PDA

View Full Version : Government considers scrapping car rego fees

neels
3rd October 2018, 11:15
https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/107446947/government-considers-scrapping-car-rego-fees--a-giant-revenue-gathering-device

I wonder if this would include motorcycles?

Kind of makes sense to include with WOF inspections if it's only to keep the vehicle register up to date, and collect ACC on fuel tax which would then be loosely linked on distance travelled, implementation would be interesting particularly how it would affect motorcycles that at the moment have a current WOF and rego on hold.....

Could be bit of a revenue drop for Auckland council though.

An Official Information Act request revealed police handed out 92,651 fines across the country last year, mostly $100 in face value, and totalling $9.3m to people with an expired car registration.

Councils also issue $200 fines - and get to keep half the money collected.

Auckland dished out 54,644 warnings and 56,112 infringements for the 2017 financial year, with 20,188 of them going to court.

Christchurch issued 995 infringement notices in 2017. Wellington issued no infringements but gave out 353 warnings.

Black Knight
3rd October 2018, 11:37
Twyford is a twunt

Berries
3rd October 2018, 22:08
Not seen the latest ACC proposals for bikes mentioned on here yet.

Should-we-keep-the-motorcycle-safety-levy-the-same (https://www.shapeyouracc.co.nz/have-your-say-on-your-acc-levies/should-we-keep-the-motorcycle-safety-levy-the-same/)

Should-safe-motorcyclists-get-a-rebate (https://www.shapeyouracc.co.nz/have-your-say-on-your-acc-levies/should-safe-motorcyclists-get-a-rebate/)

The first one is a trick question by the look of it as they are never going to get rid of it now and I am not sure the second one is titled correctly. I would have thought 'safe' as far as the ACC are concerned can be measured through riding and claims history, not simply by passing a test.

Anyway, twunts.

FJRider
4th October 2018, 06:12
... I wonder if this would include motorcycles?

I wonder if he knows Motorcycles exist ... ??? ;)

Kind of makes sense to include with WOF inspections if it's only to keep the vehicle register up to date, and collect ACC on fuel tax which would then be loosely linked on distance travelled, implementation would be interesting particularly how it would affect motorcycles that at the moment have a current WOF and rego on hold.....

Although the vehicle licensing system is "A tidy little earner" his "Concerns" aren't really an issue to my way of thinking ... They'd have to fund their schemes some other way.

While in opposition, MP Phil Twyford called the annual vehicle licensing system and its 235,000 fines each year a "giant revenue gathering device".

Twyford said he was concerned the current vehicle licensing system, which raised $469 million last year, cost taxpayers $50m to administer.

"I'm also concerned about the 235,000 people a year who don't pay their rego fees on time and then end up getting dragged through the courts, clogging up our justice system and costing people a disproportionate amount of time and money for a minor offence."

If they paid their rego ... they wouldn't "Get dragged through the Courts" ... :pinch:

Perhaps ... he's unaware OTHER councils exist ... and use the same revenue gathering system ... ;)

sidecar bob
4th October 2018, 07:15
It won't make a lot of difference to me wether they scrap it or not. I scrapped it years ago when I felt I was being treated unfairly.

Autech
4th October 2018, 07:34
https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/107446947/government-considers-scrapping-car-rego-fees--a-giant-revenue-gathering-device

I wonder if this would include motorcycles?

Fuck Auckland Council. Sorry just had to say that.

It makes far too much sense to become law, so that's all I will say on the matter :D

Voltaire
4th October 2018, 09:55
It won't make a lot of difference to me wether they scrap it or not. I scrapped it years ago when I felt I was being treated unfairly.

So you don't register your bike?

Seems contrary to your position on WOF's :lol:

twice a year opportunity for Vehicle Shops to make some extra dosh selling parts that you probably don't really need.

" sounds like wheel bearings Mate"

" pads are getting down"

" Seat belt is a bit faded"

List is longer if your Female.

Swoop
4th October 2018, 14:45
Twyford is a twunt

You forgot to mention "deluded" and "believing his own press releases" levels of fuckwittery from this retard.

sidecar bob
4th October 2018, 16:09
So you don't register your bike?

Seems contrary to your position on WOF's :lol:

twice a year opportunity for Vehicle Shops to make some extra dosh selling parts that you probably don't really need.

" sounds like wheel bearings Mate"

" pads are getting down"

" Seat belt is a bit faded"

List is longer if your Female.

Na bro, as long as you talk about the TT & blow a bit of smoke I'll just write you up.;)

SaferRides
5th October 2018, 02:50
Auckland rates would have to go up without all the money from rego fines.

Apparently they keep half of the $200 and give the rest to the government.

Black Knight
5th October 2018, 09:01
You forgot to mention "deluded" and "believing his own press releases" levels of fuckwittery from this retard.

I didn't really forget,your ones are a given.

AllanB
5th October 2018, 18:28
I have noticed on KB that regardless of the Party (or combo of parties) in Government, the transport minister is mostly referred to as a f-tard or similar.

admenk
5th October 2018, 18:39
I have noticed on KB that regardless of the Party (or combo of parties) in Government, the transport minister is mostly referred to as a f-tard or similar.
It's probably a qualification of the job.....

SaferRides
6th October 2018, 06:17
It's probably a qualification of the job.....The present leader of opposition was minister of transport. He appears well qualified. :)