PDA

View Full Version : Fitting a tail tidy - recommendations?

HEsch
31st January 2019, 10:45
Looking for recommendations on a place to fit a tail tidy. Auckland (central ish preferred) or Hamilton/nearby.

Coleman's have said it'll take an hour @ $130 - is this reasonable?

Cosmik de Bris
31st January 2019, 10:48
Looking for recommendations on a place to fit a tail tidy. Auckland (central ish preferred) or Hamilton/nearby.

I would say an hour is reasonable but $130 isn't.

Cheers

Berries
31st January 2019, 11:51
Looking for recommendations on a place to fit a tail tidy.
I'd aim for that bit above the back tyre where the number plate sits.

jellywrestler
31st January 2019, 12:54

are you purchasing the tail tidy of them or are you one of these people who expect to take a steak to a restaurant and get them to cook it for you?

Scubbo
31st January 2019, 13:04
stock one is fine, you won't be saving much >_> just leave it IMO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! plus its a LAMS bike so you gonsellit soon anyway?

AllanB
31st January 2019, 19:57
Assuming you have purchased the TT? If so post a picture or link so we can see what's required - they don't tend to be hard to fit but depending on the bike and it's mounting points it can be fiddly.

Is it a plug and play one for the indicators or are they accessory ones and you need to splice or add suitable connectors to mate to the stock wires?

Given the possible variables it could be 30 mins or the hour. Their rate is what it is.

For $130 you could purchase some tools of your own and fit it. Or F-it up and pay the dealer - either way you keep the tools :laugh:

russd7
31st January 2019, 20:52
For $130 you could purchase some tools of your own and fit it.
interesting one that one, I have tools that I have purchased and have only used once or twice because it was cheaper than paying a mechanic, and I also get the joy of doing it myself and working it out when things don't quite go right, the workshop manual that came with the wing has been awesome

pritch
31st January 2019, 21:04
Whether the tail tidy is easy to fit will depend on the quality of the item. Made in UK might be better than made in China.

That labour charge just looks like Auckland prices to me. Everything else costs more so the charge out rate is a bit higher than out here on the rural rump.

babysteps
31st January 2019, 23:59
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvTwSjFw7QQ

HEsch
1st February 2019, 11:43
are you purchasing the tail tidy of them or are you one of these people who expect to take a steak to a restaurant and get them to cook it for you?

If I were to get them to fit it, I would purchase from them.

I'd really rather not f the job up... I'm happy to pay someone to do it and get it right.

Swoop
1st February 2019, 14:32
If you are considering going to colemans, why not ask AJ at http://www.motohaus.co.nz/ who is 100m away...

jasonu
1st February 2019, 15:08
That labour charge just looks like Auckland prices to me. Everything else costs more so the charge out rate is a bit higher than out here on the rural rump.

There are some real tight pricks out there. Did you expect them to do it for 5 bucks or for free?

As long as they do it properly $130 is reasonable.
Or how about this? Do it yourself and save $130.