PDA

View Full Version : Devil gets a leg over...again

Devil
11th October 2005, 11:50
Well I thought i'd make the official announcement, I've got a new baby :D

'05 Triumph Speed Four, with triumph body kit (Belly pan, radiator cowling and hugger - those last two are in transit at the moment), and I loves it!

Have test ridden a few bikes but I found out pretty quickly that this is the baby for me, it has everything I wanted in a bike. Sporty, yet comfortable. Plenty of guts without being overwhelming and handling... Yikes, it corners!

The runners up were (in approximate order, most favoured at top):
Suzuki SV1000 (naked)
Yamaha FZ6n
Honda Hornet CB900
Suzi SV1000S
Suzi SV650S
Honda VTR1000 Firestorm.

As you can see from the list, there are plenty more powerful bikes there, but none of them can compete with the triumph in pure enjoyment factor!

Heres a couple of quick photos, will post more when the rest of the kit arrives.

Thanks to Carl @ holeshot for helping me out in everyway possible to get my perfect bike! :D :D :D

DemonWolf
11th October 2005, 11:52
Very nice bike your've got there.... very tidy

skelstar
11th October 2005, 11:57
Interesting.
I was considering most of the bikes in that list also. Would be interested to hear what it is specifically about the Speed Four that makes it enjoyable...was the price a large factor in the decision?

Devil
11th October 2005, 12:03
All the bikes were within $2k of each other. I was looking to buy new because of the warranty.

You'd have to go and try the bikes just because everyone's different. What I like very much about the triumph is:

The noise: Easily the best sounding bike with stock exhaust in that list. Lovely howl when you get into the midrange (and thats a very neat midrange too!)

The riding position: Its sporty, but the bars are slightly higher than the sv s models and the firestorm, my back and neck wouldn't be able to survive on those bikes.

Comfy seat and it can handle a pillion easily. It came down to the SV1000 naked and the triumph and the latter being more comfortable for the missus, apart from all the other things I enjoy about it.

The handling suits me perfectly, fully adjustable shocks front and rear, and it just feels right.

Cibby
11th October 2005, 12:05
very sexy Devil... :devil2:

enjoy ya new baby....

skelstar
11th October 2005, 12:07
Cool. Ta for that.

Will you be doing some long miles and do you think the riding position would be an issue?

Im guessing that the SV650 (nkd) and Bandit650 (nkd) were a bit underpowered compared to this bike (about 23hp)?

Also, for conetxt reasons...what did you have before?
Sorry about the questions but I dont know who else has one :).

Devil
11th October 2005, 12:12
Cool. Ta for that.

Will you be doing some long miles and do you think the riding position would be an issue?

Im guessing that the SV650 (nkd) and Bandit650 (nkd) were a bit underpowered compared to this bike (about 23hp)?

Also, for conetxt reasons...what did you have before?
Sorry about the questions but I dont know who else has one :).
I'll be doing some long miles too, and the position is fine, especially at 100km/h which helps hold you up. Its definately not a head down arse up position. Its a nice compromise from a completely naked bike.

I dont like the bandits and wasn't too interested in the (lack of) power in the 650. 1200 was too heavy for what I wanted. The SV650S has a great engine, very linear, very manageable, would be an excellent step up from a small bike. However, I dont think the naked one would do well for me with a pillion on the bike + the lack of aerodynamics.

Previous bike was a Kawasaki ZR250 balius.

James Deuce
11th October 2005, 12:15
The Speed Four is definitely the pick of the bunch you listed, except for maybe the SV1000.

The suspension is superb and the range of adjustment available makes this a very adaptable machine.

Excellent choice, and I hope you have fun with it.

Have fun keeping it clean though :)

skelstar
11th October 2005, 12:16
I'll be doing some long miles too, and the position is fine, especially at 100km/h which helps hold you up. Its definately not a head down arse up position. Its a nice compromise from a completely naked bike.

I dont like the bandits and wasn't too interested in the (lack of) power in the 650. 1200 was too heavy for what I wanted. The SV650S has a great engine, very linear, very manageable, would be an excellent step up from a small bike. However, I dont think the naked one would do well for me with a pillion on the bike + the lack of aerodynamics.
Previous bike was a Kawasaki ZR250 balius.
Great. Thanks. I hope you enjoy it, and Im looking forward to the pics with the accessories fitted.:niceone:

Devil
11th October 2005, 13:02
The Speed Four is definitely the pick of the bunch you listed, except for maybe the SV1000.

The suspension is superb and the range of adjustment available makes this a very adaptable machine.

Excellent choice, and I hope you have fun with it.

Have fun keeping it clean though :)
Yers, it was quite clear that those two were the best bikes. The difference between pretty much comes down to personal preference and what you want in a bike. The low down stomp of the sv was great, as was the setting off of car alarms with the scorpion exhausts, but it lacks character which I find in the triumph. sv still a great bike though. Prefer the triumphs looks, especially with the kit, I just wish it would all hurry up and get here!

