PDA

View Full Version : Equality in the eyes of the law

Lou Girardin
8th February 2004, 04:36
Property developer (spit), Andrew Krukziener recenty got a $800 fine and 3 months off the road for doing 103km/h on Tamaki Drive, at night and in the wet. He'd been charged with dangerous, but the cops reduced it to careless.
A family friend said he did speed a lot, but he was a lovable person. Not like a nasty boy racer.
So, what do you reckon your chances are, if it were you? Maybe a snowballs chance in hell?
Unless you're rich, well known and lovable that is.
Obviously the judge didnt invest in Metropolis either.
Lou

MikeL
8th February 2004, 08:07
Property developer (spit), Andrew Krukziener recenty got a $800 fine and 3 months off the road for doing 103km/h on Tamaki Drive, at night and in the wet. He'd been charged with dangerous, but the cops reduced it to careless.
A family friend said he did speed a lot, but he was a lovable person. Not like a nasty boy racer.
So, what do you reckon your chances are, if it were you? Maybe a snowballs chance in hell?
Unless you're rich, well known and lovable that is.
Obviously the judge didnt invest in Metropolis either.
Lou

It's difficult not to become cynical when this sort of thing happens. One law for the rich, one for the poor. Trouble is, the actual facts of the offense tend to get obscured. Mr Krukziener's driving may have been no more dangerous than yours or mine - who knows? Since it is the police that determine what is "dangerous" or merely "careless" by considering a whole range of variable factors including weather, traffic, vehicle condition etc. it is essentially a subjective decision. As such it is also one that can be influenced by other considerations including the driver's appearance, apparent socio-economic status etc. The fact that people like Mr Krukziener are treated more leniently is not surprising for this reason and the fact that a good (i.e. expensive) lawyer will be able to challenge the police's interpretation of events, put forward eloquent and persuasive arguments in mitigation, introduce character witnesses etc., an effective defence that is denied to the 20-year old student or low-paid worker who will have the book thrown at him as a boy racer despite the fact that the actual offence was no worse than Mr Krukzieners.
It has always been thus.

SPman
8th February 2004, 22:10
The article also said he had several tickets, including a 65kph on Tamaki drive! I think you or i would have got a similar fine....but i could be wrong (and usually am)

ZX7 Rider
1st June 2005, 13:25
Common you guys - haven't you got anything better to do? You're bikers - we all speed. If someone can be bothered turning up to court to fight, then all credit to them. If all you guys do when you get a ticket is pay it and then complain then what do you expect.

Good on him I say. :Punk:

Waylander
1st June 2005, 13:29
Common you guys - haven't you got anything better to do? You're bikers - we all speed. If someone can be bothered turning up to court to fight, then all credit to them. If all you guys do when you get a ticket is pay it and then complain then what do you expect.

The problem is when we fight them we are either ignored or made to pay more. Rich/Famous/Government officials always manage to slip through the cracks of equality when it comes to the laws. Welcome to the site by the way.

MSTRS
1st June 2005, 13:29

Hello & welcome - stick around and you'll get 're-educated'.

Sniper
1st June 2005, 13:43
Hello & welcome - stick around and you'll get 're-educated'.

Ditto I like re-education

Ixion
1st June 2005, 13:46

I was chuffed when Sir Bob Jones took them on. And won I think.

Motu
1st June 2005, 13:49
Mike is right - at my first appearance in court as a teenager I saw a fat young lawyer with long greasy hair defending a guy on a speeding charge,he was persuavive and his client got of with costs...his lawyer was good enough to later make this country nuclear free....

