PDA

View Full Version : THIS could be dangerous for our freedom to lane split/filter

Scuba_Steve
23rd November 2018, 19:30
The microCAR
A small car that claims to be the same size as a motorbike but worse advertises being able to "safely work your way through slow moving traffic like a motorcycle"
I've seen the twats that drive cars, & for some of them to be able to do that between other cars with the same care & skill they give the road now seems like a dangerous proposition that would see a heavy crackdown on the ability to lane split/filter

Anyways here's the page to take a look for yourself
https://www.pledgeme.co.nz/projects/5784-microcar-join-our-movement-to-get-auckland-moving?fbclid=IwAR3O37zdSnuBGa_IHRJiFElGOIP0yb9jZq z3jK2YO95ZLn_FpevQp32fY3c

sidecar bob
23rd November 2018, 20:22
It's already been invented, it's called the motorcycle, a skivvy & a raincoat.

AllanB
23rd November 2018, 21:06
Gay.

I like how they pick the biggest motorcycle they could find as a comparison.

Retards.

Just rent a Lime Scooter. ;)

Has anyone else noticed the number of huge vehicles on the road lately - urban 4WD, massive work 'trucks' and the likes. Back in the day my 2002 XR6 was a large car - now it's decidedly medium size.

rastuscat
23rd November 2018, 21:17
Gay.

I like how they pick the biggest motorcycle they could find as a comparison.

Retards.

Just rent a Lime Scooter. ;)

Has anyone else noticed the number of huge vehicles on the road lately - urban 4WD, massive work 'trucks' and the likes. Back in the day my 2002 XR6 was a large car - now it's decidedly medium size.

Back in the day a 750 was a big bike.

The market for penis extensions has certainly boomed.

jellywrestler
23rd November 2018, 21:21
Back in the day a 750 was a big bike.

The market for penis extensions has certainly boomed.

what day? i have an emblem big twin, 1916 1265cc, a 1918 henderson 1000cc a 1920 1300cc henderson a 1924 1000 cc Ace four.....

AllanB
23rd November 2018, 21:59
Assuming they are registered as a car I'd thought lane splitting in one would be a big no-no.

pritch
23rd November 2018, 22:01
what day? i have an emblem big twin, 1916 1265cc, a 1918 henderson 1000cc a 1920 1300cc henderson a 1924 1000 cc Ace four.....

This thread is no good without pics...

Fresh Oats
23rd November 2018, 22:28
The microCAR
A small car that claims to be the same size as a motorbike but worse advertises being able to "safely work your way through slow moving traffic like a motorcycle"
I've seen the twats that drive cars, & for some of them to be able to do that between other cars with the same care & skill they give the road now seems like a dangerous proposition that would see a heavy crackdown on the ability to lane split/filter

Anyways here's the page to take a look for yourself
https://www.pledgeme.co.nz/projects/5784-microcar-join-our-movement-to-get-auckland-moving?fbclid=IwAR3O37zdSnuBGa_IHRJiFElGOIP0yb9jZq z3jK2YO95ZLn_FpevQp32fY3c

As a wantrepreneur these things always piss me off. Why the fuck should I fund your start-up? I take all the risk for what? a discount of use on the product IF you succeed? Bitch please, get the fuck outta here.
Shares or go fuck yourself IMO. If I share the risk, I share the profits.

Scuba_Steve
24th November 2018, 07:40
Assuming they are registered as a car I'd thought lane splitting in one would be a big no-no.

There's no special rule for us, we use the same rule invented for cars we're just small enough to take advantage of it. Rego has no impact other than they would have to pay 80$ for the licence rather than 800$

OddDuck
24th November 2018, 07:42
Ohhh dear...

I notice that "the Team" didn't include one welder, fitter, mechanic, driver, y'know, anyone who gets real stuff done. It's all computer people and academics.

Bored students are going to pick them up and overturn them or walk off with them a la Fiat Bambina...

Anyone driving these... my God... you'd have to have a hide like a rhino. Everyone is going to give you shit. Everyone. Even your Nana, bless her.

People are going to drive them into the elevators at their work for a prank! Then drive around in the office. Hmm... thinking about it, there's something to that...

This vehicle will fit through standard motion-activated sliding double doors. And supermarket aisles. And maybe even standard checkout lanes. Uh oh.

The last one is a bit more serious, the event of any collision with anything bigger, the occupant is virtually guaranteed to richochet off the inside of their own microcar, probably with their head first. There isn't much spare room inside and transfer of mass isn't kind, get whacked by an SUV and it's going to get bounced like a tennis ball.

nzspokes
24th November 2018, 07:53
Would be a giggle on the Manukau bridge in a side wind.

Reckon if everybody converted to gokarts commuting would be fun. :cool:

MD
24th November 2018, 13:15
Gay.

Too right. They're growing bigger with ever new model. Usually driven to the kindy drop off and back by a woman who can barely climb up into the vehicle without a stool. Bloody annoying in car parks now when every SUV exceeds the painted area and steals a bit of the next parking space. They are car parks not truck parks so piss off or drive a reasonably sized vehicle and show some consideration for others.

Why is it that so many people want to be seen driving the largest, ugliest, fat arsed SUV they can find.

AllanB
24th November 2018, 13:55
Why is it that so many people want to be seen driving the largest, ugliest, fat arsed SUV they can find.

Given the way the drivers tailgate and generally behave like they are invincible in Christchurch, I can only assume the oversize machine gives them a sense of misplaced security.

Swoop
24th November 2018, 18:53
The last one is a bit more serious, the event of any collision with anything...

I wonder if they would pass the crash testing, to be allowed on the road in the first place. Even the crash-test-dummy would be offended being put into a toy car like that.

Fresh Oats
24th November 2018, 20:14
I wonder if they would pass the crash testing, to be allowed on the road in the first place. Even the crash-test-dummy would be offended being put into a toy car like that.

Surely if those tricycle shitty things can be classified as "non-motorbike" and get onto the road, these matchboxes can make it through.

buggerit
24th November 2018, 20:32
1500kg, what did they make it out of, lead?

MarkH
25th November 2018, 05:34
Microcars - interesting idea, but I'm a bit doubtful about it miraculously reducing congestion problems. Already with motorcycle riders, not everyone is comfortable riding between other vehicles, so how many microcar drivers would feel comfortable lane splitting?

Most likely it would be better for traffic problems to just drive a normal 5-seater car and get 3 or 4 passengers through a ride sharing app. Potentially there could be a drastic reduction of cars on Auckland roads if there wasn't just a single occupant in almost every one of them.

F5 Dave
25th November 2018, 06:11
The ride sharing app would need to provide financial incentives for owner, effectively Uber lite.

rambaldi
25th November 2018, 17:09
God this thing just screams scam to me. They can't even generate decent images for their begging. The only people getting money out of this are the founders

Old Steve
11th December 2018, 11:37
Potentially there could be a drastic reduction of cars on Auckland roads if there wasn't just a single occupant in almost every one of them.

Do you know that 75% of the people that cross the Auckland Harbour Bridge do so in a bus? It's just the other 25% of commuters that are the sole occupant of a vehicle.

F5 Dave
11th December 2018, 12:05
That seems unlikely. Citation? Bound by particular hours?
You will note my location is not Auckland but really?

FJRider
11th December 2018, 15:18

The overtaking rules for motorcycles ... are the same one's that apply to cars too ... <_<

FJRider
11th December 2018, 15:22
... Already with motorcycle riders, not everyone is comfortable riding between other vehicles, so how many microcar drivers would feel comfortable lane splitting?

As long as they wear a hi-viz vest .. what could possibly go wrong ... :pinch: