PDA

View Full Version : Neptune Exhausts

WRT
11th October 2005, 13:23
Hi guys, just looking for a bit of feedback here. Have had a bit of a browse through the old posts on this subject, but would just like to clarify a few things I couldnt find answers for.

Here's the situation, as you all know, I just recently purchased an 04 Aprilia RSVR from Mt Eden MC's. As part of the sale, Mike was going to get the mechanics to open up the standard exhausts a bit to give it more of a throaty sound (the sound is the only fault with the bike, its way too tame). However, this turned out to not be possible, so now to make it sound better I am faced with replacing the cans.

Mike's offered (as compensation for not being able to make the mod as originally agreed) to cut me a good deal on replacement cans through him. While it would be lovely to be able to slap on a set of Aprilia racing cans, the budget just aint gonna stand it at any time in the near future. Muzzy's are out - they dont make 'em for Aprilia's. Which leaves Neptunes.

Naturally at this point I'm a little skint, having just forked out for the bike. The Neptunes are coming in at about 60% of what I would need to pay for the Aprilia cans, so are the only ones I can afford any time soon. I have heard a bit of feed back on the neptunes that say they are reasonable quality, I think I saw a post from Big Dave saying he had some on his Triumph?

Anyway, just looking for anyones experiences with them (regardless of bike model). Things like:

- Finish quality
- Sound
- Power output
- Do you need to get the engine remapped

And anything else you can think off. Any comments as to what I should do here, bite the bullet and get the Neptunes, or save my pennys till I can afford the Aprilias. Gotta admit tho, spending a couple of grand on the Aprilia cans is gonna hurt me at any stage . . . thats a lot of coin to spend just to get the sound right.

I've emailed Neptune direct to see if I can get some pics sent through, but still want to get some independant feedback if I can.

Cheers guys . . . your input is (as ever) gratefully recieved.
- Walt

vifferman
11th October 2005, 13:26
One comment - carbon fibre cans of any brand tend to not last very long on big v-twins; the vibrations or sonic pulses or whatever give them a hard time, so if you can (excuse the unintentional pun), go for stainless, titanium, or whatever.

WRT
11th October 2005, 13:29
One comment - carbon fibre cans of any brand tend to not last very long on big v-twins; the vibrations or sonic pulses or whatever give them a hard time, so if you can (excuse the unintentional pun), go for stainless, titanium, or whatever.

Thanks for that Vifferman, had read something along those lines in the archives. As it happens, these would be brushed stainless finish, so should hold up ok. Dunno how it will look along side the nice shiny swingarm tho . . .

Sparky Bills
11th October 2005, 14:09
I had a Neptune on my old 250.
Plenty of sound, quality was great and fitted straight on.
Power output depends on the bike, but you should get more. As far as going onto an aprillia, Your gonna get heaps more sound! and i mean HEAPS!
The brushed look is really nice. It comes down to personal choice.

WRT
11th October 2005, 14:15
Thanks sparky, thats the sort of feedback I like to hear ;)

Definately need something doing about the sound, is just so quiet! Doesnt sound like a twin at all - was very disappointed about that, but I guess they have emission laws and what not to uphold.

I've also emailed them to see if they can supply some pics of what the cans will look like, will stick the pics in here if they do send some thru.

Anyone else had exeriences (good bad or otherwise) with neptunes?

Big Dave
11th October 2005, 14:21
Anyone else had exeriences (good bad or otherwise) with neptunes?

I only have good things to say about Mark. Good quality, made in Wellywood, attractive price and i had excellent after sales service.

And for a 4, my Trophy is also one of the best sounding bikes i've ever heard.

WRT
11th October 2005, 14:41
Thanks Big Dave. Did you notice any performance increase, and did you have to get the engine remapped? Just trying to weight up all the pros and cons, and make sure there's not going to be any hidden costs involved.

Big Dave
11th October 2005, 15:01
Thanks Big Dave. Did you notice any performance increase, and did you have to get the engine remapped? Just trying to weight up all the pros and cons, and make sure there's not going to be any hidden costs involved.

Yes, you will notice a performance increase - they can breathe! - but you will probably need retuning. Stick a K&N air filter in it too.

I did cams and hi comp pistons at the same time.

matthewt
11th October 2005, 15:16
My comments on Neptune previously : http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=1197 Post #3

Note: the photo links won't work coz I removed the files a while ago. If you look on the neptune gallery the first 2 MV F4 photo's are mine.

I'd have no problems recommending Mark/Neptune. If I don't sell the Brutale then I might consider getting him to put some F4 style pipes on it. I've seen it done in Europe and it looks very nice.

saul
11th October 2005, 15:33
I had Neps (brushed) on my TL1000s, great sound no problems with build quality, rode all weather no issues. :blip:

I was also running a k&N didn't have to adjust the TPS much at all, so no worries there. :2thumbsup

I would buy again

Regards

Saul

Slingshot
11th October 2005, 15:34
Does anyone have a link to the neptune site? I've just started looking around for a pipe for the R6.

Slingshot
11th October 2005, 15:40
Never mind, found it here http://www.neptunemufflers.co.nz/start.htm

WRT
11th October 2005, 15:40
Does anyone have a link to the neptune site? I've just started looking around for a pipe for the R6.

Neptune Mufflers (http://www.neptunemufflers.co.nz/start.htm)

WRT
11th October 2005, 15:45
So the general consensus would be that they look good, they sound good, and I'd be well advised to put in a K&N at the same time?

Would love to be able to do some work on the internals like BD, but thats definately outside the budget . . .

James Deuce
11th October 2005, 16:28
Neptune products rock, and Mark has a fantastic attitude. Excellent customer service without being fawning or compromising his professional integrity.

soundbeltfarm
11th October 2005, 19:05
mark is a top bloke.
he does want you want not what he thinks will be good.
he turned my pipe up a bit from standard and it looks the shizz,
he has a couple of different baffles you can choose and the work is top notch.
i got the brushed can and it looks sweet.
nothing to much trouble for him.

LB
12th October 2005, 18:08
I got my first Neptune built for my R1150R about 3 years ago. It was the first pipe Mark had ever done for a BMW. I was rapt. (for some reason not many people put aftermarket pipes on their BMW's - BM owners generally tend to be fairly "staid" people.)

I currently have Neptunes on both my Ducatis, and Hamish has one on his Suzuki GS1200SS.

Once the Neptunes were fitted, I had my bikes dynoed and the HP figures went like this:

M800: increased from 73 to 84
M1000: increased from 85 to 94

Main reason for the big increase in HP is that the standard mufflers have catalytic converters, and the Neptunes let the bikes breath freely.

Basically the engine management system did whatever it needed to do to change the air/fuel mixture.

I like the way you can choose the finish of the mufflers. I chose shiny black and a double outlet for my BMW. Both my Ducatis have brushed stainless with single outlet. Hamish's Suzuki has shiny black with single outlet.

Noise: wonderful. Absolutely wonderful.

Mark could have made high pipes for my Ducs, but I chose the standard style as that lets me carry my throwovers on both my bikes.

Like everyone else has said, Mark is a top bloke and does a great job. I would have him make mufflers for my next bike like a shot - in fact I would not even think of having any other sort of muffler.

Note that Mark makes mufflers for Bruce Telford, who races an RSVR. He has made pipes for at least two of Bruce's racing Aprilias, if not three. So he is very experienced with Aprilia mufflers!!

Feel free to pm me with your email address if you'd like me to send you a photo - I'm not technological enough to put a photo on the website!!

dangerous
12th October 2005, 18:40
well................ I'm waiting for a set to turn up in the post for the Guzzi, when they arive ill let ya all know my thoughts.

Previous experance is with SuzyQ's ovel with twin outlets on her GSX750F... looks great sounds awesome.... for a muiltie :spudwave:

30UTD had a set on his Busa... looked great in black sound was quitish tho and I dident like how the end pipes bent out sidways... other wise bloody good quality be them a bit heavy (Bussa neps waighed the same as OEM cans)

WRT: the aparila cans come with a eprom chip same as the Guzzi pipes, I dont think with the neptunes that remapping will be nessary, the iti's just like doing that bit more.

WRT
13th October 2005, 15:07
First of all, thanks everyone for your feed back, sounds like you all have nothing but good things to say about Mike and his products (great to hear). However, there have now been some more developments . . .

Ok, so here's the thing. Apparently, Neptune need the original mufflers for 10 to 14 days in order to make up the new cans. This changes things somewhat, as I'm not overly keen to be without the bike for that sort of duration (funny that). Mike reckons that he can order in (they're not currently in stock, but at least the bike wont be off the road while I wait) a set of Arrow Cans (http://www.arrow.it/eng/catalogo/linee.asp?idLinea=104) for similar money.

Anyone got an opinion/previous experience on them? Do you reckon I should bide my time and wait for the Neptunes (and be without the bike) or get the Arrows instead?

All other things being equal (as in, if they were the same price and there was no delay for either, and Kiwi pride wasnt on the line), which would you pick as being the best quality and performance?

Again, this is just from your own personal experiences on whatever bike, I realise the chances of me finding someone that has had both types of pipes on an 04 RSVR are slim to none, but your viewpoints are appreciated.

Thanks again guys!

dangerous
22nd October 2005, 06:14
well................ I'm waiting for a set to turn up in the post for the Guzzi, when they arive ill let ya all know my thoughts.

Sweet as.....already posted it here (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showpost.php?p=385872&postcount=42) great service like already said was kept up to date with were things were at and they fitted up bloody well look friging awesome and the sound is wicked..... only probs were getting the bloody stickers of the link pipes.

marty
22nd October 2005, 07:23
surely someone has an oem can lying about - can't be that hard. and if he's making them up for you, why not go for the polish instead of the brushing? agreed there are issues with being careful while manufacturing (brushing covers scratching etc) but surely. as ms blair said - he has heaps of experience with aprilias, so why would he need your can for 2 weeks? dimensions should be enough

marty
22nd October 2005, 07:27
have a chat to dangerous about his neptunes on his guzzi (see post # 42) >>>
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=17825

Zed
22nd October 2005, 07:44
Ok, so here's the thing. Apparently, Neptune need the original mufflers for 10 to 14 days in order to make up the new cans. This changes things somewhat, as I'm not overly keen to be without the bike for that sort of duration (funny that). Mike reckons that he can order in (they're not currently in stock, but at least the bike wont be off the road while I wait) a set of Arrow Cans (http://www.arrow.it/eng/catalogo/linee.asp?idLinea=104) for similar money.That's what discouraged me from getting a Neptune on my last bike WRT, but I can certainly understand why they want the original can/s to model off. However, if they've done an Aprilia like yours before then surely they have a model they can manufacture from without putting you through the grief of being bikeless for sooooo looooong?

Arrow cans, like the one in your link, look great and have a good reputation, but please go for the hise rise pipes so that *most gorgeous swingarm* can be admired by all! That's my most favourite swingarm of all bikes methinks. :love: