rastuscat
26th March 2018, 18:23
160 horses.

What's not to like.

Addo007
26th March 2018, 18:42
160 horses.

What's not to like.

Unfortunately the price. Otherwise I agree.

Scubbo
26th March 2018, 18:46
just buy a car :facepalm:

rastuscat
26th March 2018, 19:19
just buy a car :facepalm:

Almost an MX5. Until you stop and have to put your feet down.

Oakie
26th March 2018, 19:27
She's a big sucker for sure. http://ridermagazine.com/2016/11/08/2017-bmw-k-1600-gtl-first-look-review/

F5 Dave
26th March 2018, 19:41
160 horses.

What's not to like.
Surely the weight?
Maybe you should consider a car?

1100 Tuono does 160hp and at least doesn' weigh the same and the Picton ferry.

rastuscat
26th March 2018, 19:45
Surely the weight?
Maybe you should consider a car?

1100 Tuono does 160hp and at least doesn' weigh the same and the Picton ferry.

If you keep a bike on its axis it balances.

If you lean it, as long as it has enough power, it balances.

Weight means nothing when you know how to handle it.

pzkpfw
26th March 2018, 19:48
So it's like a fat girl.

nzspokes
26th March 2018, 19:53
So it's like a fat girl.

As long as nobody sees you riding her......

rastuscat
26th March 2018, 20:12
As long as nobody sees you riding her......

Nice one, Centurion 😂

tigertim20
26th March 2018, 20:39
if the 160 hp with the weight of a whale gives you a hard-on, just buy a fuckin R1M and slap a pack rack on the back.

rastuscat
26th March 2018, 20:45
if the 160 hp with the weight of a whale gives you a hard-on, just buy a fuckin R1M and slap a pack rack on the back.

Hmm, lets see.

No stereo. No heated seat. No cruise control. Comfortable as an uncomfortable thing after 8 hours. No weather protection.

I guess it depends on what sort of riding you do.

Now, where are my pipe and slippers...............

BMWGSER
26th March 2018, 21:27
To Lardy and expensive to keep, Get a RT/LC or Yamaha FJR 1300 6 speed .
Or wait for the new 1250 RT with VVT, here soon.

AllanB
26th March 2018, 21:40
Not my cuppa but I think that stripped semi bagger GL1800 Goldwing Honda has looks smart for a touring oriented rig.

And check this out - https://www.rolandsands.com/blog/588/-bmw-motorrad-concept-101-the-spirit-of-the-open-road-

Crasherfromwayback
26th March 2018, 22:11
If you keep a bike on its axis it balances.

If you lean it, as long as it has enough power, it balances.

Weight means nothing when you know how to handle it.

Hmm, lets see.

No stereo. No heated seat. No cruise control. Comfortable as an uncomfortable thing after 8 hours. No weather protection.

Seriously. Buy a fucking car. You can at least take some friends with you, if you have any.

EJK
26th March 2018, 23:18
Commission rate for parking warden is pretty good then?

rastuscat
27th March 2018, 06:10
Commission rate for parking warden is pretty good then?

Haven't started yet.

F5 Dave
27th March 2018, 06:13
Ride the R1M. They actually aren't uncomfortable but the handling is phenomenal once you get a move on. TBH I got off a mates and decided it was best if I didn't ride it any further on the queens highways.
And what a lot of sanctimonious shit about balance. Fine if you only ride on a wall of death or in a straight line.
actually buy a Trials bike and learn some real skills.

rastuscat
27th March 2018, 06:13
To Lardy and expensive to keep, Get a RT/LC or Yamaha FJR 1300 6 speed .
Or wait for the new 1250 RT with VVT, here soon.

I hesr ya. I've never been one for new bikes. Depreciation makes me cringe.

I look for bikes that are low km, with the features I want.

My present RT was 18 months old with 1000 km on it. And $10K less than new.

rastuscat
27th March 2018, 06:17
To Lardy and expensive to keep,

My mechanic told me yesterday that an oil change on the K1300GTL costs $120. For the oil.

pritch
27th March 2018, 07:35
My mechanic told me yesterday that an oil change on the K1300GTL costs $120. For the oil.

Oil is cheap. Compared to an engine recondition. As I recall though BMW services were decidedly not cheap..

EJK
27th March 2018, 08:51
Oil is cheap. Compared to an engine recondition. As I recall though BMW services were decidedly not cheap..

Haha I think rastus should know :laugh: Don't think he's had any other bike than BMWs since the day he was born.

Also he's the person whose introduced me to this brilliant BMW Motorrad mechanic (Jimmy @ BMS) here in Christchurch.

imac
27th March 2018, 12:29
So it's like a fat girl.

Bwahahahaha. Now THAT'S funny

rastuscat
27th March 2018, 14:23
Haha I think rastus should know :laugh: Don't think he's had any other bike than BMWs since the day he was born.

Also he's the person whose introduced me to this brilliant BMW Motorrad mechanic (Jimmy @ BMS) here in Christchurch.

Let's see. There might be a pattern forming.

Honda
Kawasaki
Gilera
BMW
BMW
BMW
BMW
BMW
BMW.

Nah, I'm not seeing it.

caseye
27th March 2018, 15:23
Poor , poor sick ol Rastus, those BM Wubblewes are big ol lardy arses me ol mate, get a Bandit!

Moi
27th March 2018, 15:27
Let's see. There might be a pattern forming.

Honda
Kawasaki
Gilera
BMW
BMW
BMW
BMW
BMW
BMW.

Nah, I'm not seeing it.

It's either your keyboard has an issue with repeating uncontrollably...

or

the quality of your ride went down hill dramatically after your first bike! :yawn:

EJK
27th March 2018, 15:56
In his defense I'll say I actually kinda like the BMW K1600GTL

As well as R1200RS, GS, R... :whistle:

AllanB
27th March 2018, 19:13

Be 4 liters of Gods best full synthetic. About right dollar wise. Nothing wrong with the good oil :woohoo:

tigertim20
27th March 2018, 20:09
Hmm, lets see.

Now, where are my pipe and slippers...............

Im not sure youre looking at the big picture - let me help you.
No Stereo - aftermarket pipe sounds better than modern shit music played on the radio
no heated seat - it goes really fast, you wont be on it long enough to get cold
no cruise control - it goes really fast so you can just reach your destination sooner
comfort - it goes really fast so you won't be on it long enough to get uncomfortable
no weather protection - it goes really fast so you won't be exposed to weather for long enough to get cold or wet

ruaphu
27th March 2018, 21:31
160 horses.

What's not to like.

The every thirty thou major check/replacement of the shims in the rocker gear, a very long and costly job to that requires most of the front end to be removed to access the SOB’s. Mate has one, was somewhat shocked it took most of the day to do.

So whats a bike mech charge these days, near on a hundy an hour, approx 7 hour job just for shim check, fark that.

The thing is full of electronics and Bmw ain’t no reliability saint in that dept. even the dam headlight has its own ‘brain’ to keep it flat etc.

Just appears to be a long term misery money pit....... just like their four legged versions............ dogs

Just sayin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ruaphu
27th March 2018, 21:34
The every thirty thou major check/replacement of the shims in the rocker gear, a very long and costly job to that requires most of the front end to be removed to access the SOB’s. Mate has one, was somewhat shocked it took most of the day to do.

So whats a bike mech charge these days, near on a hundy an hour, approx 7 hour job just for shim check, fark that.

The thing is full of electronics and Bmw ain’t no reliability saint in that dept. even the dam headlight has its own ‘brain’ to keep it flat etc.

Just appears to be a long term misery money pit....... just like their four legged versions............ dogs

Just sayin

Perhaps better to wait for the 2018 goldwing, it would be bullet proof and mop the floor with the beemer in every way.

Akzle
28th March 2018, 06:18
hayabusa .

rastuscat
28th March 2018, 06:23

Just sayin

This information, which sounds informed, might just be a deal breaker.

Racing Dave
28th March 2018, 15:32
even the dam headlight has its own ‘brain’ to keep it flat etc.

The clever headlight brain really works - it's actually only the low beam reflector that moves (stays level) when the bike is banked. In the first photo, the top bike is my R1200GSA on high beam (both high and low beams lit) and the lower bike is the K1600GT (not GTL, but probably the same) also on high beam, both photos with the same camera settings. A marked difference in illumination, particularly where you need it most, 'around the bend', without the sharp cut-off that is so frustrating. Also, note the intensity of the K's high beam spot on the hillside. They're pretty good lights.

Grumph
28th March 2018, 18:49
This information, which sounds informed, might just be a deal breaker.

