PDA

View Full Version : Coffeeholics, Who makes the best?

Blackadda
12th October 2005, 21:18
Who makes the best coffee? :drinkup:

SPman
12th October 2005, 21:23
Well - none of the above!:dodge:

Back Fire
12th October 2005, 21:25

I second that....

Blackadda
12th October 2005, 21:26

Then WHO?:eek5:

cowpoos
12th October 2005, 21:30
they all are shit....

SPman
12th October 2005, 21:32
My son makes a mean cup - but thats in Wellington - Midnight Expresso in Cuba St!
The Cigana kiosk on St Johns Hill does a pretty good takeaway and the chicks in there are pretty nice, too.:drinkup:

James Deuce
12th October 2005, 21:33
SP and Cowpoos are on to it. There are no good chains or franchises when it comes to coffee. It is down to the barrista and possible the machine.

I like Havana coffee as a brand, but that encompasses the bean and the roasting process, it isn't a shop as such. Gravity and L'Affare do a good espresso roast too.

Back Fire
12th October 2005, 21:34

theres this really nice caf down on the water front just passed Mission Bay... cant remember its name though

James Deuce
12th October 2005, 21:36
My son makes a mean cup - but thats in Wellington - Midnight Expresso in Cuba St!
The Cigana kiosk on St Johns Hill does a pretty good takeaway and the chicks in there are pretty nice, too.:drinkup:

WHo's your son!!

I bought coffee there today! I split my business between Fidel's amd Midnight!

Is he the Red Haired skater dude with the goatee??

Goddess of Goof
12th October 2005, 21:43
I reckon the best coffee is the one that someone has made just for you...

when you are really cold - or miserable - or have stories to tell....

in a friendly old mug.....

with honey or brown sugar.....

and lashings of care and conversation to wash it down with.

Can't buy it anywhere :hug:

SPman
He normally works night shift or weekends - Enzo
No Goatee but he sometimes has red hair

sAsLEX
the stuff that comes in the army ration packs is just brilliant!

Dafe
12th October 2005, 21:49
They all suck on the list!

I like Mojo first, followed by Burton Hollis, followed by Illy coffee.

Ghost Lemur
12th October 2005, 21:49
Got to agree with SP.

How the hell did you come up with THOSE options?

I've yet to find the perfect cup of coffee, but the search continues.

Always wanted to get into home roasting. It's the only way to get truely fresh coffee. Helps that it's cheaper as you can buy a large quanity of green beans. IIRC they keep for about two years.

SARGE
12th October 2005, 22:24
they all suck..

does anyone make COFFEE FLAVORED COFFEE anymore??? screw this mocha-latte-soy milk chocolate sprinkled fru fru water they serve now.. just give me a double brewed percolator grind that you can stand a spoon up in and i'll be ok

James Deuce
12th October 2005, 22:25
they all suck..

does anyone make COFFEE FLAVORED COFFEE anymore??? screw this mocha-latte-soy milk chocolate sprinkled fru fru water they serve now.. just give me a double brewed percolator grind that you can stand a spoon up in and i'll be ok

Yeah, but you eat babies for an appetiser.

Us normal folk like our machiatos and long blacks. Halle Berry just flashed into my head then. Hmmmmmm......

James Deuce
12th October 2005, 22:26
He normally works night shift or weekends - Enzo
No Goatee but he sometimes has red hair

Right then, I have to work this weekend, so I'll be sure to go git some O that there Enzo coffee.

SARGE
12th October 2005, 22:48
Yeah, but you eat babies for an appetiser.

Us normal folk like our machiatos and long blacks. Halle Berry just flashed into my head then. Hmmmmmm......

i dont eat babies.. too fatty...

TODDLERS now..just like Mutton

James Deuce
12th October 2005, 22:53
Sure that's not chicken toddlers taste like big fella?

SARGE
12th October 2005, 23:36
Sure that's not chicken toddlers taste like big fella?

nah.. mutton.. tender and juicy..

i want my babyback babyback babyback ribs

Wolf
12th October 2005, 23:46
Haven't tried any of the options except Starbucks and that's shit. Won't try McCrappy on principle - they don't know what food is, how the fuck can they know what coffee is? I have no desire to drink something that relies on the cardboard container to enhance its flavour and nutritional value...

Have a friend who swears by Rocket cafes here in Hamilscum - chides me for drinking at Robert Harris. Robert Harris is OK coffee - certainly more drinkable than Starbucks.

And SARGE: WTF is this percolation shit? You don't boil coffee, it scalds the beans and ruins the flavour. Quadruple short espresso, hot milk and three heaped sugars - flavour, punch... and the spoon won't stand up because it'll have pooled at the bottom of the cup.

SARGE
13th October 2005, 00:06
And SARGE: WTF is this percolation shit? You don't boil coffee, it scalds the beans and ruins the flavour. Quadruple short espresso, hot milk and three heaped sugars - flavour, punch... and the spoon won't stand up because it'll have pooled at the bottom of the cup.

hell man .. i used to boil coffee beans in my old steel pot helmet..

what i really miss about the States is the 99 cent 20 ounce filter coffee from Speedway petrol stations..

mmmmmm

Back Fire
13th October 2005, 00:11

what i really miss about the States is the 99 cent 20 ounce filter coffee from Speedway petrol stations..

mmmmmm
thats what hobos do....

