PDA

View Full Version : WOF Question?

Nausea
20th October 2017, 10:05
Random question, my local VTNZ says they only do WOFs on bikes up to 250cc because they say that is all they are qualified to do.

I thought the 250cc rule vanished with LAMS... anybody know if there is a different rule for warrants?

Black Knight
20th October 2017, 10:11
Regardless of LAMS,they should have amongst there employees a fully licenced rider-not that they ride far anyway.Often with a classic bike like yours they shy away for fear they might drop it.Find someone other than VTNZ,this has been my experience with classic bikes.

YellowDog
20th October 2017, 10:44
I think you'll find that it is their choice and not their lack of qualifications :yes:

They must be lacking in skills/confidence and may have had an insurance claim, following a mishap.

My VTNZ lets me do all the riding and testing. They just watch and take notes :Punk:

Honest Andy
20th October 2017, 10:50
I don't have an answer to that but I just want to say it's a dumb rule. I've had lots of warrants from different places and no testing officer has ever ridden my bikes. Makes the rule pointless and it's a pain to have to ring around different places every time just to find out 'if the bloke with the license is there today' :brick:

Honest Andy
20th October 2017, 10:52
Whoops. I didn't mean to do a 'Friday Rant'... :laugh:

rastuscat
20th October 2017, 13:39
Funny. I took a troll bike for a WoF at VTNZ in Tuam Street some years back.

Little Asian due was the only one there with a bike licence, so he got the job.

I sat and watched him struggle to even start the bike, let alone test the brakes. Had one foot on the ground. Second wouldn't reach.

Funniest was watching him try to test the horn. So many buttons on a troll bike, he managed to start lights and siren before he found the horn.

iYRe
20th October 2017, 13:53
from what I can understand, they can only WOF bikes they are legally allowed to ride. If their bike WOF guy has to ride LAMS, then they can only WOF LAMS...

Go to a different VTNZ? I mean.. the further away it is, the better the ride right?

Jeeper
20th October 2017, 15:10
from what I can understand, they can only WOF bikes they are legally allowed to ride. If their bike WOF guy has to ride LAMS, then they can only WOF LAMS...

Go to a different VTNZ? I mean.. the further away it is, the better the ride right?But LAMS can be up to 660cc, 250cc is long gone.

FJRider
20th October 2017, 16:43
I think you'll find that it is their choice and not their lack of qualifications :yes:

Yep ... I think it's company policy rather than regulations.

iYRe
20th October 2017, 16:55
But LAMS can be up to 660cc, 250cc is long gone.

Seems weird.. VTNZ manukau - both branches do WOF - I will be getting one tomorrow

sidecar bob
20th October 2017, 17:28
I don't have an answer to that but I just want to say it's a dumb rule. I've had lots of warrants from different places and no testing officer has ever ridden my bikes.

Well then they're doing a shit W.O.F. Take it to a motorcyclist that understands bikes & takes it around the block ,for your own safety.
I have been a bike wof inspector (amongst a pile of other things) constantly for the past 25 years.

OddDuck
20th October 2017, 17:39
Agreed, it's bullshit. I've taken the 900ss to my local VTNZ and got a WOF without any issues. That said, I did have to arrange the one guy at the station who was licensed for motorcycle WOFs to do the test.

Katman
20th October 2017, 17:47
In the last 10 years I've had just two motorcyclists refuse to allow me to test ride their bikes.

They got told to fuck off somewhere else.

eldog
20th October 2017, 18:00
In the last 10 years I've had just two motorcyclists refuse to allow me to test ride their bikes.

They got told to fuck off somewhere else.

Winners all round

cassina and akzle

eldog
20th October 2017, 18:57
That used to be the way with my WOF place as all they needed to do was just watch me do a braking test. There must have been a rule change to prohibit this but I dont know how demonstrating braking can be faked which must have been the reason for it.
Did they sell tickets?

AllanB
20th October 2017, 19:40
I dont know how demonstrating braking can be faked which must have been the reason for it.

It's not a orgasm, lock up the rear wheel, yank on the front so it dives and they are happy.

Never heard of a bullshit 250cc rule. The wof check sheet covers the same for a 250 as a 1250.

Been enjoying a three year WOF :niceone: these are ace. I'll be taking it to a bike shop in another year as the muffler has one of those annoying 'track use only' plates on it ......

rastuscat
20th October 2017, 19:50
Been enjoying a three year WOF :niceone: these are ace. I'll be taking it to a bike shop in another year as the muffler has one of those annoying 'track use only' plates on it ......

I'm in at least 2 minds about 3 year wofs.

I just ticked over 3 years on the RT.

54000 km. A lot can go wrong in 54000 km. I'm pretty fastidious with the bike, but someone who doesn't care about the bike could do with someone else looking at it more often than 3 years.

AllanB
20th October 2017, 20:22

54000 km. A lot can go wrong in 54000 km. I'm pretty fastidious with the bike, but someone who doesn't care about the bike could do with someone else looking at it more often than 3 years.

I agree - but I'm anal about my rides so no issue at my end. Other people though ............

nerrrd
20th October 2017, 20:23

I have a neighbour who's driving a late model Ford Mondeo which must have been in a fairly serious accident. No front driver's side window or side mirror and dents right along the same side of the car, metal torn in places and rusting. Occasionally she tries and fails to tape a shopping bag to the window to stop the rain getting in. Been that way for months. As a vulnerable road user, I'm concerned that it's not safe for it to be on the road, but she clearly doesn't care and nobody's stopping her. Guess it'll stay that way till there's another accident - and it has a current warrant of fitness.

Ginge09
20th October 2017, 20:24
Your VTNZ is bullshit Nausea. WOF is an inspection done by qualified bike people. They either know bikes and are qualified to test, or they're not.

Take your bike elsewhere.

Woodman
20th October 2017, 21:20
I have never ever had a tester at a testing station ride any of my bikes any further than a couple of metres to test the brakes.

WNJ
21st October 2017, 07:22
Have been to a couple of VTNZ in Hamilton , I have NEVER had them ask to ride bike to do a brake test , they have ALWAYS asked me to do it, even where they had a fully licensed rider,

Honest Andy
21st October 2017, 07:53
I don't think anyone should put too much faith in the wof test. They look at a few key points only, and it's all stuff that you should be checking anyway.
I struggle to have patience with people who don't know their brake lines are frayed or their steering stem is loose before they pull out of their drive.

Big Dog
21st October 2017, 08:12
In Auckland I have never had any problem at avondale, rosebank (phone ahead they only have a bike inspector 2 days a week), the one down near Stanley st, Kingsland or Pukekohe (phone ahead their bike inspector only works most Saturday's and as a reliever apparently he works as a mechanic at one of the local bike shops).

In general testing stations (vtnz or otherwise) near collections of bike shops have good bike testers.

sidecar bob
21st October 2017, 08:19
I have never ever had a tester at a testing station ride any of my bikes any further than a couple of metres to test the brakes.

Lol, great brake test, if you never leave your driveway maybe.
As bad or worse than observing someone else perform the test.
Time to put in a few remits I think.

AllanB
21st October 2017, 09:00
Have been demoing some brand new cars lately and the steering is as lose as on cars that have done well over 100,000km. I was told its to do with the new technology of electric power steering. I wonder how many car crashes have been caused due to the loseness (light feel) in modern car power steering? I read a review that said even top end Porsche sports cars dont even steer as well as they did when they had hydralic power steering.

Fucks sake. It's not a loose feeling, it is light steering.

Every car feels different between models etc - same as motorcycles. You adjust to suit as the driver/rider.

rastuscat
21st October 2017, 09:16
15 minutes ago I did a basic handling test for a WoF certified mechanic. He works at VINZ.

He confirms that the 250 cc thing is wrong. It's LAMS linked.

Those inspectors with 6L and 6R can only WoF LAMS approved bikes. You need a 6F to do a WoF on a non-LAMS bike, due to having to ride the bike to do the brake test.

I think it's common sense, but common sense is disappointingly uncommon.

Honest Andy
21st October 2017, 09:26
15 minutes ago I did a basic handling test for a WoF certified mechanic. He works at VINZ.

Those inspectors with 6L and 6R can only WoF LAMS approved bikes. You need a 6F to do a WoF on a non-LAMS bike, due to having to ride the bike to do the brake test.

Oh now you've spoilt this thread by getting it back on topic!

Laava
21st October 2017, 09:27
Have been demoing some brand new cars lately and the steering is as lose as on cars that have done well over 100,000km. I was told its to do with the new technology of electric power steering. I wonder how many car crashes have been caused due to the loseness (light feel) in modern car power steering? I read a review that said even top end Porsche sports cars dont even steer as well as they did when they had hydralic power steering.

Are you getting dumber every day?

rastuscat
21st October 2017, 09:40
Oh now you've spoilt this thread by getting it back on topic!

My bad.

Okay, how does one know if the headlight fluid on a bike has been changed recently?

ellipsis
21st October 2017, 09:44
My bad.

Okay, how does one know if the headlight fluid on a bike has been changed recently?

...it turns a milky colour...you should have known that...

sidecar bob
21st October 2017, 10:19

It comes back to the rule that an inspector of any type of vehicle must hold the appropriate licence to operate the vehicle.
I'm not sure where that puts cof inspectors regards P.S.V inspections. They may just need a H.T licence seeing as the vehicle is not carrying paying passengers at the time of inspection.

