PDA

View Full Version : Ditching Sky TV. Your experiences / advice?

Oakie
20th January 2018, 19:45
As the title says, we're looking seriously at ditching Sky. $95 a month and we're not really using it heaps. Other domestic expenses have increased so we need to make some savings somewhere.

Any words of wisdom before we say goodbye to my friend of the last 20 years or so?

We are looking at getting a good Freeview box that will pretty much replace the MySky functionality.

Yes I like my sport channels but I won't die without them.

TheDemonLord
20th January 2018, 20:10
Laptop + Netflix = Goodbye Sky.

Seriously.

We ditched it 2-3 years ago as it was just too expensive - I recently stayed a week with the In-Laws (who have Sky - with all the bells and whistles) - Discover has turned to Shit, Nat Geo has turned to Shit, CI has turned to Shit, the History channel has turned to Shit.

I think during that entire time - there was 1 movie and one documentary that I actively wanted to watch.

AllanB
20th January 2018, 20:12
Refused to have SKY - fucktards.

Lightbox or Nexflix are good. Had Lightbox for some time now and enjoyed by all the family.

nzspokes
20th January 2018, 20:17
We dropped TV when it went digital. We never bothered.

AllanB
20th January 2018, 20:35
We dropped TV when it went digital. We never bothered.

But the quality of picture is soooooo much better :drool:

far queue
20th January 2018, 20:37
I phoned sky to disconnect 5 months ago, but as they're really keen not to loose more customers, they instead disconnected all the sky channels, leaving me to keep using the sky box to record all the freeview stuff at no charge. This was to remain in place for 6 months, when I could then return the sky box and complete the disconnection, or they would start charging me again on the assumption that I wanted to resume with them.

This week I got a bill from them for $33 for rental of the Sky box only, and still with no sky channels – this to be paid in Feb. Yesterday I went to Harvey Norman and got a Panasonic DVR (http://www.harveynorman.co.nz/tv-and-audio/blu-ray-and-home-theatre/dvd-and-blu-ray-players/panasonic-3d-blu-ray-player-500gb-hard-drive-recorder-en-2.html) – super easy to set up and use and has better features than the sky box. I’m now recording all new stuff on the new box and finishing up watching the remnants of the sky box, which I’ll return next week.

There’s plenty of stuff on freeview that I like, but I record everything, so I can fast forward the adverts etc. I can watch the 6 o’clock news in 20-30 mins depending on how much crap there is on it that I’m not interested in. Netflix etc don’t interest me.

Blackbird
20th January 2018, 21:08
Does your computer plan have a data cap? One of our kids ditched Sky and went down the Netflix and Lightbox route. He has no data cap but unfortunately where we live, we're on wireless with a cap. Wouldn't be able to watch much without hitting the limit.

BMWST?
20th January 2018, 21:09
depending where you live you dont need a freeview box at all/we get a good signal from Mt kaukau and with nothing moe than a cheap indoor uhf aerial we get a good picture.I am assuming you already have a freeview capable tv.As someone has already said you can buy a freeview box with dvr built in.our older freeview tv has a hard drive attached to it,can record straight off it,no programmeable record though.I only keep sky for the sport and the wife watches a few movies and we use the on demand sometimes.Bloody expensive for what it is though

pritch
20th January 2018, 21:26
I have a DVD recorder which I was unable to use because I didn't have an aerial. It is supposed to function as a Freeview box. Now I have a new aerial and it is 4K capable which is apparently a new thing coming that will catch some people out.

I don't know what I expected but the Freeview channels are disappointing. Netflix would make it better, but it's still lacking. Is it Spark gives you Lightbox free? My main sports interest is MotoGP and that could be had for about NZ$150 per year Netflix is $120 to 150 per year approx. All of which adds up to a fraction of the $1200 plus I pay for Sky.

If money gets tight changes will be made.

BMWST?
20th January 2018, 21:50
I have a DVD recorder which I was unable to use because I didn't have an aerial. It is supposed to function as a Freeview box. Now I have a new aerial and it is 4K capable which is apparently a new thing coming that will catch some people out.

I don't know what I expected but the Freeview channels are disappointing. Netflix would make it better, but it's still lacking. Is it Spark gives you Lightbox free? My main sports interest is MotoGP and that could be had for about NZ$150 per year Netflix is $120 to 150 per year approx. All of which adds up to a fraction of the $1200 plus I pay for Sky.

If money gets tight changes will be made.
if you can get freeview on a uhf aerial it is quite good definition.Not sure its 4k though.THe uhf is better than the satelite can get freeview recorders forr both formats

Woodman
20th January 2018, 22:07
Got rid of it early last year. Miss the rugby a lot and the odd movie.

Couldn't believe how bad the plebs channels got whilst I had sky, reality tv, talent quests, cooking competitions etc is fuckwit central. Don't watch tele much now.

EJK
20th January 2018, 22:37
I can't believe their business model.

You pay to watch. Not cheap either. Over $1000 a year for TV shows. Really???
You still have to watch adverts, which is about 50% of the time.

I used to pirate TV shows and movies but now I dedicatedly pay Netflix about $18 a month for unlimited 4K movies on demand to myself and 3 other family members.

Fuck Sky. Couldn't believe people investing in their shares, when it's gently coming down like a glider.

Does your computer plan have a data cap? One of our kids ditched Sky and went down the Netflix and Lightbox route. He has no data cap but unfortunately where we live, we're on wireless with a cap. Wouldn't be able to watch much without hitting the limit.

Also important. Reason why Netflix works in my household is because we all have unlimited super fast internet.

oldrider
21st January 2018, 00:08
Got rid of it early last year. Miss the rugby a lot and the odd movie.

Couldn't believe how bad the plebs channels got whilst I had sky, reality tv, talent quests, cooking competitions etc is fuckwit central. Don't watch tele much now.

Moved and downsized just over a year ago - don't have TV any more - actually enjoying life more without it - Sky seriously are difficult to get rid of! :bash:

Like you, major rugby and other sports fixtures cause a bit of a re think but remembering the difficulty parting with SKY quickly solves that! :no:

HenryDorsetCase
21st January 2018, 08:48
As the title says, we're looking seriously at ditching Sky. $95 a month and we're not really using it heaps. Other domestic expenses have increased so we need to make some savings somewhere.

Any words of wisdom before we say goodbye to my friend of the last 20 years or so?

We are looking at getting a good Freeview box that will pretty much replace the MySky functionality.

Yes I like my sport channels but I won't die without them.

Dude, you have the internet. You don't need a TV.

TV shows have never been better. But TV as a product has never been worse. The only sport I watch is motorcycle racing, with the occasional bit of car, monstertruck and NHRA drag racing. All of it is free if you know where to look.

HenryDorsetCase
21st January 2018, 08:51

good point. We are on a VDSL soon to be fibre connection and will have unlimited.

Oakie
21st January 2018, 09:08
Yesterday I went to Harvey Norman and got a Panasonic DVR.

Does your computer plan have a data cap? One of our kids ditched Sky and went down the Netflix and Lightbox route. He has no data cap but unfortunately where we live, we're on wireless with a cap. .

depending where you live you dont need a freeview box at all/we get a good signal from Mt kaukau and with nothing moe than a cheap indoor uhf aerial we get a good picture.I am assuming you already have a freeview capable tv.As someone has already said you can buy a freeview box with dvr built in.our older freeview tv has a hard drive attached to it,can record straight off it,no programmeable record though.I only keep sky for the sport and the wife watches a few movies and we use the on demand sometimes.Bloody expensive for what it is though

Our Samsung smart tv doesn't have Freeview so we need to buy a set top box. Don't seem to be a wide range though.
We're on a 120gb internets plan and we'd probably stay on that initially. Only another $10 to go to unlimited if we needed to.
Because the dish would stay, we'd just carry on using that rather than get an aerial. My sister did that with no problems.

Oakie
21st January 2018, 09:53
Any recommendations on a set top box? We'll get a decent one but they do seem to be pretty much of a muchness.

Graystone
21st January 2018, 09:53
Not being a sports fan I have saved heaps never needing it in the first place. Maybe people if they are finding it too expensive they look for other interests although many other interests are not cheap either.

Mate, if you think Sky TV is an expensive interest, perhaps you should try working...

