PDA

View Full Version : sidecar at intersection

old slider
27th December 2017, 11:41
Another no fault motorcyclist.

https://www.facebook.com/enginessociety/videos/2029228647358927/

pritch
27th December 2017, 11:51
I've only looked at a few of the comments under that clip but there are some real riding gods on social media apparently.

Scubbo
27th December 2017, 12:15
nightmare >_<

neels
27th December 2017, 12:19
I bet that unfolded in front of him in slow motion.

About all you could do to minimise damage would be to get the left leg out of the way, but even that would take a pretty quick reaction.

jasonu
27th December 2017, 12:26
Another no fault motorcyclist.

https://www.facebook.com/enginessociety/videos/2029228647358927/

Some cunts need a punch in the face.

caspernz
27th December 2017, 12:40
That sucks! Rider had very little time to do anything...even if it happened in slow motion in his eyes.

old slider
27th December 2017, 13:12
That sucks! Rider had very little time to do anything...even if it happened in slow motion in his eyes.

I have replayed it a few times in my head just trying to think of how to pre-empt a similar situation, stopping a bit further back from the intersection wouldn't have helped, but it maybe have given a nano seconds more time to throw your leg over.

pete376403
27th December 2017, 13:23
Be interesting to see how (if this occurred in NZ) media and ACC would treat it. Until the camera footage surfaced it would probably be reported as a motorcycle accident

caspernz
27th December 2017, 13:23
I have replayed it a few times in my head just trying to think of how to pre-empt a similar situation, stopping a bit further back from the intersection wouldn't have helped, but it maybe have given a nano seconds more time to throw your leg over.

Yep, even after seeing it a few times, the finesse required to quickly take off in a straight line would be absent due to the urgency of the situation...:mad:

eldog
27th December 2017, 13:26

Its definitely is one of those sickening times when you know something is wrong but you just can’t do anything about it.

its some ammo for those to get ACC to credit motorcyclists with some reduction in cost (make all costs in this case attributed to car) when there is multiple vehicles (at least or extenuating circumstances) involved. Still no fault just move the cost to car side of ledger. Or create a new column multivehicle/acts of god-luck.

Oakie
27th December 2017, 18:24
That is a scenario that plays through my head at a couple of particular intersections on my daily commute. I'm prepared to leap off and roll to hopefully a safer place but stuggle with not putting the side stand down just in case the car doesn't actually hit the bike. You'd feel a right twat doing the big action-man shoulder role as your bike hits the ground only to find that the car missed you by 10 metres. Explain that to the insurance people.

pritch
27th December 2017, 20:42
An example of what I have been trying to get through to many on here that when its someone elses fault its all down to luck in terms if you are able to escape the situation or not. Maybe it might educate some on here as to why I feel we should not be paying higher ACC premiums than car drivers too.

Hey Old Slider what did I tell ya? Shit oh dear! I'd hate to be as predictable as Cassina.

old slider
27th December 2017, 21:19
Hey Old Slider what did I tell ya? Shit oh dear! I'd hate to be as predictable as Cassina.

Right on the button, sorry, all I can say is it was a wet windy day.

Oakie
28th December 2017, 10:37
Maybe it might educate some on here as to why I feel we should not be paying higher ACC premiums than car drivers too.

I know many struggle with that but the facts are that we cost more to fix and it's a 'no fault' system.

Old Steve
28th December 2017, 10:44
And one of the comments asked, "Why was the bike rider beating on the hood of the white car?"

Cause, you stupid prick, his left leg was crushed between the car and his bike. Just shows how cage drivers don't understand how bikes are vulnerable. And if they don't understand that, then they'll just continue to pull out into our space or turn across the road in front of us.

Katman will be along soon to say the bike rider should have been aware of the situation and taken steps to avoid it. I suppose Katman stops his bike 200 metres before any intersection and goes and stands in the paddock in case the car coming on the straight through road collides with the car pulled up at the stop sign.

Woodman
28th December 2017, 11:17
I was rubbished by someone myself on here for stopping behind cars at an intersection as I ran the risk of being ramed from behind and I said the same as you in that do they pull off to the side of the road untill all the traffic has passed before entering the intersection. Its time for anyone on here that paranoid to give up riding as despite what the riding schools have them believe motorcycle riding will never be as safe as driving a car and driving a car will never be as safe as a big 4WD in a lot of crashes for that matter too.

If you pull up behind a car you are still at risk from being rammed from behind.

Do the riding schools really teach riders that motorcycling is as safe as driving a car?

onearmedbandit
28th December 2017, 13:05
despite what the riding schools have them believe motorcycle riding will never be as safe as driving a car

This. This right here. This type of twisting of what has been said is why so many people here refer to you as a fuckwit.

jasonu
28th December 2017, 13:08
I was rubbished by someone .

