PDA

View Full Version : Brake Reservoir Leak

Cookie
10th October 2005, 17:37
Hi all,

This forum is a great source of information - thanks to everyone who answers questions here.

I have recently bought a 1994 Honda VT250CR (aka Magna) to get back on two wheels after almost 20 years. The bike's got a couple of things things to tidy up.

Number 1 is a small leak from the front brake fluid reservoir. At first I thought it was comming from the top gasket, but its not. Its coming from the place where the brake lever pushes into the side of the unit (I am pretty sure the rubber seal there is shot).

I am interested in comments on the best approach is with this. Can I replace the rubber seal, or do I replace the whole brake unit?

Also interested in what sort of costs I might be looking at with this.

There is quite a bit of info on bleeding procedures here so I am happy to have a crack at doing the work myself.

Any comments welcome!

MSTRS
10th October 2005, 18:41
It'll be the cup on the end of that rod that is gone. The bore it travels down is probably hinkey as well. If you can get an oversize cup, then hone out the bore to suit. Otherwise get a replacement unit from a wreckers.

Cookie
10th October 2005, 19:05
It'll be the cup on the end of that rod that is gone. The bore it travels down is probably hinkey as well. If you can get an oversize cup, then hone out the bore to suit. Otherwise get a replacement unit from a wreckers.

Thanks MSTRS - from your description it sounds like a trip to the wreckers for me then.

It will have to stay in the garage till I have sorted it out. :mellow:

MSTRS
10th October 2005, 19:09
Good call. Make sure you get a guarantee with it (they should give 3 months on that sort of thing). Can't mess around with your main brake eh.

FROSTY
10th October 2005, 19:50
Henry (TAKA) has one in stock from a spada250 -itll fit right on

Pixie
10th October 2005, 21:48
You should be able to get a rebuild kit (piston and seals)
I did my bandit recently,the kit was $50