PDA

View Full Version : kaikoura coast road, heard eff all since it's been open

jellywrestler
30th December 2017, 06:45
as the title said, haven't heard much at all, like how long it takes, speed limits, many cops etc etc

babysteps
30th December 2017, 09:20
Went up there on the 27th. My opinion might be a bit clouded as It was pissing down from the Hunderlees north.

Gravel all over the apexes in corners on the Hunderlees, One stop/go between Oaro and the Tunnels. I didn't see a single cop after Cheviot.

In my opinion that road is nowhere near fixed, it's patched at best and you'd be lucky to get over 80kmph with the traffic on the road.

HenryDorsetCase
30th December 2017, 11:16
I was going to go for a look one day next week - thanks ms babysteps

Kickaha
30th December 2017, 13:17
as the title said, haven't heard much at all, like how long it takes, speed limits, many cops etc etc

4 1/2 hours Picton to Rangiora on the way back from Wangas, Generally ok condition, about 5-6 stop/go areas or reduced speed, saw 2 cops before Kaikoura none after it

Couple of big realignments which are a massive improvement but there's other places they could have done more to make it even better

In my opinion that road is nowhere near fixed, it's patched at best and you'd be lucky to get over 80kmph with the traffic on the road.

It wasn't ever going to be fixed that fast, they said that it was temporary and there will be more road closures after Christmas/New year to let them get on with it

JATZ
30th December 2017, 16:05
Went up there on the 27th. My opinion might be a bit clouded as It was pissing down from the Hunderlees north.

Gravel all over the apexes in corners on the Hunderlees, One stop/go between Oaro and the Tunnels. I didn't see a single cop after Cheviot.

You should've been there the day before then....

I thought it was in reasonable nick, a little bit of grit in places and only had to stop twice.

FWIW Mr babysteps it was showery/rainy south of the hundalees too, and chuckin it down past Springfield. We had to stop at Arthur's cause the gate wench was getting hypothermia

rastuscat
30th December 2017, 17:54
As a rule if you don't ride like a Dick the number of cops you see is irrelevant.

HenryDorsetCase
30th December 2017, 18:03
As a rule if you don't ride like a Dick the number of cops you see is irrelevant.

Aw dude, really? Because I dont care how middle aged, middle class and white I am, everybody gets the sphincter pucker when followed by the filth or seeing one parked up sleeping. Everybody.

caspernz
30th December 2017, 18:32

You're supposed to call it rule #4 aren't you? :laugh::laugh:

Aw dude, really? Because I dont care how middle aged, middle class and white I am, everybody gets the sphincter pucker when followed by the filth or seeing one parked up sleeping. Everybody.

Maybe I'm too grown up now, but my way of riding (or driving for that matter) doesn't attract attention from LEOs. So why should I be bothered when one is cruising in my vicinity? :innocent::laugh:

awayatc
30th December 2017, 18:57

so if you go a few clicks over the tax free bracket you are riding like a dick....?

plus a multitude of various " things" one can get harassed for without riding/ driving like a dick ...

never a good thing to see a cop.....

rastuscat
30th December 2017, 19:17
so if you go a few clicks over the tax free bracket you are riding like a dick....?

plus a multitude of various " things" one can get harassed for without riding/ driving like a dick ...

never a good thing to see a cop.....Never a good thing to see a cop..........until you have a grievance you want to whinge about.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

F5 Dave
30th December 2017, 19:55
And then they won't show up for hours. Then the person in charge goes on leave. It gets passed onto the next guy who is totally disinterested and you or let's say your mate who's actually caught the guy on the stolen bike or the bank lass who's got some leads on dodgy but identifiable credit card fraud, well hold on. Case gets passed onto someone else. Sound familiar?

Geez what a bunch of incompetent fuck ups. No wonder the dopeiest of crims can make a living out of it.
But they have resource to catch extra rate payers banging a well worn drum which hasn't lowered the road toll.

pete376403
30th December 2017, 22:48
And then they won't show up for hours. Then the person in charge goes on leave. It gets passed onto the next guy who is totally disinterested and you or let's say your mate who's actually caught the guy on the stolen bike or the bank lass who's got some leads on dodgy but identifiable credit card fraud, well hold on. Case gets passed onto someone else. Sound familiar?

