PDA

View Full Version : Q: Why are Harley's missing in a certain price range?

Flyingpony
12th October 2005, 16:17
Always like the sound of a Harley idling, and thought about eventually (many years from now) to buy one. But when looking at their prices there seems to be a missing price range.

I've not seen any Harley's on sale in the sub 2k or 5k market.
In fact the cheapest I've seen was 15k.

What happens to all the Harley's once they drop below 15k?
Where can the cheaper ones be found?

I mean, I know some models are sold new at 26k, surely they eventually must drop below 10k.

Thanks for explaining this puzzle.

James Deuce
12th October 2005, 16:22
It's quite simple really. They don't slip under 10k. In fact once they get to a certain age they start to appreciate again, because they are representative of a certain "period" in HD history.

Cunning marketing, and always keeping supply short.

SlashWylde
12th October 2005, 16:38
It's quite simple really. They don't slip under 10k. In fact once they get to a certain age they start to appreciate again, because they are representative of a certain "period" in HD history.

Cunning marketing, and always keeping supply short.

Yep, what he said in the main is true. Oh you will find the odd bike going for under $10k (I've seen them advertised) but really if you want a Harley for under $10k you're going to have to find out about it by word of mouth from friends or contacts who are willing to sell cheap, or build it yourself from parts scavenged from swap meets - which I will probably do myself within the next 5 years.

madboy
12th October 2005, 16:40
The markets for Harleys are two-fold - those who will sacrifice anything to have "that" bike, and those who are at a position in life where dropping $15k on a bike isn't such a big thing. Supply and demand, a material object is worth as much as someone wants to pay for it. People in either of those two categories WILL pay $15k for one.

You're not buying a bike, you're buying a Harley. You don't say your ambition is to own a big, heavy, noisy cruiser (of which many Jappas are available for $5k) - it's to own a Harley.

You don't see $5k Ferraris.

Coyote
12th October 2005, 17:09
The markets for Harleys are two-fold - those who will sacrifice anything to have "that" bike, and those who are at a position in life where dropping $15k on a bike isn't such a big thing. Supply and demand, a material object is worth as much as someone wants to pay for it. People in either of those two categories WILL pay $15k for one.

That's why the 250 market is so high priced

SPORK
12th October 2005, 17:12
Seriously, if you like the sound of a Hardley idling, just get an AG200 and make a small hole in the exhaust, or let rust do it's thing. It would be about 15 times cheaper too! Oh, and it probably has better performance :whistle:

But anyway, wouldn't you rather have a real bike?!

Big Dave
12th October 2005, 17:53
Seriously, if you like the sound of a Hardley idling, just get an AG200 and make a small hole in the exhaust, or let rust do it's thing. It would be about 15 times cheaper too! Oh, and it probably has better performance :whistle:

But anyway, wouldn't you rather have a real bike?!

You've never ridden one - have you?

SixPackBack
12th October 2005, 17:58
You've never ridden one - have you?

What are they like compaired to a sprots bike, what is the attraction. I have ridden an old Suzuki harley clone and it was awfull

avgas
12th October 2005, 18:12
What are they like compaired to a sprots bike, what is the attraction. I have ridden an old Suzuki harley clone and it was awfull
Ride a buel, then jump back on ya GSXR, and i garuntee that your first ride you will have ground the foot pegs on it.....then be wondering how come it doesnt have the same punch in the corner.
Same with Harley bootin it on the open road. Was riding with a group of guys once, and saw some dude on a hardtail race a good ol zzr11 - i dont think i have ever seen a harley boot that fast.
While the jap cruisier have more power.....There is something about the reverse firing order of a harley motor that is like fire......you dont know why but you cant stop stareing.
Me i think that the MT-OS is the beez-kneez....that and the sound of a lovely triple - now that has a shaken not stirred feel to it

Big Dave
12th October 2005, 20:01

They compare quite favourably. Don't listen to wankers who sprout 'they don't handle' without ever having ridden one.
What some of them don't have is enough cornering clearance for NZ conditions (they were designed for superslab) - but the all 'handle' just fine. Nicely in fact. Turn, change directions, stop, manouvre, just as well as any other modern motorcycle.

The noise they make and the feel good factor of the genuine article are special too.

Street cred. You can take the piss at the accountants who ride them once every whatever, but if you do want to go anywhere 'evil' every now and again.....

Interstate truckies wind their window down and tell you what a cool bike at the traffic lights.

For you and your back i would definitely test ride an FXDX Dyna Super Glide Sports. Most rewarding motorcycle. Adjustable front and rear susp, good ground clearance, brakes and a genuinely spirited ride. It actually handles really well.

2nd handers are in the mid/high 20's - The other good thing about H-Ds is that if you look after them - that's roughly what they stay worth.

(now most of the above is true of Triumphs too* - and they go even faster)
* except for the noise and the holding value bits.

SixPackBack
12th October 2005, 20:13
Thank you Big Dave, coming from you that means something.......you got me thinkin now......can i get a harley in custard yellow :niceone:

Big Dave
12th October 2005, 20:54
Thank you Big Dave, coming from you that means something.......you got me thinkin now......can i get a harley in custard yellow :niceone:

Nah - I'm just an opiniated git who's ridden lots of motorcycles.
See his months kiwi rider mag or scroll down to the road king pic and story at
www.davidcohen.co.nz

about 40 large, but baby, what a ride.

White trash
12th October 2005, 21:13
Beanman. I don't wanna sound like a cocky cunt, but I am, so I will.

I had a V-Rod and gave Deano a hiding and scared the shit outta Jimbo600 and Cycosis (2 of Welly Masives top dogs) on the Castle Point road. If you want to see what a Harley can do against a sports machine, chuck us the keys and be prepared to cry.

Being the "look at me" type rider I am, nothing will EVER come close to a Harley for the sheer experiance of ride.

And for the record, you can buy a brand new Harley for unde 15K, a ten year old 883/1200 can be sourced for well under 10 so I'm not sure where all these "high priced" arguments stem from.

If you're passionate about owning one, the price wont be an issue. If you have to question it? Well, you're looking at the wrong bike.

SPORK
12th October 2005, 21:16
www.davidcohen.co.nz (http://www.davidcohen.co.nz)

Just had my first poke around ya site, very nice, I must say. I notice you've used the same Brushed Metal look as you did on the White's site?

Waylander
12th October 2005, 21:25
Buy the paint and bring the sheet metal down here and I'll paint it for ya so long as it's only one colour.

Big Dave
12th October 2005, 21:52
Just had my first poke around ya site, very nice, I must say. I notice you've used the same Brushed Metal look as you did on the White's site?

smy brushed metal - i'll use it anywhere i like.
it's actually created by a photoshop plug-in i've had since v2.0 (10 years?)
'Midnights TV' on 30% grey and a bit of white air brush.

Timber020
12th October 2005, 22:31
There are a number of reasons why harleys dont depreciate, some have already been mentioned. They are also generally owned by older affluent people who use them on fine weekends, keep them garaged, well serviced and since image is very important they keep them looking good and scratch free.
Generally harleys dont change that much(aside from the Vrods and buells) so theres less incentive for people to update their bikes as the main reason for buying the bike isnt effected year by year. (such as they wanted the worlds fastest sport bike or what won the Isle of mann proddy)

Lou Girardin
13th October 2005, 07:11

You're not buying a bike, you're buying a Harley. You don't say your ambition is to own a big, heavy, noisy cruiser (of which many Jappas are available for $5k) - it's to own a Harley.

You don't see $5k Ferraris.

$15k? more like 30.

I used to take the piss out of Harley's, then I rode some.
I'll still take the piss out of some Harley owners though. Note that I said owners, I'm referring to those that do 500 k's in a year. They're not riders.
Nothing else gets the attention that Harleys do, if some of the more desperate young'uns on this site want to get laid, sell the TDF sprotbike and the 'jussed up' leathers and buy a Hardley. Get some tats and two days stubble too.
I'm not guaranteeing which sex will hit on you though.

Flyingpony
13th October 2005, 09:14
Thanks all. Seems my thoughts match what you all posted.

SPORK
13th October 2005, 15:14
smy brushed metal - i'll use it anywhere i like.
it's actually created by a photoshop plug-in i've had since v2.0 (10 years?)
'Midnights TV' on 30% grey and a bit of white air brush.
I make mine in PS by starting off with a 50% grey base, then adding in some monochromatic noise, then doing a horizontal blur. And some lighting effects and bevelling if I can be bothered.

Big Dave
13th October 2005, 15:19
I make mine in PS by starting off with a 50% grey base, then adding in some monochromatic noise, then doing a horizontal blur. And some lighting effects and bevelling if I can be bothered.

I'll give that a try too.

Storm
13th October 2005, 15:29
This'd be from your own personal experience with the leathers and tatts then Lou?
:bleh:

SPORK
13th October 2005, 17:42
I'll give that a try too.
BD, as I am a total PS noooob, and was awe-struck by the second example of your "quasimoto" logo, would you mind telling me how you got that sweet outline for it?

Is it just a slightly bigger outline of the original text with a smooth bevel on it?

Big Dave
13th October 2005, 18:08
BD, as I am a total PS noooob, and was awe-struck by the second example of your "quasimoto" logo, would you mind telling me how you got that sweet outline for it?

Is it just a slightly bigger outline of the original text with a smooth bevel on it?

select the non transparent part of the text layer.

make a new layer

choose a grey

edit - stroke

now select the non transparent parts of that layer

run the white airbrush tool over it

get layer properties

outer glow

bevel and emboss

send invoice for $300.

:laugh:

SPORK
13th October 2005, 19:20
send invoice for $300.

:not:

Ouch. Um, I did a version of my own, not nearly as good as yours, but hey, I am teh suck. See attached pic. And I did it without your help! :whistle:

Big Dave
13th October 2005, 20:34
:not:

Ouch.

'From' $300 I supply large format cmyk layered and flat psds, tifs and jpegs at screen res - and a vector version in spot and process colour.
plus proofs and pantone numbers.

oh and yeah - you got it.

Rashika
13th October 2005, 21:33
'From' $300 I supply large format cmyk layered and flat psds, tifs and jpegs at screen res - and a vector version in spot and process colour.

a vector version too huh? ;)

just looking at your site Dave , pretty impressive!
damn wish there were more hours in the day...I've run out for now ...but wanna look a little bit longer :niceone:

SPORK
13th October 2005, 21:38

Well that sounds fair to me. And BTW, got what?

riffer
13th October 2005, 21:44
Pah. These young 'uns have it too easy.

I remember working half the night on a hotted up Mac IIfx running Photoshop 1.5 under System 6.0.8 to do some tricky stuff back in about '91.

Back then no such thing as layers. Or multiple alpha channels. Let alone layer effects. I had a 12 inch Apple colour monitor and a Radius Pivot (remember those?)

Used to save all the alphas as separate files, load alpha to selection and use some previously worked out image calculations to achieve these effects.

Ah the good old days...

Good to see someone else has been using PS as long as me Big Dave...

SPORK
13th October 2005, 22:10
We may have it easy, but that's only becase we deserve it! Well, I do, I'm not sure about the others... :whistle:

I need to increase my PS-1337ness. Any tips?

Big Dave
13th October 2005, 22:45
Ah the good old days...

you forget to mention 'ONE undo'.

yeah - It's still my favourite.

I coloured up the Kustom kultchure big daddy roth piece with it - and created my own 'homage' piece with it.

The bonne started as a bog standard t100 pictured on the showroom floor at amps.

photoshop finks rule.

Big Dave
13th October 2005, 22:49
And BTW, got what?

the hang of doing that stuff in photoshop

Rashika
14th October 2005, 05:06
Pah. These young 'uns have it too easy.

I remember working half the night on a hotted up Mac IIfx running Photoshop 1.5 under System 6.0.8 to do some tricky stuff back in about '91.

Back then no such thing as layers. Or multiple alpha channels. Let alone layer effects. I had a 12 inch Apple colour monitor and a Radius Pivot (remember those?)

Used to save all the alphas as separate files, load alpha to selection and use some previously worked out image calculations to achieve these effects.

Ah the good old days...

well I can remember back to sys 7, psp 2.5 and Fh 4 oh and my hated application (Quark 3.11 ...ugh) and when the power mac was the next BIG thing... but I think you have me beat on the computers by 2 years or so!
...altho i was doing it all by hand for the previous 10 years before that, no such thing as computers when i first started in the trade :whistle:

Lou Girardin
14th October 2005, 07:15
This'd be from your own personal experience with the leathers and tatts then Lou?
:bleh:

Hell no, I wouldn't be able to keep my wife off me if I had them.

