PDA

View Full Version : Clutch grabbing issue

oldguy
15th September 2018, 08:58
Ok got a issue with clutch or is it me? anyway whats going on is I have to release clutch lever real slow with minimal throttle I mean to the point of just above idle, ( trying to move my fat ass from stationary)any more and it will grab and lurch forward no slipping. once I get a bit of momentum going it all works as it should, engages and disengages as should, just the take off from a stand still.

any ideas Oh bike is VTR1000SP1

caseye
15th September 2018, 16:53
Ok got a issue with clutch or is it me? anyway whats going on is I have to release clutch lever real slow with minimal throttle I mean to the point of just above idle, ( trying to move my fat ass from stationary)any more and it will grab and lurch forward no slipping. once I get a bit of momentum going it all works as it should, engages and disengages as should, just the take off from a stand still.

Ya got a new one?
Te Buel wouldn't do this!

AllanB
15th September 2018, 18:44
Shit I soooo misread the title - I thought it said 'Crutch grabbing' something I was prepared to comment on....

As you were.

FJRider
15th September 2018, 18:49
Shit I soooo misread the title - I thought it said 'Crutch grabbing' something I was prepared to comment on....

As you were.

Obviously using the wrong public toilets ... ask a honda rider ...

AllanB
15th September 2018, 18:50

Honda cable clutch? If so there is a bit of room to play with the lever take-up by tweaking the lower and upper cable adjustment. Check cable condition as well. If you can clean it out and re-lube. Or replace it, they are not usually that expensive. Check cable routing as well as it may have a kink in it which then slightly delays the movement your left hand is doing thus the sudden release.

Otherwise it sounds like it may be a sticky clutch that's all on or off.

FJRider
15th September 2018, 18:57
... any ideas Oh bike is VTR1000SP1

Any work done on the clutch lately ... ???

oldguy
15th September 2018, 18:57
Ya got a new one?
Te Buel wouldn't do this!

third world problems, the Buell needs a set of new tyres, the motard needs a new rear tyre, and now the Honda clutch issue. I spoke to the local Honda dealer, he said its a common issue with them when they have a few K's on them, worn clutch basket, warp drive plate, he said easy to just check it out first. So I still wont be on a SATNR for a we while, as my issue is money I don't have any.:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

AllanB
15th September 2018, 19:03
So I still wont be on a SATNR for a we while, as my issue is money I don't have any.:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Start a give-a-little page to raise coin for the clutch. Why not - apparently you can get $190,000 gifted if you have a known medical condition, have it excluded from your travel insurance (understandably) then actually get ill while travelling. Go figure.

(I may have gone too far this time...)

FJRider
15th September 2018, 19:04

Bikes that have been sitting for a while often get stuck plates.

Usual fix is to remove all the plates .. sand the plates down and soak the fibre one's in oil before replacing.

The other issue is usually a broken/bent/missing plate.

oldguy
15th September 2018, 19:04
Any work done on the clutch lately ... ???

None I spoke to local Honda dealer, he said its a common issue when they get a few Ks on them, they ware on side of the clutch basket which can stop the clutch from slipping or a warp drive plate. So looks like I be opening her up to have a look.

caseye
15th September 2018, 19:05
Well young fella, theres a problem shared, you are not alone my brother.
Looking forward to being back with SATNR in 4-6 weeks time.
:shifty:

oldguy
15th September 2018, 19:08
Start a give-a-little page to raise coin for the clutch. Why not - apparently you can get $190,000 gifted if you have a known medical condition, have it excluded from your travel insurance (understandably) then actually get ill while travelling. Go figure.

(I may have gone too far this time...)

Thank you, would never have thought of that, :laugh::laugh::laugh:

FJRider
15th September 2018, 19:08
None I spoke to local Honda dealer, he said its a common issue when they get a few Ks on them, they ware on side of the clutch basket which can stop the clutch from slipping or a warp drive plate. So looks like I be opening her up to have a look.

Forget about draining the oil ... drain/empty the fuel tank and just lay the bike on it's side ... :drinknsin

FJRider
15th September 2018, 19:14
Thank you, would never have thought of that, :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Just post your bank account number (and password) and I can then assure you ... you will have fewer money problems ... ;)

oldguy
15th September 2018, 19:23
Honda cable clutch? If so there is a bit of room to play with the lever take-up by tweaking the lower and upper cable adjustment. Check cable condition as well. If you can clean it out and re-lube. Or replace it, they are not usually that expensive. Check cable routing as well as it may have a kink in it which then slightly delays the movement your left hand is doing thus the sudden release.

Its a hydrophilic clutch, the best way to describe what it s like is think of a learner rider, learning to use the clutch for the first time, once mobile it all works as it should no slipping clutch under hard acceleration.

oldguy
15th September 2018, 19:31
Forget about draining the oil ... drain/empty the fuel tank and just lay the bike on it's side ... :drinknsin

Id never be able to stand it up on my own

Just post your bank account number (and password) and I can then assure you ... you will have fewer money problems ... ;)

555 1234 5678 and Bank is ASANBZ

Laava
16th September 2018, 08:06

As you were.

Same! I thought, "what has Fenati done now?"

F5 Dave
16th September 2018, 11:24
Most likely cause is the basket fingers and often basket inner getting grooves worn in them. You can carefully file the worst of it out if it's not too bad but on a litre bike and a Vtwin at that it will be a consumable. Obviously minimization involves a nice cable, but not applicable in your case, not much slop in cushdrive, smooth chain run, and flat clutch plates. Good luck.

oldguy
16th September 2018, 21:30
Most likely cause is the basket fingers and often basket inner getting grooves worn in them. You can carefully file the worst of it out if it's not too bad but on a litre bike and a Vtwin at that it will be a consumable. Obviously minimization involves a nice cable, but not applicable in your case, not much slop in cushdrive, smooth chain run, and flat clutch plates. Good luck.

RC51 SP1/SP2 group on facebook, a few members their had or have a similar problem, most said it was as you mentioned with the basket, and did as you mention
and file/sand it down. One guy was going to install an SP2 clutch, but I think thay are the same anyway, another went with a Barnett unit another went with a
sigma slipper clutch but he track days his bike.

Could start a whole new thread on OEM vs Aftermarket vs Slipper clutch vs standard.