The SV had me grinning, but the triumph had me grinning more!

skelstar
11th October 2005, 13:16
Did you find it difficult going from a 250 (albiet a quick one im guessing) and trying to objectively assess the merits of bikes that are MUCH more powerful than your own? I imagine this maybe difficult...maybe just requires lots of test riding.

Devil
11th October 2005, 13:20
Did you find it difficult going from a 250 (albiet a quick one im guessing) and trying to objectively assess the merits of bikes that are MUCH more powerful than your own? I imagine this maybe difficult...maybe just requires lots of test riding.
You do need to test a few bikes and you pick up pretty quickly where each one stands. If you just went and tried one big new bike im sure you'd find it awesome compared to the smaller old one, but then that big bike might not be a patch on a similar style by a different brand. You HAVE to try as many as you can.

Power was interesting, out of all of those bikes I found the Hornet to have the most responsive "woah easy boy or i'll bite your head off" type power band. Then again it only had 300km on it at the time.

The Vtwins were VERY user friendly, the SV's have great engines, very linear power, easy to deal with when coming from a small capacity bike.

But as with everything motorcycle... common sense wins on the day!

skelstar
11th October 2005, 13:23
I found the Hornet to have the most responsive "woah easy boy or i'll bite your head off" type power band. Then again it only had 300km on it at the time.
Yeah, the Hornet was the top of my 'havent ridden it yet but like the looks' list but have been concerned about the power factor. It does sound dangerous :). Imagine trying to ride something like that through a rain drenched roundabout on a Monday morning? :mellow:

Zed
11th October 2005, 14:00
Well I thought i'd make the official announcement, I've got a new baby :D

'05 Triumph Speed Four, with triumph body kit (Belly pan, radiator cowling and hugger - those last two are in transit at the moment), and I loves it!Hey BIG congratulations Matt! Either you kept this fairly quiet or I've been really slacking in my KB thread reading??

Lovely looking bike, I'm sure that smile won't be wiped from your face for some time to come!

See you on the next ride when we can all admire it in the flesh. :niceone:

R6_kid
11th October 2005, 14:46
he kept it reeeeeeeeeeeeeal quiet! Shot Matt! Look forward to seeing you on a ride sometime :2thumbsup

Sooo does the mrs like it?

SuperDave
11th October 2005, 15:03
Very very nice :rockon:

SDU
11th October 2005, 15:20
Awesome bike you're a lucky boy :2thumbsup

2_SL0
11th October 2005, 20:49
Congrats dude, that is a very nice bi :ride: ke.

Keystone19
11th October 2005, 20:52
It's all you Matt...love it...

And boy, did you beat me to the new bike or what...

FROSTY
11th October 2005, 20:57
hey Devil--fantastic dude --Im reall happy for ya.
Ya do of course know it will have to make A TRIP TO BELMONT FOR A CLOSER EXAMINATION.

cowpoos
11th October 2005, 21:22
nice bike mate....speed carefully now.... :rockon:

Sniper
12th October 2005, 06:31
Nice choice mate.

Devil
12th October 2005, 07:37
hey Devil--fantastic dude --Im reall happy for ya.
Ya do of course know it will have to make A TRIP TO BELMONT FOR A CLOSER EXAMINATION.
Sure, when the rest of the kit turns up. Should be in the next week or two.
Its just about due for its first service already!

Thanks people, cant wait to get out on some rides when its run in.

I think the grin is getting bigger the more I ride the thing. Found myself U turning multiple times on the Albany - Riverhead road just because i'm having so much fun with the corners!

Krayy
12th October 2005, 12:09
Is that yours parked up on Nelson St next to SpankMes GB? If so, v.nice. Had to cross the St for a perv.

Devil
12th October 2005, 12:10
Is that yours parked up on Nelson St next to SpankMes GB? If so, v.nice. Had to cross the St for a perv.
Nah, thats not mine, but I have seen a standard one heading into town in the morning though.

Mine's hiding in an underground lair.

MissSniper
12th October 2005, 12:17
Nice bike, when I read the title though I was a bit shocked.

Sniper tried to get a leg over me once and now I can't get rid of him.

sels1
12th October 2005, 12:25
Congrats on the new bike bike - very nice

btw very funny Miss Sniper :msn-wink:

skelstar
12th October 2005, 12:33
Sniper tried to get a leg over me once and now I can't get rid of him.
Im sure you can get a cream for that sort of thing apparently.

Sniper
12th October 2005, 12:36
Go jump in a lake, both of you......

