PDA

View Full Version : Help with filling out my own brake declartion form.

mrSilkie
27th September 2018, 15:21
Hey there, i'm trying to fill the form out myself, since i've gotten some $150 quotes on a little, 70cc motorcycle. I've actually measured it all up myself and i've filled in my physical form but i'd like to fill in the blanks in case it comes up during inspection. I'm actually quite new to the country and i've never, ever seen one of these forms before so if i could have somebody who's actually seen this form professionally filled out help me fill in the blanks that would be great. I know im going to get half a thousand people commenting that "OMG IF YOUR BRAKES AREN'T TIP TOP THEN YOU'RE GOING TO DIE" which is not what this post is about so can we please remain on topic. I've also duplicated the form that i got a hold of in word and would be more than happy to send people a PDF copy so they don't have to deal with getting ripped off by mechanics.

This is the template i have

https://i.imgur.com/90f57T8.png

My concerns are that i have a 98 indian Hero Winner. There is no such this as a data sheet for this motorcycle. I've looked, it doesn't exist.

I have 3.7mm and 3.2mm for my lining thickness for the front brakes, what should i put down as the OEM specification? the range (4-2), the oem thickness (4) or the oem minimum (2?)

I have 7.9mm for my front drum and 8.4mm for my rear drum thickness, what would the OEM specifications look like here? I'd have no idea since i've never seen this form filled out before in my life.

My ovality was not measurable on my verneer caliper. I don't mind fibbing on this one, the rules say that you can have up to 1mm of ovality on my 200mm drum, i'm just not sure what a good figure looks like however.

avgas
28th September 2018, 04:51
Email Honda India and they should be able to give you the OEM dimensions. I imagine looking at those numbers is only a few mm thicker.

Anyone know if RUNOUT is the min thickness before you need to change?

Laava
28th September 2018, 07:02
Runout in the case of a drum is out of round. Out of round by .5mm for example
With a disc it can be warpage or just uneven wear ie, the disc being thinner in onr place compared to the rest.

husaberg
28th September 2018, 12:04
Email Honda India and they should be able to give you the OEM dimensions. I imagine looking at those numbers is only a few mm thicker.

Runout is wobble on a disc
min disc thickness will be printed on it

all these are including pad thickness in service manuals likely in owners manual as well

Ginge09
28th September 2018, 12:42
OEM specs are usually found in a workshop manual relevant to the bike as husaberg says.

If you want to save money by not using "rip off" mechanics then you'll have to spend a bit on the workshop manual. No point in measuring something unles you know what you are comparing it to.

Be prepared for someone to question your information.

sidecar bob
28th September 2018, 18:01
Just fill it up with bullshit & best guesses.
It's a bit of butt covering that takes the onus off the inspector & puts it on you.
Not worth a nob of goat shit, just arse covering toilet paper.
From a recent ex motor tradie.

mrSilkie
28th September 2018, 21:30
Just fill it up with bullshit & best guesses.
It's a bit of butt covering that takes the onus off the inspector & puts it on you.
Not worth a nob of goat shit, just arse covering toilet paper.
From a recent ex motor tradie.

This is what i want to do. I've taken my own measurements i'm just not sure what to put down in the OEM specifications, like i said, i've never seen a filled dec before. Are the OEM specifications in regards to the maximum, minimum or the range? I'm guessing they're the minimum.

I also totally agree that the brake dec is a load of horse shit, the government doesn't give a rats ass about actual safety, if they did they would mandate that VTNZ carries out their own independent inspection instead of passing it off onto what is the capstone of bureaucratic bullshit the "we get to choose who's allowed to carry out the inspection" and the "they get to chose their own pricing". Completely unregulated monopolization.

SVboy
29th September 2018, 20:20
PM sent thanks.

actungbaby
7th October 2018, 20:28
I think run out is measurement with radial dial of how true disc is
Or that it's not warped. I could be very wrong.

Sent from my SOV31 using Tapatalk

sidecar bob
8th October 2018, 08:07
This is what i want to do. I've taken my own measurements i'm just not sure what to put down in the OEM specifications, like i said, i've never seen a filled dec before. Are the OEM specifications in regards to the maximum, minimum or the range? I'm guessing they're the minimum.

I also totally agree that the brake dec is a load of horse shit, the government doesn't give a rats ass about actual safety, if they did they would mandate that VTNZ carries out their own independent inspection instead of passing it off onto what is the capstone of bureaucratic bullshit the "we get to choose who's allowed to carry out the inspection" and the "they get to chose their own pricing". Completely unregulated monopolization.

Run out is wobble, minimum thickness is minimum thickness.
Don't start me on vtnz doing all the wof's they would need some staff that had a clue before they chuck that into gear.

Voltaire
8th October 2018, 08:51
Run out is wobble, minimum thickness is minimum thickness.
Don't start me on vtnz doing all the wof's they would need some staff that had a clue before they chuck that into gear.

Did you sing and dance around your workshop?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhp1luEck9A

sidecar bob
8th October 2018, 12:23
Did you sing and dance around your workshop?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhp1luEck9A

There was very little of either.
I was a grumpy fucker by the time I got shit of it.
Rapt that MTA used our hard earned subs to invest it a of inspection agency to set up in business just down the road from me.
Fuck VTNZ & their clueless muppets.