Geez what a bunch of incompetent fuck ups. No wonder the dopeiest of crims can make a living out of it.
But they have resource to catch extra rate payers banging a well worn drum which hasn't lowered the road toll.

Exactly this. My wallet was stolen couple of weeks ago. Noticed it was missing about 6:50 pm. ANZ called me at 7:12 to notify me of suspicious transactions (F*cking paywave) and the card was stopped. $170 odd at Z High St Lower Hutt. Called into Z and they gave me details of the transactions but wouldn't let me see the security cam footage (its a "privacy issue"). Details were given to Lower Hutt police next day, including advice that the perps were on camera at Z. Thought they would be right on to it. Ha. it's gone nowhere. Chances are that by now the camera footage has been recorded over.

Secondary observation - staff at VTNZ can be less than helpful when trying to get a replacement drivers licence, but getting a birth certificate (the really important part of getting any official documentation) takes about 5 minutes on the phone, just need a credit card and names and dates you could get off any genealogy site.

gsxr
31st December 2017, 00:06
Exactly this. My wallet was stolen couple of weeks ago. Noticed it was missing about 6:50 pm. ANZ called me at 7:12 to notify me of suspicious transactions (F*cking paywave) and the card was stopped. $170 odd at Z High St Lower Hutt. Called into Z and they gave me details of the transactions but wouldn't let me see the security cam footage (its a "privacy issue"). Details were given to Lower Hutt police next day, including advice that the perps were on camera at Z. Thought they would be right on to it. Ha. it's gone nowhere. Chances are that by now the camera footage has been recorded over.

Secondary observation - staff at VTNZ can be less than helpful when trying to get a replacement drivers licence, but getting a birth certificate (the really important part of getting any official documentation) takes about 5 minutes on the phone, just need a credit card and names and dates you could get off any genealogy site.

Posts always go off track. Yes it is so easy to get a new birth certificate/ identity. Had the need to get a replacement drivers licence. Had my ORIGINAL A6 size birth certificate hand signed and dated but that was unacceptable. It had to be the new A4 size.
So provide a name and a cpuple of dates and Im then the proud owner of a brand new A4 birth certificate.The fact they had on record my drivers licence number which I quoted to them . My photograph the phuckers had previously taken meant nothing to them. But a brand new A4 birth certificate and a new photo they took of me and I was all good to go.Does make one wonder how many licences one can aquire easily.

RDJ
31st December 2017, 02:01
You're supposed to call it rule #4 aren't you? :laugh::laugh:

Maybe I'm too grown up now, but my way of riding (or driving for that matter) doesn't attract attention from LEOs. So why should I be bothered when one is cruising in my vicinity? :innocent::laugh:

If overseas jurisdictions are any guide, and there's probably good although not total overlap, every citizen breaks 2 to 3 laws every day. You never know when the police are going to decide to enforce one or more of them on you. Or someone close enough physically to you, to cause you grief or kill you.

For example, someone speeding past a police car provokes a U-turn in the path of an innocent rider.

Then there is what they do on and off duty. Chief inspectors caught for speeding and drink driving but walking away, because, solidarity, no 4kmh/hr rule applied. Rank-and-file-police-caused MVAs. Or a policeman saws off a .22 and decides to kill the woman you have befriended and you, because he can.

To the government, ultimately, no lives really matter. As long as they can tax you during and after. For a certain percentage of government enforcers, it's a feature not a bug. Which percentage the one you're encountering belongs to, you can't know.

It's just sensible situational awareness.

jasonu
31st December 2017, 03:46

Is doing 104kmh considered being a dick?

Akzle
31st December 2017, 07:30

i get a chubby

caspernz
31st December 2017, 08:55
If overseas jurisdictions are any guide, and there's probably good although not total overlap, every citizen breaks 2 to 3 laws every day. You never know when the police are going to decide to enforce one or more of them on you. Or someone close enough physically to you, to cause you grief or kill you.

It's just sensible situational awareness.

No argument from me. I find it funny how many folks won’t overtake a cruiser doing 10 under the limit on the motorway. Makes me wonder how situationally aware they are. No license? No rego? No WOF?

awayatc
31st December 2017, 09:16
Never a good thing to see a cop..........until you have a grievance you want to whinge about.

Has never happened yet....

Never ever have the boys in blue been of any help to me

SVboy
31st December 2017, 10:26
Epic thread drift team! It's the KB way! Think I will avoid kaikoura for at least another year until the road is properly finished. The new Arthur's pass complex on the East to West track however is almost done and looking good.

HenryDorsetCase
31st December 2017, 10:42
https://www.stuff.co.nz/the-press/news/100264131/hefty-driving-complaint-numbers-have-canterbury-police-urging-drivers-to-chill

pritch
31st December 2017, 11:04
Is doing 104kmh considered being a dick?

No. Although doing 105kph is.

jasonu
31st December 2017, 15:37

Trumps fault........:mad::mad::mad:

Happy new year mate.

caspernz
31st December 2017, 16:28

And here I was thinking it only counts if you actually get caught...:innocent:

rastuscat
31st December 2017, 18:22
Has never happened yet....

Never ever have the boys in blue been of any help to meThat's how to get the best service from the police. Live your life in a way that never needs them.

eldog
31st December 2017, 18:28
That's how to get the best service from the police. Live your life in a way that never needs them.

Or provide them a service they need.

husaberg
31st December 2017, 18:49
Or provide them a service they need.
Donuts and KY jelly, or batons and kevlar underpants?

F5 Dave
31st December 2017, 20:45
That's how to get the best service from the police. Live your life in a way that never needs them.

So somehow avoid the criminal elements that prey on the law abiding public? How do you propose that? Join a big enough gang that the crims avoid? Maybe the Blue gang?

My record is as long as my fingernail. But I've lost all respect of NZ police farce. I pay their wages. But I used to be a fan. The more I know the less I am. Fucking incompetent. The system is broken.

R650R
31st December 2017, 20:50

Must be no bad driving or crime in HB, they have time to stop and take selfies of their cars.... https://www.facebook.com/EasternDistrictPoliceNZ/posts/1491342740921236

I understand the public relations exercise and connecting with community and target audience etc. But.............

RDJ
31st December 2017, 23:40

Oh, so live your life in a way that never needs them. Okay then, why am I paying for them?

If it's all about the service, then the only two times I've ever asked for help - a child assaulted in public, and a burglary where I tracked down the burglar myself - then the resounding lack of service combined with your advice, seems to imply we should do the jobs the police don't want to. I doubt that was the intent of your happy little quip.

Akzle
31st December 2017, 23:58
url]

I understand the public relations exercise and connecting with community and target audience etc. But.............

<_< geddit... TARGET audience...

OddDuck
1st January 2018, 08:46

Yeah, you might have missed the point of what Awayatc was posting. Normally I've got a lot of respect for what you say Rastus but this glib little line had me saying "are you fucking kidding me"

Let's clarify: he needed police help, the police were useless, when he went out of his way to help the cops they left him hanging in a situation where the gangs were interested in him.

It must've been completely shit.

Look mate, New Zealand has an increasingly serious set of problems with its own police force. Everyone who isn't a cop knows it, everyone on the other side of the blue line just keeps on trotting out the same tired old "we know best" responses when any attempt at a dialogue is started. It is frustrating, to say the least.

It is well and truly time for a discussion in which the police listen to what Joe Public has to say. We used to have a great working relationship between cops and public. It could be that way again. I really can't see that happening while things are done the way they're done now, though.

rastuscat
1st January 2018, 08:56
Yeah, you might have missed the point of what Awayatc was posting. Normally I've got a lot of respect for what you say Rastus but this glib little line had me saying "are you fucking kidding me"

Let's clarify: he needed police help, the police were useless, when he went out of his way to help the cops they left him hanging in a situation where the gangs were interested in him.

It must've been completely shit.