MSTRS
1st June 2005, 13:51
Ditto I like re-education
In your case I don't believe it was necessary. :whistle:

Sniper
1st June 2005, 14:30
In your case I don't believe it was necessary. :whistle:

Hehe, and that is meant to mean?? :rofl:

MSTRS
1st June 2005, 14:56
Hehe, and that is meant to mean?? :rofl:
Anything you like , old son, anything you like. :drinkup:

Hitcher
1st June 2005, 15:02
his lawyer was good enough to later make this country nuclear free...
Depends, I guess, what you mean by "nuclear free". Given that New Zealand is riddled with radioactive material (yes, gentle readers, it is part of us all), and radioactive isotopes are manufactured and used by many organisations on a daily basis, then nuclear "freedom" is not something we can boast. Unless we're talking about the two safest forms of nuclear energy -- ships and power stations -- in which case we don't want any of that shit here, thank you very much!

ManDownUnder
1st June 2005, 15:07
Let's face it we're all equal in the eyes of the law... the inequality comes when we're expected to defend ourselves..make submissions, represent ourselves in a manner, and with substance that lawyers and barristors get a considerable amount of special training in.

If you can afford a QC to defend you, chances are high you'll get off a lot more stuff than if you try it yourself, or get someone fresh from passing bar exams.

That's just the way it is.

I don't like it, but then I don't have a lot of say.

It's an interesting point that I have to live by the laws of the land, and yet there are so many of them, a number of ways of interpreting each (generally.. literal, golden rule etc... from my Law 101) and even the fact the final decision comes down to a person so the SAME set of arguements for and against will possibly have a different outcome, and/or a different penalty awarded.

It seems to me that Justice is a wierd combination of the the fact we all live by the same rules, and can expect inconsistant outcomes.

It is in our own interests to do what we can to tip the balance of that outcome in our favour. It seems it was done most effectively in this case.

MDU

ManDownUnder
1st June 2005, 15:09
Depends, I guess, what you mean by "nuclear free". Given that New Zealand is riddled with radioactive material (yes, gentle readers, it is part of us all), and radioactive isotopes are manufactured and used by many organisations on a daily basis, then nuclear "freedom" is not something we can boast. Unless we're talking about the two safest forms of nuclear energy -- ships and power stations -- in which case we don't want any of that shit here, thank you very much!

Oooo I can see this could be a long thread.

MDU

ZX7 Rider
1st June 2005, 15:09
nice site - I look forward to posting more :banana:

I've had my fair share of speedy tickets - one was for being caught doing 140 (luckily I'd slowed down from 230) - I went to court and got off. I'm a girl - do you ad me to the list of tossers who get off tickets?? :nya: :gob:

MSTRS
1st June 2005, 15:17
nice site - I look forward to posting more :banana:

I've had my fair share of speedy tickets - one was for being caught doing 140 (luckily I'd slowed down from 230) - I went to court and got off. I'm a girl - do you ad me to the list of tossers who get off tickets?? :nya: :gob:
Not your fault, but if you'd had balls you'd have stayed at 230 :rofl: :rofl:

MrMelon
1st June 2005, 15:32
Oooh burn! :killingme

spudchucka
1st June 2005, 16:43
He'd been charged with dangerous, but the cops reduced it to careless.
If they couldn't prove dangerous driving then I would have thought that exceeding the posted speed limit would have been the appropriate charge. Why did they go to careless? What apart from his speed amounted to being careless? It sounds like it was some sort of a downgrade for a guilty plea, (plea bargain).

TonyB
1st June 2005, 16:47
Is that one nil to MSTRS?
My cousin got off with a slap on the wrist for a potentially nasty accident. He was speeding in an industrial area at night in the rain, went over a raised bridge that had a right hander immediately after. He lost control, spun out and hit a lamp post (possibly concrete) hard enough to demolish it, the left rear quarter of his 280Z had to be cut out and replaced.

Why did he get off with a warning? The judge said "you are a hard working young man from a fine and upstanding family" or something to that effect....

Pixie
2nd June 2005, 01:08
It's pronounced Nukular

Big Dave
2nd June 2005, 01:30

yeah screw the smoke detectors - we want safe shit like that Chernobyl and 5 Mile Island. And we'll get Union Carbide to run it!