Owl
21st October 2017, 10:38

Yeah I get that. I'm at 57,000km and still got 6 months to go before the 3 years is up.

Not sure how the OEM tyres are going to hold out that long.:scratch:

Maha
21st October 2017, 10:39
A WOF was once refused due to the headlight lens that could be turned with your hand, easy fix...''can I have a Phillips screwdriver please''? ''No you'll have to take it away to do that then re-book it''... seriously? :shit: he finally relented and it was dealt to there and then...this was the same WOF inspector who refused our caravan a WOF because 'the brake lines were not done to his liking' they were done by Pit Stop. After further 'discussion' about this issue, he again relented and gave the van a WOF saying ''it was just his opinion''

The foot brake on my Wife's bike didn't light up the rear brake when used, so I used to pull the hand control on at the same time as foot control the appease the WOF inspector...it worked, WOF issued every time.

eldog
21st October 2017, 12:33
I have read a few reviews about the steering in brand new cars and there is no one specific word reviewers use to describe as you put it "light steering". For example there was a Jeep Cherokee review that described the steering as "numb". My whole point is while it may be ok around town steering on the open road requires a lot more concerntration when it feels so light. I have read that electric steering was brought in because manufacturing costs are less. A bit like the CVT transmissions now in a lot of cars maybe.

Numb like your posts

Maha
21st October 2017, 12:37
Yeah I get that. I'm at 57,000km and still got 6 months to go before the 3 years is up.

Not sure how the OEM tyres are going to hold out that long.:scratch:
They last about a day on any new bike have bought over the years.

eldog
21st October 2017, 12:42
The foot brake on my Wife's bike didn't light up the rear brake when used, so I used to pull the hand control on at the same time as foot control the appease the WOF inspector...it worked, WOF issued every time.

Multi talented too, don’t let Katman find out

Honest Andy
21st October 2017, 12:57
My bad.

Check the filler bottle for spare lumens, then check the level by dipping...

eldog
21st October 2017, 13:07
Check the filler bottle for spare lumens, then check the level by dipping...

I have spare lumens, they make me hi

Honest Andy
21st October 2017, 13:13
I have spare lumens, they make me hi

That's flash, but I think I'll pass

Woodman
21st October 2017, 14:12
I have read a few reviews about the steering in brand new cars and there is no one specific word reviewers use to describe as you put it "light steering". For example there was a Jeep Cherokee review that described the steering as "numb". My whole point is while it may be ok around town steering on the open road requires a lot more concerntration when it feels so light. I have read that electric steering was brought in because manufacturing costs are less. A bit like the CVT transmissions now in a lot of cars maybe.

My last three cars have had electric power steering and did not have the issues you read about in one of your imaginary articles. In fact all three firm up when on the open road.

Swoop
21st October 2017, 14:35
Random question, my local VTNZ says they only do WOFs on bikes up to 250cc because they say that is all they are qualified to do.

I thought the 250cc rule vanished with LAMS... anybody know if there is a different rule for warrants?

What area of Auckland are you in?
Some of us might be able to recommend alternative testing locations for you.

rastuscat
21st October 2017, 14:41
Rastus do you remember a time when they let owners of all bikes do their own brake test? If so whats the reason for them having to do it now?

I bet some tosser fell off while demonstrating their own brakes, then tried to blame the testing station. That's why silly rules get enforced.

AllanB
21st October 2017, 15:09
My last three cars have had electric power steering and did not have the issues you read about in one of your imaginary articles. In fact all three firm up when on the open road.

MrsB's Golf has electronic - set up vary depending on your speed. Being able to vary it will be why they run electronic - not cost.

eldog
21st October 2017, 15:16
That's flash, but I think I'll pass

Just as long as you indicate as you pass, I don’t need to be flashed, a friendly hazard flash after you pass to say thanks for not being an idiot :yes:

I won’t be too blown away.

eldog
21st October 2017, 15:18
I bet some tosser fell off while demonstrating their own brakes, then tried to blame the testing station. That's why silly rules get enforced.

Your communicating with the cause.:mobile:

eldog
21st October 2017, 15:20

Have they got colour tv down where it lives yet?

must have just finished using the horse and cart

Jeeper
21st October 2017, 15:27
MrsB's Golf has electronic - set up vary depending on your speed. Being able to vary it will be why they run electronic - not cost.Hydraulic systems have had variable speed for sometime. My son's Golf GTI with an electric power steering is not really any different in feel than the hydraulic pump system on my Jeep. Vagueness in steering can be truck load of things, with nothing to do with the pump. New Jeep Cherokee is electric power steering as well, anyone that says its feel is numb has not driven it (just read made up articles in LalaLand Publications using their numb brains).

