PDA

View Full Version : Insurance and Violation tickets

kawa64
3rd November 2017, 17:54
Does anybody have any experience with their insurance premium being heavily impacted by perhaps a speeding ticket they received?

What exactly is the increment per ticket on the cost of your insurance?

Does it matter what kind of ticket? i.e No L plates on learners, 10kph over, 60kph over...

What is the long-term impact of these tickets on premiums?

rastuscat
11th November 2017, 05:39
Insurance is based on an assessment of risk.

It's likely that an insurance company would consider a history of tickets as a risk.

Many people mansge to get through life without collecting tickets, its likely that those who get them are doing something special. That's where the risk but comes in.

Even an L plate ticket indicates a willingness to break the rules. I've heard all the stories about L plates falling off, but it's normally BS. If people actually wanted to comply, they would find a way.

You've got to be fairly unlucky to get caught doing something these days. And getting caught multiple times goes beyond bad luck.

My guess is insurance companies factor this in. Mine only wants to know about tickets going back 5 years.

nzspokes
11th November 2017, 05:55
Insurance is based on an assessment of risk.

It's likely that an insurance company would consider a history of tickets as a risk.

Many people mansge to get through life without collecting tickets, its likely that those who get them are doing something special. That's where the risk but comes in.

Even an L plate ticket indicates a willingness to break the rules. I've heard all the stories about L plates falling off, but it's normally BS. If people actually wanted to comply, they would find a way.

You've got to be fairly unlucky to get caught doing something these days. And getting caught multiple times goes beyond bad luck.

My guess is insurance companies factor this in. Mine only wants to know about tickets going back 5 years.

In 35 years driving/riding Ive had 1 ticket. That was in a customers car with a faulty speedo. Guess I suck at guessing speed.

And i'm a hoon. Guess time and a place.

Gremlin
11th November 2017, 14:47
There is no way to specifically quantify any one breach and how much it exactly affects your premium, unless you know the people who programmed the algorithms. I'd guess the staff would have no idea, as they simply punch in the details and computer says xyz ;)

It's the same as where you live. It's a factor, and the suburbs with more theft increase your premium. As the cat said, it's about risk. If you identify yourself as a more risky client (by receiving tickets/losing your licence, being in at-fault incidents, or writing vehicles off) then you're going to pay more. You can switch insurers, but they're all going to be pretty similar.

At the extreme end, you can have an excess matching the vehicles value.

caspernz
11th November 2017, 18:25
Does anybody have any experience with their insurance premium being heavily impacted by perhaps a speeding ticket they received?

What exactly is the increment per ticket on the cost of your insurance?

Does it matter what kind of ticket? i.e No L plates on learners, 10kph over, 60kph over...

What is the long-term impact of these tickets on premiums?

Each insurance company will use their own set of criteria to set your "risk profile" so best you ask your insurer.

How long an insurer considers past tickets will vary, some 5, some 7 years, etc.

Safe to assume that, like RC already pointed out, if you've got a high risk profile your insurance will be costly.