PDA

View Full Version : Interesting comment by junior copper

Grizz
14th October 2005, 17:57
I was listening to the police channel in the cage on the way home, and was interested in some comments made by a a junior copper.

He asked if any units ahead of him could keep an eye out for a bike, he said that whilst he didn't see the bike do anything illegal he lost sight of him so he must be lane splitting.

When asked for a description he gave a partial reg., and then said that it was a late model bike, when pressed for further details he said it was a late model, you know "like the type that doesn't stop for us". "The ones with the LED's on the tail light".

Then another copper piped up with words to the effect of "Gotta be careful with the reg. these guys can use devices to flip over the numbers".

I don't have any issues with the Police, and for the most I reckon they do an excellent job, but these comments surprised me a little.

Glad I don't have LED's, maybe this makes me a less of a target?

FROSTY
14th October 2005, 18:02
hey dude--i diddnt realise you lived so close --shit--hope it wasnt me

Sparky Bills
14th October 2005, 18:10
come on people! WHO WAS IT????

Giving us good bikers a bad name! :whistle:

Grizz
14th October 2005, 18:10
hey dude--i diddnt realise you lived so close --shit--hope it wasnt me

Heya Frosty, I doubt it was you mate, unless your zimmerframe has LED's on its ass :bleh:

Paul in NZ
14th October 2005, 18:32
Oh FFS...

Has anyone ever seen a device for flipping over the plates... (what, 1 per million bikes?) Maybe these guys watch too many movies? No.. Hang on, aint seen any there either?

Perhaps this guy should be patrolling the sewers for white alligators...

Patrick
14th October 2005, 18:36
Oh FFS...

Has anyone ever seen a device for flipping over the plates... (what, 1 per million bikes?) Maybe these guys watch too many movies? No.. Hang on, aint seen any there either?

Perhaps this guy should be patrolling the sewers for white alligators...

There was a thread just a few weeks ago on KB just about this exact thing...someone reckoned they could make one even! Unsure about the led lights tho...probably thought he was on to WINJA

sAsLEX
14th October 2005, 18:44
i did some splitting at the lights on the way home tonight, across the intersection at the red light was a copper(s) in a ute, on the green i took off normal fast and had a squizz in the lux and he was looking straight back at me on the radio :eek5:

pull on to the motorway at fanshaw and one of the HP utes pulls out a bit infront of me from his possie on the side of the road, so no splitting foe me on the way home stuck about 500m off his tail and gave him/she no excuse

FROSTY
14th October 2005, 18:48
Heya Frosty, I doubt it was you mate, unless your zimmerframe has LED's on its ass :bleh:
well as a matter of fact..........

Magua
14th October 2005, 22:47
There was a Suzuki across on tardme some time ago with a revolving number plate.

Lou Girardin
17th October 2005, 13:42
i did some splitting at the lights on the way home tonight, across the intersection at the red light was a copper(s) in a ute, on the green i took off normal fast and had a squizz in the lux and he was looking straight back at me on the radio :eek5:

pull on to the motorway at fanshaw and one of the HP utes pulls out a bit infront of me from his possie on the side of the road, so no splitting foe me on the way home stuck about 500m off his tail and gave him/she no excuse

The Utes are motorway support - very limited powers, which don't include tickets for lane splitting.

Speedracer
15th November 2005, 13:41
I was under the impression lane splitting was legal - you are passing on the right effectively. I know passing on the left isn't koshier (like what scooters in particular seem to do in 50 zones) but I heard it was ok if the traffic is stopped. :confused:
Otherwise is it legal for cagers to share lanes with scooters when overtaking?

I also saw an ad on trademe a year or two ago, for a bike that apparently had something that flipped the number plate up. (I seem to recall the guy mentioned that you pulled on a handle which presumably had a piece of string or wire going to the hinged numberplate).

vifferman
15th November 2005, 13:44
I also saw an ad on trademe a year or two ago, for a bike that apparently had something that flipped the number plate up. (I seem to recall the guy mentioned that you pulled on a handle which presumably had a piece of string or wire going to the hinged numberplate).
I rode with two guys in Tauranga that had made up those - they used a choke cable or summat.

Sniper
15th November 2005, 13:47
I was under the impression lane splitting was legal - you are passing on the right effectively. I know passing on the left isn't koshier (like what scooters in particular seem to do in 50 zones) but I heard it was ok if the traffic is stopped. :confused:
Otherwise is it legal for cagers to share lanes with scooters when overtaking?

There have been quite a few debates on the legality of lane splitting. To the common sense its ok because you are passing on the right, same as you would when overtaking on the main road.

Its a very grey area with lots of points, but I still think (I could be wrong) that it is illegal.

MSTRS
15th November 2005, 14:35
There have been quite a few debates on the legality of lane splitting. To the common sense its ok because you are passing on the right, same as you would when overtaking on the main road.

Its a very grey area with lots of points, but I still think (I could be wrong) that it is illegal.
After all the threads about splitting, you still think it's a grey area. It has been well discussed & cop-inputted. It is legal under certain circumstances. It is considered as overtaking but must be within the same lane & to the right of the vehicle being overtaken, with a speed differential of under 20kph. IIRC of course.

Sniper
15th November 2005, 19:24
After all the threads about splitting, you still think it's a grey area. It has been well discussed & cop-inputted. It is legal under certain circumstances. It is considered as overtaking but must be within the same lane & to the right of the vehicle being overtaken, with a speed differential of under 20kph. IIRC of course.

Its a grey area for me just because of all the varied opinions

terbang
15th November 2005, 19:54
I ride every day and lane split all the time and if I see a rozzer nearby then I just tow the line, simple. If I get pulled over I just plead ignorance and say that I need to keep moving to keep my engine cool. Never been done for it yet...:spudguita

scumdog
21st November 2005, 21:51
Don't worry about the LED lights and revolving no. plates - it's the ones painted with 'special' stealth paint that are the crafty ones to watch!:blink:

Oh yeah, I've got about ten litres of 'special' stealth paint for sale....

avgas
21st November 2005, 22:20
Don't worry about the LED lights and revolving no. plates - it's the ones painted with 'special' stealth paint that are the craft ones to watch!:blink:
Have to agree there - when the z was matt black everyone thought i was dodgey.
If i still have her next year she will prob go back to that scheme - kept things interesting.

skidMark
21st November 2005, 22:30
um why do cops watch out for matt black vehicles how does that make them look dodgy?

and there was a member on here who was a cop who basically had a mental list to go through when they pull a mini chopper id really love to know what you check just so i know im all good :mellow:

avgas
21st November 2005, 22:31
Oh yeah, I've got about ten litres of 'special' stealth paint for sale....
How much per litre you after im contemplating a rat / cafe racer / Streetfighter with a new TEFLON surface.

scumdog
21st November 2005, 22:34
um why do cops watch out for matt black vehicles how does that make them look dodgy?

and there was a member on here who was a cop who basically had a mental list to go through when they pull a mini chopper id really love to know what you check just so i know im all good :mellow:

No - but the people that drive them are frequently dodgy!!

As far as the mini-chopper thing goes - next time I pull one up I'll let you know about my mental list thing.

The next time I pull one up would be the FIRST time I've pulled one up!!

scumdog
21st November 2005, 22:35
How much per litre you after im contemplating a rat / cafe racer / Streetfighter with a new TEFLON surface.

The TEFLON paint was a failure - the paint wouldn't stick to the brush so you couldn't paint ANYTHING!!

avgas
21st November 2005, 22:37
Who said it was a bad thing ;)
I still remember driving my lovely Sapporo round and having the cops pull me over asking "How my evening was going".......
Had one cop follow me for 10 mins after the rear tyres sparked up one time. Soon as i pulled over the cop came up and he was impressed (with the time i have put into the car) as he just thought i was a druggie or something.

skidMark
21st November 2005, 22:44
No - but the people that drive them are frequently dodgy!!

As far as the mini-chopper thing goes - next time I pull one up I'll let you know about my mental list thing.

The next time I pull one up would be the FIRST time I've pulled one up!!

maybe it wasnt you i dunno it was one of the lovely police officers on here lol

sunhuntin
22nd November 2005, 20:42
Who said it was a bad thing ;)
I still remember driving my lovely Sapporo round and having the cops pull me over asking "How my evening was going".......
Had one cop follow me for 10 mins after the rear tyres sparked up one time. Soon as i pulled over the cop came up and he was impressed (with the time i have put into the car) as he just thought i was a druggie or something.

brother used to own a classic 1970s holden monaro....always getting pulled over...but then, if i were a cop, id likely pull him over too, knowing him as i do. heck, id more than likely lock him up and throw away the key

scumdog
22nd November 2005, 21:47
brother used to own a classic 1970s holden monaro....always getting pulled over...but then, if i were a cop, id likely pull him over too, knowing him as i do. heck, id more than likely lock him up and throw away the key

I agree, if I couldn't own one myself why should any other bastard???

Test Pilot
23rd November 2005, 15:22
Paranoid cops!! wonder why we dont stop!!