Jeeper
21st October 2017, 15:44
How difficult is it to stay on topic on any thread?

eldog
21st October 2017, 15:48
You would have had to experience driving a brand new car with old hydralic power steering to understand what I am on about or do some internet research on the subject. An article I read said that cars with firm steering are less tiring to drive and therefore safer.

who would have a new car with OLD hydraulic power steering?

Haven driven vehicles with and without power steering, it’s a matter of adjusting to each type.
but when the power steering fails for whatever reason you know all about it then.

just as easy for me to drive firm or light steering, usually they are geared about the same. Some more so than others.

so for me, NO it doesn’t affect being tired either way. So not safer.

but try an older vehicle without power steering and try a lot of slow speed movement, it will take much more effort. Still doesn’t affect safety.

all about driving to your skill, the surroundings, the situation, your attitude/frame of mind etc

would be nice for you to post a reference to a least one of these ‘articles’ or are you too lazy?
too old, not intelligent enough, shy or what ever excuse.

maybe it’s time you where banned from KB?

eldog
21st October 2017, 15:54
How difficult is it to stay on topic on any thread?

Deflection/change the subject/not being able to quote sources/don’t answer questions/not admit fault/evade direct answer etc. All modis operandii of a certain KB member

for the rest of us, the occasional deviation is usually short lived.

Jeeper
21st October 2017, 16:01
I was wondering how long it would be before someone disapproved of me talking cars and not bikes.
Maybe a site administrator will get the non bike specific posts of mine removed to keep you and others
who dont like non bike chat happy.You are an idiot. Whether your off topic trolling is on bikes or cars doesn't matter, they are off topic for this thread or any thread you pollute. You start your own thread on the merits of electric vs hydraulic power steering systems.

Jeeper
21st October 2017, 16:02
Deflection/change the subject/not being able to quote sources/don’t answer questions/not admit fault/evade direct answer etc. All modis operandii of a certain KB member

for the rest of us, the occasional deviation is usually short lived.I know, it would be great if admins could intervene suitably and remove said person from posting anything in future unless on topic.

eldog
21st October 2017, 16:08
Look up the articles yourself but I bet they would not convince you I am right anyway. I agree that without any powersteering at all slow speed driving is not easy. I only ever drove one car like that and it was only at city speeds which when out on the open road may have even been better than hydralic ps to drive.

Go on get me banned for non bike chat!!

Myself I don’t have anything against non bike stuff as long as it’s reasonably relevant to the thread.

what I object to is the constant reference to articles, posts, web sites with no way for the rest of us to look at what your looking at.

its a no brainer, ban yourself.

ah yes, a no brainer.....

Jeeper
21st October 2017, 16:23
What an idiotic overly sensitive muppet you are. People even discuss the election on KB did you know???? There must be some others keen to deviate from bike chat otherwise they would not have reponded to me with their views on the topic?I seem to have hit a nerve. I didn't know nerves could exist without a brain. KB discusses many things, but in their own relevant sections and threads. If you don't have the decency or intelligence to understand that, then you better stay off KB thread hijacking with nonsense posts.

eldog
21st October 2017, 16:53
I could understand your argument if I introduced the topic of pornography.

Are you going to provide quotes or references or photos or video you are involved in?

i suggest it would be in another web site altogether

FJRider
21st October 2017, 17:01
I could understand your argument if I introduced the topic of pornography ...

It might increase your popularity ... if it's found that is a subject you know something about ... :shifty:

Katman invites members to suck his cock an a regular basis ... seems to have made a few friends too ... (probably just a coincidence <_<)

Woodman
21st October 2017, 18:00
You would have had to experience driving a brand new car with old hydralic power steering to understand what I am on about or do some internet research on the subject. An article I read said that cars with firm steering are less tiring to drive and therefore safer.

I have had brand new cars with hydraulic power steering. And as I said the electric ones are quite firm on the open road. And the article you read only exists in your head*

*Was going to say brain but not sure if you have one.

pritch
21st October 2017, 18:32
Cassina, this thread has got nothing to do with power steering of any type in any type of car. The OP was asking about local rules at his WoF tester for bikes bigger than 250cc.. The answer to that is simple, he should go somewhere else and keep doing that until he finds somewhere that does it right.

On most of the Internet groups I follow any statement quoting something someone read will be immediately followed by a request for a link to the source .

Maha, I can't figure out why you went back to the place that fucked you around. Please tell me you'll never darken their doorstep again.

Y'all, it's like the old (Arab?) saying. "If a man takes advantage of me shame on him. If he does it again, shame on me."

gsxr
21st October 2017, 22:22
I bought up the bit about lose power steering in response to a post about the WOF inspector doing a check for lose steering on a bike. One story can indirectly lead to another and I really do not understand the hang up you and a few others have as its not like launching into a discussion on pornography where if I did I could understand your dislike.

