PDA

View Full Version : 1997 ZX6R advice

Coldkiwi
16th January 2003, 16:56
Has anyone got any knowledge of 97 ZX6R's?

I'm looking at buying one (bugger getting left behind down the back of Puke!) but I'm curious to know if anyone's had any trouble.

I know the 98 model was a big step up (never mind this years!) and I can't seem to have found any disastrous problems online but I'd love to chat to someone who's owned one.

:D

Skunk
17th January 2003, 07:53
Great all round bike :bigthumb:

BUT!

The F1, F2 and F3 model have a rare issue of frame cracking. You have to remove the tank and fairings to see it. Where the ram-air duct goes through the frame the beam cracks. Very rare. Look for it. :eek5:

Other than that I can't think of a better all round 600 sportbike of that age.

Coldkiwi
17th January 2003, 11:22
Would i be right in guessing that this is something that is more likely to have happened on a seriously thrashed bike than one that has been so unabused its a travesty? (I have inside info on the owner being fairly gentle with it to the point of it being a crime!)

thanks for the advice.

Pickle
17th April 2003, 11:18
We have 2 ZX6r's in the garage & have not had a problem with either. They both still pull the big revs my wife's bike has 72000ks & mine has 46000ks neither use oil, both have been serviced regularly & have been fed synthetic oil. If buying check it has been serviced as valve timing is critical on any bike that pulls 14000rpm or more. Kawasaki NZ did have some Formula 2 kits available a while back which give them more mid range & top end power. Mine had the kit & was putting out 106bhp at the back wheel without ram air effect. 

Coldkiwi
18th April 2003, 01:09
these kits you speak of.... HOW MUCH AND WHERE!?? :D Mine has got an Advanced Ignition plate (don't ask me how it works) that retuned it for low and mid range which is damn awesome but now that I'm used to it more top end would be nice (so, for that matter would be an RSV R but that's another story!)

I'm about to get a carbon oval remus can because its just too quiet

have you done the exhausts at all doug?

Pickle
18th April 2003, 06:04
The kits were available thru Kawasaki NZ, if they still have them they should be cheap. As you have the ignition plate you should at least have the ignition box & if you put the pipe on then a power increase should be noticable. The cams need to be re-timed this gives more mid range & smoother power, great for doing wheelies out of slower corners when giving it heaps.

If you have trouble with Kawasaki NZ & the kits let me know as I know of a kit or at least the person to speak to re this.