PDA

View Full Version : How to kill a mocking bird

F5 Dave
10th October 2005, 10:18
Actually I think it was a sparrow & he bounced off the storm shield of the van & that was Saturday, so why the hell am I rambling about it?
RIP sparrow. :crybaby:

Ok Sunday I extracted myself from bed having been to a dinner party the night before for my wife’s birthday & we had probably had one wine too many so it was a little late I arrived at the WIMA run.

After that I decided I wanted to put up some miles, or kilometres for the pedantic.

So here’s the ride report part:
Rang a few people but they were out so I went myself. I went for a ride. It was good. Did a few hundred k. It didn’t rain.

Where did I go & what happened? Not telling. Get on your bike & find a road that you haven’t been on before, or for a long time & find out. Ride past Pa Valley road & say, “well I wonder what’s up there?” Guess now is as good a time as any to find out. Again, not telling.

I live/eat/sleep thinking about bikes. I trail ride, trials ride, race buckets & enjoy getting out for a fang on the sportsbike. But one thing is the amount of time I used to spend on the touring bike (RF) has been limited to two up afternoon trips for lunch somewhere or the occasional rally (which is still cool).

What I have rediscovered almost by accident was being slightly hung over I wanted a relaxed ride. There wasn’t the ‘have to keep the pace up’ of going out with some of the guys & I could decide to go have a nosey at anything that caught my fancy. The only problem being wgtn based was having to ride past Masterton to get to roads I don’t frequent often on the sportbike.

The other advantage of not going hell for leather, was the cock coming the other way from Alfredton on the Black late-model sportsbike (ZX10 maybe?) who was largely out of control would have had a harder time trying to avoid me. Had I been going for it, or in a car I think his time (and more importantly likely mine) would have been up. I stopped to give thanks & stop trembling. :calm:

But my point is what a great way to spend some time by yourself or a similar minded mate & see the country with no particular place to go & only weather & daylight as your direction or timekeepers. :done:

Storm
10th October 2005, 11:28
Nice report- a little unconventional, but a nice change all the same

F5 Dave
10th October 2005, 11:30
Cheers. Like the Blindspott glib thing in your signature.

Motu
10th October 2005, 11:53
Ridin' along in my automobile
My baby beside me at the wheel
I stole a kiss at the turn of a mile
My curiosity runnin' wild

Cruisin' and playin' the radio
With no particular place to go.

Applies to bikes too of course - but my curiossity is for the road and where it goes....or might go.One of my little ''rules'' is I have to do a road I haven't been on before when I go for a ride,so even if it's a familiar route,I'll take another of those blue signs that flash by....always wondered where that one went...

On friday morning after dropping my daughter at the airport....a thrush crashed into the Pajero,I was only going slow in the car park....it recovered and then just sat on the bonnet in a daze looking at me with big eyes.I was getting a bit worried as we came onto the main road and I still couldn't pull over,but finally it flew away....I wonder what she told the kids when she got home....?

F5 Dave
10th October 2005, 12:04
Yeah I hit a seagull not for from where I hit this sparrow (Petone foreshore) it was going for some tidbit on the road. Made a bit of a dent in the front of the work van & tumbled underneath. Crumbs, better go pick up this carcass so someone doesn’t come off their bike or something. So I stop, jump out & walk back up the road. I did have an idea about taking it back to work & mounting it on the boss’s desk so he could interrogate it if he made a fuss about the dent.

So then this dead seagull picks itself up, shakes it’s head like a boxer & flies off!! Sheesh! :apumpin:

Hitcher
10th October 2005, 12:09
Nice write-up. And where is the Pa Valley Road?

F5 Dave
10th October 2005, 12:17
Backroad to Eketahuna, I'm not too falsh with directions. Now I think about it could have been right from Alfredton, but I think I got a way down & thought aw screw it the weather looks darker this way. Or maybe it was one of the gravel roads (must buy adventure bike someday). But the point is to just go for a look.

Was that you stopped up for lunch in Greytown?

Hitcher
10th October 2005, 12:18
Was that you stopped up for lunch in Greytown?
About halfpast two-ish? That would be afternoon tea time...

F5 Dave
10th October 2005, 12:20
Yeah, guess tie was marching on, I tend to eat late & was geting hungry by then. Which reminds me it's time for lunch.

James Deuce
10th October 2005, 12:32
Nice write-up. And where is the Pa Valley Road?

I'll take you. Up for it?

Nice write up Dave.

F5 Dave
10th October 2005, 12:34

. . ..

Said the Bishop to the Actress :mellow:

Hitcher
10th October 2005, 14:00
Most certainly, unless it's really poxy gravel... A November outing could be a go!

Bartman10
10th October 2005, 14:38
2000 mockingbirds = 2 kilomockingbirds

and some more non-SI definitions. Sorry about hijacking your thread Dave.

Ratio of an igloo's circumference to its diameter = Eskimo pi

2000 pounds of Chinese soup = Won ton

1 millionth of a mouthwash = 1 microscope

Time between slipping on a peel and smacking the pavement = 1 bananosecond

Weight an evangelist carries with God = 1 billigram

Time it takes to sail 220 yards at 1 nautical mile per hour = Knotfurlong

16.5 feet in the Twilight Zone = 1 Rod Serling

Half of a large intestine = 1 semicolon

1,000,000 aches = 1 megahurtz

Basic unit of laryngitis = 1 hoarsepower

Shortest distance between two jokes = A straight line

453.6 graham crackers = 1 pound cake

1 million microphones = 1 megaphone

2 million bicycles = 2 megacycles

365.25 days = 1 unicycle

2000 mockingbirds = 2 kilomockingbirds

52 cards = 1 decacards

1 kilogram of falling figs = 1 Fig Newton

1000 milliliters of wet socks = 1 litrehosen

1 millionth of a fish = 1 microfiche

1 trillion pins = 1 terrapin

10 rations = 1 decoration

100 rations = 1 C-ration

2 monograms = 1 diagram

4 nickels = 2 paradigms

2.4 statute miles of intravenous surgical tubing at Yale University Hospital = 1 IV League

100 politicians = Not 1 decision

Hitcher
10th October 2005, 17:35
Superb. Will recycle. Shamelessly.

James Deuce
10th October 2005, 18:01
Most certainly, unless it's really poxy gravel... A November outing could be a go!

Perfectly healthy tarmac, followed by an unhealthy (but delicious) lunch at the Black Stump.

Hitcher
10th October 2005, 18:22
Perfectly healthy tarmac, followed by an unhealthy (but delicious) lunch at the Black Stump.
Kind Sir. Your most generous of offers shall be uptaken graciously by the Hitcher whanau. We have not yet Black Stumped, yet have parked perilously proximate on occasion.

F5 Dave
11th October 2005, 11:42
Yeah I'm keen too.

Mmm, lunch. [looks at watch] Ah, that'll be why I'm hungry