PDA

View Full Version : A bad day on the roads.

AllanB
17th November 2018, 18:58
As per the title - a bad day on the roads today.

Shit weather on the way tomorrow - take it easy out there.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/108677264/motorcyclist-dies-in-crash-on-the-west-coast

scumdog
17th November 2018, 19:01
As per the title - a bad day on the roads today.

Shit weather on the way tomorrow - take it easy out there.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/108677264/motorcyclist-dies-in-crash-on-the-west-coast

Amen to that!

george formby
17th November 2018, 19:13
Yeah, shocking and sad headline. Instant glums for me.

We are out for a ride tomorrow, I hope this news does not pray on my mind and take the joy out of the day.

nzspokes
17th November 2018, 19:50
Not pretty reading. 4 dead, no other road users involved if what they say is correct.

SaferRides
17th November 2018, 20:01
I nearly saw a 5th. Patched gang member just after the junction of the S and SW motorways in Auckland, cuts across 3 lanes of traffic, misses front left of car in the R lane by maybe 1 m.

Looked like a Victory, he'd have probably crashed if he was on a Harley.

caseye
18th November 2018, 07:02
I nearly saw a 5th. Patched gang member just after the junction of the S and SW motorways in Auckland, cuts across 3 lanes of traffic, misses front left of car in the R lane by maybe 1 m.

Looked like a Victory, he'd have probably crashed if he was on a Harley.

Pity!
:pinch:

SaferRides
18th November 2018, 07:10
Just read that the 3 who died in the SI were on charity runs.

AllanB
18th November 2018, 08:22
Just read that the 3 who died in the SI were on charity runs.

Yep - two separate charity rides - one for the Pikes Mine 29 and the Southland one was raising money for a child with a heart condition.

Scubbo
18th November 2018, 12:13
ughh just ughh.... weekend riders, fair weather riders, riding in groups together will never be a safe place to be on a bike

Jeff Sichoe
18th November 2018, 12:24
Would I be right in assuming that people in this thread would support a general difficultly increase / higher competency requirements around attaining a motorcycle license?

Paul in NZ
18th November 2018, 15:30
Would I be right in assuming that people in this thread would support a general difficultly increase / higher competency requirements around attaining a motorcycle license?

Its not actually that hard to ride a motorcycle safely... Well assuming other drivers let you...

Now if you could get together a test that measured stupidity, agression and ego... Then you are onto something...

AllanB
18th November 2018, 16:01

Nope.

Stats support that it is older riders killing themselves.

There is something to be said for any form of born again rider/driver (and by no way implying any of this weekends accidents where such riders). For example you can roll over your car/bike license every time it's renewed without actually having driven or ridden in a decade or more between.

Then buy the glory machine with a Lotto win/inheritance/savings/redundancy etc and go for a fat with your mates who have been regularly riding over the years.

I know a guy who last road a XL250 or similar in the 80's buy a HD thirty years later with no refresher training required.

I'd support a ten year compulsory refresher test of some form - even the sit down answer questions test a learner has to do.

nzspokes
18th November 2018, 16:47
go for a fat with your mates.

Im guessing this is a Mainlander thing. :eek5:

nzspokes
18th November 2018, 16:47
Its not actually that hard to ride a motorcycle safely... Well assuming other drivers let you...

Now if you could get together a test that measured stupidity, agression and ego... Then you are onto something...

Fucking cagers........

Oh hang on....

jellywrestler
18th November 2018, 17:36
Its not actually that hard to ride a motorcycle safely...

. it is when there's a hundred other bikes around you that all do their own thing

GazzaH
18th November 2018, 18:06
Terminal experiences are sad and sobering.

It would be good to know exactly what happened, from qualified & experienced accident investigators (not journos, not random onlookers ...).

Are such reports published in NZ? If so, where can we find them?

Voltaire
18th November 2018, 18:24

It would be good to know exactly what happened, from qualified & experienced accident investigators (not journos, not random onlookers ...).

There is this.

https://www.transport.govt.nz/assets/Uploads/Research/Documents/Motorcycles-2017.pdf

skippa1
18th November 2018, 19:12
Pity!
:pinch:
Dont be fuckin disgusting

AllanB
18th November 2018, 20:00

I read today that all three motorcycle accidents are being investigated (can't remember the official body that does this) so the results will be available when released.

SaferRides
18th November 2018, 21:55
I read today that all three motorcycle accidents are being investigated (can't remember the official body that does this) so the results will be available when released.They are investigated by the police - Serious Crash Unit.

Paul in NZ
19th November 2018, 10:36
it is when there's a hundred other bikes around you that all do their own thing

Agreed - hence the 'if others will let you'...

rambaldi
19th November 2018, 12:58

The diving community used to get the coroners reports sent to them and published online, via their forums. Something similar could happen here but I don't see this community being as conducive to accident analysis (it can get pretty unpleasant in diving groups, particularly when members/site owners were involved).

That said you can look up the reports at https://coronialservices.justice.govt.nz/findings-and-recommendations/

dangerous
19th November 2018, 19:18
Stats support that it is older riders killing themselves.

well... having been to a funeral on Saturday irionacly as others died... and this being the second this year for me... one being 48 the other 49...

I was going to start a thread on this, Im 50 am I loosing it to?