Blackadda
13th October 2005, 05:49
Got to agree with SP.

How the hell did you come up with THOSE options?

I've yet to find the perfect cup of coffee, but the search continues.

Always wanted to get into home roasting. It's the only way to get truely fresh coffee. Helps that it's cheaper as you can buy a large quanity of green beans. IIRC they keep for about two years.

Because my Nana asked me to ask you all! :banana:

What?
13th October 2005, 06:21
Define the question - are you asking "who makes the best?" or "who makes the best out of this crap selection?"
If the latter, I'd vote Gloria Jean, but that is still shite...

Badcat
13th October 2005, 06:30
i have a La Rancilio pro espresso machine and courier fresh beans weekly from Supreme in wellington.
www.coffeesupreme.co.nz
not only excellent coffee - but CONSISTANTLY excellent coffee.
the people are excellent, i order via email and it's at my door by 7am.
all the franchises are suspect, but colombus seens to have the best staff training - and so the most consistant cup across the chain.

on my planned trip from CHCH-Auck in the next week or so i'm hoping to visit most of the supreme using cafes on the way - they are generally excellent (except blast in motueka which is pants)

k

SARGE
13th October 2005, 06:55
thats what hobos do....

funny enough... thats when i WAS a hobo... sitting my little hobo self out in the desert.. with my hobo friends..our hobo rifles .. boiling up a few helmetfulls of coffee...

SPman
13th October 2005, 07:16
Whats with this coffee shit anyway - whats wrong with black billy tea - now thats a real drink!
Dark, aromatic,stand yr spoon up in, thick......
Coffee! Phwa! - trendy, poncy, towny crap!

bungbung
13th October 2005, 07:23
And WOLF: WTF is this sugar and milk shit?

No point stuffing up nice coffee by putting milk and sugar in it.

In Welly, Havana coffee, made at Fidels does the work. Midnight can be a bit random depending on who makes it.

Those sifters in Kerikeri, Max, roast some nice coffee also.

Badcat, I've got a Silvia at home.

James Deuce
13th October 2005, 07:31
In Welly, Havana coffee, made at Fidels does the work. Midnight can be a bit random depending on who makes it.

Fidels is just as spotty. Since Linka got pregnant her standards have slipped a little, and the less said about the Minx, the better. I reckon Rachel makes the best, most consistent cup at Fidel's with Roger (dodgy as he is) a close second.

vifferman
13th October 2005, 07:36
In Welly, Havana coffee, made at Fidels does the work.
I used to get my coffee beans from Havana, via my boss! He'd order a kilo a week (or more!) and I'd buy 200-250g from him.
Now I have to get lesser quality beans from Santos, or Altura, or The Art of Coffee, because my boss bought a small roaster and does his own. :crybaby:

James Deuce
13th October 2005, 07:38
There's a Havana cafe in Carterton now, called Istanbul. We tried it last weekend, but they need to work on the coffee I'm afraid, bit underdone.

bungbung
13th October 2005, 07:39
What is the likelihood of Roger remembering what you ordered?

James Deuce
13th October 2005, 07:46
What is the likelihood of Roger remembering what you ordered?

About the same as getting a shag from Rachel.

skelstar
13th October 2005, 07:52
I would say Mojo. Astoria has made the best Vienna so far, but its a bit inconsistent. Zings made a good one the other day but Im sure it was a one-off fluke.

Ghost Lemur
13th October 2005, 13:01
I would say Mojo. Astoria has made the best Vienna so far, but its a bit inconsistent. Zings made a good one the other day but Im sure it was a one-off fluke.

Ah, Zings. Used to be a chef there some years ago. Can't say the coffee was anything to write home about, but the exec chef did a bami gorang to right home about. MMmmmm. And the Kahlua cheesecake (at least when I made it) was a stunning finisher.

Back on the subject of coffee. There used to be a 24/7 cafe down here oposite the Square called Caffiends. The used to do a two hardcore drinks called a depth charge and a torpedo. They had six and eight shots of coffee respectively. Had a Torpedo once, and only once. Wasn't a bad cup, but the side-effects of grinning like a git for three hours straight made my face hurt.

jrandom
13th October 2005, 13:13
I second the stuff about the poll choices all being rubbish.

for good coffee in orcland, go to Toasted Espresso on barrys point rd, opposite holespot and cycleshot but down toward the motorway a bit. dude there, I forget his name, he supplies beans to a buncha cafes but is a bit obsessive about making coffee himself so just wander in and buy one and itll probably come free with a tutorial on how to make it properly.

he doesnt like adulterating his beloved product with milk, so youll be his friend forever if you ask for it strong and black in a leetle gay cup.

its really rather good.

just dont eat one of his 'chocolate biscuits', sometimes they're just the compressed lumps of grind that he gets out of the machine after making coffee, with icing dumped on top. sadistic bastard.

but thats the place to buy your beans if you live on the shore.

ManDownUnder
13th October 2005, 13:17
best Roaster in Auckland.... www.zekes.co.nz (http://www.zekes.co.nz/)

GREAT coffee (like rated 2nd best for entire of NZ...) and it's fair trade/shade grown - meaning those growing the stuff actually get paid - unlike most who get exploited, and get to live in poverty.

