PDA

View Full Version : Taupo LAMS Only Track Day

sidecar bob
1st May 2018, 09:34
LAMS riders, it's your turn to have a track day all to yourselves, pay per session, so if after one session it turns out to be not really your thing, you haven't had to waste money paying for a whole day.
There will be expierenced riders & racers there to assist with any advice or questions, plus shadow riders, to lead or follow as required to help you get in the groove.
You can also go next door to the club circuit & pay $10 for three laps on a sidecar of your choice, to complete a day you won't forget for a long time.
Maybe some clever person could repost it in a larger format. I haven't got past thumbnails yet. Thanks.

Akzle
1st May 2018, 17:13
https://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=336494&d=1525124079

s'orright. that one is a bit trickier than just [ i m g ] tags.

Laava
1st May 2018, 17:41
My 2c, do it LAMs riders, do it now! This is a great track to ride on and if this is your first track time, you will learn a heap of stuff! If you go out and feel out of sorts in the first session, this is normal, the second session will have a permanent grin on ya face!
Totally recommend!
Sorry Bob, can't help with the upsize thing...

HEsch
1st May 2018, 18:19
So keen, but already got plans :(

sidecar bob
1st May 2018, 18:36
I'm taking my wife's 84 GSXR400 & my Yamaha majesty scooter as a shadow rider. (Scooters welcome)
Even the shadow riders have got to take LAMS bikes, although it's quite possible there may be a very special Honda there for people to drool over, weather permitting.
There will be a few Hyosung cup 250cc track bikes available & anyone that thinks that this may be the way forward for them will be invited to try one out compliments of Spectrum Motorcycles or Carl Cox Motorsport.

slofox
1st May 2018, 18:54
This is a most excellent idea. (hmmm now where could I get a lams bike for a bit...)

GazzaH
1st May 2018, 19:11
Whoever organized this event "gets it".

Fantastic fun by the look of it.

Scubbo
1st May 2018, 21:17
such a sweet opportunity !

sidecar bob
2nd May 2018, 09:51
Thanks Ax, your bling button needs fixing.:innocent:

Mike.Gayner
2nd May 2018, 09:57
Really wish I had access to a ute/van to get my A7 down there for the weekend :(

sidecar bob
3rd May 2018, 08:35
Bumping this for the LAMS owners on here.

Mike.Gayner
3rd May 2018, 10:30
This is a ridiculously great value event, I'm genuinely pissed that I can't make it. I hope more events like this are run in the future.

sidecar bob
3rd May 2018, 15:11
This is a ridiculously great value event, I'm genuinely pissed that I can't make it. I hope more events like this are run in the future.

Get a couple of chums together & split the cost.
https://www.rentalcarstauranga.co.nz/shop/rental-vans/x_cat/00291.html

Voltaire
4th May 2018, 20:23
Some say Sidecar Bob may turn up on his Motocompo
(photo is some years old)
https://scontent.fakl1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/31855150_1634715599979573_8823700251647934464_o.jp g?_nc_cat=0&oh=386fea49bcaab1b22a4d04d8bc33d4ae&oe=5B95C88B

sidecar bob
4th May 2018, 21:35
Some say Sidecar Bob may turn up on his Motocompo
(photo is some years old)

Oi, my one is red, but it is LAMS approved.
Here's tomorrow's ride, compliments of my lovely wife.
Also, anyone wanting to see a RCV213 Honda Moto GP bike in the flesh should probably drop out to the track tomorrow too.;)

jellywrestler
5th May 2018, 00:02
Get a couple of chums together & split the cost.
https://www.rentalcarstauranga.co.nz/shop/rental-vans/x_cat/00291.html

lot more cleaning costs if some 'chums' rented wagons like these i'd imagine.

sidecar bob
6th May 2018, 10:27
What a fantastic day we had yesterday. I think this email just in this morning from a participant with a KTM 200 Duke sums up the day nicely.
Watch out for this event to return soon, with support classes as requested!

Hi guys.
Just want to thank you for the amazing day you put on yesterday. We were very impressed by how all the officials were so supportive and helpful. You all did a fantastic job. It was an amazing opportunity for me as a rider of only 6 months experience. I felt safe and relaxed the whole day.
I felt like a kid buying tickets for the best ride at the funpark!!
Thank You also for letting my husband take his Mille S2 round with me for a couple of rounds. It made the day more memorable and special for me.
(Just and idea, perhaps you could easily fit in a 4th class for support riders? I.e hubbies dads etc??) We will definitely be back to support your day when you run another one.
Thankyou all again
Robyn (with the very big smile on her face)

Mike.Gayner
6th May 2018, 10:47
What was the turnout like? Great idea, PLEASE run more events like this!

Also bring back test days!

sidecar bob
6th May 2018, 11:04
:
What was the turnout like? Great idea, PLEASE run more events like this!

Also bring back test days!
Not sure on exact numbers, but there was sufficient to make it worthwhile.
I had a young chap on a red ninja 300 in my tow for most of the day & it was rewarding watching him getting it together & improving each session albeit in my mirrors.
I was quite surprised by the performance of our antique (1984) GSXR400 compared to modern stuff, although I was riding it as if the plastics were irreplaceable & my wife would kill me if they were damaged.
I saw some guy rolling around on a Honda RCV213 Moto GP type bike in the lunch break too. :niceone:
We will not just limit it to LAMS next time, as a heap of people have one LAMS rider in the family as Robyn pointed out.
We are learning what works best, with the emphasis being on making it a friendly, can do team enviroment.
At the end of the day the crew including some current super bike riders tried the short circuit in reverse direction. The consensus is that attempts must be made to configure the track to run that way as a future option, although probably not for these novice/LAMS days.

Grumph
6th May 2018, 12:36
Well done and congratulations on it's success.

Re running the track in reverse direction. I've been through this with bits of Ruapuna. It comes down to the current situation where Motorsport NZ (cars) will only approve a circuit for use in one direction. As MNZ (bikes) work under their umbrella, no MNZ steward will approve reverse direction use now.

If it's not approved, you could well run into insurance and ACC coverage problems in the case of an accident. Even for a track day without MNZ permit, you'd still need insurance incl Public Liability. it's a can of worms.

I enjoyed the old days where you'd run one reverse direction race at a club day.

jellywrestler
6th May 2018, 14:17
i run track days back last century on the long track at manfield for several years. to spice it up one day after lunch we changed direction, worst thing i think ever did and we red flagged it and changed back
normally people take a little time to get up to speed, but as they'd all done several sessions and got fast in the morning, then thrown onto a new track there were quite a few running off the track, me included.
a case your eyes are bigger than your stomach type of scenario.