PDA

View Full Version : Chain stretch service limit DID 530VX

cbfb
19th December 2017, 22:54
I've checked the chain on my gsx750f against the service limit and it's bang on the limit.

The guy I bought the bike from (he's a mate and I trust him) said the previous owner had replaced the chain not many kms ago. He even found the receipt for the chain.

Is it possible there may be some slight difference in the link length and/or service limit between factory and the did 530vx?

If not what's another good way of checking the chain?

cbfb
19th December 2017, 22:56
Ps I took the measurement with the chain stretched out via the chain adjusters

caspernz
20th December 2017, 00:16
Another method of checking for chain stretch is to grasp the chain at the rear sprocket, in the 3 o'clock position or rear, and see if you can lift the chain away from the sprocket by any significant margin.

Pic shows the method:

https://goo.gl/images/dCL47C

Owl
20th December 2017, 06:19
Is it possible there may be some slight difference in the link length and/or service limit between factory and the did 530vx?

No, all 5 series chains are 5/8 inch (15.875mm) between pins.

I'd be vary wary if chain is at the limit. Out of the last 4 I replaced, only 1 had reached the limit and that was absolutely fucked. Some develop tight spots, loose spots, all together, or you could have just 1 really worn link? Either way, fucked is fucked.

Akzle
20th December 2017, 07:19
Another method of checking for chain stretch is to grasp the chain at the rear sprocket, in the 3 o'clock position or rear, and see if you can lift the chain away from the sprocket by any significant margin.

Pic shows the method:

ek se?

that wont indicate elongation..

take the fucker ff, put it on the bench, measure over 10 links, compare to spec.

cbfb
20th December 2017, 08:43
Pic shows the method:

Thanks, I'll use that as a rough check when I'm giving the bike a look-over before a ride.

No, all 5 series chains are 5/8 inch (15.875mm) between pins.

I'd be vary wary if chain is at the limit. Out of the last 4 I replaced, only 1 had reached the limit and that was absolutely fucked. Some develop tight spots, loose spots, all together, or you could have just 1 really worn link? Either way, fucked is fucked.

That's interesting, the manual states 319.4mm max length over 21 pins, which works out at 15.209 pin-to-pin. So the manual is obviously a lot tighter tolerance than the figure you quoted. I've had a google and the pitch figure you gave seems to be correct. So I guess the manual was wrong, their max stretch is less than the pitch of a new 530 chain! This website (http://www.sprocketsunlimited.com/Chainmaintenance.html) gives a max stretch of 16.031mm pin-to-pin. Sound right?

I know it's the correct chain because I got a quote for a replacement from a different shop and he gave me the exact same one.

take the fucker ff, put it on the bench, measure over 10 links, compare to spec.

Yeah I'll take it off to give it a clean at some point.

caspernz
20th December 2017, 08:56
ek se?

that wont indicate elongation..

C'mon chap, the method I outlined is a rough indicator, has worked for decades...:innocent:

cbfb
20th December 2017, 09:01
C'mon chap, the method I outlined is a rough indicator, has worked for decades...:innocent:

I did ask for another good way to check the chain so I thought this was fair enough. Definitely a good pre-ride check, means I'll keep an eye on it as I'd only get the tape measure out every once in a while.

swarfie
20th December 2017, 09:56
As a general rule of thumb I have always used up to 1 1/4 pitches of chain total length movement as the limit before replacing on the average length rear chain. 15.875 x 1.25 = 19.84 mm so if it's stretched more than 20mm, bin it.

Owl
20th December 2017, 11:14
That's interesting, the manual states 319.4mm max length over 21 pins, which works out at 15.209 pin-to-pin. So the manual is obviously a lot tighter tolerance than the figure you quoted.

No you're just adding it wrong. 21 pins is 20 links, so multiply 15.875mm x 20 = 317.5mm.;)

T.W.R
20th December 2017, 11:39

Pic shows the method:

:niceone: +1

Any more lift off the sprocket than 1/3 she's fucked and I don't care for spec measurements as there's too many variables in usage out in the real world so if more than half of the allowable adjustment is used on the adjusters toss the chain too.
Sprocket sizes effect chain wear a lot too, the smaller the drive sprocket the harder life the chain is going to get :msn-wink:

cbfb
20th December 2017, 12:31
No you're just adding it wrong. 21 pins is 20 links, so multiply 15.875mm x 20 = 317.5mm.;)

I've attached the sections from the manual. It says the max wear limit is 319.4mm along a 21-pin length as shown in their diagram. My chain is bang on their stated wear limit. Bearing in mind they count the first pin, 319.4mm / 20 pins = 15.97mm. So my 15.209mm was wrong as you said.

We've established that the 530 chains are 15.875mm as standard, so do you think the 15.97mm max wear limit is correct?

I've already posted a link that suggested 16.031mm. This website (https://www.peterverdone.com/archive/chainsandsprockets.htm) suggests 1% for 'performance' use, i.e. 15.875 x 1.01 = 16.034mm.

Taking an average of 16.033, that works out at 16.033 x 20 pins = 320.66mm.

So as new length is 317.5mm, my chain is now 319.4mm and the limit is 320.7mm.

I think from this I will leave the chain and check it again in a month or so. I need a new front tyre so would rather throw my limited cash at that.

ellipsis
20th December 2017, 12:49
...it's either loose or it's not...get a new one and feel good that you have one less thing in life to worry about...

cbfb
20th December 2017, 12:55
...it's either loose or it's not...get a new one and feel good that you have one less thing in life to worry about...

This thread's got nothing to do with it being loose, we're talking about wear. Specifically that the manual contradicts other sources.

ellipsis
20th December 2017, 13:06
...chain stretch equates to a loose chain...as does wear...no?...

george formby
20th December 2017, 17:11
This thread's got nothing to do with it being loose, we're talking about wear. Specifically that the manual contradicts other sources.

Wear causes looseness. I don't get to hung up on a chain stretching, as long as it only has a bit of pull off the rear sprocket, a few mm or so.

It's the wear itself you should be looking at. If the chain is flapping like a wizards sleeve it can hop off the sprocket but I don't think yours is that flappy.

You need to check for tight (seized) links, broken seals, oval pins etc. Damage. Your chain coming to a sudden stop at warp speed is a real eye opener. And wallet opener for that matter. Other things open suddenly, too.

What are your sprockets like?

So yeah, don't get hung up on a load of measurements, check the condition, link by link.

My 2c anyhoo.