I should say - if you want to try it - mail them - they deliver in the city...!

duckman
13th October 2005, 13:49
Altezano on Symonds st - up by Khyber pass rd.... The best, no question.

Phurrball
13th October 2005, 13:49
I 532nd that about no good espresso coming from chains...

IMHO one of the best predictors of a well extracted, quality espresso is that the person who owns the outfit is either behind the machine, or that they are nearby - this seems to keep standards high.

[This, of course, assumes the basics of: quality, fresh beans; a quality, well maintained MANUAL espresso machine; a barista with a bit of experience under their belt (not getting one of the first few coffees of the day seems to help too - takes a while to get into the groove); OWNING the machine helps too - do you really think roasters give their best, freshest beans to those beholden to them due to a machine supplied by the roaster? I didn't think so...]

I like the coffee I make at home, fresh Bravo beans (couriered up from good, old Dunnos), OKish manual machine (So it ain't an E61 Rocket, but my La Pavoni does all right...except the milk, but that doesn't count!)

Best of all I like the saving, while still enjoying quality espresso - a double shot costs me around the 60 cent mark I estimate - HURRAH!

Mmmmm...Espresso...

Phurrball
13th October 2005, 13:52
he doesnt like adulterating his beloved product with milk, so youll be his friend forever if you ask for it strong and black in a leetle gay cup.

it's really rather good.

Aye - milk hides a multitude of sins. Trying a short black is the only way of telling if the coffee is actually any good.

sels1
13th October 2005, 14:15
Deluxe Cafe near WMCC comes up with the odd nice cup but the best thing about them is their food - it's yummy.

Best coffee I've had is at a friends in CHCH who used to own a Cafe - buys good beans and does the bizo at home. Bit of an expert.

Ms Piggy
13th October 2005, 15:50
None of those! Fair Trade coffee is the most delicious I've had :niceone:

Wolf
13th October 2005, 15:56
Saw a Krups espresso machine in Te Warewhare for only $200 a while back (rather than $290). I've been informed that Krups are good machines.

Must get one one day and learn to use it properly. We have an automated machine at work.

James Deuce
13th October 2005, 16:01
Krups make excellent artillery pieces too. Both Howitzers, and long range rifled jobbies.

Ixion
13th October 2005, 16:57
Sod all this grinding and percolating and water shit.

Just do as I do - eat the beans. Quickest way to get a caffeine fix. And cheaper too.

phantom
13th October 2005, 17:15
Bean Me Up in the Downtown Cinema complex in Palmie :niceone:

heavenly.talker
13th October 2005, 17:18
they all suck..

This preference suggests too many nights on shift!!

lol

Ixion
13th October 2005, 17:27
they all suck..

Agreed on coffee flavoured coffee. But I don't lkike that weak stuff that you can stand sppons up in. If it doesn't dissolve the spooin it's not strong enough.

Seriously, I was at some coffee place the other day (I wqas with someone, i don't usually go to them m'self). Asked for a coffee. they looked at me odd, "What sort of coffee" . "A COFFEE coffee. As in coffee" . " Do you want a [long string of unintelligle giggerish with a lot of --inos and --ochas] ". Finally got a coffee. Was OK , no more than that.

SARGE
13th October 2005, 17:52
This preference suggests too many nights on shift!!

lol

22 years of radio and nightclubs..last gig was 0600 - 1000 breakfast show.. staff meetings, production and personal appearences till late (7ish).. then 9 pm - 3 am at a titty club (working).. back to WEBN at 0400 for 2 hours show prep.. i used to eat chocolate covered coffee beans and gulp down double brewed coffee by the bucket

crazyxr250rider
13th October 2005, 18:07
my nana was the best on the list........

cheese
13th October 2005, 18:18
Hey I work for Espressoworkz and we are the supplier for the Saeco Espresso machines. If you want one I'll get you a good deal. we also supply coffee.

www.espressoworkz.co.nz

email me at work if you are keen

stephen@espressoworkz.co.nz

WINJA
13th October 2005, 18:20
ME AND SOME OTHER MOTORCYCLIST TOURED THE NTH ISLAND LOOKING FOR THE BEST COFFEE , IT WAS A TOSS UP BETWEEN STRAWBERRY ALARM CLOCK IN PARNELL AND BRAZIL IN K RD , THEN OUTA ORCS IT WAS ONLY WELLY THAT HAD DECENT COFFEE APART FROM ROCKET IN HAMS , IN WELLY MIDNIGHT WAS GOOD , BUT IT ALL WENT DOWN HILL THAT NIGHT WHEN WE WAS LOOKING FOR BITCHES AND ENDED UP AT CASPERS , BEWARE OF CASPERS. THIS WAS A FEW YEARS AGO SO DONT KNOW IF ITS STILL CURRENT , MILLERS SERIOUS ESPRESSO WAS OK , ATOMIC WAS OVER RATED AND CEZZANNE HAD THE BEST MUFFINS

heavenly.talker
13th October 2005, 18:46
22 years of radio and nightclubs..last gig was 0600 - 1000 breakfast show.. staff meetings, production and personal appearences till late (7ish).. then 9 pm - 3 am at a titty club (working).. back to WEBN at 0400 for 2 hours show prep.. i used to eat chocolate covered coffee beans and gulp down double brewed coffee by the bucket

Yip...I think you qualify as night shift!