HenryDorsetCase
12th October 2005, 15:35
If and when I sell my SV650 (and my VF) those exact bikes are the ones I was going to look at. Ive only seen the speed 4 in yellow which isnt half as nice as the black. You didnt consider a Ducati M900 at all?, thats on my list as well.

SPman
12th October 2005, 15:52
Geez Matt, you were quick enough on the poor little Balius!
So, now you can give Dave a good run for his money down 22?
Congrats - good choice.

ratusratus
12th October 2005, 19:29
to the Triumph world .you will never look back and you meet the nicest people :headbang:

Devil
13th October 2005, 07:45
Heh, cheers. :D

No, I didnt consider the M900, not too keen on the looks. I was after a brand new bike, wasn't quite in my price range.

Devil
28th November 2005, 07:41
Well, its a been a little while, but I said I'd post more pics when it was all together!

Up to 4500km on the clock now. Still love it :D

Zed
28th November 2005, 11:20
Well, its a been a little while, but I said I'd post more pics when it was all together!

Up to 4500km on the clock now. Still love it :DSplendid. I think you've changed my attitude towards nakid bikes with your Trumpy Matt! Glad you're loving it! :2thumbsup

Macktheknife
28th November 2005, 14:49
Congrats on the new wheels mate, hope you enjoy every minute of it.

trumpy
28th November 2005, 16:46
Bike looks very cool. If I may ask, where did you get the belly pan and radiator fairings? They really finish the speed four off nicely.

jrandom
28th November 2005, 16:49

That really is a lovely, lovely looking bike. Superb choice.

It's even the proper colour.

Devil
28th November 2005, 17:24
Thanks people.

Trumpy, those are genuine Triumph accessories, there's a hugger in there too.
Not too friendly on the wallet, but I love the look with the extra's.

Priced up a Triumph carbon exhaust today (from the TT600 - there's no specific speed four one, but the TT600 has the same exhaust). $1200. Ouchies.

2much
28th November 2005, 17:52
Hey Devil, Mint ride there.

If you want my honest opinion, don't take that pipe out of the wrapper.... Take it back to the shop and get your money back.

I had the exact same pipe fitted to my Daytona (check out profile pic), they look mint and sound awesome but the build quality is shit... mine used to leak between the carbon and the end caps. Checked out the Daytona600 website and this is a common problem, one guy had it replaced 3 times before finally getting a different brand.
I've replaced mine with a micron (sorry, no pics yet), Only $800, a bit smaller but still looks the biz. Seems a little bit quieter and not quite as throaty but apparently they open up with time and it seems to be doing so. Will put the old one back on in a couple of months for comparison. And the quality is so much better!

Either way you go, good luck! These have to be the best sounding 600's out there.... enjoy!!!

2much
28th November 2005, 17:59
Opps, just read it again and realised you haven't brought the pipe yet..... Do go for an aftermarket can (micron or whatever) you'll be stoked with how good they sound.... I've had heaps of comments on mine.

Here's a better pic....

Devil
28th November 2005, 18:27
Cheers for that. I wasn't 100% on getting an exhaust to start with (it sounds gorgeous with the stock can) but I believe there were warranty issues with aftermarket cans, ie. If its not Triumph and it causes problems (however unlikely) you're not covered. Which is a bit different to the general Jap bike warranty which is a little more "anything goes".

Devil
28th November 2005, 18:30
Just from looking at your pic there, it looks like the They didnt change too much underneath when they went from TT600 --> Daytona 600. They (and the Speed Four) all seem to have the same frame/suspension. I'm guessing you've got the same engine (just different tuned).

I'll have to see if Micron do a zorst for the speed four, I know Two Brothers do...

2much
29th November 2005, 09:48
Never heard mine with a stock can, heard a 650 and sounded good but too quiet. It's a safety issue for me, if they don't see me maybe they'll hear me.

Shop didnt tell me bout the warrenty issue so not sure, but fair enough.... if anything happened they'ld probably try to blame the can.

Yeah, the frames do look the same, but from my understanding the Daytona was a whole new bike, different construction in the frame and more strengthening in areas etc. Suspension could be the same... not sure bout that.
Yeap, we've got the same engine, just different tune and mines a bit higher geared.

Two brothers are great pipes, just go for the best deal.

Is the Speed4 based on the TT or Daytona?

Devil
29th November 2005, 10:09
Yeah, the frames do look the same, but from my understanding the Daytona was a whole new bike, different construction in the frame and more strengthening in areas etc. Suspension could be the same... not sure bout that.
Yeap, we've got the same engine, just different tune and mines a bit higher geared.

Two brothers are great pipes, just go for the best deal.

Is the Speed4 based on the TT or Daytona?
Based on the TT. I was just noticing the frame, especially round the seat. Also the swingarm...must be subtle differences, the black hides everything heh.

I was however giving a new hayabusa a cuddle the other day (harr harr)...maybe for the next bike...