Look mate, New Zealand has an increasingly serious set of problems with its own police force. Everyone who isn't a cop knows it, everyone on the other side of the blue line just keeps on trotting out the same tired old "we know best" responses when any attempt at a dialogue is started. It is frustrating, to say the least.

It is well and truly time for a discussion in which the police listen to what Joe Public has to say. We used to have a great working relationship between cops and public. It could be that way again. I really can't see that happening while things are done the way they're done now, though.I entirely agree. I left due to frustration. I've had time to look at it from the outside, and I still think the problems are significant.

But I also think people who expect the police to solve their problems probably had a chance to solve that problem before it became a problem.

Of course, some problems are totally unpreventable.

I'm more interested in preventing problems than solving them. Or expecting society in one form or another to solve them for me.

It's been a common theme for me for some years. If you expect too much of a government agency, that's where disappointment comes from.

Graystone
1st January 2018, 09:41
I entirely agree. I left due to frustration. I've had time to look at it from the outside, and I still think the problems are significant.

But I also think people who expect the police to solve their problems probably had a chance to solve that problem before it became a problem.

I'm more interested in preventing problems than solving them. Or expecting society in one form or another to solve them for me.

It's been a common theme for me for some years. If you expect too much of a government agency, that's where disappointment comes from.

Here's a thought, instead of the road tax, cops should go out and prevent crime...

rastuscat
1st January 2018, 09:50
Here's a thought, instead of the road tax, cops should go out and prevent crime...Seatbelt tickets are proven to encourage seatbelt wearing.

Which is proven to reduce injuries.

Is seatbelt enforcement collecting road tax?

Given that Police get 21% of their funding from the Land Transport Fund for the purpose of road enforcement, it would be fraud for them to claim that 21% and not actually do the traffic enforcement.

awayatc
1st January 2018, 09:55
I entirely agree. I left due to frustration. I've had time to look at it from the outside, and I still think the problems are significant.

Problem is that they haven't got time/interest/competence to do their job anymore.....
To busy collecting revenue.

That was always part of their job, and accepted as such.
Police had Joe public's respect(including mine) ......
Respect is one thing you got to earn......hence they haven't got it anymore.

The 2 occasions where I expected the police to police appropriately they failed miserably.
One resulted in a police authority complaint ( causing serious grief for the officer involved)
The second one I solved myself as well.....

Can't see myself ever expecting the thin blue line to do anything helpful on my behalf.

Unfortunately my kids were privy to some of these blunders and have even less respect then me.
I lost mine....
They never had any to lose in the first place....

Graystone
1st January 2018, 10:08
Seatbelt tickets are proven to encourage seatbelt wearing.

Given that Police get 21% of their funding from the Land Transport Fund for the purpose of road enforcement, it would be fraud for them to claim that 21% and not actually do the traffic enforcement.

That's nice dear, but seatbelt wearing is a problem people (victims) had a chance to solve before it became a problem. How about stopping the criminals which the people (victims) do not have a chance to stop before they become a problem eh?

rastuscat
1st January 2018, 10:10
That's nice dear, but seatbelt wearing is a problem people (victims) had a chance to solve before it became a problem. How about stopping the criminals which the people (victims) do not have a chance to stop before they become a problem eh?And that's what the rest of the Police get funded to do.

Woodman
1st January 2018, 10:30
I went up to Kaikoura a year ago and through the Hunderless and was impressed with the repair job as far as Oaro. Sure it was gravely not extreme though. 2 reasons why I may have found it easier than some though is I was on an adventure bike and am not a Rossi wannabe.

Fuck off........

Graystone
1st January 2018, 10:58
And that's what the rest of the Police get funded to do.

So 79% of police work is spent solving problems the victims had no chance to solve themselves? Seems a bit contrary to your earlier post...

rastuscat
1st January 2018, 10:59
So 79% of police work is spent solving problems the victims had no chance to solve themselves? Seems a bit contrary to your earlier post...Solving, preventing, attending, recording, preparing for court. Amongst other things.

babysteps
1st January 2018, 12:22
Ummmm, this used to be a thread about the Kaikoura road, now it's a dick measuring contest.....

jellywrestler
1st January 2018, 12:38
Solving, preventing, attending, recording, preparing for court. Amongst other things.

you forgot donut munching

caspernz
1st January 2018, 12:55
Ummmm, this used to be a thread about the Kaikoura road, now it's a dick measuring contest.....