Cassina Start a new thread on pornography. As you are an expert on all subjects it will be very enlightening.

pete-blen
22nd October 2017, 01:20
:corn: :argue:

Woodman
22nd October 2017, 07:03
https://www.caranddriver.com/features/electric-vs-hydraulic-steering-a-comprehensive-comparison-test-feature.

I would say these guys would know more about power steering systems than you but I bet you will say the whole story is made up anyway.

Thanks. You did read it didn't you?

No more powersteering talk in this thread

AllanB
22nd October 2017, 14:14
Did you read it and believe it? Not that I would care anyway.

Several of our findings were predictable; some surprised us. The first discovery was that neither BMW excels in steering feel and feedback, an observation consistent with the mediocre reviews we’ve given every 5-series, including the M5, since the sixth-generation design arrived three years ago.
After griping about EPS for years, the shocking revelation is that C/D’s editorial staff preferred BMW’s electric system over its hydraulic assistance. Total votes in seven out of ten rating categories favored EPS by two to eight points each. Hydraulic shined in only the three Feedback categories where it won the on-center comparison by four points and tied with EPS in our middle-of-maneuver and at-cornering-extremes performance ratings.

Woodman
22nd October 2017, 16:41
Thanks. You did read it didn't you?

No more powersteering talk in this thread

Did you read it and believe it? Not that I would care anyway.

Several of our findings were predictable; some surprised us. The first discovery was that neither BMW excels in steering feel and feedback, an observation consistent with the mediocre reviews we’ve given every 5-series, including the M5, since the sixth-generation design arrived three years ago.
After griping about EPS for years, the shocking revelation is that C/D’s editorial staff preferred BMW’s electric system over its hydraulic assistance. Total votes in seven out of ten rating categories favored EPS by two to eight points each. Hydraulic shined in only the three Feedback categories where it won the on-center comparison by four points and tied with EPS in our middle-of-maneuver and at-cornering-extremes performance ratings.

:nya::nya::nya::nya::nya::nya::nya::nya:

pete-blen
23rd October 2017, 10:14
took the box for a WOF on sat at the AA ...
I have these day running lights on the front &
the left side was not working... so it got tossed out
So I removed them in the car park... went back though
no probs got the WOF...
surely one day running light working has to be safer
than having none...
fuck the rule book & show some common sence...
So I drove away with a new WOF in a car less safe than when
I went in......

Laava
23rd October 2017, 10:44
no probs got the WOF...
than having none...
I went in......

Yep, but you could also have struck the guy that just tells you to get it repaired and gives you the wof...not sure which place he is working now tho....
Bit frustrating eh?

Jeeper
23rd October 2017, 12:05
For non-mandatory items, if they are attached they have to work. If they are not there, no problem as they are not a required item. Common sense on WoF can become really dangerous, I prefer simple standards that we know we have to have as a minimum. Common sense works where the WoF guy says your bulb is blown or light is misaligned, and I can fix it on site for him to then pass it. Rather than the need to go away, rectify and come back again.

sidecar bob
23rd October 2017, 15:32
Yep, but you could also have struck the guy that just tells you to get it repaired and gives you the wof...not sure which place he is working now tho....
Bit frustrating eh?

Which, as it turns out, never works.
As soon as the label is on the windscreen, nobody cares about honouring any deal that was made to issue a wof on some condition or another being met.
They're back at the next wof with, "oh, that thing you said I had to fix at the last wof, I haven't done it yet"
Or they go somewhere else & when that guy fails them, they moan like a bitch that "the last guy gave me a wof with it like that"

GazzaH
23rd October 2017, 18:06
VTNZ inspectors in Hastings have been kind to me in the past ... and I've fixed the few minor issues they noticed but let through. It's a convenient arrangement provided we both play the game. Customers who take the piss may screw it up for the rest of us.

AllanB
23rd October 2017, 18:17
Customers who take the piss may screw it up for the rest of us.

Valid for any business I'm afraid. Sometimes ..... people....are......shits.

awayatc
24th October 2017, 17:39
VTNZ inspectors in Hastings have been kind to me in the past ... and I've fixed the few minor issues they noticed but let through. It's a convenient arrangement provided we both play the game. Customers who take the piss may screw it up for the rest of us.

Am with you....

Have same arrangement at my regular wof place....
And I always do what I say....
And say what I do.
Old fashioned.........

russd7
24th October 2017, 21:46
the local VTNZ just love it when i rock up with the wing, often a comment along the lines of "what the hell am i supposed to check on this, ya can't see anything" they have gotten to know me reasonably well now tho and know i look after my bikes

ellipsis
24th October 2017, 22:47
...most were intimidated by our Wing...one young fella who took it for it's test admitted he went on a 20 k test 'cos it was so much fun...made me grin...

veldthui
25th October 2017, 06:55
I just took my BMW R1200RT in to VTNZ yesterday for a warrant and the dude didn't get on it. Checked the lights and horn worked, gave the wheels a wiggle and then tried and failed to find the VIN number. On the form however it said stopped in 3M at 35kph. Passed with flying colors (which it would have anyway even if he did check it properly.)

veldthui
25th October 2017, 07:00
no probs got the WOF...
than having none...
I went in......

I just turned my running lights off and told the dude they only come on at night and I didn't know where the sensor was to allow them to come on.

Some things are just plain stupid like testing the high beam lights are not too high. My high beams are completely separate and who cares if they are too high as they are not on when another vehicle is coming towards me.

rastuscat
25th October 2017, 09:04
I just took my BMW R1200RT in to VTNZ yesterday for a warrant and the dude didn't get on it. Checked the lights and horn worked, gave the wheels a wiggle and then tried and failed to find the VIN number. On the form however it said stopped in 3M at 35kph. Passed with flying colors (which it would have anyway even if he did check it properly.)

That's fraud.

Imagine how you'd feel if he failed you based on a brake test he hadnt done.

It doesn't matter how convenient it is, that's BS that should be reported.

rastuscat
25th October 2017, 09:09
Consider this. If a tester is happy to shortcut the brake test for your bike, what else is he happy to shortcut?

It's a question of integrity. You either have it or you don't.

awayatc
25th October 2017, 12:34
That's fraud.

Fraud?....
No it isn't. ...

Fraud:

"wrongful or criminal deception intended to result in financial or personal gain"........

A wrongful deception would be for instance to say that speed kills....
Or that speed causes accidents...
Etc.etc.etc.

Financial gain is the millions and millions of $ the nz police collects each year by enforcing those untrue statements...and being fraudulent.

Now THAT is fraud....

Or is it extortion...?

Or worse: both

Jeeper
25th October 2017, 13:32
Where's that definition of fraud from?

awayatc
25th October 2017, 14:02
First one that came up when I googled definition of fraud.....

Guy not riding bike at wof inspection is many things...

But fraud it is most certainly not

Jeeper
25th October 2017, 15:27
Right or wrong, you picked the definition of fraud that suits your viewpoint. But in reality it is fraudulent behavior to declare something has been done when it has not been done. It could become criminal charges if the bike's brakes fail a meter down the road and the rider dies.

awayatc
25th October 2017, 16:43
No... I did not "pick " anything....
I just copied definition that Google provided..
Free of charge. So also not fraudulent.

Weather pigs can fly or not is a different story again.

Wof inspector was however not fraudulent....

Lazy he was most likely.
But if that became a criminal offense then most of the NZ police force would on the other side of the bench in court daily...

RC himself has more then once srated on this very forum that to try and issue "infringenent notices" on anything but speeding "offenses" was a lot of hard work without much results.

That translates into being lazy don't you think?

AllanB
25th October 2017, 17:43
Wof inspector was however not fraudulent....

He was charging for a service that he stated he supplied but did not. Also knowingly filled out a legal document stating he had carried out the inspection.

If you took your motorcycle/car into a shop for a oil and filter change, got charged for both and later found out the filter had not been changed what would it be?

Jeeper
25th October 2017, 17:48
He was charging for a service that he stated he supplied but did not. Also knowingly filled out a legal document stating he had carried out the inspection.

If you took your motorcycle/car into a shop for a oil and filter change, got charged for both and later found out the filter had not been changed what would it be?Laziness? According to above logic. But to each their own.

awayatc
25th October 2017, 18:24
It's not that I think wof inspector did a great job.

Just don't think it's fraud.

People that go with well looked after bikes for wof only go to get legally required sticker.
Not to find out if their bike is safe or not.

Unlike a wof for a car/truck....
There is fuck all to a bike wof check...

So I don't go/pay for a service...

I go /pay to get my sticker.

Doesn't matter what they do or do not check

rastuscat
25th October 2017, 19:32
The fraudulent part is filling out a form declaring that a brake test was done and signing it as true.

You either have integrity or you don't. My signature means something. Others clearly are happy to lie.

pritch
25th October 2017, 20:25
The fraudulent part is filling out a form declaring that a brake test was done and signing it as true.
You either have integrity or you don't. My signature means something. Others clearly are happy to lie.

The guy I normally go to has a good attitude. He doesn't fuss about silly shit, but neither does he pass faults. I have complete confidence in his work.

I had occasion to go elsewhere due to him having a health problem and saw checks done that I've never seen before. VTNZ sure as Hell never did that stuff. I suspect that none of the testers test absolutely everything unless they suspect there is a problem.

If you turn up with a late model bike that looks in good shape it may be that you get one sort of check. If you turn up with an out of shape heap of shit so loud it makes peoples' ears bleed there may well be a different - more extensive - set of checks. Sure, there's probably just the one set of checks in the book. Then there's the real world.

awayatc
25th October 2017, 23:01
Imagine if you would rely on your friendly wof inspector solely for your steeds safety requirements......

Once a year ( or 6 monthly for those with older bikes) somebody looks at your 2 wheeled fire chair and gives you the all clear.....

That's it?

You trust your life and limbs on the strength of of that wee sticker alone....?

Most bikers that have managed to survive thus far will most certainly have developed their own life preserving strategies around all that.

So how relevant is a wof for a serious bike rider?

Plus what is the inspector checking by riding it for 100 or so meters?

Usarka
6th November 2017, 10:02
VTNZ can lick my scrote.

rastuscat
6th November 2017, 19:42
VTNZ can lick my scrote.

Clearly you're not fussy about who does that.

roogazza
7th November 2017, 05:45
Went in to VTNZ Levin last week for WOF. Pretty thorough check I thought and only 45 bucks.
Being sport bike, the guy used a stand to jack it up each end. (first time I'd had that done)
I sat on it while he checked lights etc and then I rode it at walking speed to slam on each brake in turn.
He said he had a bike himself.
No nonsense stuff, I was impressed.

MarkH
7th November 2017, 16:19
Why are people going to VTNZ? Especially in Auckland, there must be better choices.

Here in Morrinsville my normal place for a WoF is quick and efficient and properly checks stuff that should be checked. The mechanic takes the bike for a short ride (2 or 3 minutes I'd guess). The only hassle I've had is when the guy that does bikes was on holiday, had to go to a motorcycle shop that also does a good job but not quite as quick. I think I only pay 35 or 40 bucks at my regular place, pretty good value.

rastuscat
7th November 2017, 21:32
Why are people going to VTNZ? Especially in Auckland, there must be better choices.

Here in Morrinsville my normal place for a WoF is quick and efficient and properly checks stuff that should be checked. The mechanic takes the bike for a short ride (2 or 3 minutes I'd guess). The only hassle I've had is when the guy that does bikes was on holiday, had to go to a motorcycle shop that also does a good job but not quite as quick. I think I only pay 35 or 40 bucks at my regular place, pretty good value.

I'd prefer to get a WoF at a place that doesn't do repairs. That way they have no financial motivation to find things that need fixing.

jellywrestler
7th November 2017, 21:49
I'd prefer to get a WoF at a place that doesn't do repairs. That way they have no financial motivation to find things that need fixing.

surely a government appointed testing place wouldn't be biased now would they?

rastuscat
8th November 2017, 05:11
surely a government appointed testing place wouldn't be biased now would they?

It's the McDonalds mentality which has crept into VTNZ that concerns me. Each time I WoF a car I get offered an oil change, service, window clean, large fries.

If I wanted any of that stuff I'd go to my mechanic.

I guess it's a good thing for someone who doesn't care much for their vehicles. Convenient.

But all o want from them is an honest inspection according to the rules.

awayatc
8th November 2017, 07:48

Heard that very same justification before.....
Not sure if it holds water.

Must be a boring job for a mechanic....
So they are either not very great mechanics to start with,
And /or they get so bored /frustrated with their monotonous daily routines that they start finding fault/making shit up.

Money for wof is easy earn for any garage.
Much better then making shit up and fixing things.

I always go to my local friendly workshop.....
They appreciate the business

Cosmik de Bris
8th November 2017, 09:23
It's the McDonalds mentality which has crept into VTNZ that concerns me. Each time I WoF a car I get offered an oil change, service, window clean, large fries.

If I wanted any of that stuff I'd go to my mechanic.

I guess it's a good thing for someone who doesn't care much for their vehicles. Convenient.

But all o want from them is an honest inspection according to the rules.

I'm not sure about convenient, often lots of people. For my car I book in at a garage near work and they do it while I wait. For my bikes I go to a local motorbike shop and if they can't do it right away they give me a loner. That's convenient. Oh and I always stress that I'll go somewhere else for repairs.

Cheers

FJRider
8th November 2017, 09:26

Personally ... minor shit that needs fixing for a WOF at testing time ... I'd rather get sorted then and there. Fuck taking it away to bring back later.

The WOF fee converted to an hourly rate ... makes it easy money for half an hours work.

sidecar bob
8th November 2017, 16:55
The WOF fee converted to an hourly rate ... makes it easy money for half an hours work.

except when you factor in all the associated costs & overheads of becoming & maintaining both a wof site & inspectors licence.

jellywrestler
8th November 2017, 17:11
except when you factor in all the associated costs & overheads of becoming & maintaining both a wof site & inspectors licence.

wots a licence worth? i get fucked off with vtnz charging a fortune for a trailer, they have the same number of rear lights as a car, even less with no reversing lights and nothing adjustable in the lighting dept to check, two wheels a very visible chassis and fuck all else. used to be ten dollars cheaper than a car when i had a trailer

FJRider
8th November 2017, 17:46

As I recall ... the individual testers are the ones licensed to issue WOF's.

