PDA

View Full Version : legality of "lane splitting"

norm
12th October 2005, 10:55
Dear all,
i ride to work along the western motorway in rush hour (S). I do this (for my sins ) on a vespa 150. When the traffic is well spaced and i have a good view, and both lane 2 and 3 are sitting or travelling at say less than 20 kms / hr, i cover the brakes and ride through slowly (max say 35kms/ hr/) between the lanes with rh indicator lit.

i see many other bikers doing the same (with caution for loonies doing sudden lane changes) , and often much faster (fast enough to make your eyes water.)

what is the general concensus on this for you all, safe, normal even , or dodgy.... what do the copps say if they see this sort of behavoiur....

ta (ps i ride with full safety kit before any one disses me for being a shirtsleeve moped rider)
chris

bugjuice
12th October 2005, 10:57
search, and ye shall find shed loads on 'lanesplitting' and 'filtering'..
My personal fav.. (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showpost.php?p=153758&postcount=11)

Cibby
12th October 2005, 11:02
search, and ye shall find shed loads on 'lanesplitting' and 'filtering'..
My personal fav.. (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showpost.php?p=153758&postcount=11)
thanks for that buggy..

Very helpful. :)

bugjuice
12th October 2005, 11:05
the bus lane on the motorway has changed now I think. As far as I'm aware, bikes cannot use bus lanes on any motorway. Just stay off them to be on the safe side.

And that conversation was with the cop helpdesk, cos I was calling about something else, but I decided to ask about filtering, since I had them on the phone

R6_kid
12th October 2005, 11:30
buggy is right. If you are just taking it carefully then its not a problem, doing it either on the left of the motorway or on the far right is not allowed as they are not classed as parts of the road (yes the road stops at the white line on the far right hand side!!!)

If you are just taking it easy then you wont cause yourself any monetary loss in 99% of situations... but the main thing if you do get pulled up is the 'attitude test' - that is if you basically tell them to get stuffed and let you do your own thing, you get a ticket. But if you are reasonable and listen to what they say (read nodding, smiling, agreeing etc) then they will generally let you on your way as they dont want to do the paperwork.

Just remember the main reason they'll tell you off is not because they want your money but because they dont want to have to clean you off the motorway while your remains cause a nice 4hr drive home for the rest of Auckland. Its not nice for them, and it doesnt look reflect well on yourself (whats left of you) or the rest of the biker population.

Just stay within your limits and keep in mind that what you are doing is technically illegal and you should be sweet.

madboy
12th October 2005, 11:52
wot gareth said - play nice and you'll get away with it whether it's legal or not. be a knob and you'll get taxed sooner or later - and on a 150 scooter i'd say you're probably not going to be discussing the merits of tax avoidance on the mway.

R6_kid
12th October 2005, 12:30
wot gareth said - play nice and you'll get away with it whether it's legal or not. be a knob and you'll get taxed sooner or later - and on a 150 scooter i'd say you're probably not going to be discussing the merits of tax avoidance on the mway.

unless of course he was riding a vespa 150, with a big moustache and a tied up pony tail... gotta love the wogs :bleh:

SN4PD
13th October 2005, 06:08
If you are just taking it easy then you wont cause yourself any monetary loss in 99% of situations... but the main thing if you do get pulled up is the 'attitude test' - that is if you basically tell them to get stuffed and let you do your own thing, you get a ticket. But if you are reasonable and listen to what they say (read nodding, smiling, agreeing etc) then they will generally let you on your way as they dont want to do the paperwork.

Yep, got pulled over for doing 72 in a 50K last night :argh: (Really :stupid:, I know they always patrol the Greenlane West area by the racecourse in a unmarked car at that time of night).

Did the whole nodding, smiling, agreeing thing etc and didn’t get a ticket for speeding, or the L plate that seems to have fallen off :shifty:, or not having my learner license on me. :niceone:

R6_kid
13th October 2005, 09:48
Did the whole nodding, smiling, agreeing thing etc and didn’t get a ticket for speeding, or the L plate that seems to have fallen off :shifty:, or not having my learner license on me. :niceone:

lol, mr organised right here! Maybe he just thought your ZXR was sooooo hot that if he ticketed you he wouldnt be able to live with himself for giving a ticket to somone with such a mean learners bike :niceone: :devil2:
i might not ride a zxr anymore but i still love 'em!

zeRax
15th October 2005, 19:43
:\, ive got things to learn when it comes to being pulled up, last time ( $630 ) all i said was yea? shit? not even my bike, thats a fucking expensive lesson isnt it ?
cop wasnt very talkative and it kinda annoyed me, unsocial bastard fuck

VasalineWarrior
15th October 2005, 19:58
No-one minds lane splitting if you arent an ass about it (cops included ive found), but strictly speaking I think that your only supposed to do it if the traffic is stopped, and if you dont go over 15km/hr (correct me if im wrong here guys), and you do it on the right hand side (so no foot paths or cycle lanes) :nono:
That said ive passed muftis in traffic in Wellington at 35-40 and they haven't batted an eyelid. Use discretion, and if in doubt just wait in the line.

:rofl:
18th October 2005, 11:00
gee wilikers bugjuice. If I got a tuppence every time you pointed that post out. well Id probably have a couple tuppence but this has to be the most posted question out there

(ive been reading)

XP@
18th October 2005, 12:08
Ok, so lane splitting is kinda legal unless you are being silly. But riding carefully down the left hand shoulder or is not legal.

Which is the safest? there is a lot less going on on the shoulder. So, why not open this up to bikes when the traffic speed is below ~20kph and there is nothing blocking it. A max speed in this area of 30 to 40kph should be a safe limit.

The benefits of this be huge because it is safer and car drivers would not become annoyed with bikes trying to pass centimeters from their wing mirrors.
The downside would be that we would have to contend with the debris in this area. Most of the time this can be easily avoided, if the lane is being used we would have to merge back in to the traffic.

bugjuice
18th October 2005, 12:13
gee wilikers bugjuice. If I got a tuppence every time you pointed that post out. well Id probably have a couple tuppence but this has to be the most posted question out there

(ive been reading)
just saves me repeating myself.. valid then, pretty much valid now..

ManDownUnder
18th October 2005, 12:16
1) It's norty so don't do it
2) It's norty so don't get caught

Did I miss anything?

bugjuice
18th October 2005, 12:18

Did I miss anything?
makes me very norty then..

:rofl:
18th October 2005, 14:16
just saves me repeating myself.. valid then, pretty much valid now..

I wasnt dissing you. just people who dont search.... or lurk for that matter

bugjuice
18th October 2005, 14:17
I wasnt dissing you. just people who dont search.... or lurk for that matter
i know.. didn't say you were ;)
just pointing it out

mouldy
18th October 2005, 15:39

Did I miss anything?
It's not norty if you don't break the law . Read your road code about the ins and outs of overtaking a vehicle in the same lane as you :whocares:

heavenly.talker
18th October 2005, 16:03
:\, ive got things to learn when it comes to being pulled up, last time ( $630 ) all i said was yea? shit? not even my bike, thats a fucking expensive lesson isnt it ?
cop wasnt very talkative and it kinda annoyed me, unsocial bastard fuck

Dude...it's okay...let it all out..then you will feel better :sunny:
Please don't hold back on our account ;-) lol

Macktheknife
18th October 2005, 20:35
The general rule seems to be dont be a dumbass and you should be ok, most of the coppers I know are ok unless you are being seriously dumb about it like exceeding speed by a large amount.
Either way you need to be a bit careful about it, I have had an incident where tintop opened his door for me, I stopped but only long enough to slam the door and smash the mirror. fortunately no comeback from that one.

terbang
7th November 2005, 15:36
Done it for years in all sort of parts of the world as well. The worst place is on the Sydney motorways where the drivers will intentionally block you and hurl a bit of abuse (my view is that if they don't want to be stuck in slow traffic then get a motorcycle). Stopped by a rozzer once in NZ, I politely told him that if my bike remained stationary it would overheat. Don't think he really believed me, gave me a bit of a lecture :bash: and let me go.