Give it another 27 pages and it'll be back on track...

jasonu
1st January 2018, 13:10

Writing tickets for 105kph on a clear day is total revenue gathering and does fuck all to prevent anything except to make more people think all cops are cunts.

rastuscat
1st January 2018, 14:00
Writing tickets for 105kph on a clear day is total revenue gathering and does fuck all to prevent anything except to make more people think all cops are cunts.Thanks for sharing your valued opinion.

rastuscat
1st January 2018, 14:00
you forgot donut munchingThat's one thing I'll never forget.

pritch
1st January 2018, 14:51
A cop of my acquaintance from way down south (and it wasn't SD) wrote a letter to the Police house mag protesting what we call revenue raising. He made the point that country cops rely on the support of members of their community, but he felt that the Police were losing that support because of the road policing policy.

A lot of cops from around the country contacted him saying stuff like, "On ya, needed to be said'. If some of them had said it too it is just possible somebody may have taken notice, but as it was he was just a voice in the wilderness and nothing changed.

Akzle
1st January 2018, 15:17
really? i've been offered a lot of notices to that effect, and continue to not give a fuck about it.
maybe i'm just speshil.

extrapolating that, surely "speeding tickets would be proven to encourage not-speeding"?
yet i'll warrant that the number issued hasn't decreased, in, like, ever.

yeah that. I don't know how the plebians don't grasp this yet. :niceone:

I went up to Kaikoura a year ago and through the Hunderless and was impressed with the repair job as far as Oaro. Sure it was gravely not extreme though. 2 reasons why I may have found it easier than some though is I was on an adventure bike and am not a Rossi wannabe.

you are, however, a fuckwit.

ellipsis
1st January 2018, 16:48
...happy new year...

...I might jump on the sporty and go and have a look for myself...the Kaikoura road, that is...I don't give a fuck if it has loose stuff on it or tax collectors...it's all just the same shit everywhere ...a very sick bunch of cunts in control is the problem...

...money seems to be the foremost driver of the malaise...the wish for power is up there, as is a grossly inefficient and self sucking bureaucracy that thrives on weak people listening to their fucked up directives...this is not just a cop thing...they all lick from the same trough though and act together when it suits them...the cops do seem to be a law unto themselves though...

...thank fuck for free speech and democracy<_<...

...we can't bring back the, 'good old days' values though, it would be against the law...I find it quite a debilitating thing, to be not really allowed to protect my family or property because that is the sole domain of a bunch of boys in blue, even if they, didn't, couldn't, or wouldn't be there anyway...bollocks to that wank...anyone who believes the fairy tales is either thick or lazy in their thinking, or scared, but there seems to be a prevalence of those kind...

...and long may you prosper...I'm glad I could get this thread back on track...:motu:

Kickaha
1st January 2018, 18:10
Here's a thought, instead of the road tax, cops should go out and prevent crime...
How do you know they don't? Are you privy to everything they do every hour of the day?

Writing tickets for 105kph on a clear day is total revenue gathering and does fuck all to prevent anything except to make more people think all cops are cunts.

Doesn't make me think it, but then I find it very easy to avoid

F5 Dave
1st January 2018, 18:25
Well I'd be happy to bet the average speed has come down despite vehicles, if not their operators becoming more competent. I rarely get passed these days on normal roads and I spend a fuck load more time looking at the speedo (things I'd not be preaching when I was involved in rider training in favour of paying attention) and I'm scared to go much over 104 as are many people
Thank christ for that. 20 years of speed is the Devil fortunately the road toll has plumetted.
Well it must have else they wouldn't be banging the same drum.

F5 Dave
1st January 2018, 18:29
And sorry is there a poll or an app for the dick measuring? Although I'd like to see the results before I post (+1" over average).

And Cassina, yes it's true. You are a fuckwit. Everyone agrees. It's overwhelming.

jasonu
1st January 2018, 18:51
Thanks for sharing your valued opinion.