What?
13th October 2005, 19:15
Ah, Zings. Used to be a chef there some years ago. Can't say the coffee was anything to write home about, but the exec chef did a bami gorang to right home about...
Zings? They don't have a branch on the Paekak hill, do they?

Dafe
13th October 2005, 19:45
Zings? They don't have a branch on the Paekak hill, do they?

Now theres a good idea! A coffee stand at the lookout! Maybe a Fuel cart!
If you're a Wellingtonian and you like coffee. If you haven't tried MOJO then I suggest you give it a go.
Mojo is on the corner of Taranaki and Wakefield street, next door to the Green Parrot.
Also, Coco Vibe Cafe up Cuba Mall does the Mojo brand coffee, and their coffees fab too, does have a cocoa flavour to it, Just opposite the Salvation Army Building which is next door to the Wellington Trawlers Fish shop. :drinkup:

Slingshot
13th October 2005, 19:56
Here's the thing, within reason it doesn't matter where you go for your fix. It's the man behind the machine that makes the difference.
If I've had a good coffee previously from a barista I'll normally order ristretto or short black, if not it's long black or americano.

As for you cretins that add sugar and/or milk, why???

SARGE
13th October 2005, 20:14
Hey I work for Espressoworkz and we are the supplier for the Saeco Espresso machines. If you want one I'll get you a good deal. we also supply coffee.

www.espressoworkz.co.nz

email me at work if you are keen

stephen@espressoworkz.co.nz

hey Cheese.. i have one of your machines at Colemans..great stuff.. that REEEEEEAlly dark stuff you have is the shizit..great first thing in the morning

anyone wanna try out Espessoworks coffee.. stop by Colemans and i'll brew ya up a cup

speights_bud
13th October 2005, 20:14
Got told during my 6 months at Bp that i made a decent cup of coffee. (back when i was Cafe Zip). My excuse to the olds now is that i don't got a proper coffee machine, so they can make their own!

Blackadda
13th October 2005, 20:32
Best coffee i found, was in most of the cafe's between Nelson & Takaka. Also have to agree re Strawberry Alarmclock, although last time I went was 5 years ago. Is it still there?

Anyway keep it coming, need to find good coffee.

parsley
13th October 2005, 20:44
Altezano on Symonds st - up by Khyber pass rd.... The best, no question.
Was just about to post the same. I stop there most mornings on the way to work for my hit.

WINJA
13th October 2005, 20:45
Best coffee i found, was in most of the cafe's between Nelson & Takaka. Also have to agree re Strawberry Alarmclock, although last time I went was 5 years ago. Is it still there?

Anyway keep it coming, need to find good coffee.
IF YOU LIKE A MILKY TYPE COFFEE I GOT IT SORTED , I HAVE A GOOD ESPRESSO MACHINE BUT I FOUND THE BEST WAY IS TO MICROWAVE YOUR MILK , USE BLUE TOP , MICROWAVING CONDENSES THE MILK OPPOSED TO STEAMING WHICH WATERS IT DOWN ,THEN PUT YOUR COFFEE INTO THE MILK THRU A PAPER FILTER WITH BOILED WATER FROM A JUG , WATCH THE COFFEE FLOW FROM THE FILTER YOU CAN USUALLY SEE THE CHANGE IN COLOUR WHEN IT OVER EXTRACTS, STOP POURING THE WATER THEN , I DONT BELIEVE BOILING WATER SCALDS THE BEANS BULLSHIT CAUSE THE BEANS ARE PRETTY HOT WHEN ROASTED ANY WAY.
THERES A LOT OF WANKING RE COFFEE

parsley
13th October 2005, 20:48
Yup, still there. I quite often go on Saturday for my breakfast - very nice bacon, eggs and fried potatoes. Seem to be the only biker in there, though.

skelstar
13th October 2005, 22:16
Mojo is on the corner of Taranaki and Wakefield street, next door to the Green Parrot.
Dude, itsnt Mojo on the end of the old bank arcade? Cnr Willis and Lambton Quay?

bungbung
14th October 2005, 08:13
Dude, itsnt Mojo on the end of the old bank arcade? Cnr Willis and Lambton Quay?

Mofo Coffee Cartel, Corner of Taranaki and Wakefield.

www.mojocoffeecartel.com

Wolf
14th October 2005, 08:39
IF YOU LIKE A MILKY TYPE COFFEE I GOT IT SORTED , I HAVE A GOOD ESPRESSO MACHINE BUT I FOUND THE BEST WAY IS TO MICROWAVE YOUR MILK , USE BLUE TOP ,
That's what I do at work, then give it a quick blast of steam to froth it a little.

MICROWAVING CONDENSES THE MILK OPPOSED TO STEAMING WHICH WATERS IT DOWN ,
Yep. Especially if steaming it to a decent temperature from refrigerated.

I DONT BELIEVE BOILING WATER SCALDS THE BEANS BULLSHIT CAUSE THE BEANS ARE PRETTY HOT WHEN ROASTED ANY WAY.

