PDA

View Full Version : Good road boots?

R6_kid
13th October 2005, 13:57
As i have a new bike my dad wants me to get all my gear up to scratch, and as i already have new leathers and gloves the only thing i really need is boots. The ones that f/f gave me for free way back have held up sweet but are getting a tad tight.

So far i've got my eyes on some Sidi Vertebra 2 boots in black/white/silver...

Can i get some poeples recommendations on what they have and when you use them? (just for weekend riding or whatever)

I will probably (would like to) end up wearing the around uni aswell as i commute daily, but would also like something that looks decent too!
:niceone:

tracyprier
13th October 2005, 14:04
Well I just bought a pair of Sidi Strada Tepor. Very impressed with the build quality and VERY comfortable...well for a bike boot anyway. Fully waterproof and made of Lorica not leather so lighter and need less looking after (apparantly) than leather.

I think you'll find that being a race boot the Vertebra is not waterproof...could be wrong about that though.

Well anyway, I like the Strada lots :)

R6_kid
13th October 2005, 14:08
hmm look nice... do they come in any colour other than black?

GR81
13th October 2005, 14:49
I brought some Gaerne SP1 Aquatech boots from Cycletreads a few weeks ago... $280 and im very impressed with them...

http://www.gaerne.com/gfx/big/gsp1_aqua.jpg

James Deuce
13th October 2005, 15:05
Oxtar TCS Sport waterproof for sports riding.

Styl Martin City Bike for commuting and noodling.

Lou Girardin
13th October 2005, 15:56
Stylmartin SBK3 reduced to $287.00 inc.
Oxtar TCS GTX down to $479.20 inc.
Oxtar EVO X Replica down to $439.20 inc.
At AMPS Saturday only.
Limited sizes.
What's yours?

Gremlin
13th October 2005, 16:21
hey Lou is the SBK3 $248?? Please please tell me it is...

yep, Gareth, depends kinda on what you want to spend...

but Lou has ordered in the Stylmartin SBK3 for me... haven't fully tested it yet, but it is very comfortable, has most of the features of more expensive boots, bar that extension bracing sorta stuff

edit: If you guys want your stuff from Lou on the open day, you have to tell him beforehand to order it in. Prices are on the open day only

Random
13th October 2005, 17:41
So far i've got my eyes on some Sidi Vertebra 2 boots in black/white/silver...

:niceone:

I am on my second pair of these, great boots, and they look cool !!

Ricky

SPman
13th October 2005, 17:45
But not good for walking around all day, in.

texmo
13th October 2005, 18:20
I got some Sidi jungle tepor boots I waerthem all day and walk around and shit they are mint......

2_SL0
13th October 2005, 20:22
What sort of time frame should u get out of road boots, (sports) Is there anything you can stick on the out side to stop thing slike the gear shift wearing on them.

FROSTY
13th October 2005, 20:29
Mate -I wouldn't get verts for your use--dont get me wrong--fantastic boots
but bloody uncomfortable to walk around in.

Firefight
13th October 2005, 20:36
hey Gareth, if there's anything left of the old boot's make sure you hand then on to another broken arse kb youngin.

F/F.

R6_kid
13th October 2005, 20:57
hey Gareth, if there's anything left of the old boot's make sure you hand then on to another broken arse kb youngin.

F/F.

that was the plan... im just not finished with them yet!

loosebruce
13th October 2005, 21:01
Sidi verts are a good boot Gareth, i've had mine for 5 years now, crashed heaps in em, wear em all the time when riding, comfy, not all that waterproof but who gives, i'm due for new ones soon though, the new Vertigo's are cool, but the Oxtar boots are the bizzo me reckons, pity white would get so messy.
But a set of Vert 2's should be cheap as chips, cheaper then the budget Vertigo, so if it's a good price go for it, if they are still charging full price haggle em down, as you could get the new model at that price.

loosebruce
13th October 2005, 21:03
Mate -I wouldn't get verts for your use--dont get me wrong--fantastic boots
but bloody uncomfortable to walk around in.

Dont know what you're on about, must have something to do with being over 40, mine are sweet for comfort.

limbimtimwim
13th October 2005, 21:03
I will probably (would like to) end up wearing the around uni aswell as i commute daily, but would also like something that looks decent too!
:niceone:People will probably yell at me for suggesting this but for walking around uni AND that brief ride.. Get some Doc Martins boots. Yeah yeah, I know, no ankle support, your leg will get crushed under the bike, not as safe as real boots, but they are mostly water proof and if they are not steel caps you'll probably get to keep your toes..

Check they are not made in China, I have some Chinese 'docs and they are not as good as the English ones.

Also, if they are clean you can wear them out on a Friday night on the piss :-)

loosebruce
13th October 2005, 21:28
Yell, yell, yell, nah whatever aye, i used to ride in jandals, hurts shifting up though.

DOC's nah flag that shit and buy some jonny rebs. Lou will sell ya a pair of them too.

pritch
13th October 2005, 21:49
Boots made by any of the major brands should be of acceptable quality and last
well if you look after them. I have a pair of touring boots and a pair of "urban" boots, both are allegedly waterproof and so far I have no evidence to the contrary. As it happens both are Style Martin but it just worked out that way.

If you are commuting, it usually pays to have a pair of sneakers or whatever at the business end:
A) the sneakers will be more comfortable and,
B) they should be dry.

I've seen several references to the full plastic boots making fairly major squeaking sounds so if you don't mind walking like C3PO to the accompaniment of your own private chorus, plastic race boots would be fine.

A visit to Lou on Saturday could be worth the trip.

FROSTY
13th October 2005, 21:49
Dont know what you're on about, must have something to do with being over 40, mine are sweet for comfort.
Are you serious?? bloody hell my feet hurt like hell after wearing my verts all day.

loosebruce
13th October 2005, 22:12
Are you serious?? bloody hell my feet hurt like hell after wearing my verts all day.

Yeah i quite like mine, i wouldn't run around all day though, best $500 pair of itailan leather shoes i've ever brought (the only ones infact).

Must suck being old Tony, SP would be able to sympathise with you

Zapf
14th October 2005, 00:22
Have a pair of Sidi Vertebra Tepor... almost wear them on a daily basics.. .but I leave a pair of normal shoes at the office...

not good for walking it but great for riding it. I would suggest a more street style of boots for going to Uni in. As for weekend riding they'll be A1

Lou Girardin
14th October 2005, 07:14
We've only had the Stylmartin range a short time, but the consistant comment is how comfortable they are even from new.

texmo
14th October 2005, 08:00
Sidi jungle tepour I wear them for around 11 hours a day, They are mint took me 2 days to wear them in, They ARE water proof as in when it rain my feet never get wet.... ever. They has all the protection you could want they are about $300 from motomail, perfect for you. I walk around for 1/2 the time and ride for 1/2 in a day and they are mint as....

vifferman
14th October 2005, 08:16
We've only had the Stylmartin range a short time, but the consistant comment is how comfortable they are even from new.
I've got Style Martian Stradas, and they were brilliantly comfortable right from the start. Although they're only "water resistant" (i.e., you can't stand in water up to the top), the only times they've let water in was when it ran down the seams of my leather trousers...
The reason I bought them and not Sidis, is they're leather (not plastic), they have adjustments both sides of the boot, and ankle cups on both sides, which none of the other boots had. I was very grateful for this latter point the first time I crash-tested them, and had my leg crushed between an Audi and the VFR750. They've subsequently been crash tested one more time, and fared very well then too (needed an application of shoe polish to the toe where it was scraped on the road between bike and tarmac.
I got free merino wool sox with them, which I've never worn, as they're warm and cosy without them.

marty
14th October 2005, 09:17
I brought some Gaerne SP1 Aquatech boots from Cycletreads a few weeks ago... $280 and im very impressed with them...

http://www.gaerne.com/gfx/big/gsp1_aqua.jpg

i got the same from boyd honda last week, for about $30 cheaper, and a free t-shirt thrown in!

rode with them in auckland on tuesday - took them for a high speed test - they are very comfy and just as well made as the $500 ones.

marty
14th October 2005, 09:20
People will probably yell at me for suggesting this but for walking around uni AND that brief ride.. Get some Doc Martins boots. Yeah yeah, I know, no ankle support, your leg will get crushed under the bike, not as safe as real boots, but they are mostly water proof and if they are not steel caps you'll probably get to keep your toes..

Check they are not made in China, I have some Chinese 'docs and they are not as good as the English ones.

Also, if they are clean you can wear them out on a Friday night on the piss :-)

i wear docs if i'm riding around town in jeans, or going flying. i'm always aware though of how much more exposed i feel than if i'm wearing my 'proper' boots, so i tend to ride a little slower

Devil
14th October 2005, 10:05
Got me some sidi vertigo's a while ago from Cycletreads. Love them. Very comfy, just the right shape for my foot.
Have a pair of standard Gaerne touring boots for day to day stuff.

tracyprier
14th October 2005, 10:08
Don't believe so.

tracyprier
14th October 2005, 10:17
Of course that's the other thing to consider. Like helmets different brands suit some feet better than others, ya gotta go stick ya feet into a few different ones and clump 'round the shop for a few minutes.

I've never had much luck with Iti shoes (tramping boots) because they are often narrow across the front of the foot...slim-footed Italians I suppose but I have to say the SIDI's are good so there ya go... try 'em all on first before parting with the folding would be my advise... which is probably worth it's cost to you :)

marty
14th October 2005, 11:57

is there any other colour?

R6_kid
14th October 2005, 14:25
lol, i've settled for the Styl Martin SBKIII's good price etc... and in black but i can deal with that (wanted to be PIMP in some silver/white ones but thats fine)

Will be visiting Lou tomorrow... now how much more can i bargain him down :whistle:

Lou Girardin
14th October 2005, 16:04
I won't be bargaining much when I get the sack.
I quoted the GST exclusive price by mistake, sorry guys the SBK3's are $287.00

R1madness
29th October 2005, 07:20
But not good for walking around all day, in.
Actually I have a pair of these and once you get them to loosen up they are VERY comfortable for walking in ( a little silicone sprey on the jionts stops them squeeking). I wear mine most days and they are great. Awsome crash protection (160kph highside tested) and weather proof as well ( held out the snow and rain for 5 1/2 hours on the way back from the Brass monkey Rally 2004). Comfortable and well made. I can recomend SIDI VERTIBRA without hesitation.
Just buy them.