot-ness
12th October 2005, 09:39
Sorry Jim, wasn't being critical of your post. On the contrary, it's quite mild compared with the mail I get from over there. I was just pointing out the alternative UK for people who haven't been over there and tend to base there opinions on what they see on the idiot box. Must agree with you on the rides here. I've ridden over to SH16 via Woodcocks Rd. half a dozen times in the last few weeks and haven't seen another vehicle, car or bike. Not many places left where you can do that.

James Deuce
12th October 2005, 10:27
Sorry Eliot, I took that the wrong way!

TonyB
12th October 2005, 10:40
Top write up there Jim.

Slightly off centre, but oft have I wondered how people like Griz, or people who's world revolves around cafe's, gyms, clubs, shopping and generally being a poser, would cope in the case of a major war or natural disaster, where all the things they held so dear are now just..... gone. Kind of like that episode from Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy, where a ship full of hairdressers, fashion models etc suddenly find themselves stranded on pre-historic earth. Everything they thought so important simply doesn't exist, and none of them are equipped to survive.

Blackbird
12th October 2005, 11:38
Great stuff Jim

I've lived here for 30 years and on the odd trip back to the UK, I've been profoundly aware of how inward-looking a lot of my friends are (and presumably always were, like I was at that stage I guess). On the other hand, I've had the pleasure of hosting a couple of Blackbird owners from the UK in the last couple of years and they think NZ is mind-blowing. I'd imagine that would apply to bikers from anywhere.

I think we can safely conclude that there are two types of people, wherever they come form..... people who ride bikes and the rest :whistle:

Excellent post

Geoff

TonyB
12th October 2005, 11:57
I think we can safely conclude that there are two types of people, wherever they come form..... people who ride bikes and the rest :whistle:

I reckon there are four kinds of people:
Those who have never ridden a motorcycle, and never want to
Those who would like to try but haven't
Those who try it, but give it up due to an accident or other unpleasant experience and will never go back
Those who tried it, and are hopelessly addicted. And no matter what happens, bikes will always have a place in their soul.

Blackbird
12th October 2005, 12:07
Bang on Tony - I'm in the "soul" category and my wife would agree :niceone:

Pixie
17th October 2005, 10:51
The antithesis of biking is Golf-
The devil's game
A bunch of lost souls wandering around prime land,waiting to die.
Or worse- the ones that watch the golf