True. I think people say "it scalds the beans" for want of a better term. What I think happens is the hotter water allows different chemicals, oils etc in the coffee to be released from the ground beans into the drink - just like different brewing techniques release different chemicals or different amounts of the chemicals. It is all a matter of personal taste: Judging by what author Larry Niven writes in his novels, his ideal coffee has the flavour and caffeine but none of the oils - the ultimate filter. Another bloke I talked to prefers plunger coffee - all the oils he can get.

Coffee made with boiling water does taste different to coffee made with 80 degree water - just as plunger coffee tastes different to espresso, filter coffee, percolated coffee etc.

What it boils down to is: what do you like? And an "ideal" coffee to me might taste like shit to someone else.

THERES A LOT OF WANKING RE COFFEE
Yep.

jrandom
14th October 2005, 09:16
anyone wanna try out Espessoworks coffee.. stop by Colemans and i'll brew ya up a cup

my only problem with the EspressoWorkz machines is that after a bit of heavy usage they start tasting foul; all that intricite machinery on the inside needs regular proper cleaning.

personally in an workshop/office/whatever situation I'd just go for a $300 Krups or Breville number with a separate grinder, the minions could just learn to use it and its easy to avoid getting gunked up.

EspressoWorkz beans are pretty good, though.

cheese
14th October 2005, 11:41
Cheers Sarge - I hooked you guys up the other day with a few bag of beans for all your kind service and putting up with my stupid questions.

Fish -

The machines if cleaned properly will operate with out foul taste. It's all depends on the Coffee you use too. Make sure you clean your Brew Group weekly under the hot water tap to get rid of old coffee grinds which will taint your coffee. This maybe your issue. If not give us a call and we can service your machine.

In regards to manual machines, you spend $300, you get $300 worth of quality. It’s like buying a $2000 Chinese bike instead of a $10,000 Jap one. They have to cut corners and cost somewhere. And I tell you where....

With the likes of the cheaper brands (Chinese in particular) they use aluminum for the heating casings. It's a cheap material and NOT scale resistant. Plus if you Google aluminum and Alzheimer’s see what you get. Have a look here

http://www.google.co.nz/search?hl=en&q=aluminum+and+alzheimer%27s&spell=1

So if you want a manual machine, get one that has a STAINLESS STEEL boiler. This will give you a boiler that will last and that won't give you possible long term health problems....

They also use cheaper materials in the portafilter too like aluminum.

If you want a manual machine, we have a the Via Venezia at a RRP of $599. If anyone is keen I can do a bit better on the price (or on any of the other machines)

Cheers

Cheese

The_Dover
14th October 2005, 11:43
Moccona, just cos they have hot chicks in their adverts.

Fact is it tastes like shit but I'm an ad mans dream. Stick a bird in her scanties and I'm sold.......

SARGE
14th October 2005, 11:52
EspressoWorkz beans are pretty good, though.

the Dark moon is the best.. :eek5: :niceone:

jrandom
14th October 2005, 12:21
The machines if cleaned properly will operate with out foul taste. It's all depends on the Coffee you use too. Make sure you clean your Brew Group weekly under the hot water tap to get rid of old coffee grinds which will taint your coffee. This maybe your issue.

could well have been.

If not give us a call and we can service your machine.

dont have one at the moment. I did get one in at a previous place of work. you've probably met me IRL if you've been working at EW more than a year or two. nowadays I have to go round the corner and mortgage my soul at the local poncy cafe.

the barrista knows what I like though and always interrupts his order list to have it ready by the time I've finished paying at the counter. he's such a sweetie.

if you want a manual machine, get one that has a STAINLESS STEEL boiler.

interesting. I will investigate the specs on the one I have at home.

cheese
14th October 2005, 13:34
That's cool. I've only been here a few months.

You must have your local baritsa wrapped around your little finger!!

If you want a new machine, just call us and ask for Stephen.

0800 377 767

cheese
14th October 2005, 13:35
Oh and next time you order sarge, make sure you ask for dark moon, you were getting soul.

SARGE
14th October 2005, 13:42
Oh and next time you order sarge, make sure you ask for dark moon, you were getting soul.

yea.. im all over that

Mooch
16th October 2005, 03:37
Who makes the best coffee? :drinkup:
If this poll was for who makes the worst coffee then based on the standard here I'd vote for London as the worst coffee makers on the planet.

James Deuce
16th October 2005, 03:41
If this poll was for who makes the worst coffee then based on the standard here I'd vote for London as the worst coffee makers on the planet.

I second that.

Mooch - there is a Turkish place round in Vauxhall under the railway there in a shop built into the viaduct the railway is on - best Espresso in London. Decent machine and they get their beans weekly from Turkey.

Cross over the Waterloo Bridge (Parliament will be on the other side of the river now) and walk down Lambeth Walk and just past M15 it's on the left.

The cafe in Borders Bookshop on Oxford St isn't too bad either. I think it's on the 4th floor.

Mooch
16th October 2005, 04:05
I second that.

Mooch - there is a Turkish place round in Vauxhall under the railway there in a shop built into the viaduct the railway is on - best Espresso in London. Decent machine and they get their beans weekly from Turkey.

Cross over the Waterloo Bridge (Parliament will be on the other side of the river now) and walk down Lambeth Walk and just past M15 it's on the left.

The cafe in Borders Bookshop on Oxford St isn't too bad either. I think it's on the 4th floor.

THANK YOU :wavey: :wavey:

The best place I've found so far in london is two hours by Eurostar from Waterloo station ..... Paris

Dafe
16th October 2005, 05:25
Hey Skelstar, Mojos must be at the old bank too then. They're bound to be in a few places. The store I use is CNR Taranaki/Wakefield.

White trash
16th October 2005, 07:44
Jimbo makes the best coffee. I know this because I've woken up many a time at his and his good ladys house, with a cunt of a hangover and been offered the cafine of the gods, only to fix me right up.

skelstar
16th October 2005, 09:07
Hey Skelstar, Mojos must be at the old bank too then. They're bound to be in a few places. The store I use is CNR Taranaki/Wakefield.
Yeah you are right actuallly. I saw the Wakefield one last night :).

parsley
16th October 2005, 20:23
Wow, you've been to every cafe and coffee shop in London?

Jantar
16th October 2005, 20:34
I don't think I've seen any of those brands in the poll on the shelves at our local supermarket. Perhaps they are only available in Auckland.

:whistle:

James Deuce
16th October 2005, 20:39
Wow, you've been to every cafe and coffee shop in London?

There aren't that many to chose from. They simply don't do it. Go to Leicester Square. Check out the neat cafes ringing the square. Not a freaking one has an espresso machine. They'll give you a Moccona that will strip the enamel off your teeth though.

The staple of cafes in London is tea. The current height of "class" is formica table tops and vinyl chairs, you know like Deluxe in Wellington has been doing for 15 years, though only because the Art Deco 2nd hand shop next door gave them some crappy furniture they couldn't sell.

We have a cafe culture here. England has a Pub culture. They are quite different things, and you don't understand how much you take your "own" city culture for granted until you travel.

parsley
16th October 2005, 20:47
There aren't that many to chose from. They simply don't do it. Go to Leicester Square. Check out the neat cafes ringing the square. Not a freaking one has an espresso machine. They'll give you a Moccona that will strip the enamel off your teeth though.

Well duh. Leicester Square is where we sell overpriced shite to tourists. You don't go there if you live in London. It'd be a bit like thinking Queen Street was the best that Auckland had to offer!

The staple of cafes in London is tea. The current height of "class" is formica table tops and vinyl chairs, you know like Deluxe in Wellington has been doing for 15 years, though only because the Art Deco 2nd hand shop next door gave them some crappy furniture they couldn't sell.
Hey, if the tea's good who cares about the furniture?

We have a cafe culture here. England has a Pub culture. They are quite different things, and you don't understand how much you take your "own" city culture for granted until you travel.
Precisely why I ended up in NZ. Although if you want real cafe culture try the Mediterranean end of Europe.

James Deuce
16th October 2005, 20:53
Thanks for being a patronising shit Parsley. You didn't say you were from there.

People wonder why I don't like Poms as a habit.

parsley
16th October 2005, 20:57
Thanks for being a patronising shit Parsley. You didn't say you were from there.
No thanks required, it's a pleasure.

It's on my profile. Do I need to announce it in every post I make?

James Deuce
16th October 2005, 21:32
No thanks required, it's a pleasure.

It's on my profile. Do I need to announce it in every post I make?

Nope, but in context it would have made a little sense.

I don't have the "must view poster's profile before responding" relfex turned on habitually.

parsley
16th October 2005, 22:18
Nope, but in context it would have made a little sense.
Doesn't change the context of my original post. I was merely pointing out that saying every single place in London serves bad coffee is a sweeping statement. If Mooch'd said that most places in central London serve bad coffee then I'd have agreed wholeheartedly.

Mooch
17th October 2005, 01:31
Doesn't change the context of my original post. I was merely pointing out that saying every single place in London serves bad coffee is a sweeping statement. If Mooch'd said that most places in central London serve bad coffee then I'd have agreed wholeheartedly.

Hey Parsley ,
I'm talking averages here , for every dozen cups here you might get one that's up to an OK standard in NZ , Can't say I've been to every coffee house , The place is overrun with starbucks shite and Prat Manager / Cafe Neo .I've tried north/south east and west london , I'm working down at Canary Wharf and have given up on coffee. Coffee bean choice here is on the weak side. Lucky for me last night , I had a coffee at a new local Itailian , what a coffee !. The kind of place that put's in a couple of full beans into the cup for extra flavour, like being on the Tce in Wellington or Fordells on Cuba. I try and find places that use Illy beans , but hard to find.
Mind you , I still haven't found anywhere that knows what a flat white is , apart from an Aussie staffed Cafe in Scotland. Your right of course about the standard in other parts of Europe. Hopefully Prague can make a good cup, will find out next week.

avgas
17th October 2005, 05:35
V and 'No-Dose' make me look like a zombie.....on a frequent basis, like weekdays

Phurrball
17th October 2005, 08:52
I shan't comment on the quality of the coffee in London...there was very little available to actually make any assessment!

When I was in that part of the world, and Ireland, finding an espresso machine at all was about as likely as finding a needle in a continent worth of hay-stacks...

Gutting. :mellow:

jrandom
17th October 2005, 12:20
... I don't like Poms as a habit.

good point.

