PDA

View Full Version : Supermotos

Batcerb
7th February 2004, 17:04
Well, I was walking home today and saw a little kid practicing on a little mini dirt bike, I thought - man, that looks fun!
And then it suddenly sunk in, how insanely awesome the idea of a motard is :D

For the first time ever, Id concider one of these over a supersport or the likes... Ride to work in the week, switch the wheels over for silly buggers in the weekend :D Also, after seeing them being competitive against supersports in the port Nelson races (which honestly shocked me).

Brilliant! That KTM LC 640 looks better and better

phil_elvey
7th February 2004, 17:31
I was was looking at a KTM Duke the other day decked out in black with gold mufflers. This has to be the dead sexiest dirt/motoard bike eva. It was sooo beautiful! If I lived in a reasonable sized city I would get a supermoto for sure! I rode a DR with road tires around Sydney for over a year and it was primo fun - unarguably the best way to get around. Wheelies & stoppies everywhere, and grass verges and meadian islands become your personal road lanes.

Motu
7th February 2004, 17:40
Coming home today I saw a little kid on a KX60 following his Dad on a bigger bike around a padock,that was cute...like a mother duck and her ducklings.

When will the motorcycling world wake up to dirt bikes and street tyres - I've been doing motard in my own way for 30yrs - the best fun on bikes.

Jackrat
7th February 2004, 18:25
Yep,If I can ever afford an XR600 You folks will be the first to know.
When I come flying past ya's all elboes, knees, an sideways thru' the twistys.
Dang I can hardly wait :whistle: :laugh:

moko
8th February 2004, 12:04
SM`s are really big over here,a company do SM conversions for the DRZ400 that is sold through official Suzi dealers with full manufacturers warranty,Yam have just started selling the WRF450 with SM equipment as an official model and also have an SM version of their new 660 trail bike out within a few weeks.Also we have CCM who have been knocking out Brit built SM`s for a couple of years and sell really well over here,they come with 650 or 400 Suzi motors and are the dog`s bollocks.Big thing here is that with speed cameras all over the bastard place,our decaying roads and massive insurance premiums SMS are cheap to run and insure while still being fun.

Jackrat
8th February 2004, 12:10
SM`s are really big over here,a company do SM conversions for the DRZ400 that is sold through official Suzi dealers with full manufacturers warranty,Yam have just started selling the WRF450 with SM equipment as an official model and also have an SM version of their new 660 trail bike out within a few weeks.Also we have CCM who have been knocking out Brit built SM`s for a couple of years and sell really well over here,they come with 650 or 400 Suzi motors and are the dog`s bollocks.Big thing here is that with speed cameras all over the bastard place,our decaying roads and massive insurance premiums SMS are cheap to run and insure while still being fun.

Sounds good mate,I think these things would take off here if they were a bit more accessable like what you have there.They sure make a lot of sence to me. :niceone:

moko
9th February 2004, 05:07
Must admit that having been to N.Z. I find it bloody amazing that CCM dont export to your country,mind you they`re only a small company.I gave a mate a copy of BIKE when I was visiting with a roadtest of the R30 and he said they`d go down a bomb in N.Z.,one of their models has 2 sets of wheels,for on or off-road.I`d have thought the 660 Yam at least will make it down your way as it`s the replacement for the old XT/TT range and Yam are doing 2 versions,trail and SM.If they take off then the other Jap manufacturers wont be far behind.So far we`ve only seen pics of the 660 but there`s already a lot of interest so unless it`s a real lemon they should be onto a winner.

Racer X
11th February 2004, 12:13
I reckon they would be great fun as well!
Just wondering what it would cost to get a pretty good - second hand -
about 500cc - street legal supermotard?
Any ideas? I wouldn't have much more than $4500 to spend

Wonko
11th February 2004, 12:30
There is usally one or two doing the battle of the streets, and doing a good job of being compeditive too. Surprising, in a good way, just not what I like to look of.

Motu
11th February 2004, 12:38
The only way to go for a city bike - blasting around last night on my XT400,cut down side streets with speed bumps,no worries....stand on the pegs and just flatten them,the locals take a second look when they see you riding around standing on the pegs! I stand up a lot,got a sore arse from riding too long?....ride through the next town on the pegs and loosen up.

georgedubyabush
11th February 2004, 13:45
The only way to go for a city bike - blasting around last night on my XT400,cut down side streets with speed bumps,no worries....stand on the pegs and just flatten them,the locals take a second look when they see you riding around standing on the pegs! I stand up a lot,got a sore arse from riding too long?....ride through the next town on the pegs and loosen up.

