PDA

View Full Version : Hi

moko
8th February 2004, 07:53
Havnt used this site for ages so re-introducing myself.Dave from Plymouth in S.W. England,45 and had 30-odd bikes over 28 years riding.Write for a bike mag now and then,helping a mate to get his bike site going when I have the time http://www.bobpickett.co.uk/bkit/index.html take a look sometime.Met Wari on a trip down-under last year,top bloke,hopefully get him over here sometime soon.Currently ride a Fazer 600,excellent machine and a top-seller all over Europe.Envy you guys your weather and your roads,if not your rugby team :devil2: Catch you later.

bluninja
8th February 2004, 08:14
Havnt used this site for ages so re-introducing myself.Dave from Plymouth in S.W. England,45 and had 30-odd bikes over 28 years riding.Write for a bike mag now and then,helping a mate to get his bike site going when I have the time http://www.bobpickett.co.uk/bkit/index.html take a look sometime.Met Wari on a trip down-under last year,top bloke,hopefully get him over here sometime soon.Currently ride a Fazer 600,excellent machine and a top-seller all over Europe.Envy you guys your weather and your roads,if not your rugby team :devil2: Catch you later.
So which bike mag? Thought all the journos were consigned to the Fens:Pokey:

moko
8th February 2004, 08:32
Not a pro journo mate,though I get a few quid petrol money out of it.Write for The Used Motorcycle Guide sometimes www.usedbikeguide.com .Just been up-dating some of the actual guide part of it.Dont think you can get it in N.Z. Basically it`s people writing reviews of bikes they`ve actually owned rather than journos thrashing the arse off of something around a racetrack.

Ogri
8th February 2004, 08:36
:Offtopic:

I really miss Bike and Performance Berk from the UK - have to grovel to the folks back home to send us subscriptions instead of birthday and chrissie presents. Really, really, really missing Dan's tales and Ogri and Malcolm's et al capers (my nemesis).

Maybe I could start a sorta lending library or something?????

bluninja
8th February 2004, 09:48

I really miss Bike and Performance Berk from the UK - have to grovel to the folks back home to send us subscriptions instead of birthday and chrissie presents. Really, really, really missing Dan's tales and Ogri and Malcolm's et al capers (my nemesis).

Well I've still got a freebie set of colour Ogri strips to celebrate the 300th one....found it when I emptied my comic boxes out.

Moko, well at least you're having fun doing something you enjoy.

moko
8th February 2004, 11:45
You`re right mate,when I stop enjoying it I stop doing it,no problems there.
For Ogri and our N.Z. bros who dont know what the/who the f*** we`re talking about Ogri is a comic strip that has been in BIKE magazine since the 70`s, take a look at this www.ogri.co.uk ,check out your next years Christmas present Ogri (kiwibiker version),they do compilation books of all the old cartoons.

Hitcher
8th February 2004, 12:53

I buy Bike here -- Magnetix on Midland Park stock it real regular like. Same for Performance Bike...

bluninja
8th February 2004, 13:01
I buy Bike here -- Magnetix on Midland Park stock it real regular like. Same for Performance Bike...
Most newsagents in Akl stock them as does motomail.....Just that they're 2 months old by the time you get to buy and read them.

Zed
8th February 2004, 13:08
Gidday Moko (sounds like a Maori word?)

Great to meet another 600cc biker. I currently ride a ZX-6R. I'm curious why you choose a 600?

...not sure what you meant by that rugby comment? A true compliment or just boasting in your WC victory?:sly:

Zed

LB
8th February 2004, 18:26
I'll second that - they usually have them air freighted over I believe, which is why they sometimes cost more than the older ones in other shops.

Bike is good, but Hamish doesn't like me buying PB as he says they thrash the bikes. (I still sometimes buy it secretly and read it at work at lunchtimes....don't tell him pse!!)

wkid_one
8th February 2004, 20:10
They are gr8 - they often have the airfreighted copies as well if you are prepared to part with considerably more cake for them

moko
9th February 2004, 02:31
Gidday Moko (sounds like a Maori word?)

Kind of a strange one that,it was the nickname of a Formula One driver I used to like as a kid,Brazilian guy called Carlos Pace,also being a total numpty at using the keyboard when I first got on-line all the letters are close together(look at your keyboard!!)so it was convienient too.Then I learned about the Maori word it was relevent because of my tattoos.Bit strange,as I`ve used moko as a password/username for years now to see the grave of Moko Moko on his Marae when I was in NZ,fate/synchronicity or something

Great to meet another 600cc biker. I currently ride a ZX-6R. I'm curious why you choose a 600?

Basically Zed it does everything I want it to do,our roads are crowded and full of speed cameras,the Fazer,or any 600 come to that is capable of nearly double the national speed limit and has the acceleration to stuff anything on 4 wheels plus I dont see the point in paying more insurance,road tax e.t.c. for very little gain.One of the bike mags here ran an interesting article comparing the Fazer 1000 with the 600 in everyday use and concluded that the smaller machine is actually better for most.Same reasons the 600 Hornet here is a massive seller and the 900 isnt to such an extent that my mate just bought a new 900 for less than the same dealer is selling 600`s for.Basically with the bigger bike all your getting is a bit more mid-range power and you jump about 3 groups higher on your insurance which for younger or less experienced riders is a major deal in the U.K.

...not sure what you meant by that rugby comment? A true compliment or just boasting in your WC victory?:sly:

Let`s just say you must be proud having the third best rugby team in the world :p

Zed

BIKE are not the only mag to say the new Fazer isnt as good as the old one,shame really as Yamaha didnt have any choice,the old motor failed the new emmission/noise regs so they couldn`t have kept it if they`d wanted to.Bloody stupid as people buy Aprilias,Ducatis e.t.c. with race pipes on and that`s o.k. because these are listed as options and marked "not for road use" while the bikes the Euro-dorks test are the standard ones and pass their tests.The chances of getting pulled for a noisy exhaust are pretty remote,though it does happen very occaissionally.Basically it`s a loop-hole the European manufacturers exploit but the japs dont,you wont find many Ducatis here with standard pipes on.

bluninja
9th February 2004, 07:17
BIKE are not the only mag to say the new Fazer isnt as good as the old one,shame really as Yamaha didnt have any choice,the old motor failed the new emmission/noise regs so they couldn`t have kept it if they`d wanted to.Bloody stupid as people buy Aprilias,Ducatis e.t.c. with race pipes on and that`s o.k. because these are listed as options and marked "not for road use" while the bikes the Euro-dorks test are the standard ones and pass their tests.The chances of getting pulled for a noisy exhaust are pretty remote,though it does happen very occaissionally.Basically it`s a loop-hole the European manufacturers exploit but the japs dont,you wont find many Ducatis here with standard pipes on.
Yes but you still have to swap back to the original exhaust to pass your MOT (WOF equivalent). Good job I still have my original Aprilia dustbin exhaust.

SPman
9th February 2004, 18:49
..............http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=468