Yep - two separate charity rides - one for the Pikes Mine 29 and the Southland one was raising money for a child with a heart condition.

yeah BUT... the brotherhood was one, basically a MC gang, in chch afiliated with BACA whom let Hells into there club rooms...
... ill get beter details if required... ANYWAY... with there mentality a "fundraising ride" is a loose dangerous ride... I mean the two dead hit an oncomming bike... DUH the thickest should work out someone wasnt on the correct side of the road.

GazzaH
19th November 2018, 19:33
There is this.

https://www.transport.govt.nz/assets/Uploads/Research/Documents/Motorcycles-2017.pdf

Thanks Voltaire.

dangerous
19th November 2018, 19:44
well... having been to a funeral on Saturday irionacly as others died... and this being the second this year for me... one being 48 the other 49...

there I did ...

https://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php/186168-older-riders-surviving-badly?p=1131116581#post1131116581

AllanB
19th November 2018, 19:45

I have been working on a half-arsed theory about this.

It starts with being able to finally afford a really good motorcycle. And with that comes really good handling, really good brakes, really good tyres .... and the obvious potential of really good speed.

Katman
21st November 2018, 19:01
DUH the thickest should work out someone wasnt on the correct side of the road.

Yeah, but if it was one of KB's riding Gods then you're not allowed to mention it.

dangerous
17th December 2018, 19:31
WELL... shit sakes, after a wee hoon over to the coast and back on Saturday I can see why so many bikers are going tits up... shit people sort ya sht out other wise the deaths will keep comming.

It seems so common to cross the center line WHY???

followed a fjr1300 over porters... why would ya aproach a blind left hander by riding far out to the right over the center line before doing a very early and poor apex in???
why would ya sit on a straight on the center line, specually knowing there is traffic behind you???
A old silver daytona going up otera in a 3ok zone straight lining the bends WHY
seen that a few time on that day...

this shit becomes habbit, then befor you know it ya doing it with out relising... till one day a cage or another bike comes round at ya... all fucking over rover...

bikaholic
17th December 2018, 19:59
Yeah, but if it was one of KB's riding Gods then you're not allowed to mention it.

We are all KB gods on here, handwringing by night, shit hot by day.

SaferRides
18th December 2018, 07:39
It seems so common to cross the center line WHY???

followed a fjr1300 over porters... why would ya aproach a blind left hander by riding far out to the right over the center line before doing a very early and poor apex in???
why would ya sit on a straight on the center line, specually knowing there is traffic behind you???

I've seen a number of riders do this in the last year or so. Maybe they've mis-learnt the road positioning taught on the SaferRides courses? :)

Possibly worse are the centreline huggers on RH corners who don't realise they are on the wrong side of the road when they lean into the corner? Two centreline huggers meeting on a blind corner may not end well.

scumdog
18th December 2018, 18:50
I've seen a number of riders do this in the last year or so. Maybe they've mis-learnt the road positioning taught on the SaferRides courses? :)

Possibly worse are the centreline huggers on RH corners who don't realise they are on the wrong side of the road when they lean into the corner? Two centreline huggers meeting on a blind corner may not end well.

People going the other way (around a right hand bend) mostly dont hug the centre-line.

But when they do it can be disaster....

Ikut Kiri people, Ikut Kiri

(Malay for Keep Left)

jellywrestler
30th December 2018, 08:10
People going the other way (around a right hand bend) mostly dont hug the centre-line.

they're called trucks

russd7
30th December 2018, 20:15

I happened to be talking to one of the local crash investigators on boxing day and said I believed that the circumstances around the southland crash needed to be released and made public, he believes that they will be, he couldn't say what would be, but did say that the whole thing was filmed.

I did 1200km over a Thursday and Friday and did see a number of bikes all riding sensibly, wish the same could be said for a couple of cars, first was a car that passed on double yellows at the bottom of the crown range on the cardrona side, the traffic was moving along at a suitable pace, the second was another that took a line of two bikes and six cars pulling back in just before a blind bend, again the traffic was doing the speed limit and was traveling well.

scumdog
31st December 2018, 16:05
Just back from a Greymouth trip, heaps of bikes on the road - and not one being ridden by an idiot judging by their lines, following distance etc.:niceone:

Murray
31st December 2018, 20:09
I happened to be talking to one of the local crash investigators on boxing day and said I believed that the circumstances around the southland crash needed to be released and made public, he believes that they will be, he couldn't say what would be, but did say that the whole thing was filmed.

I did 1200km over a Thursday and Friday and did see a number of bikes all riding sensibly, wish the same could be said for a couple of cars, first was a car that passed on double yellows at the bottom of the crown range on the cardrona side, the traffic was moving along at a suitable pace, the second was another that took a line of two bikes and six cars pulling back in just before a blind bend, again the traffic was doing the speed limit and was traveling well.

Which Southland crash. You guys have had a few lately?:weep::weep:

russd7
2nd January 2019, 14:40
Which Southland crash. You guys have had a few lately?:weep::weep:

the head on between two bikes, one of which was on a charity ride, back in November

dangerous
5th January 2019, 12:01
the head on between two bikes, one of which was on a charity ride, back in November

the "brotherhood' charity is a code name for fast pub crawl... aint it...