Graystone
21st January 2018, 09:55
Any recommendations on a set top box? We'll get a decent one but they do seem to be pretty much of a muchness.

Sell the TV that needs it an just get one with it inbuilt, separate boxes end up being so much fucking around with more remotes and AV input channels and audio pass through...

nerrrd
21st January 2018, 10:03
Our Samsung smart tv doesn't have Freeview so we need to buy a set top box.

Are you sure? I’m pretty sure Freeview pre-dates smart tvs...although it’s probably only UHF built in (not satellite). Panasonic do smart TVs with both built in nowadays eg. http://www.harveynorman.co.nz/tv-and-audio/televisions/netflix-ready-tvs/panasonic-49-full-hd-smart-tv.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIp8a-ksLn2AIVDhSPCh3OqAMxEAAYAiAAEgLQO_D_BwE

Haven’t had sky for yonks but rugby (and cricket) lost their appeal to me due to complete oversaturation so meh. I did do the season pass on Fan Pass for formula 1 but then they canned after one year and then priced Fan Pass out of reach for anyone sane.

Netflix has good stuff on it but if you’re prone to bingeing you get through it pretty quickly. Freeview is mostly all fake “reality” series (apologies to the president Donald) but if you have a PVR you can pick out the good stuff and scrub out the ads - my Panasonic DVD recorder has done sterling service for the last decade or so doing just that for me. Having said that, you might as well go ‘on demand’ for those if you have good internet and forget broadcast tv altogether (still get ads but many,many fewer).

mashman
21st January 2018, 10:17

Say: Friend. Although you are moving on, I will keep in touch with your cousin at the local pub now that I have 95 bucks to go to the pub with.

RDJ
21st January 2018, 10:49
...reality tv, talent quests, cooking competitions etc is fuckwit central. Don't watch tele much now.

Wot 'e saith.

neels
21st January 2018, 10:52
We've got the predecessor to this.....

http://www.harveynorman.co.nz/tv-and-audio/freeview-and-digital-tv/digital-tv-receivers/panasonic-1tb-hard-drive-recorder.html

Can record 2 channels of shit while you watch a third channel of shit, twin tuner means it should take a sattelite feed if you can't be arsed sorting out an aerial.

We just got a new panasonic tv which has netflix and the tvnz and tv3 on demand apps built in, so you can dial up what you want to watch whenever it suits.

If I didn't like watching the sportsball and car racing I'd ditch sky completely, the rest of the content is mostly crap, and anything we want to watch we record so we can skip the endless ads for the crap on the other channels.

slofox
21st January 2018, 11:50
I often find myself disappointed by the movies I can not find available on Netflix. I hear about some movie I'd like to watch, go check on Netflix and get a list of movies "related" (Mum, Dad Cuzzie?) to what I am after. Which ain't what I want is it?

Sky is much cheaper if you get it via vodafone. Course you have to be able to tolerate dealing with Vodaphoney, who in my experience are a bunch of mother-fucking bastards. :finger:

Blackbird
21st January 2018, 12:10
Sky is much cheaper if you get it via vodafone. Course you have to be able to tolerate dealing with Vodaphoney, who in my experience are a bunch of mother-fucking bastards. :finger:

We're with Vodafone for reasons of history. Their service is mainly shit and on a recent trip to Kenya and Tanzania, their failure to deliver a promised service had the potential to cause a major issue. We've only stuck with them since then because they're down the priority list of things I prefer doing.

jasonu
21st January 2018, 14:07
Not being a sports fan I have saved heaps never needing it in the first place. Maybe people if they are finding it too expensive they look for other interests although many other interests are not cheap either.

How was your appointment with the vivisectionist?

Akzle
21st January 2018, 14:48

you're a fuckwit. go away and die.

Akzle
21st January 2018, 14:53
also tv is the jew indoctrination. and you can expand your consciousness by not alowing yourself to be dumbed down on that vibe.

Akzle
21st January 2018, 14:58
and a word from the boss

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tm9gSrOy0-4&itct=CBgQpDAYASITCI2g35iH6NgCFVKSfgodbxoBWVIZNTcgY 2hhbm5lbHMgYW5kIG5vdGhpbiBvbg%3D%3D&client=mv-google&gl=NZ&hl=en-GB

flashg
21st January 2018, 15:28
Any recommendations on a set top box? We'll get a decent one but they do seem to be pretty much of a muchness.We have a Panasonic, has its own hard drive for recording and plays DVD and BLUERAY disc's. Also other family members have ended up buying Panasonic, very easy to use and have a seperate Netflix button on them nowadays if needed.

Oakie
21st January 2018, 17:55
Are you sure? I’m pretty sure Freeview pre-dates smart tvs....

Turns out it does have Freeview. Still trying to find information on it but we'll probably still get a set top box so we can do all the clever stuff.

Oakie
21st January 2018, 17:56
Sell the TV that needs it an just get one with it inbuilt, separate boxes end up being so much fucking around with more remotes and AV input channels and audio pass through...

Not sure if the inbuilt ones have all the bells and whistles though

russd7
21st January 2018, 18:01
Our Samsung smart tv doesn't have Freeview so we need to buy a set top box. Don't seem to be a wide range though.
We're on a 120gb internets plan and we'd probably stay on that initially. Only another $10 to go to unlimited if we needed to.
Because the dish would stay, we'd just carry on using that rather than get an aerial. My sister did that with no problems.

smart TV without freeveiw ?? our samsung has it. i just recently got rid of the dish and went UHF, it is way better quality than dish and doesn't get the rain fade we used to get on dish.

as for sky, i dropped them back in 2002 and it took me 5 fucken years to get them to stop calling me, i get pissed off with the way they lock people out of things for example i cant get the super bikes live but can watch on demand which often works better anyway and the GP i get live and on demand, not tied in to sky programing,

russd7
21st January 2018, 18:05
Not sure if the inbuilt ones have all the bells and whistles though

our smart TV has inbuilt with all the bells an whistles as long as we plug a hard drive in. but it has inbuilt on demand etc, the only thing that pisses me off is it wont support the whatever the gp use to stream on so we still have to put that through another device which is either the wifes i pad via chromecast or my phone via mirroring, but i do watch quite a lot of the speedway gp on youtube and it is awesome

Oakie
10th February 2018, 14:11
Done. Picked up our Freeview box and installed it. Reviews of the box said it was hard to get set up but Mrs Oakie got it done all by herself in under 10 minutes. Still got Sky for another three weeks but when the fateful day rolls around we'll be set to go. Oh, and shhhh ... daughter #1 is going to give me her Sky Go password so I can still watch important stuff on tablet and pushed to a TV

Just as well I was looking at this anyway. Got redundancy notice on Monday for mid-April so Sky was gone that same night. Just hoping my bike doesn't have to follow it.

russd7
11th February 2018, 20:07
Got redundancy notice on Monday for mid-April so Sky was gone that same night. Just hoping my bike doesn't have to follow it.

that sucks dude, hope you find something suitable real quick.

Akzle
11th February 2018, 21:11
Got redundancy notice on Monday for mid-April

bro. join my crew for when everyone votes akzle.

you can be my minister of c*ssina

TheDemonLord
11th February 2018, 21:15
bro. join my crew for when everyone votes akzle.

you can be my minister of c*ssina

That would be the world shortest ministerial posting...

Akzle
11th February 2018, 21:34
That would be the world shortest ministerial posting...

well. i mean yes. because executing the cunt takes whatever fraction of 1200fps to do.

but i'll keep him on in case of future morons.

Oakie
12th February 2018, 18:42
that sucks dude, hope you find something suitable real quick.

Cheers man (and those others of you who sent me nice shiney rep to make me feel better). Funny you should say that. I interview for a role as a DX delivery rider tomorrow. :) Funny the way life turns out sometimes. Imagine getting paid to ride a bike!

russd7
12th February 2018, 20:26
Cheers man (and those others of you who sent me nice shiney rep to make me feel better). Funny you should say that. I interview for a role as a DX delivery rider tomorrow. :) Funny the way life turns out sometimes. Imagine getting paid to ride a bike!

yup a GN125 is still considered a motorbike. on the positive side they pay for their riders to do ride forever training

Wannabiker
12th February 2018, 21:11
yup a GN125 is still considered a motorbike. on the positive side they pay for their riders to do ride forever training
It will seem like forever on a GN125