I tried wearing parsley over my head in a convent once.

bad idea.

perhaps I shouldn't have done it on Friday.

sAsLEX
17th October 2005, 16:16

i like my steel cups better!

parsley
17th October 2005, 17:38
I tried wearing parsley over my head in a convent once.
That's not a bad habit, it's a wimple. Daft cow.

jrandom
17th October 2005, 18:32
That's not a bad habit, it's a wimple. Daft cow.

wimples are a subset of habits. patronising pom.

SARGE
17th October 2005, 18:36

wtf is a widget then??

im so confused

i hate this moch-latte-chino shit .. i realy do... screw the cafe culture and gimme a hot cuppa joe and a cigar

SARGE
17th October 2005, 18:40
i like my steel cups better!

right on!!! old school.. got one just like it :headbang:

nuttin like that AL-U-MIN-UM flavOR first thing in the AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish

wtf is a widget then??

im so confused

i hate this moch-latte-chino shit .. i realy do... screw the cafe culture and gimme a hot cuppa joe and a cigar folks..)

here's how i like mine.......64 ounces of black gold (thats 1.9 litres .. i can do 3 of these..*twitch*

parsley
17th October 2005, 20:04
Horsecrap. Wimples are headwear, habits are clothing. Or do you normally wear your helmet on your arse?

jrandom
18th October 2005, 08:38
Horsecrap. Wimples are headwear, habits are clothing.

headwear is clothing.

consider yourself threatened with use of the OED here. I'm game.

Or do you normally wear your helmet on your arse?

well, I would, if it were more worth protecting than my face.

actually, come to think of it...

vifferman
18th October 2005, 08:47
I know one thing - the troll inside our new "coffee" machine at work doesn't!!
Blardy hell (perhaps that's where it originated) - it has what looks like beans in the hopper at the top, but that's just to fool you. It's actually plumbed into a factory somewhere, and dispensing their industrial waste. Even the "milk" appears to be some strange, white, non-dairy concoction. Probably a fair amount of detergent in it.
It appears to give me the same sort of dull ache in my temples that coffee does though, but none of the other symptoms...

EDIT:
Phark!!
I wish I hadn't drunk that! :crazy: :puke:

:rofl:
18th October 2005, 08:49
none of those options work
I make the best coffee on venus

SARGE
18th October 2005, 11:01
none of those options work
I make the best coffee on venus

apparently, the Venusian Coffee has a few hallucinigenic properties

i'll have a double with beebleblax milk please

:rofl:
18th October 2005, 11:03
apparently, the Venusian Coffee has a few hallucinigenic properties

i'll have a double with beebleblax milk please

Its true its true. I can UPS it to you but it will likely be cold by the time it gets to you, best use the New Zealand postal service, PM me your address and I'll get one out to you.

Cheers

cruzer
18th October 2005, 11:05
ZEKES

www.zekes.co.nz

Phurrball
18th October 2005, 12:05
wtf is a widget then??

Is that not the thing that puts the creamy head on the Guinness in cans?

here's how i like mine.......64 ounces of black gold (thats 1.9 litres .. i can do 3 of these..*twitch*

That coffee cup is sick Sarge!

I won't be dusting off the demitasse if I'm ever making you a brew then eh? I'll just do you a sextuple extraction into a small saucepan...steel of course...

SARGE
18th October 2005, 12:26
That coffee cup is sick Sarge!

I won't be dusting off the demitasse if I'm ever making you a brew then eh? I'll just do you a sextuple extraction into a small saucepan...steel of course...

bring me a bucket :headbang:

Hitcher
18th October 2005, 15:56
Aucklanders and coffee. Sheesh. Surprised you didn't have Nescafe as a poll choice...

Ixion
18th October 2005, 16:00
Aucklanders and coffee. Sheesh. Surprised you didn't have Nescafe as a poll choice...

I'll go with that. 4 large spoonfulls of Nestle's best, two of sugar, and it's all good.

Blackadda
18th October 2005, 18:27
ZEKES

www.zekes.co.nz (http://www.zekes.co.nz)

MIght have to give it a go, live out Sth, so might be worth a trip if/when they open.

Cheers :headbang:

parsley
18th October 2005, 22:49
consider yourself threatened with use of the OED here,
What are you going to do, throw it at me?

I'm game.
Cool. When does the season open?

Wolf
18th October 2005, 22:57
Cool. When does the season open?
Where you been, Parsley? It's always open season on Fish around here...

... if not, 90% of the KBers are in a power of shit with the Game Warden...

Wolf
18th October 2005, 23:00
I'm game.
As one actually has to hunt game, the proper term would be "target"...

:devil2:

cheese
19th October 2005, 10:59
Hey Sarge, If you want some darker stuff we've got an even stronger brew...

SARGE
19th October 2005, 11:22
Hey Sarge, If you want some darker stuff we've got an even stronger brew...

ooooo... tell me more Obi-wan

cheese
19th October 2005, 19:23
Whoops I did give you the strongest one. My bad.

I can ask our roaster if he has any other stronger ones though.....

Just hit the small button twice when you make a cup and when it's done repeat the process 3 more times.

that will give you your daily recomended coffee dose in a day......

SARGE
19th October 2005, 21:00
Whoops I did give you the strongest one. My bad.

I can ask our roaster if he has any other stronger ones though.....

