PDA

View Full Version : Where can I rent a sport bike in NZ?

Vinz0r
14th October 2018, 14:43
Hello,

I'm currently living out of the country but I'm planning to do a short motorcycle tour with some friends early next year when I'm back.
I sold my bike when I last left NZ, so I've been looking around at the motorcycle hire companies but they all seem to only carry tourers and adventure bikes. I'm really looking for something like a ZX6R to hire but I can't seem to find any rental places carrying sport bikes.

Do any of you lot know of a bike rental place with a slightly larger range? I'm happy with older models too.

AllanB
14th October 2018, 15:40
Probably a good reason the companies only rent touring styled bikes ....... ah because people want to tour and carry their shit while on tour.

I cant think of any rental companies offering sports bikes - again what would be the point - presumable your customer is only going to rent then fang the shit out of the XXRR. A high risk to your rolling stock being crashed or ordered off the road.

I do see a market for exotica being track rented under controlled conditions - pay for a day at the track with a selection of top end machinery. And you'd have to pay a fair whack as well.

babysteps
14th October 2018, 19:04
http://www.truhire.co.nz/bike-hire/

Panigale anyone??

Vinz0r
14th October 2018, 20:22
Probably a good reason the companies only rent touring styled bikes ....... ah because people want to tour and carry their shit while on tour.

I cant think of any rental companies offering sports bikes - again what would be the point - presumable your customer is only going to rent then fang the shit out of the XXRR. A high risk to your rolling stock being crashed or ordered off the road.

I do see a market for exotica being track rented under controlled conditions - pay for a day at the track with a selection of top end machinery. And you'd have to pay a fair whack as well.

A major reason for me wanting to rent something other than an adventure bike is that I will be in the market for a new bike when I return to NZ and this would be a great opportunity for me to spend a bit of time on a bike I may be interested in buying in the future. Kind of an extended test ride.
I've done a bit of touring on my old 05 ZX6R with a luggage rack and had no problems. I had no comfort issues either, although the comfort level varies considerably across models (and people).
I do see your point regarding the demographic likely to rent sport bikes, and the inherent risk. I might be out of luck, but will keep looking.

Vinz0r
14th October 2018, 20:25

Panigale anyone??

Well then, look what we have here. Might be a little outside what I am wanting to spend at $300+ per day, but will keep this place in mind.

FJRider
14th October 2018, 22:27
A major reason for me wanting to rent something other than an adventure bike is that I will be in the market for a new bike when I return to NZ and this would be a great opportunity for me to spend a bit of time on a bike I may be interested in buying in the future. Kind of an extended test ride.

Find a bike shop that you are known at (if that is possible) ... and tell them that. They may do a deal if business is slow and they're sure (think) a sale might be forthcoming ...

WALRUS
15th October 2018, 09:16

Panigale anyone??

That 999 would be great.. Except for that ghastly clutch cover haha!