Pixie
14th October 2005, 15:18
Ride a buel, then jump back on ya GSXR, and i garuntee that your first ride you will have ground the foot pegs on it.....then be wondering how come it doesnt have the same punch in the corner.
Same with Harley bootin it on the open road. Was riding with a group of guys once, and saw some dude on a hardtail race a good ol zzr11 - i dont think i have ever seen a harley boot that fast.
While the jap cruisier have more power.....There is something about the reverse firing order of a harley motor that is like fire......you dont know why but you cant stop stareing.
Me i think that the MT-OS is the beez-kneez....that and the sound of a lovely triple - now that has a shaken not stirred feel to it
a Buel isn't a Hardley
It's a very good motorcycle with an "improved" tractor motor in it

The Stranger
14th October 2005, 15:37
There is something about the reverse firing order of a harley motor that is like fire

Well what is the firing order of a harley?

Ixion
14th October 2005, 15:46
Well what is the firing order of a harley?
Normal twins fire 1,2 . harleys are different , they fire 2,1

Rashika
14th October 2005, 19:52
a Buel isn't a Hardley
It's a very good motorcycle with an "improved" tractor motor in it
hmmm...dont tractors normally run Deisel? :whistle:

well technically yes it is a Harley.... as it is owned and built by harley
Not the typical Harley true ...but neither is the Vrod...which is less of a Harley than a Buell as the engine is designed by Porsche, at least the Buell still has a Harley albeit worked motor.

its a fkg cool bike :cool:

hmmm ....not sure what you mean?

Kickaha
14th October 2005, 20:49
hmmm...dont tractors normally run Deisel? :whistle:

try some Diesel in it, I'm sure it'll work :bleh:

hmmm ....not sure what you mean?

That's cause you're a girl :lol:

Flyingpony
14th October 2005, 21:01
Hhmm, so from a given starting point on the crank shaft, it's 2nd cylinder will fire first followed by the 1st cylinder. Is the idea?

The 2nd cylinder is the rear one?

Any special reason why their firing order is different?

Does this also mean that the crank shaft rotates in the opposite direction of how other bike engines do?

Ixion
14th October 2005, 21:07
Hhmm, so from a given starting point on the crank shaft, it's 2nd cylinder will fire first followed by the 1st cylinder. Is the idea?

The 2nd cylinder is the rear one?

Any special reason why their firing order is different?

Does this also mean that the crank shaft rotates in the opposite direction of other bike engines do?

I've no idea !. It was a pisstake. seems to me that with only two cylinders both are the same, just depends which you call 1 and which 2.

Big Dave
14th October 2005, 23:30
well I can remember back to sys 7, psp 2.5 and Fh 4 oh and my hated application (Quark 3.11 ...ugh) and when the power mac was the next BIG thing... but I think you have me beat on the computers by 2 years or so!
...altho i was doing it all by hand for the previous 10 years before that, no such thing as computers when i first started in the trade :whistle:

ditto - but it was more than 10 yrs, ahh the waxing machine huh...and bromides - jeez things are good now

scumdog
15th October 2005, 06:28

Unless you've fancy ignition both the cylinders fire at the same time, you can swap leads around with no effect on the running - now figure that one out!!

it's easy really!

Rashika
15th October 2005, 06:51
try some Diesel in it, I'm sure it'll work :bleh:
nah thanks runs sweet with regular stuff

That's cause you're a girl :lol:
yeah well some people think that is a GOOD thing :devil2:

Unless you've fancy ignition both the cylinders fire at the same time, you can swap leads around with no effect on the running - now figure that one out!!
it's easy really!
the engine fires as every TDC including the exhaust stroke :niceone:

ps: I know it was a pisstake :whistle:

RDJ
15th October 2005, 23:18

His mind's made up - no facts need apply... :whistle:

Motu
16th October 2005, 09:43
The firing order of my Diamante is 1,2,3,4,5,6 - Keep It Simple Stupid.

ezinnz
19th October 2005, 06:36
I don't think you're going to see a used HD on a stealership shop floor for under 10K - Sportster or not, but if you're willing to put some hours in, baggy bikes are out there in private sales for good prices and with some TLC and a few dollars, they can be made to run and look great again.