If in the case of an unsafe vehicle is found on the road with a current WOF ... the finger is pointed at the tester that did the check. NOT the firm he/she works for.

sidecar bob
8th November 2017, 17:52

If in the case of an unsafe vehicle is found on the road with a current WOF ... the finger is pointed at the tester that did the check. NOT the firm he/she works for.

I sold my wof issuing BMW specialist garage a month ago after 23 years of ownership.
You wouldn't believe the compliance costs if I could be bothered posting them up, or the liability for fucking it up.
Don't just guess, buy a wof garage & make yourself heaps of money with no outlay or fear of liability.

Katman
8th November 2017, 17:57

You clearly know fuck all.

MarkH
8th November 2017, 20:30

I understand that idea, but have not found any such problem at any place I've ever gotten a WoF from. In fact I'd rather get a WoF from the place that does my repairs so that if they start making shit up I'll know to find a new repair shop.

Usually a vehicle I own will breeze through the WoF and when it doesn't I can usually see quite clearly (once pointed out) why not and get that issue rectified.

russd7
10th November 2017, 21:15

Must be a boring job for a mechanic....
So they are either not very great mechanics to start with,
And /or they get so bored /frustrated with their monotonous daily routines that they start finding fault/making shit up.

Money for wof is easy earn for any garage.
Much better then making shit up and fixing things.

I always go to my local friendly workshop.....
They appreciate the business

i have had this happen once, new town and we bought a runnabout, took it in for a wof to a local garage (one of two in town) car cost us $1000.00 the things the garage failed us on were quoted $1600.00 to repair, so i took it to a mechanic i knew and he had a look at all the things the garage had put down, lets just say that in ten years ownership of said vehicle and 40000kms we only had to fix one of those things and that was after 30000km. needless to say that garage has never had any of our bussiness nor do we ever recommend them

awayatc
11th November 2017, 06:46
i have had this happen once, new town and we bought a runnabout, took it in for a wof to a local garage (one of two in town) car cost us $1000.00 the things the garage failed us on were quoted $1600.00 to repair, so i took it to a mechanic i knew and he had a look at all the things the garage had put down, lets just say that in ten years ownership of said vehicle and 40000kms we only had to fix one of those things and that was after 30000km. needless to say that garage has never had any of our bussiness nor do we ever recommend them

I have had a few bad experiences as well....
Once bought a saab real cheap in christchurch because owner was told by his garage it had a blown head gasket....was quoted $2000 to repair.
Long story short...
Garage very deliberately misdiagnosed....and I ended up with very cheap car trouble free for next 8 years.

Have a few more bad experiences but that one was redicilously deceptive. Did notify and explain story to guy I bought car from

sidecar bob
11th November 2017, 07:55
I have had a few bad experiences as well....
Once bought a saab real cheap in christchurch because owner was told by his garage it had a blown head gasket....was quoted $2000 to repair.
Long story short...
Garage very deliberately misdiagnosed....and I ended up with very cheap car trouble free for next 8 years.

Have a few more bad experiences but that one was redicilously deceptive. Did notify and explain story to guy I bought car from

For fucks sake, you would have to be very desperate to deliberately want to do a head gasket on a Saab by choice.
That kind of work has such a small profit margin & exposes the garage to unnessacarry risk at so many levels even if it did actually need doing. There truly are some dumbasses running garages.

awayatc
11th November 2017, 08:32
For fucks sake, you would have to be very desperate to deliberately want to do a head gasket on a Saab by choice.
That kind of work has such a small profit margin & exposes the garage to unnessacarry risk at so many levels even if it did actually need doing. There truly are some dumbasses running garages.

Car did not have headgasket problem.....
He would have pocketed 2k for not doing anything much st all

Woodman
11th November 2017, 08:54
Would have had to falsify the invoice for supplying a head gasket/head set, head bolts, milling the head. Even if he had mis-diagnosed it and taken the head off the $2000 would still be the same work involved whether the gasket was blown or not. would be a very very dodgy operator to just give the car back and charge for parts and labour that they didn't do. Suppose they are out there though.

awayatc
11th November 2017, 21:13
Would have had to falsify the invoice for supplying a head gasket/head set, head bolts, milling the head. Even if he had mis-diagnosed it and taken the head off the $2000 would still be the same work involved whether the gasket was blown or not. would be a very very dodgy operator to just give the car back and charge for parts and labour that they didn't do. Suppose they are out there though.

Nah....easier to explain over a beer.
I am a fairly handy mechanic myself
Trust me.
This waa a money grabbing deal gone wrong.
I bought and buy project vehicles all the time. ..
There are some dodgy mechanics about......