Pretty well all the late model fours are the same. Difficult access comes with the layout. 30 thou KM is also about right for most of them now.
How quick do you clock up the K's ?

Bloody oils are getting beyond a joke. Local garage did an oil change on a late model car - and finished up being sued when it went tits up cos they didn't use the correct brand of oil. Right viscosity and quantity - and full synth as specified. Wrong brand. Turned out it was only available via the car agency - and cos they weren't going to do the change they priced it out of the range of the small workshop. Small claims split it 50/50 luckily.

rastuscat
28th March 2018, 18:53
Pretty well all the late model fours are the same. Difficult access comes with the layout. 30 thou KM is also about right for most of them now.
How quick do you clock up the K's ?

Bloody oils are getting beyond a joke. Local garage did an oil change on a late model car - and finished up being sued when it went tits up cos they didn't use the correct brand of oil. Right viscosity and quantity - and full synth as specified. Wrong brand. Turned out it was only available via the car agency - and cos they weren't going to do the change they priced it out of the range of the small workshop. Small claims split it 50/50 luckily.

While I've been working I'm clocking up maybe 40000 km per year. This is spread across two bikes.

Now that I'm moving on to another job, my mileage will plummet.

rastuscat
28th March 2018, 18:57
re the farkles giving problems, it's basically a conundrum.

You get a bike with lots of toys, and enjoy them. Then they go wrong, and you go get a bike without all the toys. And you miss them.

I love my RT. All the factory toys. It's old generation, it's a DOHC, pre LC.

The GTL has a generation ahead of my RT. Toys for Africa. I'll need to consider the toys when I do make the final call. And what might go wrong.

There';s a comment above about BMW tech stuff going wrong. I've had a few, and few have gone wrong.

BMWGSER
28th March 2018, 19:17
The new RT /LC has enough toys and is pretty well sorted , My one has not given much trouble at all with 56ks on it now.
New ones are Going out the door at $32500 at present , buy one now claim the GST and deprecation for the last year for a new vehicle . If you wind the books up later on pay the GST back on a wholesale valuation later on for a used bike.
Make the self employed part work for You before becoming another Council employee again.
You would love the current RT . Tell the Dealer You no there is new model coming.
Paradise Tours might have some 2016/17 models coming up for sale , let Me know if interested,
And I can check for You.

Jeff Sichoe
29th March 2018, 07:25
what's the point in a bike like that in NZ? you could do a lap of either island and the bike would only just be warming up?

rastuscat
29th March 2018, 15:36
what's the point in a bike like that in NZ? you could do a lap of either island and the bike would only just be warming up?

To be fair, there are a lot of bikes in NZ which are pointless. Our open road speed limit is 100, but there are R1s, Fireblades, and Hayabusas.

AllanB
29th March 2018, 16:02
To be fair, there are a lot of bikes in NZ which are pointless. Our open road speed limit is 100, but there are R1s, Fireblades, and Hayabusas.

Good point. And you can slap ya deposit down now for a 200 plus hp V4 Ducati - the power wars are heating up.

I received a e-mail from Casbolts - they have a new VFR800 on special at $17. Strikes me as a fine touring bike for NZ roads.

And I spy a really low km 2013 version on TM for $12

You could buy two bikes for the cost of a big rig BMW

rastuscat
29th March 2018, 16:18
Good point. And you can slap ya deposit down now for a 200 plus hp V4 Ducati - the power wars are heating up.

I received a e-mail from Casbolts - they have a new VFR800 on special at $17. Strikes me as a fine touring bike for NZ roads.

And I spy a really low km 2013 version on TM for $12

You could buy two bikes for the cost of a big rig BMW

Funny, that's the issue. I have an F800 and the R1200. Thats two bikes to licence, insure, garage. Its been fine when I did it for a job, but I'm moving on and I dont want two bikes to look after any more.

I'd be keen on a VFR1200 if it had full factory luggage. I like the look of them.

AllanB
29th March 2018, 17:16
Funny, that's the issue. I have an F800 and the R1200. Thats two bikes to licence, insure, garage. Its been fine when I did it for a job, but I'm moving on and I dont want two bikes to look after any more.

I'd be keen on a VFR1200 if it had full factory luggage. I like the look of them.

Darn - you have 'good' problems!

PS - it's so much easier for us to spend your money :clap: BMW appears to be in your DNA now, it could be a lot worse.

SVboy
29th March 2018, 17:35

Hayabusa's are never pointless. Ever. The end.

AllanB
29th March 2018, 17:57
Hayabusa's are never pointless. Ever. The end.

I'm interested to see the new generation one late this year (2019 model) as it will be the 20th anniversary.

Suzukis concept release does not give much away other than a slimmer more up-to-date look (thank god).

BMWGSER
29th March 2018, 20:23

Don’t forget the 20 year old ZZR 1100 , You can walk for 28 days very quickly even on one of these old machines.

rastuscat
30th March 2018, 09:02
Don’t forget the 20 year old ZZR 1100 , You can walk for 28 days very quickly even on one of these old machines.

Before the 28 day walk laws I got caught doing warp factor 7 on an RD350LC.

That's why there's a LAMS prohibited list.

Banditbandit
9th April 2018, 10:49
160 horses.

What's not to like.

Not my cuppa tea - but if you like it - go for it.

I saw one of these last week - fell in love ... don't have $32k ..

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1367/1079/products/c18_FXFBS_R-INT-5_1024x1024.jpg?v=1503520854

Bass
10th April 2018, 14:52
Used to do a lot of work for Dick Hubbard. For a guy who got his m/c licence when in his 50's, you would be amazed at how much of the world he has seen from the back of a bike since then.
His last trip to the States, he planned to buy one of the then new waterboxer R1200 GSA's in San Francisco at the start of the trip. However the GSA had only just been released (2013) and he couldn't get one. So he bought a K1600 instead.
He didn't care for it at all - compared it to riding half a Cadillac.
He took the 1600 for its first service in Miami. There was a new GSA on the showroom floor. He rode away on it.

rastuscat
10th April 2018, 16:52
I've seen sense. It's not for me.

Scubbo
10th April 2018, 16:55
http://bmwfatalflaw.com/

AllanB
10th April 2018, 19:39

You can probably get a factory donut warmer for it.

Bass
11th April 2018, 12:17
http://bmwfatalflaw.com/

They are replacing them all.
Mine has already been done and it had no sign at all of the problem mentioned

rastuscat
7th September 2018, 08:40
Thread dredge

Bought it.

Moi
7th September 2018, 08:45

Thread dredge

Bought it.

:facepalm:

rastuscat
7th September 2018, 09:18
:facepalm:

Exactly......

WALRUS
7th September 2018, 09:31
Different strokes for different folks. Not my cup of tea, personally, but if you can afford it and like it I say go for it.

As for the weight thing, you're absolutely right. It might be a bit of an effort to do a track day on it (though quite fun, I imagine.. I'll have to borrow one to give it a go some time) but you're bang on about being able to cover long distances without losing feeling in your arse like you would on an R1 or something like that.

Ulsterkiwi
7th September 2018, 14:44
have admired one of these in the local showroom. Sat on it and was impressed how well balanced it was static. I just got a wry smile when i asked for a test ride.
Took a chap for an observed ride last weekend who has one. Immaculate. Lovely presence on the road. (the bike)
If you are going to the Nelson meeting in Feb perhaps I can get someone to distract you long enough to go for fang on it ;)

rastuscat
7th September 2018, 15:04
have admired one of these in the local showroom. Sat on it and was impressed how well balanced it was static. I just got a wry smile when i asked for a test ride.
Took a chap for an observed ride last weekend who has one. Immaculate. Lovely presence on the road. (the bike)
If you are going to the Nelson meeting in Feb perhaps I can get someone to distract you long enough to go for fang on it ;)

Fang? Fang? 160 horses. Fang?

Yeah right.

Ulsterkiwi
7th September 2018, 15:05
Fang? Fang? 160 horses. Fang?

Yeah right.

great! all settled then ;)

rastuscat
7th September 2018, 16:57
You can probably get a factory donut warmer for it.

The irony of this historic comment has just struck me.

The seat on the K16 is 5 stage heated. As it happens its being replaced, as the front elements aren't working.

So in a way, they are fitting a new 5 stage donut warmer.

$800 of their dollars. Ho hum.

MD
7th September 2018, 17:20
Thread dredge

Bought it.
Did someone out bid you for the Exxon Valdez? Just kidding we shouldn't dish others new toys. I rode one of those and it was a tad of a handful for my liking. Yeah once moving any bike becomes more manageable but sooner or later you have to park it.

It's your ride so you enjoy it. Congratulations on buying what YOU want.