Just hit the small button twice when you make a cup and when it's done repeat the process 3 more times.

that will give you your daily recomended coffee dose in a day......

have you SEEN my cup?

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showpost.php?p=380762&postcount=97

Speedy
19th October 2005, 21:19
i work for wildbean cafe and i have 2 say most of the time its shit just like everywhere else but u do get the ocasional barister that can make a dam good coffe ...........also helps if machine is clean and fresh grinds etc i can make good coffe but only when i want 2 the only way 2 get good coffe is 2 be really nice and chaty 2 the coffe maker of it will be 2 hot and taste like shit but shhhhhh i didnt tell u the k

parsley
20th October 2005, 13:13
u do get the ocasional barister that can make a dam good coffe
Not sure I would drink anything a lawyer made. If it wasn't poisoned it would be too bitter and too expensive!

Cibby
30th October 2005, 02:34
Has anyone else had Kokako Coffee..

It is organic espressio made by some weird guy in the middle of aotea square.

it is almost orgasmic!!

however.. there is a cafe in Kaiwaka called Europhia....

They use organic espression beans AND organic milk.. i swear... the most incredible experience...

Coffee is an institution.. it is the lube on my bike chain of life....

parsley
30th October 2005, 02:37
Has anyone else had Kokako Coffee..
Is that the incredibly expensive stuff that's been shat by a weasel or something?

Cibby
30th October 2005, 02:39
Is that the incredibly expensive stuff that's been shat by a weasel or something?

oh thou who arnt uneducated.. may you be struck down for your blasphmous words...

parsley
30th October 2005, 02:40
oh thou who arnt uneducated..
You'll get struck down for using double negatives like that. :dodge:

Cibby
30th October 2005, 02:43
You'll get struck down for using double negatives like that. :dodge:

yes i did notice that.. however i was hoping that no one would pick up on my terrible fopar..

Oh well.

You will still be struck down for drinking bad coffee..

Move towards the light.....

parsley
30th October 2005, 02:45
You will still be struck down for drinking bad coffee..

Move towards the light.....
Who says I drink bad coffee? Eh?

Just because I don't like mine with half a pint of frothy milk in it to completely obscure the taste of the damned coffee. :drinkup:

Cibby
30th October 2005, 02:51
Who says I drink bad coffee? Eh?

Just because I don't like mine with half a pint of frothy milk in it to completely obscure the taste of the damned coffee. :drinkup:

oh.. so you like the dark side...

Unfortuantly MY blonde hair is a halo of goodness and light..

I also should drink tui

parsley
30th October 2005, 02:55
Unfortuantly MY blonde hair is a halo of goodness and light..
Your blonde hair is a bowl cut. At least mine has length!

Cibby
30th October 2005, 02:58
Your blonde hair is a bowl cut. At least mine has length!

pfft.. you are jealous of my silky straight locks..

Frizz boy..

ohh. .now this is getting personal..

I never thought that my first fight with another blonde with be with a guy..
:weird: :weird:

parsley
30th October 2005, 03:08
I never thought that my first fight with another blonde with be with a guy..
:weird: :weird:
This isn't a fight. Get a paddling pool full of jelly and wear that bikini from last Monday and it'll be a fight.

Cibby
30th October 2005, 03:15
This isn't a fight. Get a paddling pool full of jelly and wear that bikini from last Monday and it'll be a fight.

so what you actually mean is for me to play around in a pool of jelly in my bikini from last week and you sit with buggie on the side with a beer enjoying the show.

haha yeah right..

parsley
30th October 2005, 03:16
so what you actually mean is for me to play around in a pool of jelly in my bikini from last week and you sit with buggie on the side with a beer enjoying the show.

haha yeah right..
No, I'll be wrestling with you in the jelly. Buggie can referee.

(On that note I'm going to bed to dream happy jelly dreams). :devil2:

Cibby
30th October 2005, 03:28
No, I'll be wrestling with you in the jelly. Buggie can referee.

(On that note I'm going to bed to dream happy jelly dreams). :devil2:

buggie is great with a camera as well.

i mean

*cough

or so i heard.. :bleh:

Badcat
30th October 2005, 05:17
Coffee is an institution.. it is the lube on my bike chain of life....

coffee IS the chain.

NC
30th October 2005, 07:49
You forgot MOJO coffee, it's a big thing here in Wellington :whistle: :devil2:

WINJA
30th October 2005, 10:47
You forgot MOJO coffee, it's a big thing here in Wellington :whistle: :devil2:
IS THAT TATTOO MEANT TO BE A VAGINA ON FIRE?

NC
30th October 2005, 15:21
IS THAT TATTOO MEANT TO BE A VAGINA ON FIRE?
Yep... :niceone: It's representing the plight of VD that I got from you. It's still burns when I wee.

WINJA
30th October 2005, 16:44
Yep... :niceone: It's representing the plight of VD that I got from you. It's still burns when I wee.
LOOKS LIKE SOMETHING FROM BADTATS.COM , I SERIOUSLY HOPE THATS NOT YOUR NEW TAT

NC
31st October 2005, 15:50
LOOKS LIKE SOMETHING FROM BADTATS.COM , I SERIOUSLY HOPE THATS NOT YOUR NEW TAT
It's not :eyepoke: