PDA

View Full Version : Help please, suspected oil pump failure?

zustnz
13th October 2018, 11:00
Hi guys, I have a suspected oil pump failure on my Vmoto/Keeway Milan scooter :-/

I've attached a bunch of pics - I realise it really needs to be taken apart to diagnose properly but looking at these pictures could anyone give their opinion of the problem and possible fix please.
I'm reasonably mechanically mined but will take it to a mechanic if it's in the too hard basket to fix myself :)

AllanB
13th October 2018, 14:27
What lead you to the conclusion it's the oil pump? That build up has been there a while.

Clean that mess off with degreaser (I just picked up three cans from Supercheap for $6), fire it up, go for a spin around the block and you should be able to see where it is leaking from allowing you to narrow down the problem.

I may be a $5 oil seal. Or not ........

sidecar bob
13th October 2018, 17:00
Allan is correct. There is no way you can tell a thing with it like that. Get it spotlessly clean, check the oil level, because obviously an oil leak means some component is losing oil, top it up if nesacarry & use the bike as normal, checking for the source of the oil periodically.

OddDuck
13th October 2018, 18:33
Surely even a scooter has an oil pressure warning light? If this is lighting up, then yes, either the pump has an issue or the pressure sensor is playing up. Otherwise as the others have said - something is leaking oil, clean, ride, and have a look to see where it's coming from.

Rhys
13th October 2018, 20:20
Have you checked the oil level ?

Ginge09
14th October 2018, 11:54
Clean it as above. Check oil and ride it. Looks like it’s not breathing and chucking it out anywhere it can.

Is this a four stroke?

zustnz
16th October 2018, 15:37
Ok thanks all, this all makes a lot of sense! I will clean up, take for some hoons and keep looking for the source of the leak. Cheers

sidecar bob
16th October 2018, 16:12
Ok thanks all, this all makes a lot of sense! I will clean up, take for some hoons and keep looking for the source of the leak. Cheers

Have fun. Scooter hoons are the best kind of hoons.:D:D:D
I discovered the true meaning of irony today, two drongos standing waiting at a bus stop, jeering at a bloke on a scooter that rode past.
They were still standing there when said scooter pilot returned from his errand in the other direction.
I know this because I was the scooter pilot.

zustnz
23rd October 2018, 07:36
That's gold Sidecar bob! Ok so I cleaned her up a bit, I didn't ride it for 8 hours ish but a small amount of oil leaked out in that time. See attached pic showing where the oil accumulates - it's definitely not coming from he oil tank or hose leading to engine - this is all dry and sealed. Any further thoughts? Thanks a lot!339271

sidecar bob
23rd October 2018, 08:20
Here's a pic of your pump removed.
The little black hat on my picture is covering the oil inlet from the tank.
If oil is running out without starting the engine its, possible that the tube carrying oil from the tank to the pump is split, possibly right where it goes onto the pump.
Could you cut 1 cm off the end of the pipe to get a fresh end & shove it on the pump & try again?
I doubt it's leaking around the o ring, as that would give a different symptom.
Scooting have that pump in stock in NZ.
If you do replace the pump, you must bleed it up first, or put a bit of premix in the tank to stop the engine seizing while the pump gets its shit together.

zustnz
29th October 2018, 10:04
Here's a pic of your pump removed.
The little black hat on my picture is covering the oil inlet from the tank.
If oil is running out without starting the engine its, possible that the tube carrying oil from the tank to the pump is split, possibly right where it goes onto the pump.
Could you cut 1 cm off the end of the pipe to get a fresh end & shove it on the pump & try again?
I doubt it's leaking around the o ring, as that would give a different symptom.
Scooting have that pump in stock in NZ.
If you do replace the pump, you must bleed it up first, or put a bit of premix in the tank to stop the engine seizing while the pump gets its shit together.

OK great thanks mate, I'll have a look at that after work - be awesome if it was a simple as a split pipe! Cheers

zustnz
5th November 2018, 11:08
Discovered the leak last night - it is coming out of the governor/throttle assy - see attached pics. Can anyone confirm the correct name for this piece and/or does it have an O ring inside that may have perished perhaps? thannnnks =)