Quite right too.

caspernz
28th December 2017, 13:27
I was rubbished by someone myself on here for stopping behind cars at an intersection as I ran the risk of being ramed from behind and I said the same as you in that do they pull off to the side of the road untill all the traffic has passed before entering the intersection. Its time for anyone on here that paranoid to give up riding as despite what the riding schools have them believe motorcycle riding will never be as safe as driving a car and driving a car will never be as safe as a big 4WD in a lot of crashes for that matter too.

You're twisting stuff again. At no point has anyone, either someone who has been to a riding school or associated with one, ever suggested that riding a bike is as safe as driving a car. All we can aim for is to minimize the risk, by educating riders. It's lovely how you wish to contribute to the debate, but it just leads to more threads being consigned to pink hell. You have that effect on folks :rolleyes::rolleyes:

If you pull up behind a car you are still at risk from being rammed from behind.

Do the riding schools really teach riders that motorcycling is as safe as driving a car?

The work of fiction that teaches riding a bike is as safe as driving a car, is yet to be written. But no doubt cassina has already read it...:clap::clap:

This. This right here. This type of twisting of what has been said is why so many people here refer to you as a fuckwit.

Trolls tend to follow that approach though...:Oi::devil2:

pritch
28th December 2017, 14:11

Cassina would have no idea what happens at any form of motorcycle training, she doesn't believe in it.

Murray
28th December 2017, 14:59
despite what the riding schools have them believe motorcycle riding will never be as safe as driving a car

Please provide who has said this, where you have read or heard it or even a link showing it has been stated somewhere?

nzspokes
28th December 2017, 16:17
I was rubbished by someone myself on here for stopping behind cars at an intersection as I ran the risk of being ramed from behind and I said the same as you in that do they pull off to the side of the road untill all the traffic has passed before entering the intersection. Its time for anyone on here that paranoid to give up riding as despite what the riding schools have them believe motorcycle riding will never be as safe as driving a car and driving a car will never be as safe as a big 4WD in a lot of crashes for that matter too.You are a fuckwit

Sent from my M5 Note using Tapatalk

T.W.R
28th December 2017, 16:40

Yep, even after seeing it a few times, the finesse required to quickly take off in a straight line would be absent due to the urgency of the situation...:mad:

After watching it multiple times now there's a few amusing aspects to it.
The black thing actually starts moving into the intersection from a wee way back and quite possibly the view of the white one would have been obstructed by the power pole
He's just fuckin lucky that the black thing kept moving and took the brunt of the impact, if it'd stopped and the white one had swerved on the same direction of travel he'd having taken the full brunt of the hit, likely result two fatalities.
The rider would have been fixated on what was unfolding in front of him, probably frozen with disbelief
Funny how the passenger in the sidecar had enough time to brace themselves against the headstock of the bike and then was more worried about their gloves than the rider.
Poor old Ural too

Woodman
28th December 2017, 17:08
Have you never read all the posts on here then that have said its my refusal to go to riding school is the reason why I am unable to swerve/brake etc to avoid muppets that screw up? I hope the video that has been posted here demonstrates that going to riding school has its limits. Shit happened to me just as fast as what its done to the rider in the video. I was lucky to not be on my bike when I was in my worst crash and going to riding would not have helped.

You may have learned to brake a lot harder/more effectively that what your experience has taught you.

Everyone on here knows that riding school has its limits. You are the only one who keeps shoving it down our throats like a stuck record.

How many "unlucky" crashes have you had?

onearmedbandit
28th December 2017, 23:39
No its you lot that shove riding school down my throat and blame the fact I have never been on the crashes I have had. An unlucky crash would be one where you would die so see if you can work the number out from this reply?

Once again you twist things to suit your agenda. You do realise everyone can see that right?

Oakie
29th December 2017, 07:30
Anyone who thinks its no fault is deluded as we would be paying the same as other vehicles otherwise. With most motorcyles carrying only 1 person but cars carrying up to six or more six people would cost more to fix. With far more motorcylists dying on impact than car drivers that should keep ACC costs down too.

It is a 'no fault' system though. 'No fault' is specified in the legislation. Its what allows us to do stupid stupid shit to ourselves and still be covered. Of course that also means no blame attributable to the other party (in respect of ACC levies anyway) so the levies are always going to reflect just the costs of patching the individuals regardless of who was to blame.

The 'no fault' part was part of the quid pro quo which means you can't sue people for personal injury like you can in the USA.

Moi
29th December 2017, 07:49
It is a 'no fault' system though. 'No fault' is specified in the legislation. Its what allows us to do stupid stupid shit to ourselves and still be covered. Of course that also means no blame attributable to the other party (in respect of ACC levies anyway) so the levies are always going to reflect just the costs of patching the individuals regardless of who was to blame.

The 'no fault' part was part of the quid pro quo which means you can't sue people for personal injury like you can in the USA.

What you have written could be repeated to "they" on a daily basis and I am sure they would still not understand the concept of "no fault" that ACC operates under.

I'm of the opinion that any and all posts by "they" should carry a government warning - Following this Advice could be Injurious to your health