PDA

View Full Version : Gr8 Rak Gloves - Being sold on TradeMe

sefer
14th October 2005, 22:59
Gr8 Rak (Sadly I only worked that out today, two weeks after… :) ) Gloves.

Ok, well I figured that there are likely some cheap bastards such as myself out there who might like an opinion on these gloves that are currently being sold (only) on TradeMe, usually at a dollar reserve. So after two weeks use here is my opinion.

I’ll just give a run down on the pros and cons for now, if you have a specific question just let me know :)

Pros:
Dupont Cordura upper, with goat leather palms.
Fingertips, knuckles and central palm are reinforced with goat leather.
Reinforced areas are double stitched with what appears to be high tensile nylon.
Water and windproof (tested in a reasonable amount of rain, but not a downpour).
Reasonably warm.
Gauntlet style glove that extends about three cm below the wrist.

Cons:
Sizing – I fit a medium in pretty much every glove I’ve ever tried on, but these med are huge on me, about a centermetre too big in the finger tips when worn, are fine if I pull the glove right down hard, but it doesn’t stay there (will get to that). The palm is also too wide by about 2cm, and this extends to the little finger. I could fit three fingers in the little finger if I wanted to. I’d like to think that this is simply a sizing issue, and had a got a small they’d be fine, but on examination it seems to be more to do with the cut of the glove.
Bunching: partly to do with the sizing, but the cut of the glove indicates to me that this would be a problem around the last two fingers and palm anyway. Ok for short rides, but after an hour and a half was making my palms hurt.
Closure – A Velcro ‘pull and stick’ type strip that passes through a plastic link is located at the wrist to holds these puppies on. This isn’t that tight on me, but it does stop the glove from being pulled off easily. This still leaves a lot of movement in all directions however, which does not help the sizing and bunching issues at all.
Not quite warm enough – Ok for this time of year.

Overall impressions:
Not a bad glove if you can get it real cheap (I paid $20 + $4 shipping for mine), I wouldn’t pay any more than that.
I’d suggest you ask for the sellers opinion on sizing, as I feel these gloves are much larger than average.
Great cheap commuter or pillion glove, and I’ll continue to use them for now, but I couldn’t recommend them for longer rides based on my comfort level while using them.

(not a fantastic review I know, don't you hate it when you can't think of what things are called :) )

maddog007
15th October 2005, 07:28
I got some at $24 ,& they are not a bad glove ,but i too have found them a cm to long in the fingers.

yasuka
23rd November 2006, 20:35
hi, I am the developer of gr8 rak products and welcome your feedback. Im guessing your referring to the long fingered cycle gloves if so I am in the process of changing suppliers and looking to make better sizing. Appreciate the criticism. Regards Chris

ben444
24th November 2006, 07:57
I got the the full fingered mountain bike gloves, they're great. Just wanted to say that.

yasuka
26th November 2006, 17:34
thanks Ben, we are attempting to bring a quality product to the market at a competitive price. Sounds Corney but we are trying to make cycling kit afordable for everyone. cheers Chris