PDA

View Full Version : HELP engine noise

fullhouse
31st December 2017, 13:14
Hi
I am new to biking and was wondering if anyone can help me :)
i have a 1990 suzuki gsf bandit 250cc
after a ride got back home and it just died was not starting had to wait for it to cool down then it started fine and running fine till it warmed up.
once it was warm the engine noise was different didn't sound right and a ticking metal type noise coming from the engine. also once it is warmed up it would slowly start dieing and when adding abit of revs it takes a second or two for it the rev up almost like its struggling to get the revs.
have added a video of it running with the sound

appreciate any help that is given 334361334362

Akzle
31st December 2017, 14:09
it's when they stop making noise that is the real worry.

i'm picking coil packs, and valve clearances, and timing advance mech and carb sync.

OddDuck
31st December 2017, 14:54
+1 to the above. I'd also add the cam chain tensioner to that list, also (long shot here) check your battery voltage and whether the charging system is still putting juice into the battery once the engine is running.

Be methodical, go through things step by step, everything you can write off as "not the problem" is progress.

Crasherfromwayback
31st December 2017, 14:55
Hi
I am new to biking and was wondering if anyone can help me :)
i have a 1990 suzuki gsf bandit 250cc
after a ride got back home and it just died was not starting had to wait for it to cool down then it started fine and running fine till it warmed up.
once it was warm the engine noise was different didn't sound right and a ticking metal type noise coming from the engine. also once it is warmed up it would slowly start dieing and when adding abit of revs it takes a second or two for it the rev up almost like its struggling to get the revs.
have added a video of it running with the sound

appreciate any help that is given 334361334362

The 4 cyl 250's are actually pricks of things, only the Honda's are ok. I'm thinking you'll need to do valve clearances.

Grumph
31st December 2017, 16:00
The 4 cyl 250's are actually pricks of things, only the Honda's are ok. I'm thinking you'll need to do valve clearances.

Correct in that most of them are pricks of things. The Suzuki is probably one of the worst. I'd ask first if it has oil in it - and if it overheated.
I've actually got a GSXR250 here at present which is afaik, identical to the bandit, and the cooling system is very poor. Getting all the air out of it is damm near impossible due to the way the water passages go in the barrel. And it needs draining to pull the cam cover too as the outlet pipes go through the cover...

Crasherfromwayback
31st December 2017, 17:05
Correct in that most of them are pricks of things. The Suzuki is probably one of the worst. I'd ask first if it has oil in it - and if it overheated.
I've actually got a GSXR250 here at present which is afaik, identical to the bandit, and the cooling system is very poor. Getting all the air out of it is damm near impossible due to the way the water passages go in the barrel. And it needs draining to pull the cam cover too as the outlet pipes go through the cover...

Yep. They're cunts of things.