38 seconds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tm7wQ_J6XzA

Akzle
1st January 2018, 20:51
If you are in a car there is a device you can get called a "heads up display" that projects your speed onto the windscreen so you never have to look down at the speedo again. The police would never promote those however as they would get a drop in revenue. Maybe someone will invent a speed projector that goes onto the visor of helmets one day.

already been invented. you're a fuckwit.

T.W.R
1st January 2018, 21:05

It's HUD is closer to this

https://2static3.fjcdn.com/comments/Blank+_f553255da7af76d76eacc7f0d858fb2b.png

pritch
1st January 2018, 21:19

Yep , even been reported on KB. Mind you, she who must not be named will be along shortly to tell us that she read somewhere that it wasn’t.

caspernz
1st January 2018, 23:06
If you are in a car there is a device you can get called a "heads up display" that projects your speed onto the windscreen so you never have to look down at the speedo again. The police would never promote those however as they would get a drop in revenue. Maybe someone will invent a speed projector that goes onto the visor of helmets one day.

Meh, we've got a GPS HUD display gadget in our car. Not only gives an accurate speed but in heads-up-display form. The same type of gadget has already been touted for helmets...:innocent:

Racing Dave
3rd January 2018, 15:08

My car (Mazda 6) comes with a HUD as standard fitment. It not only shows your actual speed, but (and I'm blowed if I know how it does it) the speed limit as read on speed limit signs. It's not a GPS thing, as even temporary road works limits are read. It doesn't recognise 'open road' signs (black circle on a white background with a diagonal black stripe) though, so (brace yourselves!) you have to actually pay attention to signage and decide for yourself what speed to travel at.

From someone who mostly mocks technology for its own sake (and in particular the various 'riding modes' that modern bikes have particularly wind me up - if it's raining, open the throttle more slowly and less!) I find this feature pretty interesting.

Akzle
3rd January 2018, 16:04
It's HUD is closer to this
IMG]

ah yes, the "Head-Up-Derríère"

well observed, man.

R650R
3rd January 2018, 16:36

Have written about this before, speed enforcement (except for speed cameras) is not a profit making enterprise if you do the maths.

Does anyone know any normal people who have been ticketed for 105 by an officer ???? I think this is reserved for people that fail the attitude test or have been seen doing much worse on road but that's all the cops could nail them for.
Kinda same as dropping a bag of drugs from the evidence room into a suspects car in a roundabout way. You know they are guilty of worse but pull em in on minor stuff and dig about....
BTW anyone watch that aussie cop drama on one last night, awesome show...

Akzle
3rd January 2018, 17:01
Have written about this before, speed enforcement (except for speed cameras) is not a profit making enterprise if you do the maths.

Does anyone know any normal people who have been ticketed for 105 by an officer ???? I think this is reserved for people that fail the attitude test or have been seen doing much worse on road but that's all the cops could nail them for.
Kinda same as dropping a bag of drugs from the evidence room into a suspects car in a roundabout way. You know they are guilty of worse but pull em in on minor stuff and dig about....
BTW anyone watch that aussie cop drama on one last night, awesome show...

not "profit making" but "budget-justifying" which i'm pretty sure rastus covered not so long ago.

"atitude test" is not legislated. the sole porpoise of the enforcement officers, is enforcing legislation, no more no less.
mother theresa shouldn't get off 101 any more than fucken adolf.

caspernz
3rd January 2018, 17:46
mother theresa shouldn't get off 101 any more than fucken adolf.

And yet in the real world, your attitude maketh the difference...:innocent::shutup:

Akzle
3rd January 2018, 20:39
And yet in the real world, your attitude maketh the difference...:innocent::shutup:

thus showing the failings of the system.

"don't confuse my attitude with my personality, my personality is all me. my sttitude depends on you"

i firmly rebutt the presumption of authority.

which is also funny. cos most frontline staff of the crown would describe my atitude as "not good"... yet i remain free to roam the mean streets...

caspernz
3rd January 2018, 21:34

"don't confuse my attitude with my personality, my personality is all me. my sttitude depends on you"

which is also funny. cos most frontline staff of the crown would describe my atitude as "not good"... yet i remain free to roam the mean streets...

Oh I've got the same t-shirt. Never said it's right, but for the most part how one speaks to a LEO when pulled over, has a profound effect on the outcome. Not always...:shutup::innocent:

Akzle
4th January 2018, 01:37

Racing Dave
12th January 2018, 11:10
Yesterday we went from Chch to Clarence, to admire the road repairs, and found that traffic is mostly flowing smoothly. Although it rained from home to Kaikoura (and back again in the arvo), to my general astonishment, slower cars (and trucks) pulled over to let faster motorists through, no-one was madly driving (or riding) and it took just over 2 1/2 hours from Hornby to KK. Between Goose Bay and Peketa (south of KK) there was only one stoppage of less than five minutes, although quite a few places with 30 km/h limits.

Heading north, there are a great many changes of speed limit until the Clarence Bridge (100, 80, 50, 30) but again only one stoppage of less than a minute. The seals, 100s of them, are sunning themselves without a care around Ohau Point, where the biggest repairs are. The scale of the changes are staggering, with the most impressive being the new bridge at Iron Gate and the whole new section of road, now where the sea used to be, at Ohau Point itself. There's a new passing lane north of there.

There are still dozens of workers on site and still much to do, but the repair work done needs to be seen to be appreciated.

actungbaby
20th January 2018, 15:13

Guy on my facebook riding down soon i let you know . he going post me.
I be going through there on the 22 nd 23 feb.

actungbaby
20th January 2018, 15:21

Simple fix seperate the traffic and the poilce side again. i dont think it works.
With are road toll . we need to change something. we got dog handlers checking of wof . i seen it boody silly.

actungbaby
20th January 2018, 15:25
Yesterday we went from Chch to Clarence, to admire the road repairs, and found that traffic is mostly flowing smoothly. Although it rained from home to Kaikoura (and back again in the arvo), to my general astonishment, slower cars (and trucks) pulled over to let faster motorists through, no-one was madly driving (or riding) and it took just over 2 1/2 hours from Hornby to KK. Between Goose Bay and Peketa (south of KK) there was only one stoppage of less than five minutes, although quite a few places with 30 km/h limits.

Heading north, there are a great many changes of speed limit until the Clarence Bridge (100, 80, 50, 30) but again only one stoppage of less than a minute. The seals, 100s of them, are sunning themselves without a care around Ohau Point, where the biggest repairs are. The scale of the changes are staggering, with the most impressive being the new bridge at Iron Gate and the whole new section of road, now where the sea used to be, at Ohau Point itself. There's a new passing lane north of there.

There are still dozens of workers on site and still much to do, but the repair work done needs to be seen to be appreciated.

Nice work i might be able pass one car at that rate the Honda forza does do 100kph after all . i do my mm impression ;-) . seals might eat my bike or try mate with it . Headlines man beats of male seals gets arrested.blames Interweb forums for fake news.

Subike
20th January 2018, 16:04
Having ridden the re-opened road 4 times since its opening, I would say that is "just another NZ road".
Depending on your ability , attitude, the weather, what speed you dare or not dare to go, the ride will be what it is in the day.
If I choose to exceed the limit that is my choice, Call me what you choose, I dont rally give a fuck for you opinion,
The road is Good fun in my opinion. Last weekend I went south to Kaikora the via the inland Mt Lyford road to Waiau, 3 1/2 hrs Sweet comfy ride,
Following day I went from Waiau visa the Leader road to Parnassus then north to Blenheim, 4 hrs. Again a sweet ride.
Yes there was loose shingle on some corners, stop go signs, dickheads in tin tops, the usual tourist drivers.... just normal in my opinion.
Looking forward to riding it heaps more times,
Its far better that that pot hole riddled alternative, packed full of over sized trucks, dumb tin top drivers and tourist in snails....

MD
19th February 2018, 19:20
Drove up today. We had to kip at the Cheviot Hotel as they close the road near Clarence and also north of Cheviot at 8.30pm each night. Understandable when you see the need for Mr & Mrs Stop/Go every five minutes. By the way a great pub, excellent rooms and good food.

There was a heap of traffic today heading to Picton? WTF? Couldn't believe how many cars on a Monday outside of school holiday. Interesting seeing the new foreshore that has risen up to greet us. No doubt the local Iwi are laying claim to it as their new rock formations. One sandy beach has large boulders protruding up from underneath sort looks like an alien landscape. Quite the picture.

Did my first *555 near Clarence to report a dickhead who pulled out behind me and overtook 7 vehicles at once on double yellows. One vehicle was a long horsefloat truck, another a van towing a trailer. He had no room to squeeze back in if he had to and was heading at about 130kpm+ towards a crest he had no bloody idea what was coming at him. While I'm speaking to *555 giving description rego, directions she says, oh we are getting more calls coming in about that driver. So I give her clear location with heaps of time for a cop to head south from Blenheim or Seddon and nab him. As I'm talking to her dickhead pulls out again way ahead of me, as we crawled through a roadworks zone with cones everywhere, and overtakes another line of vehicles. But nope. Nothing happened.

Kickaha
20th February 2018, 17:45
Drove up today. We had to kip at the Cheviot Hotel as they close the road near Clarence and also north of Cheviot at 8.30pm each night. Understandable when you see the need for Mr & Mrs Stop/Go every five minutes. By the way a great pub, excellent rooms and good food..

It must have changed a bit, it used to be a dark stinking hole, of course that was prior to the "non smoking" law coming in and I haven't been there in 20 years, at one stage it was my "local"

MD
21st February 2018, 09:49
It must have changed a bit, it used to be a dark stinking hole, of course that was prior to the "non smoking" law coming in and I haven't been there in 20 years, at one stage it was my "local"
Same. For decades I went passed it thinking, just another run down dump of a country pub. But it surprised me. The meal was top stuff and the room shocked me - in a good way. Clean, fresh and well presented.

As a Kid my parents owned the Wolseley Hotel, Winchester. That's South Canterbury for most of you wondering. So I'm quite partial to country pubs. The Wolseley Owner has deliberately not changed anything to keep it original as possible. The building dates back to 1886 which is impressive.

MarkH
21st February 2018, 18:15
Winchester. That's South Canterbury for most of you wondering.

Anyone that has been to the Magpie Madness motorcycle rally would know where Winchester is - I've been to a couple of them, 2008 & 2016.

I was coming back from the Burt Munro rally on my DR650 on the 13th and went through Kaikoura, lots of 30kph and stop/go for roadworks. Probably quicker than alternative route, but not all that much fun. If you don't mind a longer trip I'd recomend going the other way. There were signs saying that the road was only open certain hours, 7am to 8pm I think it said.

Kickaha
21st February 2018, 18:44
Same. For decades I went passed it thinking, just another run down dump of a country pub.

I was born in Cheviot and lived the first couple of decades of my life there as well, it was a good place to grow up but the pub was as you describe :laugh:

actungbaby
27th February 2018, 22:18
Just got home saturday 1000 km mostly in 2 days
Left Christchurch late 2pm got into picton 9.30!ish .
Had go long way via lewis pass . Roads good . Few roadworks . Amazed how many one lane bridges . Between murchison . And blenhiem . Between dunedin chch lots service stations . So fueled up if scooter got down to half a tank . Was amazed small towns that had fuel .traffic was good . Got caught out with one truck sparying me a bit with light stones .
Oh my god got to say some moron in a truck put down trail of dissel . For a few kms . Was last leg home think was either levin or otaki .all in all great trip .i keep out peoples way . Got waves from fellow motorclist . Didint witness . Any crazy stuff .of course if been on my vfr . I had more power to enjoy . Only thing on low powered bike . Some of time . It felt like hour glass insteed of a stop watch . But i enjoyed the trip the people .riding the bike was wAy better than 6 hr bus trip down . Best part was fish n chips brought in brighton beach and enjoyed alot . Sea gulls got a few :-) . If u been trapped for years . Looking after family . This road trip changed me for the better . Came back missing my wife son . But in a good way .end this year all going back south its awesome .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk