PDA

View Full Version : A comfortable ride

SixPackBack
12th October 2005, 11:22
Look's like i am going in to surgery for a prolapse disc soon and when i get out i will in all likely hood nead a more comfortable ride.
Who on the site has a comfortable bike that is still reasonably sporty, i love my 'custard' GSXR, but find the position to severe.

SixPackBack
12th October 2005, 11:28
Is a TLR really more comfortable

HDTboy
12th October 2005, 11:29
I'll look after the cus-turd for you till you feel able to ride it again

Blackbird
12th October 2005, 11:29
A sad occasion, but it can also be exciting.

I've been increasingly thinking of something like the latest Speed Triple to ease the aches and pains, but hope to hang on for another couple of years as I love the 'bird to bits. It's a real mental jump when switching bikes eh?

Geoff

bugjuice
12th October 2005, 11:32
would have thought the TLR would actually be a better ride position for you 6.. Or take some of the Triumph Triples out.. There's a silver one at Holeshot which looks quick n comfy.. talk to Carl about it.. or try something similar to that sort of style
Shame you have to give up the gixer tho, but when it comes down to that or nothing, then fair call. Hope the op goes well. When are you having that done?

vifferman
12th October 2005, 11:33
If you buy a pipe'n'slippers, you might qualify for VFR ownership...

Hitcher
12th October 2005, 11:34
Look's like i am going in to surgery for a prolapse disc soon and when i get out i will in all likely hood nead a more comfortable ride.
Given your Suzuki loyalties, get yourself a Bandit.

Lou Girardin
12th October 2005, 11:36
The Speed Triple's just come down $500, there's the Superduke, S model Buells. In fact there's many fun bikes without a TDF riding position.

Bartman10
12th October 2005, 11:38
:whistle: :done:

R6_kid
12th October 2005, 11:39
I'll look after the cus-turd for you till you feel able to ride it again

i've already submitted my appliction for that role sorry gav!

Sixpak, try out an R6 or maybe an R1, i found it quite comfortable, could bring the R6 round friday night maybe or sometime over the weekend if you wanna have a sit on it and see how you like it.

crashe
12th October 2005, 11:41
Buy a cruiser mate....
They are real comfy to ride......
And you will so love riding them...

When is the Operation taking place?
How long will you be off a bike for?

All the best, when you do have the operation.

marty
12th October 2005, 11:42
superduke, busa, vfr, blackbird - the new hondas are silly cheap atm

SixPackBack
would have thought the TLR would actually be a better ride position for you 6.. Or take some of the Triumph Triples out.. There's a silver one at Holeshot which looks quick n comfy.. talk to Carl about it.. or try something similar to that sort of style
Shame you have to give up the gixer tho, but when it comes down to that or nothing, then fair call. Hope the op goes well. When are you having that done?

Soon i hope, the 'tramol' hardly touches the sides at the mo'......prolly be a few months before i am back on the bike. Those Triumph's sure look nice eh Buggy, as do the vfr's

Keystone19
i've already submitted my appliction for that role sorry gav!

Umm, sorry guys, I will be carefully storing Andrew's bike for him, starting it regularly to keep it going and giving it the odd gentle ride while he is temporarily indisposed...

R6_kid
12th October 2005, 11:43
Umm, sorry guys, I will be carefully storing Andrew's bike for him, starting it regularly to keep it going and giving it the odd gentle ride while he is temporarily indisposed...

i think one of the underpinning requirements was a full licence :cool: :wait: :bash:

crashe
12th October 2005, 11:45

So where are you going to put your bike then?

I have seen your garage.... and there aint room for two m/bikes in there...
with the car and all the pushbikes.

So will the car go outside... with all the pushbikes... :rofl:

bugjuice
12th October 2005, 11:46
you are still on about the bike, aren't you..??

6, I'd just go round a few shops when you've got a couple of hours to burn, and just plonk yer butt on a bike and see what you think. There's so many bikes all with their own style and position, that you could spend a life time listening to people and still get no where. Just get your butt on a few, then narrow it down that way, then go ride some, and see which clicks the best..

SixPackBack
12th October 2005, 11:48
look's like i could make some money out of hirage while i am indisposed.

marty
12th October 2005, 11:48
Thanks Bugs, your right the TLR would be more comfortable than a Gixxer, but less comfortable than a VFR for example.

how bout a nice TL S?

Keystone19
12th October 2005, 11:50
So where are you going to put your bike then?

I have seen your garage.... and there aint room for two m/bikes in there...
with the car and all the pushbikes.

So will the car go outside... with all the pushbikes... :rofl:

The car will go outside of course, all the bikes will remain inside...

Keystone19
12th October 2005, 11:52
i think one of the underpinning requirements was a full licence :cool: :wait: :bash:

:kick: :Pokey: :ar15: :finger: :moon:

R6_kid
12th October 2005, 11:54
:kick: :Pokey: :ar15: :finger: :moon:

sorry hun, couldnt help myself! We are both in the same boat, for the mean time anyway :spudwave:

Keystone19
12th October 2005, 11:56
sorry hun, couldnt help myself! We are both in the same boat, for the mean time anyway :spudwave:

I know, but you just couldn't resist could you. At least I have sat and passed mine, now I'm just waiting for the paperwork...

Devil
12th October 2005, 12:04
You could try mah speed four, the position is probably what you're after, dunno if you want the reduction in power though :P Otherwise a speed triple would be the shiznit.

ManDownUnder
12th October 2005, 12:04
Who on the site has a comfortable bike that is still reasonably sporty, i love my 'custard' GSXR, but find the position to severe.

Take the RF for a blat anytime you want mate... I expect it'll probably do what you want...

Zed
12th October 2005, 12:06
I've been increasingly thinking of something like the latest Speed Triple to ease the aches and pains, but hope to hang on for another couple of years as I love the 'bird to bits.So you get a few aches and pains from the Bird do you Geoff? I find the CBR the most comfy compared to previous bikes I've owned, Gixxer750 & Fireblade to name two.

Sixpack, I'd consider it but mine is a '97 and getting close to 50k on the clock, plus I havn't got any $$ to pour into a newer bike at present.

Ps. LOVE the new avatar! :niceone:

MissSniper
12th October 2005, 12:07
What do you think of an FZ?

SixPackBack
12th October 2005, 12:08
Thanx for the kind offers Guys, much appreciated. Unfortunatley i have been banned from biking for some time, once i get better i may just take you up :cool:

sels1
12th October 2005, 12:19
Try the sit up position on the Triumph Tiger, GS series BMW (650 - 1150) or even the Suzuki V-Strom. In other words, time for an adventure/ tourer!

Badcat
12th October 2005, 12:23

like this one:
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Sports-tourer/auction-37305768.htm
basically a Mille with MX bars - but NOT DETUNED.
most nakeds are softened a little in the power stakes - not this little biatch..
oh, and peter doak at emoto brings them in from japan at good money too...
worth a ride.
K

The Stranger
12th October 2005, 12:25
There is only one thing for it.
A sporty new Goldwing.

Just don't drop it aye.

Big Dave
12th October 2005, 12:32
Speed triple - hot up a Bandit - KTM - any supermotard.

Crashe - some cruisers make my back ache more than a sprots bike.

Gareth - an R1 insead of a gixxer for comfort?!? - have you been sniffing glue?

R6_kid
12th October 2005, 12:36
Try the sit up position on GS series BMW (650 - 1150)

lol, sixpak you said something about the german uphill gardening society... looks like you will have to be their next member instead of me :whistle:

R6_kid
12th October 2005, 12:37

nah not quite... to be honest i havent sat on an R1 but i assumed that it would be similar to the R6.

Then again assumption are the mother of all f**kups!

Lou Girardin
12th October 2005, 13:14

Ya gotta laugh dontcha, the guy's got back problems so they recommend another sprotbike.

SixPackBack
12th October 2005, 15:32
Thank you for the information and kind offers guys, much appreciated :niceone:

bugjuice
12th October 2005, 15:40
and so far, no smutty remarks about a 'comfortable ride'.. must be a first..

loosebruce
12th October 2005, 16:13
Shet, must suck being old 6pak :Pokey:

Sit it out for a while mate, nothing like trying to get back on it early and stuffing yaself even more, ya could always put a set of risers on the gixer (and turbo it.........) and if Jill cant look after the gixer by golly i will, it'll look mint next to the yellow twin turbo supra in the garage and you know i's will look after it like it was my own :whistle: i'm sure my bikes issues are nothing to do with me :mellow:

Get better soon mate.

loosebruce
12th October 2005, 16:16
Look's like i am going in to surgery for a prolapse disc

On a side note: Isn't your back meant to be pretty strong eh, or was it over working thats done it?

SixPackBack
12th October 2005, 16:30
On a side note: Isn't your back meant to be pretty strong eh, or was it over working thats done it?

Haha......yeah good point, prolly overworked but the injury i have now is from a rowing machine in February. I was getting to many injuries at Karate so i thought the gym would be safe.......how wrong can you be!
And yeah i looked into the high rise bars, they could be a great compromise.,

trev
12th October 2005, 18:38
Hey Andrew,
Sorry to hear about your injury. Remember a good custard always bounces back.

White trash
12th October 2005, 22:25
My $0.02

Cruisers are not necesarily more comfortable. They work for some folk (aka Crashe) but I've spoken to owners of and experienced alot of different bikes. A VFR/Bandit/Hornet will probably be better, but a good friend of mine broke his back a couple of years back while crashing a GSXR1100. He now rides a Gixxer 1K with not much difficulty.

Six: Park it in the garage, wait untill your quack sez "You can ride" and build up to it gradually. Get a home gym (Bowflex :devil2: ) and work out your Lats and Traps, this will give you the muscle tone you need to support your spine and allow you to ride the machine YOU ENJOY. Don't settle for a bike you don't like as you'll be out of bikes as soon as, if the passion's not there, you'll not enjoy it.

justsomeguy
12th October 2005, 22:33
Sorry to hear about this A - look forward to you permanently joining us on rides again.

Cruiser's are not the comfy'est either. The ones that have your feet placed fairly forward place your spine in an unnatural curve which is not only uncomfortable but rather unhealthy too.

This below seems to be the bestadvice.

My $0.02

Cruisers are not necesarily more comfortable. They work for some folk (aka Crashe) but I've spoken to owners of and experienced alot of different bikes. A VFR/Bandit/Hornet will probably be better, but a good friend of mine broke his back a couple of years back while crashing a GSXR1100. He now rides a Gixxer 1K with not much difficulty.

Six: Park it in the garage, wait untill your quack sez "You can ride" and build up to it gradually. Get a home gym (Bowflex :devil2: ) and work out your Lats and Traps, this will give you the muscle tone you need to support your spine and allow you to ride the machine YOU ENJOY. Don't settle for a bike you don't like as you'll be out of bikes as soon as, if the passion's not there, you'll not enjoy it.

Velox
12th October 2005, 23:59
Ok - on WT's advice, it sounds like a straight swap would probably be the best option. The Jade is pretty much like a hornet and is a more sedate option for our 'older' folk. :whistle: (Btw - Only 108,000kms, new paint and one careful lady owner :devil2: )

When's a good time to pop up?

kiwisfly
13th October 2005, 12:36
Thank you for the information and kind offers guys, much appreciated :niceone:
Hey I hope the operation goe's well sixpackback.

SixPackBack
13th October 2005, 12:54
Look's like it is all go for the operation, a disc fussion on the upper spine. I have been informed that i will prolly feel a lot better shortly [ good ]......but i still need to visit the surgeon's knife, the operation involves going through my throat to my spine, screwing two disc's together with a few weeks recuperation........the worst part no bike for a few months, but i should still be able to pilot the custard when healed....hearing that made me very happy!

R6_kid
13th October 2005, 13:05
through ur throat to ur back? I thought you were sposed to do that to the missus when she's.... shit wrong thread :mellow:

hope it all goes well mate