How about a town trials bike? Some mofo cuts you off, ride over the top of them. :kick:

Motu
11th February 2004, 14:07
Trials bikes used to be used sometimes on the road - I always rode mine to work on monday after a trial...but a modern trials bike has a seat about 100mm higher than the pegs.That's OK for a mutant dwarf like me,but mortals would have a few problems.

Jackrat
12th February 2004, 14:52
Ha speak of the devil,I picked up a copy of KR today,some thing I di about once a year.Husky,KTM,Honda,Yamaha all have adds for super mono's.
The KTM is a real eye catcher. :love: :devil2:

Al
12th February 2004, 17:57
A good town trials bike is also the Yamaha TT600. I had the 1987 model with anodised rims and disc brake on the front. Did a lot of riding in state forests and sugar cane fields back in South Africa...also rode to work and back and used it when on holiday up in the mountains!
:spudwave:

moko
18th February 2004, 18:52
Forgot to say,Yamaha actually had the first Factory Supermoto in their range last year,50 c.c. model of all things.MuZ do pretty neat budget SM`s with the old Yam 660 motor(new 660 Yam has all-new engine),best one I`ve seen was in Supermoto magazine here,they found an ex track bike,now used on the road,with an RG500 Suzi motor of all things,looked really wicked.

moko
18th February 2004, 19:06
http://www.ibikenet.com/02_market/hongkongbikes/mar_bikes/r30_01.jpg

CCM R30,650 Suzi motor and a big seller in Britain,they also do one with a 720 big-bore kit and a newer model with the DRZ400 motor,neat eh?

tlronny
19th February 2004, 05:15
Try www.supermotech.co.uk
But remember if your coming from a sportbike background they are still pretty slow,buzzy and generally have a smaller tank range.
On local rides around here the motards are always last to the pub !!
- still alot of fun though and would be ideal as a second bike if you could afford two !!

wkid_one
19th February 2004, 06:17
http://www.ibikenet.com/02_market/hongkongbikes/mar_bikes/r30_01.jpg

CCM R30,650 Suzi motor and a big seller in Britain,they also do one with a 720 big-bore kit and a newer model with the DRZ400 motor,neat eh?
That's the mutts pearls - LOVE IT

tlronny
19th February 2004, 13:05
When r u getting your 'tard WKD One ??

Motu
19th February 2004, 19:51
If you think motards are short on power you could try this one.

wkid_one
19th February 2004, 20:22
When r u getting your 'tard WKD One ??
I have a trailie at the mo - plus I am still working on my 'present' from the UK

tlronny
20th February 2004, 05:18
sOUNDS INTERESTING ??

moko
20th February 2004, 06:55
On local rides around here the motards are always last to the pub !!

Yeah,there`s a lot of crap spouted in the press here about how they`ll see off R1`s in the twisties e.t.c.,which would be great except most roads here are straight,flat and boring.There are guys who`ve chopped their Sportsbikes in for SM`s then complain they`re slow,at the end of the day the CCM`s got a DR650 motor so what the hell do they expect.Depends what you want,to me riding is about a lot more than sheer speed,I ran an XT600 which I loved,instead of taking the direct fast route I`d take the scenic way across the country roads,took longer but if you enjoy riding does that matter?Another reason for SM`s popularity here is that they`re demon city bikes,your 160 bhp aint a lot of good in nose to tail traffic.Here lane-splitting,or "filtering" as we call it,is legal and if you see a gap you go for it,not a lot better than an SM for point and squirt riding of that kind.Big singles are pretty addictive as well,thought long and hard about chopping the XT in for the Fazer but the test ride swung it,would have kept both if I could afford it.

slob
20th February 2004, 09:31
If you think motards are short on power you could try this one.
After checking out the site (http://www.kms-racing.ch/motos/sondermodelle/kmsktmlc8supermoto.shtml) , and making use of my limited german, I gathered that it is a supermoto'd KTM Adventure 950. That should mean that with the standard engine it'll punt out 98bhp!

Now that's more like it! :niceone: Although, you'd expect them to shave off some of the 195kg dry weight..

tlronny
20th February 2004, 12:36
Saw this one down in Dannevirke the other day - nice !! :rolleyes:
- 660 SMX

Mitzi
26th February 2004, 08:55
Almost the best racing of the day at Paeroa was the SM boys, big hand to the bloke riding with one good arm, anyone know who he is, he a star ! Top entertainment for the punters, ace to watch these boys backing it in, who needs superbikes !

SPman
26th February 2004, 09:35
.There are guys who`ve chopped their Sportsbikes in for SM`s then complain they`re slow,at the end of the day the CCM`s got a DR650 motor so what the hell do they expect.Which is why I want one of these.
The ones I've ridden feel like a SM, only with a lot more squirt!